Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 AM   #1331
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

What a game last night. Those Cardiac Kids pulled it off!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #1332
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Now you'd think I'd have learned my lesson after leaving Mellon Arena with egg on my face on Sunday, but nooooo...I had to doubt them again. When will I ever learn?
You must like the feel of that egg sliding down your face or somethin'. As you well know, I am the eternal optimist and always believe they can come back, as they did last night. Have some faith brother!

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 03-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #1333
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

"but we don't want to dig ourselves those kinds of holes." - Sid

"We can't leave it to chance like that, especially right now," Armstrong said. "We got lucky."

Good attitude and right on the money. It's comforting to know that they are not resting on "a win is a win" type of attitude at this point in the season. Fleury needs to get his head back on straight. This goes back to the last five games of our winning streak. Between rebound control and letting the cheap goal in I'd have to believe Therrien is not exactly comfortable with Fleury at this point in time.

While Fleury is giving up the rebounds and the cheap goal, our defense is nothing to write home about. Between being unable to clear the puck and coughing it up in their own zone they are not helping Fleury's cause. We are missing Eaton and maybe that possible trade for a solid RH DD.

On offense (and I can't believe I'm saying this), but Sid and Malkin need to start netting some goals. I don't think it's helping when Therrien pairs Sid and Malkin on the same line. I'd prefer those two on separate lines. Thankfully, I don't see it lasting. I think Therrien is just trying to give them both a spark in order to get them out of their scoring droughts.

Also, Christensen has no business being on a third for fourth line and I loved seeing him play on that second line last night with the healthy scratch being Omelette. Christensen can't score when he doesn't have the players to feed him the puck. Put him on a line with talent and he put's the puck away. Unfortunately though, I wouldn't put it past Therrien to fall back on his secret man-love crush for Omelette and putting him back on that second line while putting Christensen back on the third when we meet Jersey this upcoming Thursday.

Anyways, here's to hoping we start playing better hockey in the weeks to come. Yesterday's game won't do it. That poo-poo won't fly come playoff time.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-07-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #1334
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Pens' victory eases Fleury's disappointment

By Keith Barnes
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 8, 2007

Marc-Andre Fleury spent more time on the bench than he did on the ice Tuesday during the Penguins' 5-4 shootout win at Ottawa.

What he did in his limited action was fish three pucks out of his own net in the first period, turning a 1-0 lead into a 3-1 deficit. After he was yanked for the first time since Dec. 19, Fleury witnessed a stellar performance by backup Jocelyn Thibault, who stopped 15-of-16 shots in regulation and overtime, then 2 of 3 in the shootout.

"It's always frustrating when you get pulled like that, but it was good to see my teammates come back and get the win," Fleury said Wednesday after practice at Mellon Arena. "I felt all right, and the first goal was a bad bounce. And that's what's frustrating a little bit."

Fleury is becoming known as an enigma, a goaltender who can make a spectacular save on one shot, then give up a weak goal on the next.

His inconsistent play forced coach Michel Therrien to start Thibault during a recent two-game road swing to Florida. Though Thibault stood out against Florida, when he stopped 32-of-33 shots, he was pulled in the second period of a Feb. 25 loss against Tampa Bay.

He knows exactly what it feels like.

"It's never fun. It's the worst feeling when you get pulled from a game," Thibault said. "It's happened before, and it's going to happen again. And that's just the way it is. You're going to have nights where it's going to be harder and you have to bounce back."

Even during the Penguins' recent 14-0-2 streak, Fleury's play went to extremes. After a brilliant 30-save performance Feb. 3 at Washington, he came back the next night and gave up four goals on 29 shots in an overtime loss to Montreal.

In his last four games during that streak, all regulation wins, Fleury allowed at least four goals in each game.

In the start that ended the run, the 22-year-old was touched up for six goals in a loss to the New York Islanders, a defeat that sent Fleury to the bench for Thibault and started him on a week of intensive practice with goaltending coach Gilles Meloche.

