Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 PM   #1431
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Staal a thriller as a penalty killer

Friday, March 16, 2007
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jordan Staal is not entirely new to this line of work, you know.

He actually spent quite a bit of time killing penalties while playing junior hockey in Peterborough, Ontario, last winter.

Went fairly well, too, as he recalls.

"I did a pretty good job of it, I think," Staal said. "And it kind of carried over here."

Yeah, kind of. The same way that whole singing thing worked out OK for Mick Jagger.

Never mind that it's quite a feat for a guy who's nearly six months shy of his 19th birthday to be cashing a professional paycheck, let along holding down a spot in an NHL team's penalty-killing rotation.

For as effective as Staal, who teams with Ryan Malone on one of the Penguins' two penalty-killing units, has been at preventing goals in short-handed situations, it's the success he has had scoring them that's so remarkable.

He enters the Penguins' game against Montreal at 7:38 p.m. today at Mellon Arena with seven short-handed goals. That's a record for NHL rookies, and three more than the rest of the first-year players in the league had combined to score before last night's games.

In fact, Staal had produced more short-handed goals than 13 teams had before last night. Indeed, even though Staal has appeared in only 69 games at this level, he needs just one short-handed goal to tie Malone for ninth place on the Penguins' all-time list.

Even though the Petes gave him regular work as a penalty-killer, Staal allowed that "I don't remember getting a whole lot [of short-handed goals] during the [regular] season."

There's a good reason for that. His seven short-handed goals are five more than he got in 68 games in 2005-06, which makes what Staal has done during his first five-plus months in the NHL all the more amazing.

Therrien, cognizant of Staal's penalty-killing experience in the Ontario Hockey League and the Memorial Cup junior championships, said yesterday that he initially plugged Staal into that role primarily "to find him some more ice time."

It didn't take long for Staal to settle in, however, and it quickly became apparent that his size, skills and instincts made him a natural for the job.

"He's got such a good stick, and he's always in good position," Therrien said. "The way he sees the game, the way he angles the play, the way he uses his stick, the way he reads the game, you could see [that he could kill penalties effectively]."

Of all Staal's assets -- and there are many -- none is more striking than his reach. Watch him extend his arms to block a pass or keep the puck away from an opponent, and you get the impression that he could stand on top of a 747 and touch the tips of both wings. Without stretching.

Couple that with his hockey sense, and it translates to a lot of frustration for opposing players.

"He puts himself in positions to use his reach or intercept passes," Malone said. "That's something you really can't teach. It's just something that he's got."

And when he has the puck, the value of Staal's reach is compounded by the way he's able to use his strength and his 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame to shield it from opponents. That's a common thread in many of his short-handed goals.

"When he has a step on players, he's tough to contain," Therrien said.

Staal's hands are pretty special, too. He has 28 goals -- that matches his total in Peterborough last season -- on 108 shots, a conversion rate of 25.9 percent that is, by far, the best in the NHL. Alex Tanguay of Calgary and Ottawa's Jason Spezza were tied for second before last night's games at 21.1 percent.

He has at least an outside chance at claiming a place in the NHL record book as the most accurate rookie shooter in league history. That mark belongs to Penguins alum Warren Young, who converted 30.8 percent of his shots in 1984-85, while ex-Penguin Rob Brown ranks second at 30 percent during 1987-88.

If he doesn't get that record, Staal might be able to make a run at another -- Mario Lemieux's single-season mark of 13 short-handed goals, set in 1988-89 -- someday if penalty-killing remains part of his job description.

"That's always going to be there [as a target] for him," Malone said. "Thirteen, that's a lot. ... But you never know."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07075/770014-61.stm
Old 03-16-2007, 12:06 AM   #1432
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Penguins Notebook: Laraque ready, may still sit

Friday, March 16, 2007
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Right winger Georges Laraque, bothered by back spasms for most of this week, said he is fully recovered and ready to return to the lineup.

Whether there will be a place for him there when the Penguins face Montreal at 7:38 p.m. today at Mellon Arena isn't clear, however.

