Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #10991
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Yeah - that's bad news for gonch - Letang is young, but he needs to step up a ton to earn that kinda money and bring to the team what Gonchar does.
Damn straight he does. Shero said in a presser that this contract doesn't affect Gonchar at all...well, we'll see. I can't see how it wouldn't considering that the Pens have just $12.5 million left to sign 9 players this summer based on the current salary cap. I just don't see where they could sign Gonchar to $5-6 million even for 2 seasons.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #10992
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Exactly X-T. Gonch should be smart and go for winning instead of the money, but I have seen too many players leave for the cash it's just the nature of the game I suppose.

I just hope Letang get's his mind straight and starts shooting that puck like last season and starts producing def. in playoff time. Time to see who steps up.

I was watching last years playoff run and one thing I noticed is that Fluery was not just good, but lights out. I mean every single game he made 4-5 HUGE saves to keep them in and I just hope he gets out of his average game and steps up big because he was everything!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #10993
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
I was watching last years playoff run and one thing I noticed is that Fluery was not just good, but lights out. I mean every single game he made 4-5 HUGE saves to keep them in and I just hope he gets out of his average game and steps up big because he was everything!
Flower should have won the Conn Smythe 2 years ago when they lost in the Final, and should have been considered last year too. As great as Geno and Sid were in the playoffs, they don't do jack if Fleury isn't on his game. You need goaltending to win the Cup...which is why the Caps IMO will not be hoisting it. You can't go in thinking you'll just outscore everyone and not care if your goaltending is sub-standard. Even the Oilers in the 80s needed great goaltending from Grant Fuhr in order to win their Cups.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #10994
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Flower should have won the Conn Smythe 2 years ago when they lost in the Final, and should have been considered last year too. As great as Geno and Sid were in the playoffs, they don't do jack if Fleury isn't on his game. You need goaltending to win the Cup...which is why the Caps IMO will not be hoisting it. You can't go in thinking you'll just outscore everyone and not care if your goaltending is sub-standard. Even the Oilers in the 80s needed great goaltending from Grant Fuhr in order to win their Cups.
Yes agreed. Fluery just played out of his mind in the playoffs the last two seasons and when the going got tough he would make that huge save to keep the Pens in the game or series.
Yes the Caps won't because of their goaltender ordeal and the fact that there defensive problem is worse than the Pens IMO.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #10995
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Bruins beat the Devils 1-0 in OT, so the Pens still lead the division by a point and have a chance to increase it to 3 tomorrow night.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #10996
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Bruins beat the Devils 1-0 in OT, so the Pens still lead the division by a point and have a chance to increase it to 3 tomorrow night.
This is the Pens chance to run away with it!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #10997
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Congrats to Tanger on his extension. I prefer keeping Gonchar, but father time might be unfortunately coming around to bite him in the ass as far as his hockey career goes. It's sad, but it's inevitable.

As far as the WC needing to be spread around, that would be a good idea for hockey fans but I think they are going after the fans on the fringe and also trying to attract and hook new fans that normally wouldn't give a poopie about the game.

Caps/Pens games feature the best players in the game and add in the element of playing outdoors in a foreign environment and I get their thinking on this and see people watching that normally wouldn't.

Personally, I'm already looking forward to it. Should be a special hockey treat.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #10998
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:
Russian superstars Evgeni Malkin and Sergei Gonchar returned to the ice during Tuesday’s morning practice to skate with the team.

Malkin, who is suffering from a foot injury, missed six of his last seven games. Gonchar, who had strep throat, missed his last three games.

Although Gonchar and Malkin seem to be feeling better, head coach Dan Bylsma said that he has not yet decided whether or not either one of them will play in Wednesday night’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“They have both gotten better but are day-to-day and won’t be decided on until tomorrow,” Bylsma said.

Executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero also discussed his happiness with Malkin and Gonchar beginning to regain their health.

“I’m looking forward to having those guys back,” he said. “While they’re out, it’s not a bad thing for the other guys to get added ice time and added responsibility. It also gives Geno and Gonchar a rest here. Hopefully, they’ll be back soon, and they’ll be two good additions for us."

Gonchar said that although he has not been watching the scoreboard constantly since he has been in bed for the past five days, he still knows that his teammates have been playing exceptionally well in recent games.

“We are battling for the division lead,” he said. “The guys are doing a great job. We have a few games left, so we have to finish strong.”
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Good news. Gonch and Geno look to be getting healthy and close to returning.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:33 AM   #10999
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Congrats to Tanger on his extension. I prefer keeping Gonchar, but father time might be unfortunately coming around to bite him in the ass as far as his hockey career goes. It's sad, but it's inevitable.
I wouldn't put Gonchar out to pasture just yet. I've been arguing with other Pens fans on another hockey board over his value to the team, and as far as I'm concerned, he still has 2 or 3 very productive years left in him. I can still see him putting up 50-60 points even at 39 years old. Up until the last two seasons, he's been pretty durable as well, so his body doesn't have a whole lot of wear and tear on it. What else needs to be done to prove how valuable Gonchar is? You saw how out-of-sync the D was without him last season and this season, and how the PP suffered big time. I'd rather keep Gonchar for at least 2 more seasons while giving Letang more time to grow into a top-pairing defenseman, and then turn the reins over to him. I'm sorry, but Letang is being way overpaid and is basically being paid for potential, not for what he has actually done, which certainly is not enough to justify that contract. I think the Pens are making a HUGE mistake paying him that much and in essence pushing Gonchar out the door 2-3 years too soon. Give that money to Gonchar, because at least with him, you know exactly what you are going to get.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #11000
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Team website reporting both Gonch and Malkin will be out for tonight's match up against the Lightning. Looks like we have to do it without them again against this pesky bolts team that gives the Pens hassle def. St. Louis and Lecavier.
Big game for the Pens now that the Devils have no games in hand and down one this is a chance to go up 3 points tonight. Come on boys!
Closed Thread