For three starts, it appeared to work, as Fleury was refocused and back on top of his game. He was 2-1-0 in those games and surrendered only seven goals on 87 shots for an outstanding .966 save percentage.

That was before he was lit up for three goals on seven shots in the first period against Ottawa. The one that got Fleury pulled was a 55-foot slapshot from Chris Kelly that beat Fleury for a shorthanded goal.

"It's tough because I still have to learn and I still make mistakes," Fleury said. "I'm sure, with maybe a little more experience, I'll cut down on those, and that will make me more consistent."

Though Fleury has had his ups and downs, his teammates are quick to point out that, many times, the puck hitting the twine has more to do with what they're doing -- or in some cases not doing -- in front of him.

"There's probably certain situations where we didn't backcheck as hard or had a miscommunication or a missed check in our zone or something like that," Penguins center Sidney Crosby said. "For people watching, sometimes they don't see the little details of the game where, 10 seconds earlier, if you get a puck deep instead of turning it over, they don't get that opportunity. So, it's not always that exact moment of a play."

Still, seeing a goaltender get pulled isn't an easy thing for the player or his teammates.

It was especially difficult for the Penguins after the first period in Ottawa, considering the way the team came back and won.

"You don't want to see it come to that," Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "There's some plays that we definitely could have helped him out on, clearing guys in front, playing the man and breaking the puck out so they didn't have it in our zone as much. By no means was this all on him ...

"You need your teammates to support you out there, and I think we could have done a better job helping 'Fleur' out there."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_496697.html
Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #1335
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Amid uncertainty, Penguins play on

By The Associated Press
Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Pittsburgh Penguins are trying to keep the franchise's uncertain future from infringing on a tight playoff race.

The lack of a deal with government officials to finance a new arena is clouding the issue of where the Penguins will play next season. But team members are trying to forge ahead with this season and keep their focus squarely on the Eastern Conference and a busy March schedule.

"Guys have been following (the arena situation), but we've just had so many games we just concentrate on hockey," defenseman Brooks Orpik said.

"I know the majority of the guys here want to stay here. Guys like playing here. But as much as we want to stay here, if the team has to leave, it's out of our control. It's tough to get too high or too low even when a deal comes or doesn't come."

Winger Colby Armstrong says the Penguins need to concentrate on what they can control, and that's anything on the ice.

"We're not politicians or owners or anything like that in this room," Armstrong said. "So we just have to worry about winning games right now."

Players said management does not update them about the situation, and they get their information from news outlets the same way fans do. Even star Sidney Crosby, who lives with Lemieux ? the team's former superstar ? is out of the loop.

Armstrong and many teammates said they would prefer to remain in Pittsburgh, which is one of the NHL's strongest American markets.

Sellouts are the norm at Mellon Arena ? the league's oldest facility ? and local television ratings are among the highest of any American NHL market.

But team officials Monday declared an impasse in negotiations after they said they met Gov. Ed Rendell's demand of a $4 million per-year contribution to a new facility, and said they would aggressively pursue a move to a different market.

Kansas City already has made an offer to lure the team, and some members of the Penguins' brass met with Las Vegas officials Wednesday.

Co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle, Rendell and other political and NHL officials were expected to meet Thursday in Philadelphia to continue discussions aimed at keeping the team in Pittsburgh.

Meanwhile, the Penguins ? one of the league's hottest teams since January ? play on.

"We all want to stay here," defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "We're just hoping it can get worked out."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_496718.html
Old 03-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #1336
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Penguins not playing over their heads

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Penguins were fortunate in Ottawa, but what they achieved was nonetheless revealing.

It had been since Oct. 15, 1991, that the Pens found themselves trailing by three or more goals in the third period on the road and came back to win a game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Back then, the deficit was 6-2 on Long Island, before goals from Mario Lemieux (two), Mark Recchi, Jaromir Jagr and Phil Bourque decided it in favor of the then-defending champions.

"Mine was the game-winner in OT," Bourque recalled Wednesday.

