Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #91
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Evgeni Malkin Staying or Coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
"Mr. Putin, give us our draft pick"

I'm confident Malkin will be sporting a Pens jersey next season. I have been confident ever since Tretiak took over. But can the Russians just agree to the agreement? We are talking about hockey players, not nuclear arms.
It's typical Russian greed, arrogance and hubris on display. The RHF obviously pressured Tretiak into rejecting the agreement because they think they can get more money by negotating directly with NHL teams, and that those teams will just fork over whatever they want. Bzzzt! Wrong! When they realize that they aren't going to put the NHL over a barrel and risk losing the oodles of cash they get for competing in international tournaments, they will sign the agreement.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #92
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
Hmmmm....

Wonder what number he'll wear.......
It definitely won't be #66 - Mario's number will be retired (again) at the start of the season. I'd like to see him wearing #88 or #86 - somewhere around Crosby's number.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #93
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Here is a story from the Trib today - it looks as if Malkin has indeed given his Russian team notice that he's leaving and will begin negotiations with the Pens. So it may turn out that he'll be over here after all

Pens, Malkin's agent opening talks
By Karen Price
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 3, 2006

No transfer deal, no problem.
Despite the Russian Ice Hockey Federation's refusal to sign a deal that would allow its players to leave for the NHL, the Penguins and Evgeni Malkin's agent are opening contract negotiations, and the top prospect should be in the lineup on opening night.

"The (NHL) announced that clubs would be free to sign players given that (Russia has) not been able to agree to a transfer agreement, and, as a result, we're going to move ahead and negotiate with Pittsburgh," Malkin's agent, Don Meehan, said Wednesday. "That's a priority for us now."

The NHL gave the Russian Ice Hockey Federation until Monday to sign a transfer deal that was negotiated and ratified in June after president Vladislav Tretiak and general director Sergey Arutyunyan traveled to the United States to meet with deputy commissioner Bill Daly and commissioner Gary Bettman.

Daly confirmed yesterday that they were moving ahead without Russia on board with the other European countries that signed the transfer agreement last summer.

"There is no longer a possibility of an agreement this year that will involve the Russian Federation joining our existing player transfer agreement," Daly said.

But, Daly added, that does not necessarily mean that Russian players cannot come to the NHL.

"If the player can secure his own release, either pursuant to the terms of his existing Russian contract or pursuant to applicable Russian law, NHL clubs will be free to sign such player, and the resulting NHL contract will be registered and approved as valid for play in the NHL," Daly said.

Malkin is under contract to his Russian team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, through 2008. But a provision in Russian labor law allows employees to leave their jobs whether a contract exists or not after giving two weeks' written notice.

Malkin has already given such notice, Meehan said yesterday.

"We have followed the provision under that law, and we've given the appropriate notice," said Meehan, who said that he spoke with Penguins general manager Ray Shero yesterday. "Now, the next step after that would be to negotiate with Pittsburgh."

It turns out that Malkin is the primary reason why the Russians wouldn't sign the deal.

The existing transfer agreement between the IIHF and NHL calls for a fixed transfer fee of $200,000 for each player who leaves his European team for the NHL. Ultimately, that figure was simply not acceptable to the Russian Federation when it came to Malkin.

"Evgeni Malkin is a Russian hockey star," Arutyunyan said through a translator from the Federation yesterday. "We deem that the payment for his transfer has to be more than $200,000 dollars. But (the) NHL doesn't want to do that."

There is a chance that Magnitogorsk will attempt to sue either Malkin or the Penguins despite his notification that he is leaving.

"Russian clubs will have legal proceedings against NHL clubs in courts if NHL clubs sign contracts with Russian players who have valid contracts with Russian clubs," Arutyunyan said.

Last year, Washington Capitals rookie Alexander Ovechkin was sued by his former team in Russia, Moscow Dynamo, which tried to have the U.S. District Court in Washington enforce a Russian arbitration board's ruling that Ovechkin had to honor his contract through 2005-06.

But that lawsuit was dismissed by the judge, who ruled that his court did not have jurisdiction to enforce the Russian board's ruling.

"The fact that a Russian team may sue doesn't necessarily mean they have a valid claim," Daly said.

Meehan said he expects to negotiate the contract, which as an entry-level deal is capped at $984,200 plus bonuses under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, over the next week.

Malkin, 20, was the Penguins' top pick and the second pick overall in 2004. He is considered the best player outside of the NHL and last year was third in scoring in the Russian Elite League. He is expected to the Penguins' No. 2 center behind second-year star Sidney Crosby.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_464511.html
Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #94
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pens' Announcer Mike Lange Fired!

Lange will be Penguins radio play-by-play announcer
Thursday, August 03, 2006
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Lange's 30-year tenure with the Penguins will continue.