Coach Michel Therrien was noncommittal yesterday about dressing Laraque against the Canadiens, and it's likely that Laraque's medical status won't be the only factor considered before a decision is rendered.

Therrien might be reluctant to alter the lineup -- which had Ronald Petrovicky filling in for Laraque -- that produced victories against Buffalo and New Jersey, the top two teams in the Eastern Conference, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Laraque wants to play, regardless of the circumstances, and said having tonight's game be against his hometown team isn't really an issue for him.

"Obviously, it's always special, but not as much as it was the first time," he said. "Or if it was in Montreal."

With the Penguins in the midst of a stretch of five games in seven days, Therrien gave most of his players yesterday off.

The only ones who joined Laraque and Petrovicky on the ice at Mellon Arena were forwards Chris Thorburn and Nils Ekman, defensemen Mark Eaton and Joel Kwiatkowski and goalies Marc-Andre Fleury and Jocelyn Thibault.

Vertigo sidelines Kovalev

Montreal right winger Alex Kovalev will miss tonight's game because of vertigo, a condition that affects a person's sense of balance.

He first noticed a problem early Monday morning, and it was severe enough to force him to sit out Montreal's 5-3 victory against the New York Islanders the next night.

Although Kovalev returned for an optional workout Wednesday, he said he still was feeling some effects of the condition and was candid when speaking with Montreal reporters about his health concerns.

"First, I thought something was going on with my brain," he said. "Definitely, when you don't know what it is, it makes you scared."

Kovalev, who did not accompany his teammates, is the Canadiens' No. 4 scorer, with 14 goals and 28 assists in 63 games.

Diving leaders

It's no secret that the Penguins and Canadiens have much in common -- both teams are fighting for an Eastern Conference playoff spot, and Therrien used to coach in Montreal -- but they share at least one distinction few realize. And of which neither side likely is very proud.

Going into last night's games, they were the only teams in the NHL with two players who have received more than one diving minor this season.

Erik Christensen and Colby Armstrong of the Penguins have been assessed two, as have Canadiens forwards Michael Ryder and Tomas Plekanec.

New York Rangers center Sean Avery has a league-high four diving minors.

Power-play success

Montreal's power play is among the most dangerous in the NHL -- the Canadiens have scored on 22.2 percent of their chances with the extra man, tying San Jose for first place in the efficiency ratings before last night's games -- and defenseman Sheldon Souray has been particularly productive during man-advantages.

Of his 57 points, 41 have come during power plays. Sixteen of those have been goals, leaving Souray two shy of the league record shared by Denis Potvin (1974-75) and Adrian Aucoin (1988-89).

Souray's total of 23 goals is the most by an NHL defenseman since Sergei Gonchar of the Penguins had 26 in 2001-02, when he played for Washington. Conversely, Souray's plus-minus rating of minus-20 is the worst among the league's 20 highest-scoring defensemen, while Gonchar's minus-7 is third worst.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07075/770013-61.stm
Old 03-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #1433
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

1-0! Crosby with his 30th.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 03-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #1434
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

CHRISTENSEN PUTS THE PENS UP 2-0!

But Higgins Makes it 2-1.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 03-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #1435
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Great game by the Pens tonight! A 6-3 win, and more importantly, shut up all of those stupid Habs fans in the crowd! Actually, the Habs fans weren't bad, but I still enjoyed seeing them get real quiet after the Pens got the lead. Crosby with 2 goals, Christensen with a pair, Malkin with 2 assists and Ouellet with a goal and assist to pace the team tonight. They leapfrog the Sens back into 4th place and pull back within 4 of the Devils for the division lead. It's nice to see the Pens starting to play good hockey as they get closer to the playoffs - it will definitely serve them well because it will give them plenty of confidence.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #1436
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

LARAQUE SOLID AS A ROCK ON AND OFF THE ICE

by Joe Sager
pittsburghpenguins.com
03/16/2007

Georges Laraque gives plenty of substance to his nickname ?The Rock.?

At 6-foot-3 and 243 pounds of pure muscle, he is tough and menacing ? someone to avoid on the ice if you?re not wearing a Penguins jersey.