Bourque is a radio analyst these days.

And Recchi is 39.

So, yeah, it had been awhile.

The current Penguins are a lot closer to relocation than they are defending a Stanley Cup championship, so let the comparisons end there.

But the Pens also are starting to look like more than merely a playoff team. They're beginning to suspiciously resemble a collection capable of inflicting some serious damage in the postseason.

That charge back from a 4-1 deficit with less than 11 minutes remaining in regulation Tuesday night produced the Penguins' 18th victory in their past 24 games.

They've picked up points in 20 of their past 24 (18-4-2 --, a stretch that represents 29.3 percent of their schedule.

At some point, such production goes beyond identifying a team as "hot" and instead reveals one that's come together.

The Pens have done well enough as a unit to be able to stay together and win a game in which they had to pull their goaltender early, as they did against the Senators.

They've become a team that can win without its power-play dominating and without Sidney Crosby -- no points in regulation in four of the past five games -- putting up numbers at a league-leading pace.

The Pens can win when Evgeni Malkin looks like only the second-best rookie in the NHL, in part because there are times when Jordan Staal looks like the best.

They can win when they bench a second-line winger -- Michel Ouellet against the Senators. Such is the extent of the quality depth -- Nils Ekman.

They can win with the lines and the defense pairings seemingly in a constant state of change, in part because it's become more important to play the system than it is to play in consistent combinations.

They can roll four lines and play almost everyone in overtime. Eight of 12 forwards and all six defensemen saw extra-session ice time in Ottawa, and Crosby skated two shifts in five minutes.

They haven't gone 18-4-2 by accident, not that they're taking 18-4-2 for granted.

"It's one-goal games, shootouts, overtimes, differences of third periods," Crosby said. "Twenty of our games could have gone the other way."

Could have, yes.

But they didn't.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_496710.html
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #1337
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Pens's Christensen becoming shootout ace

By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, March 8, 2007

In 11 shootout attempts, Erik Christensen has scored seven goals, which ties him for the second-most in the NHL behind Minnesota's Mikko Koivu, who has scored eight in 15 tries. Most surprising is that even he doesn't know how he's doing it.

"I can't explain it," Christensen said. "I just try to have fun with it, have something planned before I go down and pick up the puck and try to enjoy it."

The Penguins have won seven consecutive shootouts, the second-longest current streak in the NHL behind Tampa Bay's eight. Christensen has scored on three of his past four attempts as the team's first shooter. It's certainly a far cry from the early part of the season, when the Penguins were 1-5 in their first six shootouts.

"I've been fortunate to be a part of it," Christensen said. "I think getting that first lead is a crucial thing. It's good for your psyche, and I think the best thing is that everyone has left us alone now that we're scoring."

Universal Crossword

• Only 13 skaters and two goaltenders took part in the team's optional practice Wednesday at Mellon Arena. That may not seem like a lot, but considering that the players didn't get back from Ottawa until the wee hours of the morning, it was fair turnout. Coach Michel Therrien allowed his assistants to run practice.

"It's just a young team and a group that's eager to learn," Penguins center Sidney Crosby said. "That's probably the biggest thing: Guys want to make sure they're sharp, and being younger, there's probably a little more energy to us."

• Among the players who didn't attend were forwards Gary Roberts, Mark Recchi and Georges Laraque, three veteran players whose combined age is 109.

"You have to take care of your body, especially with the second half being a little more intense and a little bit harder on your body," Crosby said. "Throw on the schedule that we have remaining, it's pretty demanding and you have to make sure you manage that well."

Digits

1 - Points for Crosby in his past five games.

2 - Points Crosby needs for his second consecutive 100-point season.

4 - Points for Crosby in six games against the New Jersey Devils this season.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 PM   #1338
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Scouting the Devils

By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, March 8, 2007

Today's game

New Jersey Devils (40-19-8) at Penguins (36-21-9)

When, where: 7:30 p.m. ? Mellon Arena

TV/Radio: FSN Pittsburgh/WXDX-FM (105.9)

Probable goaltenders: Martin Brodeur (39-18-7, 2.14 GAA); Marc-Andre Fleury (31-14-7, 2.92 GAA).

