Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #1391
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

3-2 LET'S GO PENS!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 03-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #1392
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

4-2! GONCHAR SCORES!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #1393
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857

What a great game! This is what the NHL is all about. Congrats to the Pens on another tight win.

There seemed to be an awful lot of Buffalo fans there.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #1394
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I wasn't able to see the game, unfortunately. But this is a great win for the Penguins over one of the top teams in the conference.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #1395
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

WHAT A GAME! 5-4 IN THE SHOOTOUT.

Hey I just came up with something. This could piss off the KC people who acted like the Pens were moving there when they knew they weren't.

Price Of Mellon Arena:$22 Million
Price of New Penguin Arena:$290 Million
Keeping the Pittsburgh Penguins in Pittsburgh while saying NO PENGUINS FOR YOU KC and Vegas and beating Buffalo in the same night:PRICELESS

Old 03-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #1396
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
WHAT A GAME! 5-4 IN THE SHOOTOUT.

Hey I just came up with something. This could piss off the KC people who acted like the Pens were moving there when they knew they weren't.

Price Of Mellon Arena:$22 Million
Price of New Penguin Arena:$290 Million
Keeping the Pittsburgh Penguins in Pittsburgh while saying NO PENGUINS FOR YOU KC and Vegas and beating Buffalo in the same night:PRICELESS
Damn straight, SCM!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 AM   #1397
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Pens win on historic night

By Karen Price
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The lights went down at Mellon Arena in the minutes before Tuesday's game between the Penguins and Buffalo Sabres, and a spotlight fell on the ice just outside the Zamboni tunnel.

The roar grew louder and louder until it hit a deafening pitch as the sold-out crowd of 17,132 realized it was Mario Lemieux standing in front of them.

"I'm proud to announce your Pittsburgh Penguins will remain here in Pittsburgh where they belong," Lemieux said hours after a news conference announcing a new arena deal.

Two-and-a-half hours later, the crowd was on its feet in celebration once again after the Penguins knocked off the Eastern Conference-leading Buffalo Sabres in a shootout, 5-4.

Erik Christensen and Sidney Crosby scored for the Penguins in the shootout, and Marc-Andre Fleury allowed one goal but made the final save after Crosby scored for the victory.

The Penguins (38-21-10) have gone to overtime in their last five games and six out of the past seven.

"We deserved to win this one," Crosby said. "A few of the other ones we didn't play 60 minutes, and we didn't deserve to win maybe in some cases. But (Tuesday) we really limited their shots, and I think we deserved to win this one."

Crosby had a goal and two assists in regulation for his first multi-point game in 10 games. Ryan Malone, Maxime Talbot and Sergei Gonchar scored the other three for the Penguins. Ryan Whitney had three assists, and Gonchar also had an assist.

Fleury made 15 saves as the Penguins outshot the Sabres, 38-19.

The Penguins did let a two-goal lead in the third period slip away, but it was the first game of late in which they haven't had to mount a furious comeback in the third period in order to get a win.

"I look at this game as a positive -- we got two points," Penguins forward Mark Recchi said. "We took the battle to them. That's the first real solid game we have played in a while."

Crosby said the win was even nicer when coupled with the news of the day that the team is staying in Pittsburgh.

"It's exciting when you skate on the ice with the energy in the building (last night)," Crosby said. "I think everyone's relieved including us. We can put it past us and move forward, and I think we're all happy for that."

Crosby and Gonchar scored in the third period to open a tie game and take a 4-2 lead, but Daniel Briere scored after getting open on a 2-on-1 with eight minutes left and Chris Drury tied it with seven seconds left to force overtime.

Drury's goal came after the Sabres called a timeout and pulled goaltender Ryan Miller out of the net for an extra skater.

Crosby won the faceoff, and the Penguins took the play to the Sabres' end, where Recchi hit the post and Malone hit the side of the net before the Sabres got control with 20 seconds left in regulation.

