Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #10441
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
None of that is going to make HTG happy, because Gonchar is by far and away her favorite player. But I've said before that if he insists on asking for $6 million a year, which he says is market value, then he can take his services elsewhere. I love Sarge and I truly do appreciate all he's done for the team and for Geno, and is as great a human being as you can find. But this is a business, and the Pens simply cannot afford to pay him that much money in a long-term deal. He has to be willing to either accept a short-term deal for more money or a lesser amount over a longer-term deal. There's no other way it's going to get done. The Pens have to think about the best interests of the organization, and risking having a $5 million or $6 million cap hit on a retired player (Gonchar would be 40 at the end of a 4-year deal - certainly retirement age) even for one season would cripple the team. Also, at the end of those 4 years, Crosby's contract will be up, Staal the year before, and Malkin the year after. They will need all of the money they can get if they want to keep all 3 of those guys.
Lets tag him ... oops sorry wrong sport. I have to agree about letting Serge go if he wants 6 million. It's just not doable for a player at his age, given the Pen's cap situation.

As for HTG, here is the plan. If they let Serge go we have this guy deliver the news to her.

That ought to hold her over for a bit.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 03-02-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #10442
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

McKenzie: "Carolina's Ray Whitney may not get dealt at deadline unless the L.A. King scenario gets revived. It's his call but Pittsburgh appears out."

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
Old 03-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #10443
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

FYI...

Starting tonight

Directv : Center Ice free trial from 3/2 thru 3/8.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
Old 03-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #10444
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
None of that is going to make HTG happy, because Gonchar is by far and away her favorite player. But I've said before that if he insists on asking for $6 million a year, which he says is market value, then he can take his services elsewhere. I love Sarge and I truly do appreciate all he's done for the team and for Geno, and is as great a human being as you can find. But this is a business, and the Pens simply cannot afford to pay him that much money in a long-term deal. He has to be willing to either accept a short-term deal for more money or a lesser amount over a longer-term deal. There's no other way it's going to get done. The Pens have to think about the best interests of the organization, and risking having a $5 million or $6 million cap hit on a retired player (Gonchar would be 40 at the end of a 4-year deal - certainly retirement age) even for one season would cripple the team. Also, at the end of those 4 years, Crosby's contract will be up, Staal the year before, and Malkin the year after. They will need all of the money they can get if they want to keep all 3 of those guys.
Damned straight I'm not happy. He's not only my favorite Pen - he's my favorite Pittsburgh athlete of all time, which includes the Pirates, Pens and Steelers.

While I agree that $6 mil per season is pretty far-fetched, he is certainly more than worthy of receiving a 3 or 4 year contract at 4 - 4.5 mil after all he has done for this team and organization and how vital he is to the team's future success. I see Serg playing AT LEAST 4 more seasons barring serious injury. If Shero thinks GoGo or Letang are going to make a hair on Serg's cute hiney anytime soon, me thinks he's going to be in for a very rude awakening.

WAKE UP SHERO - this is one guy you just can't afford to let go.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #10445
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Havent posted in here in a while, good to see so many more people posting.

Excited to get to see the Pens back in action tonight, looking forward to seeing Leopold in a Pens jersey for the first time. As while as being able to cheer for Sid again, even though if anyone from Canada had to score to beat the US, im glad it was Sid.

Lets go Pens!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #10446
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Lets tag him ... oops sorry wrong sport. I have to agree about letting Sarge go if he wants 6 million. It's just not doable for a player at his age, given the Pen's cap situation.

As for HTG, here is the plan. If they let Sarge go we have this guy deliver the news to her.

That ought to hold her over for a bit.
Add in Skippy Reed and Eric Godard and you've got a deal!

My heart would just break in two to see Serg playing on any other team but the Pens.

In all seriousness, though - I think it is obvious to most Pens fans, as well as to the Pens FO, that they most likely wouldn't have won the Cup last season without Gonchar. They were sliding until his return from injury and perked right back up upon his return. He is just too important to this team and I'm hoping - praying - they can come to a mutually acceptable agreement.

Geno - Sid - work some magic here!

Hey - welcome back pittsburghp8baller! Great seeing you around again!

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 03-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #10447
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Dang...the fans in Pittsburgh obviously were not happy about Sid getting the winning goal against the US. I'm pretty sure I heard a lot of boo's when they showed the replay before announcing Sid's name. Not cool people...not cool.

All that aside...LET'S GO PENS!!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #10448
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Dang...the fans in Pittsburgh obviously were not happy about Sid getting the winning goal against the US. I'm pretty sure I heard a lot of boo's when they showed the replay before announcing Sid's name. Not cool people...not cool.

All that aside...LET'S GO PENS!!!!
I heard that too, and was very disappointed in that lack of class and appreciation for one of our own - our captain! I shouldn't be surprised, though - XT can tell you how many classless fans we encounter when we're at the games. Dollars to donuts sez these ignoramuses didn't even know that Pittsburgh had a hockey team until the 2005 season.

I heard boos when Lindy Rupp's name was announced, too, which was just plain ignorant.

What I really loved, though, was hearing the loud cheers and applause when Ryan Miller's name was announced to the crowd and he seemed genuinely touched by his reaction from the runway.

LETS GO PENS!

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 03-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #10449
HometownGal
Living Legend

Hey XT - ya think Skippy is at the game tonight in his usual spot right across the ice from us?

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #10450
HometownGal
Living Legend

ROFL!!!! I love the hamster SOUL commercial!

The Anti-Wahoo
Closed Thread