Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #10391
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
That's interesting - I didn't know that. Especially, since hockey is such a popular part of the winter games. If the men are playing, then the women should always be given the same opportunity to compete.

I watched the USA game against Russia today and it was another blowout - 13-0 which surprised me. I had assumed since it was Russia that their team would be a serious contender and full of talent. Wasn't the case.

I've never watched the women play before, and it isn't as physical as the mens' game, but damn if some of those girls aren't highly skilled. Makes me wish I could play.
You'd think that, but really, outside of the U.S. and Canada, women just don't play hockey nearly as much, not even in hockey-mad countries like Russia or Sweden. They are completely outgunned and overmatched in every game. I agree with SCM - eventually women's hockey is going to be dropped, because you know going in it's going to be the U.S. and Canada for the gold, and no one else has a chance in hell. Where's the fun in that?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 AM   #10392
WH

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
You'd think that, but really, outside of the U.S. and Canada, women just don't play hockey nearly as much, not even in hockey-mad countries like Russia or Sweden. They are completely outgunned and overmatched in every game. I agree with SCM - eventually women's hockey is going to be dropped, because you know going in it's going to be the U.S. and Canada for the gold, and no one else has a chance in hell. Where's the fun in that?
Yeah, ya know how those Swedish women got ''outgunned and overmatched'' 4 year ago (when they booted the US and won the silver.)

Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #10393
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
Yeah, ya know how those Swedish women got ''outgunned and overmatched'' 4 year ago (when they booted the US and won the silver.)
Oops, yeah you got me there. Forgot about that. So that's 3 teams and then...everyone else.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 AM   #10394
WH

Member Number:

Quote:
Oops, yeah you got me there. Forgot about that. So that's 3 teams and then...everyone else.
Yeah, I agree completely. Just had to defend the wife's motherland. Some of those eastern european women just don't want to play hockey. Maybe they've discovered softball.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 AM   #10395
WH

Member Number:

Whoever laid out the Men's hockey games' schedule had their head up their ass.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #10396
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
Whoever laid out the Men's hockey games' schedule had their head up their ass.
Yeah...who was the genius that thought it would be a good idea to start a game at 8:55pm PST (11:55 EST)? It's too damn late for anyone to watch. They should have played them at noon, 3:00 and 6:00 PST, so that no one would have to stay up until 2:30am to watch a game in the Eastern time zone. Sounds like something Gary Bettman would do.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #10397
WH

Member Number:

Agreed, XT, agreed.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #10398
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
That's interesting - I didn't know that. Especially, since hockey is such a popular part of the winter games. If the men are playing, then the women should always be given the same opportunity to compete.

I watched the USA game against Russia today and it was another blowout - 13-0 which surprised me. I had assumed since it was Russia that their team would be a serious contender and full of talent. Wasn't the case.

I've never watched the women play before, and it isn't as physical as the mens' game, but damn if some of those girls aren't highly skilled. Makes me wish I could play.
Yeah, they are very talented, but womens hockey just isn't big in many countries. And the reason it's not as physical is because they aren't allowed to check...it's a penalty. I bet they wish they could though.

What's crazy is, Slovakia (the team that Canada beat 18-0...and I think they layed off a bit towards the end) qualified for the Olympics by beating Bulgaria 82-0. That's freaking insane. I can't even remember what the shot totals were, but it was well into the hundreds for Slovakia and maybe not even into the double digits for Bulgaria. Talk about a blowout. I just think unless other countries besides USA, Canada and Sweden step up their womens hockey programs it'll go the way of womens softball and be taken out. It just isn't very competitive or fun to watch.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #10399
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Yeah...who was the genius that thought it would be a good idea to start a game at 8:55pm PST (11:55 EST)? It's too damn late for anyone to watch. They should have played them at noon, 3:00 and 6:00 PST, so that no one would have to stay up until 2:30am to watch a game in the Eastern time zone. Sounds like something Gary Bettman would do.
I was so ticked off at the hockey scheduling yesterday, and not just because of the late start. The USA game started when it was posted online to start...but the Canada vs. Norway game didn't actually get televised until 8pm (which granted, was it's listed online time) yet the game had started at 7:30pm. What was being shown during the first period? Well, women's curling of course lol. They had also listed the start time of the Russia vs. Latvia game as 12:30am online and turned it on to find it well into the first period and the score already 2-0 Russia. Sorta ticked me off a bit.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #10400
WH

Member Number:

Thank you Dick Ebersol, you ****.

Closed Thread