Defenseman Josef Melichar actually got to the puck behind the Penguins' net but couldn't clear it on a wraparound attempt, and Drury was in front of the net to convert a pass from Briere.

"They got a little bit lucky near the end, but I was pleased with how we played," said Penguins coach Michel Therrien, who returned to the team following a four-day absence to attend the funeral of his father, Gerry, in Montreal. "That was maybe our strongest game in a long time."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_497563.html
Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #1398
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Pens' Laraque sits with back spasms

By The Tribune-Review

Georges Laraque did not play in Tuesday's game against the Buffalo Sabres because of back spasms that started after Saturday's game against the New York Rangers.

"I've never had them before, so hopefully it's just a couple of days," Laraque said. "It's frustrating because I obviously just got here, and (Tuesday) is such a big game, with the announcement that the team's staying here. The crowd's going to be pumped. But with my back, I can't do anything."

? Coach Michel Therrien was back in town but still not with the team yesterday morning following the death of his father in Montreal this past Thursday. He did coach the game last night, however, as of yesterday morning, assistant Andre Savard said they still had not decided on whether Marc-Andre Fleury or Jocelyn Thibault would get the start tonight against the New Jersey Devils.

? Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur has the second-lowest goals-against average in the NHL at 2.14 and the most wins at 41. He has played in 66 games this season, and this is his NHL-record sixth 40-win season in his 13-year career.

"His consistency is what impresses me the most," Thibault said of Brodeur. "Everybody can play a good game once in a while, but he does it game in and game out. Obviously, you can't play 72 great games, but he's not far from that. He's very consistent and he's durable."

? Right wing Ronald Petrovicky got back in the lineup with Laraque out. The Penguins scratched forwards Chris Thorburn and Nils Ekman and defenseman Joel Kwiatkowski.

Digits

157 - Number of goals the Devils have allowed this season, the fewest in the East.

213 - Number of goals the Penguins have allowed this season, seventh-fewest in the East.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_497599.html
Old 03-14-2007, 12:24 AM   #1399
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Scouting the Devils

By The Tribune-Review

Today's game

Penguins (38-21-10) at New Jersey Devils (42-19-8)

When, where: 7:30 p.m. - Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, N.J.

TV/radio: FSN/WXDX-FM (105.9)

Probable goaltenders: Jocelyn Thibault (5-7-2, 3.03 GAA); Martin Brodeur (41-18-7, 2.14 GAA)

Notable: The Devils are 5-2 against the Penguins in the season series, including four one-goal decisions. They beat the Penguins in a shootout last week at Mellon Arena. ... The Devils are 13-5-3 in 21 games since the All-Star break following a 3-2 win over the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday. They are 25-7-6 in their last 38 games and 30-10-6 in their last 45. ... Patrik Elias leads the team in scoring with 21 goals and 44 assists in 65 games.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #1400
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
What a great game! This is what the NHL is all about. Congrats to the Pens on another tight win.

There seemed to be an awful lot of Buffalo fans there.
There were. They were cool fans (unlike the Toronto jagoffs). The Buffalo fans I spoke with congratulated us on our new arena. Buffalo fans and Pittsburgh fans can relate to a degree. Both support small market teams and if I recall correctly there were strong rumors out of Buffalo before the lockout that they may have been relocated.

As for the game. We looked alot better than we have been looking over these past 8-10 games. We put 59 minutes together and came away with two points. I was very happy to see this team come out of the gates and play physical. We went down a goal and struck back immediately. We did not lay down for the first two periods while giving up two or three more goals. Fleury played solid. No cheap goals and he controlled his rebounds.

Now on to NJ. We need to come out and play the way we did last night. Physical from the start, get the puck down low, cycle it and take advantage of the very few PP chances NJ will give us. We can ill afford to go down by two or three goals against this team. They play boring but effective drain the clock type of hockey when they have a lead. While I would love to grab two points tonight, I'll be content with taking one point on the road against NJ.