Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #11021
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

The Pens really need to step it up on pp, that's hurting them pretty bad. They're also a little sloppy on defense from time to time and that needs to be stepped up as well. I hope Gonch and Malkin come back soon.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #11022
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Two words

Letang sucks
Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #11023
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Well it looks like the team is pissed about their performance last night, so much so that they had a 17-minute players-only meeting after the game. If it's 17 minutes long, you know there were some pretty frank words being said. And apparently, Sid and Brooks did most of the tongue-lashing:

Quote:
A figurative line was carved into the ice by the Penguins Wednesday night after an appalling 2-0 loss to the lowly Tampa Bay Lightning at Mellon Arena.

Following a players-only meeting that lasted approximately 17 minutes, a question remained unanswered: Who will join team-leaders center Sidney Crosby and defenseman Brooks Orpik in crossing over that line in the final five remaining regular-season games before the Stanley Cup playoffs?

"It's an accountability thing guys in here, for whatever reason, it's just inconsistency," Orpik said after his club was blanked for a sixth time on the season by a Tampa Bay club that was wrapping a four-game road trip, had played Tuesday night and was a winner in only four of 18 previous games.

Crosby, the team captain, was the first player to speak publicly about what this loss represented in a big-picture sense.

"It was pretty bad," he said. "There's no real sugar-coating it or trying to make something positive out of it. We didn't do anything that was positive. That's about it. We weren't ready to play. That's what it comes down to. We thought we were going to play a team that (had) laid down and was out of the playoffs we were just going to show up, and it didn't happen. Clearly, it didn't happen. We basically got what we deserved.

"If everyone accepts that or is OK with the way things went, that's not good. I don't think anybody is. I don't think anybody believes that we did things right or that we worked hard or that there was effort. I think we can all agree there wasn't, and we know what we have to do here moving forward."

The Penguins (44-26-7, 95 points) will practice today at 8:30 a.m., and head coach Dan Bylsma said after this loss that the rare early-morning session was because high-school championship games will be played at Mellon Arena starting around 11 a.m.

However, Bylsma's team looks as though it could benefit from a training-camp approach to the final weeks before the postseason defense of their Cup title.

Playing without center Evgeni Malkin (five straight games missed with a bruised right foot) and defenseman Sergei Gonchar (out four in a row with strep throat), the Penguins went 0-for-4 on 11 minutes of power-play time, and they were credited with 11 giveaways.

"It's unacceptable," forward Craig Adams said of the fourth regulation loss in a 4-4-3 stretch. "If it was a simple fix we would have fixed it already. I could throw out a bunch of cliches, but it's not good enough. We need to get better if we want to make some noise (in the playoffs.)"

Emerging superstar center Steven Stamkos made some noise with his 46th goal, one off Crosby's league-best total, with three minutes remaining in the opening period to give Tampa Bay a 1-0 lead. Just 29 seconds into the second period, rugged winger Steve Downie built on Stamkos' power-play score with his 22nd goal.

Goalie Mike Smith turned aside 27 shots for the Lightning, who will not make the playoffs.

Bylsma, after dismissing any lack of confidence in his club's potential to rally for another title run, correctly noted the Penguins will be one of only 16 teams to play in the upcoming postseason.

His newest defenseman, Jordon Leopold, also correctly noted that "some things needed to be said" in the post-game meeting among players, and goalie Marc-Andre Fleury (15 saves) plainly put these Penguins' plight into perspective.

"It's very disappointing to lose to a team like that," goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said. "Lately we haven't played our best hockey out there. We need to turn that around, because the playoffs are coming soon."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_674362.html

This is why I believe the team will be OK once the playoffs start. They're a proud bunch, and they will not stand for performances like last night. I know Sid and Brooks won't, that's for sure.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #11024
WH

Member Number:

I like that it's not just Sid saying stuff at these meetings. I like seeing that Brooks is stepping up as the clear leader of the D.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #11025
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

I agree Wirels3. These guys just played terrible last night and sure give the bolts credit for playing a tough trap last night, but there is no excuse for last nights play! Letang come on hit the net please at least 5 hitting the glass thank you for the effort though.
Puck handling terrible and I mean the PP without Gonch and Malkin or the worst. They looked so out of sync the entire 5 minute major and never settled the puck down leading in momentum all towards the bolts.

Good for Sid and Brooks for stepping up last night and expressing their emotions and feelings toward the team right now. I hope the rest of the team feels the same way and knows that they need to get hot NOW to end the season and into the playoffs! Come on Pens! We still believe!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #11026
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Im just in the mindset right now that the Pens will enter the playoffs fully healthy and kick it into high gear. I just have a feeling that will be unstoppable in the playoffs like last season!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #11027
Fire Haley
Banned

I'm still aiming for 4th place to ease into the playoffs against the Sens or Flyers - Pens aren't even close to last years playoff team right now, their PP is horrible, pathetic - Leopold is their best shooter - they need time to regroup when Malkin&Gonch come back - you can't just flip the switch.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #11028
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I'm still aiming for 4th place to ease into the playoffs against the Sens or Flyers - Pens aren't even close to last years playoff team right now, their PP is horrible, pathetic - Leopold is their best shooter - they need time to regroup when Malkin&Gonch come back - you can't just flip the switch.
True, but I think Gonch and Malkin just mean that much to the team and there return will re amp this PP and offense it's self. Yes Letang and GoGo are sure weak points on the point, but this team always plays a much higher game in the playoffs and I expect it this season.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #11029
Fire Haley
Banned

That was a different Pens team - the one that was five points out of the final playoff spot at the trade deadline and turned it on and got red hot heading into the playoffs.

It'll all come down to goaltending, and Fleury has been spotty lately too. I wish I had more confidence, but these guys are just going through the motions right now. I blame the Olympics.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #11030
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirels3 View Post
Does all this talking sound familiar from a few months back? Stillers maybe.. They also needed a good kick in the arse... Pen's are no way near like they were acting but I'm just saying.. I'm sick of the commentators saying we can't do anything without 71 and/or 55 during a PP. YES WE CAN!!!

We are still the dam best team in the league!!! I'm ready for the Playoffs..
The big difference between the Pens and Steelers is that the Pens are going to the playoffs.

And actually, they did manage to score a couple of PPGs in their last 3 games before last night, but still, they are not even close to the same unit without Malkin and especially Gonchar. The numbers do not lie - the Pens' PP is 3 percentage points higher with just Gonchar in the lineup, around 20%. I am certain that they would have scored at least one goal in that 5 minute PP with both of them in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I see you still believe the Sens are going to be a cakewalk despite all of the evidence to the contrary. They will NOT be an easy out, and I'd rather avoid them. Same for the Habs. The Bruins and Flyers are much better matchups, and the only way they get either of them is if they win the division and finish 2nd or 3rd. Under NO circumstances do I want the Pens to play either the Sens or Habs in the first round, or the Devils/Caps in round 2.

I still believe the Pens will be just fine once April 14 rolls around. I haven't wavered on that, and I will not waver on it, because the Pens play their best hockey when the games matter the most. They have been that way for the past 2+ seasons. And if they don't win the Cup again this year, so what? This team is set to be legitimate Cup contenders for at least the next 3-5 years. You won't be able to explain that to the bandwagon fans, though.