Yet, away from the rink, Laraque is charismatic, outgoing, giving and well-spoken ? frequently walking around with a smile on his face.

Quite a difference to his on-ice reputation as the NHL?s heavyweight champ.

?The fact that I fight for a living and all that stuff, it?s not my personality off the ice,? he said. ?When people get to know me off the ice, they know that?s not who I am. I am a sociable person; I try to talk to everybody and help out as much as I can.?

And, helping out he does. While Laraque may be the toughest player in the NHL, he may be the most giving, too. For every hit he?s thrown on the ice throughout his career, he?s caused far more smiles.

?With the Oilers the previous five years, I won the community award. I won it in Phoenix, too, even though I got traded [to Pittsburgh on Feb. 27]. It?s not about winning. I just want to be active wherever I am and make a difference in every city I am in and have an impact,? he said. ?I want people to remember, yeah, athletes make a lot of money, but some actually try to make a difference and I try as much as I can. The team knows I will do as much as I can here and I don?t say no to anything. There are no bad charities. Everything is good and every cause is good and I will try to be involved as much as I can.

?I try to do as much as I can because I feel fortunate enough to be in the NHL. I thank God for giving me that chance. One of the ways to thank God is by acting and giving back,? he continued. ?The great thing about being a professional athlete is that we have the power of making a sick child happy or changing people?s lives by a simple visit or shaking their hand or talking to them. This is unreal; it?s one of the most rewarding things in hockey ? for me, anyway.

?When I do retire or whatever happens, I will be more proud of the lives I?ve touched through my entire career.?

The Penguins have always been active in the community and Laraque can?t wait to be a part of that ? and more.

?Every team takes time to give back. I just like to go above and beyond that because you can always do more. The more I do, the better I feel,? he said. ?Hockey has given me that opportunity and it?s so easy. It?s so easy to do, so why not take advantage of that? That?s why I feel fortunate and why I want to thank God by showing it.?

Laraque is more proud of the time he?s invested in visiting children in hospitals or reading books to students at elementary schools than the minutes he?s spent in the penalty box.

?What I do on the ice is my job. I don?t do it because I like it; I do it because that?s what got me to the NHL and it?s what I have to do to stay,? he said. ?Off the ice, I don?t fight. It?s totally not my character. You?re not a role model if you go out there and cause trouble and fight.?

Laraque prides himself in being a good role model.

?It?s important ? you have to conduct yourself well off the ice so people will look up to you and realize you?re a good person to be around or a good person to be a spokesperson for a charity or something like that,? he said.

The Penguins offer a solid environment, which is one of the reasons why Laraque waived his no-trade clause in order to be dealt here at the NHL trading deadline.

?It was my decision to come here. This is such a young, talented and up-and-coming team,? he said. ?It?s like a big family here. Everybody hangs out together. There are no cliques. They play with such enthusiasm. It?s really fun to be a part of a team that cares and wants to win. It?s awesome to be able to be one of the veterans who can show hard work, but at the same time, perform the job that I have, which is to look after them.?

Laraque enjoys socializing with his fans. People may send him email at letsrock27@hotmail.com. He looks forward to what his fans have to say.

?I get like 1,500 emails a day and I try to respond to them all. I have a laptop so I take it with me on the road, too. I love it,? he said. ?Those are the people who pay our salaries; those are the people who pack the building; those are the people that give us the energy to get off the bench and want to score or do something on the ice. These are the people who give us shivers when they scream and, when we?re down by a goal, they give us energy when we?re tired. So, the least I can do is show them some appreciation by replying to an email or anything. They give us energy and I give them energy by writing back because they get excited ? it?s a circle. I love that stuff.?

After his first couple weeks in Pittsburgh, Penguins fans love him, too.

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/te...rts/2398.0.php
Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #1437
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Notebook: Pens' Ruutu wants another chance in shootout

Saturday, March 17, 2007

• Winger Jarkko Ruutu didn't score when he took part in the Penguins' shootout Tuesday night, but Ruutu said he was 5 for 7 last season with the Vancouver Canucks. "It didn't work last time, but we'll see next time if I get a chance," Ruutu said Friday. "I know the things I'm good at and things I'd like to do. It depends on the goalie and how he reacts. I think the goalie last time knew what I was going to do, so I'll have to switch it up." Ruutu took the place of Evgeni Malkin, who is 3 for 12 in shootouts this season. Erik Christensen is tied with Mikko Koivu for the most shootout goals in the NHL with eight (on 13 attempts).

