Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #11371
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Five days from today will be the day to the month of the season opener on October 7th.

I think I'm gonna do this everyday just to drive Mom nutters.
Ahh...but I think you will drive yourself more nutters in the end.

My evil scheme is working.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:17 AM   #11372
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Ahh...but I think you will drive yourself more nutters in the end.

My evil scheme is working.
I'm pathetically transparent aren't I?

BTW, it's now past midnight here.

Four days from today will be the day to the month of the season opener on October 7th.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #11373
Shea
Head Coach

Quote:
Penguins Sign Forward Mike Comrie

Friday, 09.03.2010 / 11:10 AM / News Pittsburgh Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Mike Comrie to a one-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The contract is for the 2010-11 season and is worth $500,000.

Comrie, 29, has played nine NHL seasons with Edmonton, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Ottawa and the NY Islanders. In 568 career games, he has posted 167 goals, 192 assists, 359 points and 48 power-play goals. Comrie has appeared in 32 postseason contests, totaling 10 points (4G-6A).

Comrie (5-foot-10, 185 pounds) has scored 20 or more goals five times in his career, and twice hit the 30-goal mark. The Edmonton, Alberta native, who broke into the NHL in 2000 with his hometown Oilers after the club drafted him in the third round (91st overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft, set career highs with 33 goals and 60 points (tied) in 2001-02.

Comrie, whose uncle Fred Comrie was drafted by the Penguins in 1973 (eighth round, 119th overall) but never suited up for Pittsburgh, has represented Canada in three World Championships (2002, ’03 and ’06). He helped his country earn a gold medal in the 2003 tournament.

Comrie starred in two seasons with the University of Michigan. He totaled 43 goals, 60 assists and 103 points in just 82 collegiate games. In his second and final season as a Wolverine, Comrie led the team in goals (24), assists (35) and points (59). His 59 points ranked fifth (tied) in the NCAA, and he was named as a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award, given annually to the best college hockey player.

Comrie helped Michigan win the Central Collegiate Hockey Association playoff championship as a freshman. He was named to the CCHA All-Rookie Team, CCHA First All-Star Team and CCHA Rookie of the Year after posting 44 points (19G-25A).
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Clicking around and it seems people are thinking he will be playing on Sid's line.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #11374
Shea
Head Coach

Quote:
A finalist for the Selke Trophy last season as the NHL's top defensive forward, Staal acknowledged he has been unable to train consistently during the offseason. He has only skated once about a week after a second surgery in June and then only briefly.

He described his foot after that session as "big and red and pretty swollen." He required weeks in a walking boot and on crutches.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

I'm starting to get a bit worried about Jordan. Someone tell me it will be fine and that I'm just being paranoid.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #11375
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Comrie is porking Hilary Duff?

Little risk for Pens with Comrie

Good thing Mike Comrie married well. Then again his family owned a major national furniture chain in Canada which means he wasn’t really hurting financially before he hitched up with singer/actress Hilary Duff this summer.

Besides, Comrie has had a few multi-million contracts during his nine year NHL career, which began with much promise back home in Edmonton as a member of the Oilers, so money isn’t necessarily an issue to the 29-year-old forward. And that’s a good thing since he really had little choice other than taking a minimum wage deal in order to continue his NHL career.

Comrie signed a one-year, $500,000 deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins, cheap insurance for a team that has Stanley Cup aspirations and Jordan Staal’s recovery from a foot injury going slower than expected. Comrie should be able to handle Staal’s third-line center role if necessary to start the season, and could grow in to an even bigger role by being around the talents of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and others in the Penguins lineup.

Truth is Comrie should be in the prime of his career right now. He has shown flashes of big offense at times with two 30 goal seasons and three more with at least 20, but Comrie’s numbers having been heading south in recent years. Enough so that the Oilers, who brought him back last season after Comrie spent time in Philadelphia, Phoenix, Ottawa and Long Island and have plenty of cap space, decided that he wasn’t worth the $1.25 million they paid him last year.

But the Oilers weren’t very good last season, and neither were most of the last few teams Comrie played for, and he often seemed to be playing down to their levels. He’ll have to keep up in Pittsburgh and if he does, he could turn out to be a steal for the Pens. At the very least, he is a worthwhile gamble for them.

http://wes-goldstein.blogs.cbssports...69241/24311701
Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #11376
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Lemieux receives Order of Canada
Saturday, 09.04.2010 / 2:55 PM / News NHL.com

Quote:
Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux was among 53 people honored in Order of Canada ceremonies.

Lemieux, who led the Pittsburgh Penguins to two Stanley Cups and is among the greatest players in NHL history, was invested as an officer in a ceremony held Friday at Rideau Hall in Ottawa, home of Canada's Governor General.

Among the others honored were Montreal Canadiens President Pierre Boivin, Paralympic champion Chantal Petitclerc, and former Canadian prime minister Kim Campbell, as well as Ivan Reitman, who directed "Ghostbusters," rock musician Burton Cummings, former Manitoba premier Gary Filmon, former Nova Scotia premier John Hamm, operatic tenor Ben Heppner and actress Tantoo Cardinal.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536891

I like that he gets to share this honor with Ivan Reitman. That's hot.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #11377
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

32 more days Shea...

Old 09-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #11378
Shea
Head Coach

I don't think I'll make it ....

BUT on Thursday night football starts - that will help.

I'm really looking forward to it. Great match-up to open up the season.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #11379
steveironcity
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1135

Quote:
Comrie is porking Hilary Duff?
I hope so.... They are married

Steelers- 6 time Super Bowl Champions
Pirates- 5 time World Series Champions
Penguins- 3 time Stanley Cup Champions