Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #1321
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

make that save!

edit: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #1322
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

CHRISTENSEN AND CROSBY AND A PENGUINS WIN! WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 03-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #1323
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

WOW, shame on me for doubting them tonight. At least I can admit it, but damn, that's a tough team to beat on the road after being down three.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #1324
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I just got to see the 3rd period, the OT and the shootout - what a comeback!!! The Heart Attack Kids strike again!

Therrien and the coaching staff have a tough decision to make as to who to start in goal on Thursday night against the Devils.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #1325
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I just got to see the 3rd period, the OT and the shootout - what a comeback!!! The Heart Attack Kids strike again!

Therrien and the coaching staff have a tough decision to make as to who to start in goal on Thursday night against the Devils.
Now you'd think I'd have learned my lesson after leaving Mellon Arena with egg on my face on Sunday, but nooooo...I had to doubt them again. When will I ever learn?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #1326
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Pens' Recchi worried about 'impasse'

By The Tribune-Review
Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The Penguins' charter flight to Ottawa left Pittsburgh around 2 p.m. Monday, and by the time they touched down in Ottawa, the news of the impasse declared by team officials in the arena negotiations had broken. The players became aware of the developments after turning their cell phones back on and finding messages left by concerned friends and family members.

"I don't think this is a bluff," said Mark Recchi, who makes his offseason home in Pittsburgh, on Tuesday morning. "This is something where they need a deal within the time frame they feel is necessary and if they don't then they're going to have to move it. It's a sad day that it's even back to this point."

Recchi said the news made him a little more worried about the team leaving Pittsburgh.

"It's definitely a concern right now," he said. "Obviously, things aren't going well. We all hope the team stays. Pittsburgh is a great city, and it would be a terrible loss."

? Left winger Nils Ekman made his return to the Penguins' lineup last night after missing 28 games because of a dislocated left elbow suffered on Dec. 29 against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"I'm pumped," Ekman said before the game.

He was told yesterday morning that he would play, and he appeared on a line with Gary Roberts and Erik Christensen. Ekman said he'd never missed more than two or three games in a row before injuring his elbow.

? Forwards Michel Ouellet, Ronald Petrovicky and Chris Thorburn and defenseman Joel Kwiatkowski were scratched against the Senators.

? Survey the Penguins players on who has the hardest shot in the NHL, and most will be quick to say it's defenseman Sheldon Souray of the Montreal Canadiens. That's definitely defenseman Ryan Whitney's answer. Whitney took a shot from Souray off the laces of his skate on Feb. 4, and a month later, it still hurts.

"I can still feel it, even walking around," said Whitney, who now has a flap of padding that's stitched into the bottom of his shin pads to cover the unprotected area on the top of the foot.

Digits

9 - Points by which Tampa Bay's Martin St. Louis trailed leader Sidney Crosby in scoring going into last night.

10 - Points by which Tampa Bay's Vincent Lecavalier trailed Crosby in scoring going into last night.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_496524.html
Old 03-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #1327
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Expatriate fans want Penguins to stay

By Andrew Conte
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Chris Reilly's family had to "aggressively explore relocation" from Plum more than two decades ago when his dad lost his job as a steel worker.

He has since lived in Florida, Virginia and, recently, North Carolina, but Reilly, 32, remains a diehard Pittsburgh sports fan -- and cannot bear the thought of the Penguins following his exodus.

The team announced Monday it would court offers to move elsewhere.

"Even though I haven't lived there since 1985, I still am totally loyal to the sports teams and city," Reilly said. "I can't explain why. It is so ingrained in my psyche."

A tiny Liechtenstein compared to the sprawling Steelers Nation, the Penguins diaspora of fans nevertheless remains just as loyal and follows similar lines of dispersion. Though they moved on -- for work or warmer weather -- the fans blanch at talk of the hockey team's relocating to Kansas City or any other place.

"(Pittsburgh) will always be 'home' in some way," said Joseph Kisner, 52, of northern Virginia. "It's not perfect, but a city like no other."

