Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #10601
SteelCityMom

Member Number:
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Yeah, Crosby embellishes at times....but really, who doesn't? The only reason he gets so much crap for it is because of who he is and because he used to do it a lot when he was a rookie. Besides, it wasn't like he wasn't hit at all and fell down (Captain Caveman style), he just made sure the ref knew he got interfered with.

THIS is diving....

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #10602
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Yeah, Crosby embellishes at times....but really, who doesn't? The only reason he gets so much crap for it is because of who he is and because he used to do it a lot when he was a rookie. Besides, it wasn't like he wasn't hit at all and fell down (Captain Caveman style), he just made sure the ref knew he got interfered with.
Which is embellishing the call. Yeah, I know just about every player has done it at one time or another, and I agree that Crosby gets more flak for it because of who he is, but I still wish he wouldn't do it at all. If the referee was going to make the call anyway, then what's the point?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #10603
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Which is embellishing the call. Yeah, I know just about every player has done it at one time or another, and I agree that Crosby gets more flak for it because of who he is, but I still wish he wouldn't do it at all. If the referee was going to make the call anyway, then what's the point?
What makes you think he embellished that cross check last night? No question it was a legit call, and only Sid and Staal knows how much force was behind the hit. And Staal didn't whine about the call or Sid's reaction to it until after his goalie got involved.

Personally I was hoping Cooke would run Lundquist later in the game so Sid could stand over him afterwards and ask what he's doing laying in a heap?

Last edited by zulater; 03-05-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #10604
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
What makes you think he embellished that cross check last night? No question it was a legit call, and only Sid and Staal knows how much force was behind the hit. And Staal didn't whine about the call or Sid's reaction to it until after his goalie got involved.

Personally I was hoping Cooke would run Lundquist later in the game so Sid could stand over him afterwards and ask what he's doing laying in a heap?
I haven't seen the play in question, so I don't really have an opinion on it. Like I said in my other post, Sid does have a history of embellishing calls, so the accusation isn't exactly something new. It's something that I've wanted to see him get away from as he matured. When I actually see it, then I'll be able to make a call one way or the other. However, Marc Staal not complaining about it tells me that Lundqvist probably overreacted.

EDIT: I've finally seen the play, and I don't know what the big deal was. Staal cross-checked him right in the ribs and he went right down - there wasn't this "flailing of arms" that Lundqvist was alluding to. Even the announcers didn't think it was a dive - and they were Rangers announcers from MSG Network, which Versus used for its game feed last night. Maybe he stayed down a little long, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a penalty. Mountain, meet molehill.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 03-05-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #10605
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
I haven't seen the play in question, so I don't really have an opinion on it. Like I said in my other post, Sid does have a history of embellishing calls, so the accusation isn't exactly something new. It's something that I've wanted to see him get away from as he matured. When I actually see it, then I'll be able to make a call one way or the other. However, Marc Staal not complaining about it tells me that Lundqvist probably overreacted.

I can't find just the highlight of the penalty, but here's the game highlights. The penalty Sid drew is at about :40. Watching it again, he does look like he was hit with some force, but I still don't think it's inconceivable that he would embellish a bit to make sure that they get on the PP.

Edit: Nevermind, I found just the penalty play.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Old 03-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #10606
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

It was awesome to finally watch a 'Guins game on TV although VS was using the MSG feed.

The one thing I hated about last night was the call in OT. I thought that was such a ticky tack foul especially after watching the crapitals and sabres game the night before when it seemed the refs let them play a little more hockey!

If they continue to make calls and then not make calls like this, they are going to ruin the playoffs!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #10607
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

See my post edit, SCM. But from your clip, the referee's arm was already up when Crosby went down, so the penalty was already going to be called and it was the correct call. And like I said, he wasn't flailing his arms around, it was a legitimate cross-check to the ribs, where there really isn't much protection. So IMO Lundqvist overreacted and Crosby didn't dive.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #10608
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
It was awesome to finally watch a 'Guins game on TV although VS was using the MSG feed.

The one thing I hated about last night was the call in OT. I thought that was such a ticky tack foul especially after watching the crapitals and sabres game the night before when it seemed the refs let them play a little more hockey!

If they continue to make calls and then not make calls like this, they are going to ruin the playoffs!
It was a ticky-tack call, but they've been calling that consistently over the past 4 seasons. You get your stick in a player's hands, even if you don't cause him to lose the puck, it's a penalty, period. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. They do let more of that go in the playoffs, but they still call it too often for my liking.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #10609
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
See my post edit, SCM. But from your clip, the referee's arm was already up when Crosby went down, so the penalty was already going to be called and it was the correct call. And like I said, he wasn't flailing his arms around, it was a legitimate cross-check to the ribs, where there really isn't much protection. So IMO Lundqvist overreacted and Crosby didn't dive.
Yeah, have to agree with you on that. After watching a couple of different replays, it doesn't look like he embellished at all. And like you said, even the Rangers announcers felt it was a crosscheck and a good penalty. Lundqvist is just butt hurt from not even medaling I think lol.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #10610
WH

Member Number:

You can't imagine how many people here were whining about him today. It was on the 2nd page of the Aftonbladet (Sweden's USA today). ''Oh he hit Henrik''. All I said was ''Henrik should shut the F up and stay in his crease.''

He was probably even more pissed when Sid and Brooks asked him where his medal was.

It's seriously awesome rubbing this Crosby stuff in these people's noses.

Closed Thread