Lange, fired June 29 as the television voice of the team, has agreed to terms with the club to be their radio broadcastser.

Lange was fired by FSN Pittsburgh, which holds the rights to the Penguins telecasts. The day he was fired the team offered him its radio job, which became vacant when Paul Steigerwald moved to Lange's old job on television. The Penguins own their own radio rights.

Joining Lange as color analyst will be Phil Bourque, who will enter his third season in the radio booth. Lange and Bourque likely will be broadcasting on a new flagship station. The Penguins games are expected to be moved from WWSW-FM (94.5) to WXDX-FM (105.9) next season. The games also will be heard on the AM dial at Fox Sports Radio 970.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06215/710855-100.stm
Old 08-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #95
dhosmer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2604
Default Re: Pens' Announcer Mike Lange Fired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
Some Lange-isms:

Book 'em Dano

Buy Sam a drink and get his dog one too

Call Arnold Slick from Turtle Creek.

Donna needs a donut

Get in the fast lane grandma, the bingo game is ready to roll.

Get that dog off my lawn

Go ahead....Make My Day.

Great balls of fire.

Hallejulah Hollywood.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shoots and scores.

He doesn't know whether to cry or wind his watch.

He's smiling like a butcher's dog.

How much fried chicken can you eat?

I'll be cow kicked.

Ladies and Gentleman, Elvis has just left the building.

Let's go hunt some moose on a Harley.

Look out Loretta.

Michael, Michael Motorcycle.

Never teach a pig to sing.

Oh no, Eddy Spaghetti.

Scratch my back with a hacksaw.

She wants to sell my monkey.

Stop the press.

You ain't nothin' but a hound dog

You would have to be here to believe it.
That's an impressive list. One I'll never forget from the glory years - He beat him like a rented mule!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #96
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Well, Malkin has changed his mind and has decided to stay in Russia this season. To say that I'm extremely disappointed and downright pissed would be an understatement.

MOSCOW -- Russian teenager Evgeni Malkin will not play in the National Hockey League this season after agreeing to a new contract with Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

Metallurg said that Malkin, the Pittsburgh Penguins' No. 1 pick in 2004, had annulled his previous contract with the Russian Superleague club, which would have kept him in Magnitogorsk through April 2008. Instead, he has agreed to a new one-year deal after which he will become a free agent.

Malkin, who has never played for Pittsburgh, had stated his desire to join the NHL this year, saying he wanted to prove himself at a higher level.

His agent said that the Russian, who turned 20 last week, had even signed an entry-level contract with the Penguins.

But Metallurg said that meeting club president Viktor Rashnikov Malkin had changed his mind.

Metallurg had no intention of releasing its most prized asset after Russia refused to sign a transfer agreement with the NHL last week.

Under the old agreement Magnitogorsk would have received a basic $200,000 fee for Malkin while his Russian club wanted at least 10 times more.

The talented center, who has already been compared with Pittsburgh owner, the great Mario Lemieux, has been the most sought-after player by the NHL this year.

Pittsburgh drafted Malkin second overall in 2004 behind fellow Russian Alexander Ovechkin, who took the NHL by storm last season, winning the Calder Trophy as the best rookie.

The Penguins wanted to unite Malkin with another teenage sensation Sydney Crosby, who finished second behind Ovechkin in the voting for rookie of the year award.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2542025
Old 08-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #97
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Again I find myself not really sure what to make of this whole thing. The majority of the time I found myself very confident in Malkin's debut this year. The whole "two week notice" statement was complete B.S. in my opinion. If that was the case we could have had this kid a long time ago. If this ends up playing out this way, definitively for this year, then I think it probably came down to Malkin not wanting to leave on bad terms.

What I really don't get is Velichkin's actions in this whole thing. On the surface, this appears to be some kind of compromise that allows Malkin to give another year to Mettalurg and then be free to pursue his goals in the NHL on good terms, but I just do not trust Velichkin. Even if Russia got a more favorable transfer agreement offered to them, their supposed goal was to improve their league, so you would think Velichkin is going to continue to do everything in his power to keep Malkin as long as possible.

This also brings me to question whether there was actually any kind of handshake agreement that Malkin could leave when he wanted. If there was, further reason to not trust Velichkin. If there wasn't, maybe he will actually let Malkin go when he wants. His statements about this whole situation have been a little unsettling, and I don't really think he has ever committed himself to one line of thinking or another. Furthermore I don't really think the RHFs motives have ever been very clear in all of this.

Something about this contract business just doesn't feel right. Mettalurg does not want to let him go for nothing now, but is willing to let him go for nothing next year? I'll believe it when I see it.

No matter what does happen, if Malkin ends up staying, Brisson better be smart enough to have him serve his "military" duties, because that is one card that hasn't been pulled in all of this yet.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-07-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #98
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

The latest article in this ongoing saga, saying that Malkin may still come over despite this latest "contract signing," and has once again changed agents. I'm at the point now where I wish they would make a decision one way or the other, because all of this drama has gotten to be ridiculous. Or better yet, let's use that idea about sending over a team of special forces led by Sidney Crosby to take out the Russian mob, because they're really the ones behind all of this.

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Evgeni Malkin still wants to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins as soon as possible, his agent said Monday, even though Malkin's Russian team announced the star forward has renegotiated his contract and plans to stay out of the NHL for another season.

Russian super league team Metallurg Magnitogorsk posted a story Monday on its Web site that Malkin met late into Sunday night with team officials and had reworked a three-year contract into a one-year deal that would allow him to become a free agent in 2007.
However, Malkin's agent, JP Barry, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that Malkin told him he wants to play in the NHL this season. Malkin also has been quoted in Russia as saying he wants to play in Pittsburgh soon.

"His wish is to play in the NHL, and in Pittsburgh," Barry said. "We will continue to talk to him about his future, and we will decide the best course for him at this time."

Malkin's agents, Barry and Pat Brisson, apparently were not with him in Russia during his talks with Metallurg.

Penguins spokesman Tom McMillan said the team was aware of the Russian team's announcement, but had no comment until it could sort out what was going on.

Malkin was the No. 2 pick in the June 2004 draft behind last season's rookie of the year, fellow Russian Alexander Ovechkin, and is widely considered the best player in the world not playing in the NHL. The Penguins have been planning for Malkin to join them next month, especially after the Russian hockey federation said it would sign a transfer agreement allowing its players to move to the NHL for a $200,000 fee that would be split by all the Russian teams.

The other major European hockey federations already follow the transfer agreement. Russia did not do so last season, thus blocking Malkin from joining the Penguins a year ago.

But the Russian federation didn't sign the agreement despite considerable lobbying by new president Vladislav Tretiak, apparently because of considerable pressure from top Russian clubs that want to negotiate much higher transfer fees for star players such as Malkin. Malkin's club is believed to want $2 million or more for Malkin's rights.

Also complicating the issue is Malkin's repeated switching of agents. Until June, he was represented by Barry and Brisson, who also represent Penguins star Sidney Crosby. Malkin then hired Don Meehan, who was giving interviews as Malkin's agent until late last week. However, Malkin rehired Barry and Brisson within the last few days.

Meehan said last week that the 20-year-old Malkin could circumvent his Russian contract and leave to play for the Penguins by simply resigning his job and giving the team a two-week notice that he was leaving. Russian law apparently permits such resignations, even if a contract is in place.

Malkin's new agents are believed to be exploring using the same loophole to get Malkin into the NHL this season.

The Penguins have been counting on getting Malkin to join a mostly youthful team that already includes Crosby, who had 102 points as an 18-year-old rookie, and Jordan Staal, the No. 2 pick in the recent NHL draft. The team showed video of Malkin playing in the Olympics on its scoreboard during late-season home games this year in an effort to boost season ticket sales.

Malkin led Metallurg with 47 points, including 21 goals, in 46 games last season. He also was one of the top players in the Olympics, with two goals and six points for Russia.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5852720
Old 08-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #99
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Hopefully Evgeni gets over here soon. I really want to see him play in the Black and Gold This year. GET THE JOB DONE PENGUINS!!!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 08-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #100
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Well, the only FA centers on the market now are.........

Jason Allison (31), Yanic Perreault (35), Trevor Linden (36), Jan Hrdina (30), Greg Johnson (35), Jim Dowd (37), Boyd Devereaux (27), Erik Rasmussen (29) and Clarke Wilm (29).

IF they're sure that Malkin will be here after this season...,

I'd almost rather see them look to someone already in house (Malone, probably). At the very least, I'd rather see them explore a short-term solution rather than give up something significant to get someone like Gomez who many would like to see grab from the Devils, (And I won't even discuss the fact that it's going to take a lot more than a marginal defenseman and a marginal prospect to get a player like Gomez. I understand they may have to move him, but LL isn't going to take pennies on the dollar like that. He'll find someone who has a prospect or two that fits their system and make a deal there.)

If you're going to bring someone in from the outside, it doesn't make any sense to me to get someone who would factor into the depth chart on the top two lines past this year. That's why I'd nix the Gomez idea. I'd rather spend the money on someone who can be had for a one-year, low-cost deal - someone like Greg Johnson or Yanic Perrault. I'll pass on Jason Allison (his injuries worry me) and I'm not sure about Hrdina. He had confidence issues back when Hlinka and Kehoe were coaching. I can't imagine he'd do too well under Therrien.