Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #11211
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I'm not pleased at all with Gogo for the better part of this year either. I'm willing to cut him a little bit of slack though for a couple of reasons. I really think he has the potential to be a better defenseman, I just don't think he was ready to start full time yet. And his performance at the beginning of the season has been like night and day compared to this last half of the season. I have to wonder if he's working through some kind of nagging injury or if he's just fatigued from not being used to playing so much. I do swear at him and Letang though...often.
Apparently he has been playing with nagging knee and ankle injuries and that may have affected him, but to me, if you're healthy enough to get out there and play, then you'd better perform. No excuses. He clearly does have a crapload of talent and will be a fine defenseman in a few years, but right now, I wouldn't mind it if he watched the game from the press box. He has not played well for the majority of the season, last night's goal notwithstanding. And Letang...I wish the team would fine him $500 for every time he misses the net when he has a clear lane. They'd get back half his salary every season.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #11212
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Apparently he has been playing with nagging knee and ankle injuries and that may have affected him, but to me, if you're healthy enough to get out there and play, then you'd better perform. No excuses. He clearly does have a crapload of talent and will be a fine defenseman in a few years, but right now, I wouldn't mind it if he watched the game from the press box. He has not played well for the majority of the season, last night's goal notwithstanding. And Letang...I wish the team would fine him $500 for every time he misses the net when he has a clear lane. They'd get back half his salary every season.

No arguments here on either player lol. I really wish there was some way we could have kept Scuds, the defense isn't the same without him, and I don't think Gogo was ready for a full time start. If he plays this way next season I'd like to think that Shero would make some kind of trade to get someone better.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #11213
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

BTW, Scotty Bowman and Kevin Stevens were both scheduled to be there last night, but had to cancel because of family matters. So I guess Bowman and Mario patched things up over the years. And Stevens works as a scout for the Pens, just to clear that part up.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #11214
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Well, the Pens will not have Ponikarovsky for the last 2 games - he's been suspended for his hit from behind on Josh Bailey last night:

TORONTO (April 9, 2010) – Pittsburgh Penguins forward Alexei Ponikarovsky has been suspended for two games, without pay, for a boarding penalty on New York Islanders forward Josh Bailey during NHL game #1200 against the New York Islanders last night, the National Hockey League announced.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Ponikarovsky will forfeit $21,813.48. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Ponikarovsky was assessed a major penalty for boarding and game misconduct at 3:01 of the third period. Bailey was injured on the play.

Ponikarovsky will miss the Penguins’ final two regular season games – Saturday at Atlanta and Sunday at the New York Islanders.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=524651
Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #11215
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Well, the Pens will not have Ponikarovsky for the last 2 games - he's been suspended for his hit from behind on Josh Bailey last night:

TORONTO (April 9, 2010) – Pittsburgh Penguins forward Alexei Ponikarovsky has been suspended for two games, without pay, for a boarding penalty on New York Islanders forward Josh Bailey during NHL game #1200 against the New York Islanders last night, the National Hockey League announced.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Ponikarovsky will forfeit $21,813.48. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Ponikarovsky was assessed a major penalty for boarding and game misconduct at 3:01 of the third period. Bailey was injured on the play.

Ponikarovsky will miss the Penguins’ final two regular season games – Saturday at Atlanta and Sunday at the New York Islanders.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=524651
I'd be more than happy to "babysit" him for his two-game suspension.

As much as I adore Hottiekarovsky, I think this suspension is well deserved. He normally isn't that aggressive and it seems the intensity of the game got the better of him.

As for GoGo - you know how I've been raggin' on him this season. Letang too. It still makes me want to gag that the Pens FO gave him that exorbitant contract but are dickin' around with Serg - makes absolutely no sense to me. I know Serg is 3 days shy of his 36th BD, but GoGo and Letang combined don't make a hair on his cute hiney and though I believe both will be very good defensemen one day, the Pens need to do whatever they can to keep him as we've all seen what the PP looks like without their QB and everything else he contributes not only to the team on the ice, but in the locker room.

Maybe the Pens should have included in that ridiculous contract a provision that Letang spend 12 hours per day in the offseason with Sid's parents' dryer.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #11216
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I tip my cap to Sid for recognizing someone else's accomplishments. One of the many reasons why I respect the type of player he is. He is VERY unselfish. One more reason why I am proud to say that he is their captain. It's well deserved.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #11217
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Dam! Ovie get's two goals tonight giving him 50 and the lead over Sid by one goal!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #11218
WH

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Dam! Ovie get's two goals tonight giving him 50 and the lead over Sid by one goal!
Thanks Dan Bylsma for giving him the empty net and helping him reach that milestone before your star player.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #11219
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
Thanks Dan Bylsma for giving him the empty net and helping him reach that milestone before your star player.
I'll take having the Cup over the goal scoring champion award anyday.

Anyway, here is how things work out for seeding.
Pens and Devils go 1-1
Devils gain the 2 seed by virtue of head-to-head tie breaker
Devils go 2-0, Pens go 1-1
Devils 2nd seed, Pens 4th Seed
Pens go 2-0, Devils 1-1
Pens 2nd, Devils 4th
Pens go 2-0, Devils 0-2
Pens 2nd, Devils 4th
Devils 2-0, Pens 0-2
Devils 2nd, Pens 4th
Pens and Devils go 1-0-1
(See Teams go 1-1)
Pens go 1-0-1, Devils 0-1-1
Pens 2, Devils 4
Devils go 1-0-1, Pens 0-1-1
Devils 2, Pens 4
Both go 0-1-1
Devils 2, Pens 4

So you can see what we are going to have to cheer for or possibly hope for this weekend.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 04-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #11220
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Ultimately, yes I'd love for the Pens to win the cup again...but I'd be content as long as it wasn't the Wings, Devils or Caps lol.

And the way I'd like to see the scoring championships go is Crosby get the Rocket and the Art Ross (if not Crosby, then Sedin for the AR) and I'd like to see Crosby or Miller get the MVP. Screw Ovi!

Closed Thread