Notable: This will be the seventh of eight meetings this season, with the Devils holding a 4-2-0 edge. ... Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury has started every game against the Devils this season, but he is coming off one of his worst starts of the year; he was pulled after allowing three goals in the first period of a 5-4 shootout win over Ottawa. ... Fleury was knocked out once against the Devils this season when he allowed four goals on eight shots in a 5-2 loss Dec. 1. ... Evgeni Malkin still leads all NHL rookies in scoring, but he has been held without a point in five consecutive games. ... Penguins center Jordan Staal set a league rookie record Tuesday with his seventh shorthanded goal this season. Mario Lemieux has the overall record with 13. ... New Jersey goaltender Martin Brodeur is coming off his worst start since a 5-4 loss to the Penguins on Feb. 16. He allowed five goals in an overtime loss Tuesday to Philadelphia.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #1339
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Penguins' players try to ignore off-ice drama

Thursday, March 08, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins keep winning. Their comeback, 5-4 shootout win at Ottawa Tuesday night kept them solidly in fifth place in the Eastern Conference and moved them to within seven points of the Atlantic Division-leading New Jersey Devils, who will haul a three-game losing streak into Mellon Arena tonight.

In a world with fewer distractions, that would make for a great story line.

But, with the team's future in the air and negotiations for a new arena apparently coming to a head, the players can't help but get caught up some in the off-ice news -- especially the development this week that Penguins owners believe they are at an impasse with state and local politicians and are stepping up their interest in relocating the club.

"We haven't really discussed it much. We've been pretty busy with playing," Penguins winger Colby Armstrong said yesterday after practice at Mellon Arena.

"But, at the same time, the new news kind of popped up. We'll see what happens with the new rink. It's out of our hands, but it's obviously of interest to us because it's the future of this team and everybody in this room."

Several players said they do not get updates from upper management and follow the efforts to get a new arena mostly through the same news reports as fans.

"It's getting tough at times [to ignore]," forward Jordan Staal said. "I don't think anyone in this dressing room wants to move. I think it's getting pretty close to crunch time, or maybe it's been like that for a while.

"It's upsetting. I know the fans really want us to stay."

The Penguins' future has been cloudy for some time. The club was for sale most of last year, but a transaction didn't materialize. Their lease at Mellon Arena expires in June, meaning they will be free to move to another city if there is no lease agreement and financing in place for a new local venue.

That has been a difficult juxtaposition for a team of young players that has exceeded expectations after finishing second-to-last in the overall NHL standings last season.

They are left chugging toward the light at the end of the tunnel on the ice and toward the darkness of an uncertain future away from the rink.

"I think the better we do, the more excitement it draws from the city and there's a bigger push for everyone to want to keep the team here and get a new rink for us," Armstrong said. "There's a lot of behind-closed-door stuff that needs to be done to straighten it out. We're not politicians or owners or anything in [the locker] room. We just have to worry about winning games.

"I guess if we had to do our part, it would be winning games. We've had great fans all year long. We just have to keep winning and playing well."

If the team does that, it no doubt will make the playoffs for the first time since 2001.

Postseason games at Mellon Arena always have been raucous, but there is a chance that it could be a lame-duck team by then.

"That would be tough," Staal said. "This town is ready to erupt pretty soon, especially if we make the playoffs. I definitely don't want to move. I love it here."

For some, the drawn-out process of deciding the team's future has gotten to the overload point.

"You hear little bits and pieces," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "Everybody is getting kind of tired about hearing about everything without anything happening.

"Guys are still interested, obviously, but we've had so many games that it's gotten kind of pushed aside in our locker room."

Center Sidney Crosby, who leads the NHL in scoring and has become the face of the league in many ways, is another player who does not invest too much emotion into the team's off-ice plight.