Although he has lived in suburban Washington since the mid-1980s, Kisner bought a partial season-ticket package to see the Penguins at Mellon Arena last year. He watches Stan Savran nightly on FSN Pittsburgh's "SportsBeat" show via satellite.

Richard Brown said he, too, watches Savran and reads the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review online every day. Brown, 42, grew up in Washington County, but has lived more than half his life in Islamorada, Fla.

He moved there for work as a landscape architect. That he still drives around with a Steelers license plate on his truck comes naturally -- a reflex of ingrained loyalty, he said.

"We are largely a product of how and where we are raised, and the culture and makeup of the region are still my foundation to this day," Brown said. "That connection is a big part of why I care that the Penguins stay where they've always been, and belong, to me."

Reilly recently attended a Penguins road game against the Carolina Hurricanes. It seemed about 20 percent of the crowd was cheering for Pittsburgh, he said.

"It's almost like a huge family coming together at these games," he said. "We all have each others' backs."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_496530.html
Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #1328
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Pens' fierce comeback brings shootout win

By Karen Price
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 7, 2007

OTTAWA - If Tuesday night was a preview of a first-round playoff matchup between the Penguins and the Ottawa Senators, the series is going to have to come with a warning label.

Not for the faint of heart or those who suffer from nervous disorders or anxiety.

After trailing by three goals for most of the game, the Penguins scored three times in three minutes in the third period to force overtime before Sidney Crosby scored the winner in a shootout for a 5-4 win.

Jordan Staal scored a shorthanded goal -- his league-leading seventh and 27th overall goal - to kick off the comeback at 9:22 of the third period, making the score 4-2.

"I think when (Staal) scored that goal, we knew we had a chance," Crosby said. "We definitely put ourselves in a better position. I think that goal really led the way for us to get back in it."

The Penguins (36-21-9), who were in fifth place and two points behind the fourth-place Senators going into the game at Scotiabank Place, picked up two points in the unlikely win. The Senators, who dominated for 40 minutes and had a 4-1 lead going into the third, got a point.

The No. 4 team will host the No. 5 team in the Eastern Conference quarterfinals at season's end.

"You can't afford to let up now, no matter what the score is," Crosby said. "I think in the third we really just gave ourselves a chance to really play our game and hopefully get rewarded for it."

It was the third time in the last four games that the Penguins have needed a shootout to win, and it was their seventh straight shootout victory after going 1-5 to start the season.

Jocelyn Thibault allowed one goal in the shootout, while Erik Christensen also scored for the Penguins.

"I don't know if we were thinking comeback at all," Staal said. "After my goal, we got a little more confidence, and I think everyone knew we could win if we just kept chipping away."

Less than two minutes after Staal's shorthanded goal, Gary Roberts - who initially wanted to be traded to either the Senators or the Toronto Maple Leafs before coming to the Penguins last week -- scored to pull within one at 11:02.

One minute later, Ryan Malone scored. The Senators' collapsed was complete, and the Penguins had tied the game.

"It would be nice (to stop playing from behind)," Staal said. "It's a thriller for the fans, but it's obviously not what we want."

The Penguins trailed, 2-0, in Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Flyers before coming back and winning in a shootout. They also came back from a two-goal deficit in the third period against the New York Rangers on Thursday and won in a shootout.

But even getting to overtime - let alone winning - seemed impossible at times last night.

Colby Armstrong scored the first goal to give the Penguins a lead five minutes into the game.

But two quick goals from the Senators in front of the net and a long shot from Chris Kelly trailing the play while shorthanded made it 3-1 going into the second period.

That led to a goalie change to start the second period, from Marc-Andre Fleury to Thibault.

The Penguins spent almost the entire period in the penalty box, and the Senators scored on one of their power plays for a 4-1 lead going into the third.

The Senators were 2 for 8 on the power play after just 40 minutes, while the Penguins had only two power plays of their own and nothing to show for either one.

"If I knew the answer I'd tell you," Staal said when asked what happened the first two periods. "Just lack of focus, I guess. We really just weren't working hard enough."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_496496.html
Old 03-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #1329
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Crosby, Penguins shootout winners
Sidney Crosby gets another winning goal as Penguins rally for three goals in last 11 minutes of regulation to stun Ottawa

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

By Dave Molinari
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

OTTAWA -- They read the newspapers and watch the highlights shows so, yeah, the Penguins knew all about the problems Ottawa has had in the third period lately.

They just never expected to be able to add to them.

Not when they were trailing by three goals with less than 11 minutes left in regulation and hadn't been able to do much well with any sort of regularity -- except maybe to take penalties.

But the Penguins ran off three unanswered goals in a span of two minutes, 48 seconds midway through the third to transform a 4-1 deficit into what became a 5-4 shootout victory at Scotiabank Place.

The victory snapped a seven-game losing streak against Ottawa and raised the Penguins' record to 36-21-9. They trail the fourth-place Senators by one point in the Eastern Conference.

Sidney Crosby, who was shut out during regulation and overtime for the for the fourth time in the past five games -- that matches the worst dry spell of his pro career, set Nov. 27-Dec. 8, 2005 -- got the shootout-deciding goal when he beat Ottawa goalie Ray Emery with a backhander.

Erik Christensen also scored for the Penguins, while Evgeni Malkin was stopped by Emery. Penguins goalie Jocelyn Thibault stopped Dany Heatley and Antoine Vermette during the shootout, but was beaten by Dean McAmmond.

Nonetheless, his two shootout stops gave Crosby the chance to lock up the victory, which he did.

"We're getting that big play, that big save, whatever it is," Crosby said. "We're finding a way, and that's important."

The game began well enough for the Penguins, as Colby Armstrong put them on top at 5:56 with a backhander from along the goal line to the right of Emery.

Mike Fisher countered for Ottawa with a power-play goal at 9:27, when he beat goalie Marc-Andre Fleury from in front, and Christoph Schubert put the Senators in front, 2-1, at 11:22.

The Penguins had a 39-second power play late in the period. That wasn't enough time for them to manufacture a goal, but it was enough for them to allow one as Chris Kelly put a 50-foot shot off Fleury's pads and into the net at 18:38.

Kelly's goal was marshmallow-soft -- not exactly what Ottawa coach Bryan Murray had in mind a few hours earlier when he said, "Fleury has obviously become the type of goaltender everyone thought he was going to be" -- and convinced coach Michel Therrien to replace Fleury with Thibault for the start of the second.

The switch didn't trouble the Senators much, though, because Heatley made it 4-1 with a power-play goal at 4:32 of the second. That was one of eight chances Ottawa had with the extra man during the first 40 minutes.

"At this time of the year, we can't be coming out with efforts like that," Armstrong said. "We knew it was a big game, so there were no excuses."

In the end, though, they wouldn't need any.

The Senators had failed to protect third-period leads in each of the previous two games and no doubt had a flashback or two when Jordan Staal got his seventh short-handed goal of the season at 9:22 after stealing the puck in the neutral zone.

"That really set the tone," Crosby said. "Led the way for what was to come."

The entire Ottawa bench no doubt winced at 11:02, after Christensen stole the puck from Mike Comrie and set up Gary Roberts near the left hash for his second in two games.

But the Senators' nightmare did not truly recur until 12:10, when Staal set up Ryan Malone, who tossed a shot behind Emery from below the left dot to guarantee the Penguins a point that was absolutely unthinkable just a few minutes earlier.

"We came together there in the third, really focused on just playing the way we could and seeing where that brought us," Crosby said. "We have to be happy with that, but we don't want to dig ourselves those kinds of holes."

Whatever offensive problems Crosby has had -- "I've created a few plays, and they're just not going in," he said. "I'm going to break out here soon" -- his touch in shootouts is platinum-plated lately.

