Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
STEELCRTN4EVER
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 2828
Default Get charged up!

I think this is a very important week for our team. San Diego is coming off a loss and we are playing at their house. We have had our bye week and now it is time to win football games. Our schedule isn't slouchy and I think we need this one, do you guys think we will see a much improved offense Sunday night?
STEELCRTN4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: Get charged up!

this game should be eazy peezy lemon squeezy. HOME FIELD? that has nothing to do with football, it does nothing unless you have an enclosed stadium, which will provide you with 2-3 false starts...woopie! if we stop LT and if we dont turn the ball over 5 times(ben,colclough,haynes,ben,ben), and our running game will be important against the chargers.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
4n2t0
Team Captain

Member Number: 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
this game should be eazy peezy lemon squeezy. HOME FIELD? that has nothing to do with football, it does nothing unless you have an enclosed stadium, which will provide you with 2-3 false starts...woopie! if we stop LT and if we dont turn the ball over 5 times(ben,colclough,haynes,ben,ben), and our running game will be important against the chargers.
You think false starts are the most important part of a home field? There are many reasons for what some call "home field advantage".

The rest of the stuff I agree with. Stop LT, run the ball (Or try too, the Chargers are great run defense), keep the turnovers to a minimum, and most importantly (In my mind) have Ben make two or three BIG passing plays.
4n2t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

I think home field is more psychological than anything. But you are both right, turnovers need to be limited, San Diego is comng off a tough game against the ravens. They will want to prove something against our D.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Ben must get his mojo going again or we are in for a long year... I believe that he will and I think we can go to San Diego and win again this year... we beat them last year and this years game will be just as tough I promise you that... if you think that this is gonna be a easy game then keep it to yourself cuz I dont want to hear about anymore easy games this season...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
wadester47
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2745

I am with the lemon squeezy guy,
SD is going to feal the ramifications of our pent up frustration. Oh lamens term" boot in their arse.

go steelers!!1
wadester47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

If we can keep LT in check on the ground, which the Steelers pretty much did in our last meeting with the Chargers, that is our first hurdle. Though he had 130 all purpose yards against us in that contest, 62 of those were on the ground and keeping LT under 100 yards and out of the endzone multiple times is a feat all in itself. The D needs to get to Rivers early and often and indoctrinate him properly into the NFL. On the other side of the ball, if we can open up our running attack with Willie/Verron/Duce, it will take some of the heat off of Ben. We need to establish the LOS early and mix it up. I am hoping that the Steelers utilize Heath Miller in this game more than they have in the past two games, as he has a great on-field rapport with Ben - he could be a difference maker in this game. No need to push the panic button just yet, but this game is pretty much a must-win for the Steelers. They need a win to push them back over that confidence barrier and with the Bungles on a bye and the Ravens facing a tough Broncs team in Denver on MNF, we can make up some crucial ground with a victory.

I'm hoping we see a Martyball type of game out of the Chargers (sorry Bolt) and that Cowher isn't infected across the field!

GO STEELERS!!!!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

With two excellent Run D's it could well be a battle of which QB can consistely hit his receivers to get some of the guys off the LOS.

Ordinarily you would back Ben hands down, but he hasn't looked very good so far this year and Rivers is growing game by game.

The coaching battle is won by Cowher by default.

I think Pittsburgh can pull this one out, but only if Ben can perform.

Fast Willie will not run on this San Diego D.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
SteelersFever
Founder

Member Number: 1

The Steelers should be coming into this game knowing that the Chargers can only beat them by running LT physically and effectively.

We all know the Chargers will use LT often and early to establish their running game.

The Steelers need to crowd the line of scrimmage and force the Chargers into passing situations, then put the pressure on young and still novice QB Philip Rivers while maintaining coverage to force early and misguided throws, which will eventually lead to a few turnovers for the Steelers defense if the ball is played correctly and passes aren't dropped.

The Chargers will attempt to complete a few deep passes to let the Steelers know they have the ability and to get them to back off slightly, and then fire right back with some more of LT or a screen pass. If the Steelers aren't prepared for the screen pass, they are usually taken advantage of, for huge gains.

The Steelers need to contain LT, pressure Rivers, and most importantly cannot miss tackles by the surprises that the Chargers will try or it will be another depressing loss for the Steelers unless Ben Roethlisberger and company can continue to match points.
SteelersFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

This is a must-win IMHO.

San Diego is at home,coming off a loss in a very tough,physical game.We are a tough,physical team.

We need to stop LT and make Rivers beat us,and I don't think he'll be able to.

We need to run or try to run (both set up play-action) and we need Ben to be sharp and smart out there.

Also,Holmes needs to return the punts.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote