Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #10201
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Yep, Sid is doing really well this season.

He will easily surpass his career high for goals, hell I believe he might have already matched his season high already (I'm too lazy right now to look it up ). I was hoping he would get a fourth goal tonight since the announcers kept pointing out that he's never had four within a single game.

I also found it interesting that a few games back the announcers pointed out that Geno and Sid had never, up to that point, had multiple goals each within a single game. That fascinated me.

I had assumed that had happened many, many times before.

Sid's career high is 39 goals, set in his rookie season, so yeah, he's going to shatter that since he already has 37. He's on pace to score 54 goals, which will certainly put him in the running for the Rocket Richard trophy for the league's leading goal scorer and he would become the first Penguin in 13 years to score 50 goals in a season. He's currently tied with the Sharks' Patrick Marleau for the league lead, 2 ahead of Capt. Caveman, and if the season ended today, he would win the Richard since he has more points.

The Isles game 2 weeks ago was the first time Sid and Geno had multiple goals in a game, which shocked me too. I had figured they'd done it at least once, but then again, until this season, Geno had always been the better goal scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
XT and I were at the game last night and it was great to feel the energy in the arena.

What a game by Sid! I was excited for Letestu getting his first NHL goal! Miller really looked shaken in that 2nd period - I really thought we were going to see Lalime in the 3rd.

Lots of Sabes fans in attendance - we had a couple of 'em 2 rows behind us who were yucking it up and having a grand old time until we took a 4-3 lead and then went up 5-3. I so enjoyed sticking it to 'em after the Pens 5th goal.

I, too, am going to have Pens withdrawal until Saturday's game against the Habs.

LETS GO PENS!
Well, when the Sabres went up by 2, I didn't have a good feeling about the game and thought it was going to be a repeat of the Sens game, but fortunately Sid would have none of that. He put the team on his back and carried them to that win. Just an unbelievable performance from an unbelievable player.

As for those Sabres fans, all I can say is...

"Welcome to Buffalo. We finish 2nd better than anyone!"
Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #10202
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
As for those Sabres fans, all I can say is...

"Welcome to Buffalo. We finish 2nd better than anyone!"
As I told them last night - that game was the City of Champs vs. the City of Chumps.

0 Super Bowl trophies
0 Stanley Cups

They sure yack a lot for having nothing to show.

I cracked up when that one guy told 'em "welcome to a winning arena".

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #10203
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Right.

Both of them hot and on their game and I don't see how we can be beat.
You still need Flower to be on his best form too.

And Staal is much more than a role player these days too.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #10204
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
You still need Flower to be on his best form too.

And Staal is much more than a role player these days too.
Yep, it takes more than the two-headed monster and will need contributions from the whole team to get far in the playoffs, but if Geno and Sid are firing on all cylinders and get super hot then it will more then make up for mistakes, and their consequences, in any given game and should put us in a good position - the W column.

Completely agree on Jordan. Not sure if something I said that you might have taken out of context regarding him, but he's a very good player on offense and hands down the best defensive center we have on the roster.

XT and HTG - you guys sound like it would be an absolute blast to go to a game with!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #10205
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Yep, it takes more than the two-headed monster and will need contributions from the whole team to get far in the playoffs, but if Geno and Sid are firing on all cylinders and get super hot then it will more then make up for mistakes, and their consequences, in any given game and should put us in a good position - the W column.

Completely agree on Jordan. Not sure if something I said that you might have taken out of context regarding him, but he's a very good player on offense and hands down the best defensive center we have on the roster.

XT and HTG - you guys sound like it would be an absolute blast to go to a game with!
No, I had no real issue with what you said, i just wanted to add on to the conversation.

Anyway Staal is a guy I just love to watch play. He'll never be flashy, but he helps a team in so many ways I just wanted to throw him into the mix.

Also I think Fleury is right up there with Crosby and Malkin in overall importance for post season success. It's hard to win a Cup with anything less than top notch goalkeeping, no matter how well your skaters are playing.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #10206
Shea
Head Coach

Completely agree with you on Jordan, Zu - love the guy and the way he plays and what he brings to the team. I cringe when he's the one headed to the sin bin (along with Gonch) due to the fact that he'll then be unavailable for the PK. He's definitely not a one dimensional player.

And you're right about goalkeeping as well, the playoffs won't be all about Sid and Geno - Fleury will definitely play a part. My point being though that with those two they can more than make up for a bad goal here and there, by easily scoring on any given shift to quickly make up for bad defense or goal-tending.

I'm again getting way ahead of myself though. Need to just concentrate on the season and where it is to date and worry about the playoffs when they are upon us.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #10207
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Yes Agree with both of you. Its great if when Playoff time comes around and Geno and Sid are hot, but the whole team needs to contribute as they did last season.
Jordan Staal and Max Talbot for example stepped up huge. If Max doesn't score the 2 goals in game 7 and Sid getting injured it could have been a whole new story.

The Third line is so reliable you almost exclude them because they are always clutch. I like the chances of Fluery being hot for playoff time. He is getting his time to contribute with the W's and heal up just fine. He has been in the PO's before and will be better prepared and with Sid, and Geno on fire and the third line as well this will be a deadly team heading down the stretch.

Only 1 point behind the Dev's as of yesterday they may have played today not sure? I believe this team is getting hot during the right time and if they can keep this up to finish the season they will be a team to reckon with.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #10208
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Yep, it takes more than the two-headed monster and will need contributions from the whole team to get far in the playoffs
Absolutely. This team has a plethora of talent and is very capable of repeating as champs this season, as long as they can stay healthy and everyone goes out there and plays their game. Another player who is crucial to the Pens success down the stretch and into the playoffs is Sergei, as evidenced by their W-L record and inability to score on the PP without him.

Quote:
Well - you may find yourself trying to find the nearest seat to crawl under when we get on a roll with our comments.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #10209
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Absolutely. This team has a plethora of talent and is very capable of repeating as champs this season, as long as they can stay healthy and everyone goes out there and plays their game. Another player who is crucial to the Pens success down the stretch and into the playoffs is Sergei, as evidenced by their W-L record and inability to score on the PP without him.
And to back up your last point:

Quote:
8 Games missed by Gonchar during which Penguins surrendered at least four goals (team record: 1-7-0)

2.46 Average goals-allowed in 41 games played by Gonchar (team record: 28-12-1). The Penguins are a mid-level team without Gonchar (7-9, to be exact - XT). With him playing the past two seasons, their record is 45-16-5 and their power play operates at 20.1 percent. Without Gonchar, they are 35-33-5 and their power-play efficiency is 14 percent.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

The numbers simply do not lie. It's all the more reason why they need to get him re-signed ASAP.

Quote:
Well - you may find yourself trying to find the nearest seat to crawl under when we get on a roll with our comments.
It's like I always say...people just have no idea what they'd be in for if they hung out with us for a day, especially you with the quick-witted one-liners.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #10210
Shea
Head Coach

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
It's like I always say...people just have no idea what they'd be in for if they hung out with us for a day, especially you with the quick-witted one-liners.
Nope, I'd have a blast. I enjoy you guys here and just know I would in "real life" as well.

Plus, I'm a pretty shy person so I love outgoing personalities - it helps to bring me out of my shell.

Who knows ..... maybe by the third period when I'd probably finally join in then the two of you would be the ones looking for seats to crawl under.
Closed Thread