So, when the game was on his stick at the end of the shootout, there wasn't much uncertainty about the ending. Or about how fortunate the Penguins were to get to that point.

"We can't leave it to chance like that, especially right now," Armstrong said. "We got lucky."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07066/767416-61.stm
Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #1330
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Penguins Notebook: Ekman returns to fill RW spot on No. 2 line

Wednesday, March 07, 2007
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

OTTAWA -- Nils Ekman went directly from injured reserve to the No. 2 line.

Ekman, out since his left elbow was dislocated Dec. 29, was on right wing with Gary Roberts and Erik Christensen when the Penguins faced Ottawa at Scotiabank Place last night.

That was part of a major overhaul of the Penguins' forward combinations by coach Michel Therrien, who also assembled these units: Evgeni Malkin-Sidney Crosby-Mark Recchi, Ryan Malone-Jordan Staal-Colby Armstrong and Jarkko Ruutu-Maxime Talbot-Georges Laraque.

"Like I said ...when we acquired [Roberts and Laraque], we're going to try different combinations, and that's exactly what we're doing," Therrien said. "I really like the way Christensen and Roberts played together in the last game, and I wanted to see what that combination is going to bring us.

"And every time we need a lift with Crosby and Malkin, they're always able to upgrade their game. And Jordan Staal is playing really well. Jordan's capable of playing center or left wing."

Michel Ouellet, a fixture on the No. 2 line while failing to score a goal in the previous nine games, was a healthy scratch, as were Ronald Petrovicky and Chris Thorburn.

Therrien described Ekman as "a guy we count on," even though he had just one goal and four assists in the 19 appearances that preceded his injury, and underscored that by placing him in a prominent role in his first game in more than two months.

"I'm glad he's challenging me, and glad that he's giving me some confidence," Ekman said. "I just want to make the best out of it, do something good for the team."

He wore a brace to protect his elbow, and said he had no concerns about reinjuring it.

"I'm pumped up, so excited," Ekman said. "It's great to be back."

New team thrills Roberts

In the weeks leading up to the NHL trade deadline, Roberts cited Ottawa as one of the teams -- Toronto was the other -- for which he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause.

The Penguins, however, sold him on the merits of joining them and sent defenseman Noah Welch to Florida for him. But for all the talk a few weeks ago about how Ottawa could benefit from Roberts' grit and leadership, several Senators said yesterday that losing out on him should not be a mortal blow to their playoff prospects.

"A player like that is obviously a very wanted player by many teams," center Mike Fisher said. "But, at the same time, we have a lot of capable guys in here. We're confident with our team, with the way we're playing, and we can't worry about that."

Roberts described himself as "thrilled" to join the Penguins, and nothing that happened during his Mellon Arena debut, a 4-3 shootout victory against Philadelphia Sunday, changed that.

"It's a real fun hockey city," he said. "The place was jammed, and it's just a real fun environment."

Senators coach praises Crosby

Crosby entered the game last night with just two goals in his previous 17 games and one point in the previous four.

"He's going to have to work through it," Therrien said. "He has to play against top players every night. ... The last month and a half, they've checked him really well, but that's part of his development. He's going to have to fight through those things."

Senators coach Bryan Murray, for one, apparently won't bet against it, based on his assessment of the progress Crosby has made since last fall.

"He's become a real outstanding player," Murray said. "He's made huge strides in this year alone, from the beginning of the year until now.

"He's obviously a great character for our game right now, the way he plays and the way he uses his linemates. He's going to be worth the price of admission for the rest of his career, probably."

Slap shots

Senators winger Oleg Saprykin wore No. 91 in Phoenix and claimed it for his first morning skate with Ottawa after it acquired him, but switched to No. 61 a few hours later. That probably wasn't an accident because No. 91 will forever be associated in Ottawa with Alexandre Daigle, the first draft choice in team history and an unabashed flop. ... The NHL reported that sales of Penguins merchandise in February was up 237 percent from the same month a year ago.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07066/767415-61.stm