Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #10941
WH

Member Number:
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Fleury is ''sof''

Old 03-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #10942
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
My thoughts exactly...no way he should have let in all three of those last shots. I also thought that Staal and Dupuis would have been better choices on the SO than Guerin and Kunitz, they haven't been very hot lately.
Neither of those guys are good on breakaways - that's why they weren't used earlier. Malkin isn't all that great either, but I'd still rather have had him out there than either Guerin or Kunitz (Kunitz actually is fairly decent on breakaways). I'd have rather seen Goligoski make an attempt - he scored on his only SO attempt last year against the Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Just a shame to see an OTL tonight. Fluery plays pretty well all game long, but can't stop a shot in the shootout to lose it hurts! It just stinks to see teams bury us bad like 0 an d6 on NJ, 0-1-2 on Caps, and what 0-1-2 on the Canes as well.

Your all right at least we got a point and now the struggling Flyers.
The Pens do deserve some credit for taking the Caps to a SO with 2 of their best players out of the lineup. Still though, I'm pretty numb to it all now and have accepted that the Pens will not have their game back completely until playoff time. They need to get as many points as they can in the meantime, wrap up their playoff berth and get ready for the show.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #10943
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

I just hope your right X-T that the Pens will come out and fire on all cylinders in the playoffs like last season. I know they can and will, but I just think regardless if they are locked for a playoff spot or not should be going out every game and fighting to win! I can see they did their best against the caps, but some games just look half assed and we don't need that.

Like I said though I know the Pens will pull through and be a great team through the playoffs and make that strong push for another cup.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #10944
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

The Pens are up to 6-1 at the Sports book to win the Cup. I'm going to get me some of that action!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #10945
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
I just hope your right X-T that the Pens will come out and fire on all cylinders in the playoffs like last season. I know they can and will, but I just think regardless if they are locked for a playoff spot or not should be going out every game and fighting to win! I can see they did their best against the caps, but some games just look half assed and we don't need that.

Like I said though I know the Pens will pull through and be a great team through the playoffs and make that strong push for another cup.
Well, Brooks Orpik isn't happy, that's for sure:

Quote:
"Maybe I'm in the minority here, (but) I'm getting tired of hearing we worked hard or maybe deserved better. We're not winning hockey games, and that's what it comes down to. I don't feel very good leaving the rink when you lose."

"We get a power play in the third period, up by a goal - and even before that Semin goal it was just sloppy there. It looked like we lost our focus for whatever reason. It's just real frustrating right now," he said.

"I'm getting very concerned. Everyone wants to talk about the playoffs. We've got eight games to go here and we're not playing too well. The way we're playing now, we'll be out in the first round."
Rest of the story here: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8
Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #10946
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Good for Orpik to step up and say that. Our team maybe is not just slacking toward the end of the season, but just not playing well. Like I have said all season this defense is struggling with GoGo doing nothing, and Letang not having a good season what so ever with 0 ST goal's. Gonch was not their last night and it was a massacre of odd man rushes and a short handed goal give up.

I guess all I can do is wait until the playoffs and see how this team reacts now they they are losing games and obviously players are getting concerned.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #10947
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

"The way we're playing now, we'll be out in the first round."

He beat me to it - I said they'd sandbag a few games the rest of the way to start off the playoffs against the Sens as the 4th seed.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #10948
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Rule prohibiting lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to head will take effect
Implementation of supplementary discipline begins tonight

Thursday, 03.25.2010 / 12:12 PM / Rules NHL.com

NEW YORK -- Beginning with tonight's games, the National Hockey League will implement a new rule prohibiting "a lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact."

Under the new rule, the NHL Hockey Operations Department is empowered to review any such hit for the purpose of Supplementary Discipline.

"We believe this is the right thing to do for the game and for the safety of our players," Commissioner Gary Bettman said after receiving unanimous approval from the Board of Governors as well as the endorsement of the NHL/NHLPA Competition Committee and the NHLPA Executive Board. "The elimination of these types of hits should significantly reduce the number of injuries, including concussions, without adversely affecting the level of physicality in the game."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=522691

Old 03-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #10949
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

I don't mind this rule so long as the league and the referees can tell the difference between what Cooke did to Savard and, say, Kasparaitis' hit on Eric Lindros back in 1997 that started his concussion problems. Lindros got caught with his head down and Kasparaitis drilled him with as textbook an open-ice hit as you'll ever see. Those hits should always remain in the game.

Also, there's this:

#2 Pittsburgh Penguins (idle) would clinch a playoff berth...

* if the Atlanta Thrashers lose in regulation to the Toronto Maple Leafs

GO LEAFS GO!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #10950
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I don't mind this rule so long as the league and the referees can tell the difference between what Cooke did to Savard and, say, Kasparaitis' hit on Eric Lindros back in 1997 that started his concussion problems. Lindros got caught with his head down and Kasparaitis drilled him with as textbook an open-ice hit as you'll ever see. Those hits should always remain in the game.

Also, there's this:

#2 Pittsburgh Penguins (idle) would clinch a playoff berth...

* if the Atlanta Thrashers lose in regulation to the Toronto Maple Leafs

GO LEAFS GO!
LOL...yes GO LEAFS!!

I just thought it was interesting because not many were sure whether this rule would get passed even before the playoffs or if it would be held off until next season. I'm glad they at least passed it sooner than later.

You make a good point with the Kasperitis hit though.

Closed Thread