"It's been such an up-and-down thing the whole year. It seems like it's always changing, always different stories," he said. "I don't really look into it that much. When the day comes to make a decision, you take that decision and move on. Hopefully, it will be to stay here, but it's out of our control.

"The fans have shown their support and done everything they can. It's up to certain people, and we'll see what happens."

When a decision is made, Penguins players can't count on Crosby for the news, even though he lives with the family of team owner Mario Lemieux.

"You would think Sid would be on top of it, living at Mario's house, but he's the one that's always asking the questions," Orpik said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07067/767811-61.stm
Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #1340
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Penguins Notebook: Staal torments goalies with huge wingspan

Thursday, March 08, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's no cliche. Penguins forward Jordan Staal speaks softly and carries a big hockey stick.

"Everyone says it's real long, but I don't think it's that long," Staal said yesterday.

Teammate Maxime Talbot, sitting nearby, shot Staal an incredulous look.

"I think it just looks long with my reach," Staal said.

That reach has helped Staal, 18, have a sensational rookie season.

Going into the home game tonight against New Jersey, he leads the league with seven short-handed goals and a .287 shooting percentage and is second among rookies with 27 goals.

His short-handed goal in the third period Tuesday night sparked the Penguins' comeback from a 4-1 deficit to a 5-4 shootout win at Ottawa.

His seven short-handed goals are an NHL rookie record, topping the mark of six shared by Gerry Minor (Vancouver 1980-81) and John Madden (New Jersey, 1999-2000).

Staal, who is 6 feet 4, guesses that with his arm and stick length, the distance he can sweep the puck from one side of his body to the other might be as much as 10 feet.

"I have a lot of width there," Staal said. "I guess it's kind of tough to contain that kind of reach. I'm just trying to use it to the best of my ability. I saw some great players, like Mario Lemieux, who had a great reach and really used it well."

Staal has control at the end of that reach. He has found that goaltenders are confounded that he is able to get off a shot with the puck so far from his body.

"I think it kind of fools goalies when I have it stretched out and I just let it go. They're not expecting a shot," he said.

"It seems to be working for me."

Fleury expects to start

Penguins No. 1 goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, who expects to start tonight against the Devils, was yanked in favor of Jocelyn Thibault after the first period at Ottawa and was a spectator while his teammates staged the comeback to win.

"It's always frustrating when you get pulled like that, but I was really happy to see my teammates come back and get the win," said Fleury, who allowed three goals on seven shots.

Optional skate draws 15

Despite a busy schedule of 17 games this month, 15 players participated in the Penguins' optional practice, which was run by the assistant coaches.

"It's just a young team and a group that's eager to learn, eager to get better," center Sidney Crosby said. "Guys just want to make sure they're sharp."

Those who did not practice were defensemen Josef Melichar, Alain Nasreddine and Sergei Gonchar and forwards Mark Recchi, Gary Roberts, Ryan Malone, Georges Laraque, Evgeni Malkin and Talbot, although Talbot skated earlier in shorts and a T-shirt.

Forward clutch in shootouts

Penguins forward Erik Christensen believes the introduction of the shootout and the extra point awarded to teams that lose in overtime or a shootout has helped to clog the standings.

But he understands why the NHL made the change.

"After the lockout, they wanted to do something for the fans," Christensen said. "After the fans put up with the winter with no hockey, they wanted to give them something like the shootout. They obviously enjoy it.

"No matter how it plays out in the standings, it's an exciting part of the game."

And a part of the game that has made Christensen indispensable to the Penguins. He has scored seven shootout goals, tied for second in the league, on 11 shots this season. Three of them have clinched victories.

Slap shots

Crosby on the team's recent habit of falling behind then scrambling back: "It's tough to play like that. It's tough on everyone's nerves." ... New Jersey winger Brian Gionta reinjured his groin Tuesday in his second game back. His status for tonight is unclear. ... Devils winger Cam Janssen will be serving the third game of a three-game suspension.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07067/767837-61.stm