Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #10311
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
Oh, I undestand. I just look at this picture when I see the same Capitals fans talking the same smack they talked last year.

I was irritated when Scuderi left. But I didn't think things would fall apart like this.

I wonder if the Devils are looking to let go of a defenseman.
I certainly didn't expect it to happen. In Scuderi's case I can understand him wanting a big contract and the Pens just couldn't afford it. But losing Hal Gill has turned out to be just as big a loss, and the Pens had every opportunity to re-sign him. Goligoski and Letang will both be fine offensive defensemen, but they need to learn how to play better defense, especially Goligoski.

Last rumor I heard, the Pens were looking at going after Tim Gleason from Carolina. I would not be opposed to that - Gleason is exactly what they need on the blue line.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #10312
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Great picture...but what they did last season means nothing this season.

The Pens need help if they want to repeat that picture this season...
I don't neccessarily agree. I think the Pens skated circles around the Caps for the first 35 minutes yesterday, but then the schedule kicked in and they played the last 25 minutes with dead legs.

The Pens proved last year that they can win a game 7 in Washington if needed. When the games matter ( playoffs) I think we'll see that the Pens are still the better overall team.

But it still will be close.

Keep the faith.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #10313
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
I'm going to drink some koolaid and post this.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #10314
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
No, the Craps, as much as it makes me want to vomit, are an amazing team. You don't win 14 straight games if you aren't. The Pens are a GOOD team, but not amazing by any stretch. Like I said, they have too many glaring weaknesses, the biggest being on defense, where they have just one guy who plays physical and tough and others are constantly out of position. The forwards turning the puck over so much doesn't help their defense either.
Oh sure they're a great team right now and the Pens are looking a bit mediocre at the moment...but it's nowhere near as bad as they looked last year before Bylsma came around.

Plus, being hot in the regular season means jack when playoffs roll around. Sharks learned that lesson last year and the Pens lead by Mario learned back in '93. Having to struggle a little gives a team more character when playoffs come around IMO.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #10315
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

ovechkin will never win a ring simples!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #10316
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Oh sure they're a great team right now and the Pens are looking a bit mediocre at the moment...but it's nowhere near as bad as they looked last year before Bylsma came around.

Plus, being hot in the regular season means jack when playoffs roll around. Sharks learned that lesson last year and the Pens lead by Mario learned back in '93. Having to struggle a little gives a team more character when playoffs come around IMO.
I agree the last two seasons had their rough times where they couldn't win two games in a row and it is no different this season. This is the time of the season where Shero will work his magic and pick up some great rental players or keepers to give the Pens a huge boost heading into the playoffs. The Pens are a hidden treasure in the Playoffs so watch out they will improve.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #10317
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
No, the Craps, as much as it makes me want to vomit, are an amazing team. You don't win 14 straight games if you aren't. The Pens are a GOOD team, but not amazing by any stretch. Like I said, they have too many glaring weaknesses, the biggest being on defense, where they have just one guy who plays physical and tough and others are constantly out of position. The forwards turning the puck over so much doesn't help their defense either.
While Backstrom, Semin and Knuble have had really good seasons thus far, the Craps had better hope that Captain Ug doesn't get hurt and have to miss an extended period of time, as without him, they're a little above average but not "amazing". Even if the Pens don't get far in the playoffs this season, I just don't see the Caps winning the Cup. As someone else mentioned - racking up wins and stats in the regular season doesn't mean jack shit if you choke in the playoffs as the Craps have a history of doing.

Just heard on KDKA that Teemu Salanne and Ethan Moreau are high on the Pens radar.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #10318
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
While Backstrom, Semin and Knuble have had really good seasons thus far, the Craps had better hope that Captain Ug doesn't get hurt and have to miss an extended period of time, as without him, they're a little above average but not "amazing". Even if the Pens don't get far in the playoffs this season, I just don't see the Caps winning the Cup. As someone else mentioned - racking up wins and stats in the regular season doesn't mean jack shit if you choke in the playoffs as the Craps have a history of doing.

Just heard on KDKA that Teemu Salanne and Ethan Moreau are high on the Pens radar.
language language! just joking.

agreed.
I don't think the Caps will ever be great, you cant rely one 1 person in the playoffs, when in the playoffs you have the play your best no error for mistake, yea it's got a 7 game series, but if u lose 1 game and u fall behind that's two games u gotta go out and win in about 4-6 nights, a hard thing to do in a fast paced game. emotions running high, when he had an off game in game 7 last year, look what happened, they were crushed by a better overall team, with 2 overall better players.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #10319
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

I just feel the Pens success will come from two things:
1. Shero needs to have an excellent trading period as he has had the last few seasons
2.The Pens need to have external scoring. Sid, Staal and Gonch will not cut it. Adams 0 goals this season, Id loe to get Max back and get a few goals from the 4th line and Kennedy as well needs to step up. It's sad when one of the teams top scorers is Cooke who is on the third line and in no way known for goal scoring.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #10320
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

I dunno, they were still scoring a lot of goals in the 10 games Captain Ug (love that nick) missed this season. I don't think they'd hurt that much for scoring. Losing Backstrom might actually be a little more damaging to them than losing Captain Ug, because they do not have any other centers who are anything close to him when it comes to dishing out the puck. With Backstrom out, teams will just take away Ug and force Semin and the others to beat them. Look at how lost Ug was when Backstrom took that misconduct yesterday - he's that important to that team.

Selanne and Moreau...ugh. More old guys, and injury-prone ones to boot. Selanne has scored 17 goals in 33 games though. Still, can we bring in someone who isn't 38 or older for once?