• Defenseman Sergei Gonchar had to break in a new pair of skates last night after his old ones fell apart during the middle of Wednesday's game against the New Jersey Devils. The rivets in Gonchar's skate broke, causing the blade to separate from the boot, and that allowed John Madden to get a breakaway on goaltender Jocelyn Thibault. "Imagine how I felt," Gonchar said. "Guy gets a breakaway, I couldn't skate. I had to just look at him."

• Penguins goaltending prospect David Brown was named the Central Collegiate Hockey Association Player of the Year. Brown, whom the Penguins drafted in the eighth round (228th overall) in 2004, led the NCAA in goals-against average (1.64) and posted a .928 save percentage with a 27-5-3 record. Notre Dame won its first CCHA regular season title and finished the year as the No. 1-ranked team in the country. He also is one of 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Award for college's best player.

• The Penguins scratched forwards Chris Thorburn, Ronald Petrovicky and Nils Ekman and defenseman Joel Kwiatkowski last night against Montreal.

Digits

18 - Wins the Penguins had through 71 games last season.

48 - Points the Penguins had through 71 games last season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_498219.html
Old 03-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #1438
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Christensen, Crosby spark Penguins' victory

By Karen Price
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 17, 2007

There aren't too many players in the NHL who can take the puck and go up against four opposing players and have a chance to score.

But Sidney Crosby is a one-in-a-million type of player, and he proved it again with another highlight-reel goal in a 6-3 win over the Montreal Canadiens on Friday at Mellon Arena.

The 19-year-old center got the puck in the Penguins' end with the game still scoreless, and just after he hit the offensive blue line, he faced a 1-on-4 situation. Crosby went down the middle and angled toward Sheldon Souray, who was minus-20 going into the game, and jumped to the outside of the 6-4, 227-pound defenseman.

He let the shot go just as he cleared Souray and scored his 30th goal and league-leading 105th point of the season.

Since scoring only twice in 19 games, Crosby has four goals in the last four games.

"I just tried to split the 'D' and get a shot off," Crosby said. "I was just trying to drive through the middle. That was basically it. There wasn't much else going through my mind."

Like the sellout crowd at Mellon Arena, teammate Erik Christensen was a little more impressed with Crosby's goal than Crosby seemed to be.

"He's performing miracles," Christensen said. "I wouldn't be surprised if he walked on water one of these days."

Christensen scored twice for his second two-goal game of the season. Gary Roberts and Michel Ouellet also scored, and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury made 25 saves.

After going to overtime in five straight games, last night was the Penguins' second consecutive win in regulation.

It was the Penguins' fourth victory in a row after defeating Buffalo and New Jersey -- the two best teams in the Eastern Conference -- earlier in the week, and their seventh win in the last nine games. They traded places with the Ottawa Senators again, moving one point ahead of them for fourth place in the East.

Crosby, who added an empty net goal with a minute left, was hit in the foot in the first period by a shot from teammate Brooks Orpik and again in the same spot in the third period by Canadiens defenseman Michael Komisarek.

He missed a shift in the third period but said afterward that he was OK.

"It's a little sore, but it will be all right," Crosby said. "It's been a tough couple games, but it's that time of year. I'll be fine. It's just too bad it had to hit me twice there. Once was enough."

The game was tied after two periods on goals from Crosby and Christensen for the Penguins in the first period and Chris Higgins and Souray -- both on power plays -- in the second period.

Christensen and Roberts scored two goals within 40 seconds to reclaim the two-goal lead.

But Mark Recchi high-sticked Danny Markov on the next shift, and the Canadiens, who have the second-best power play in the league, scored their third goal on the advantage to make it 4-3.

The Penguins had only one power play, and it came 10 seconds into the first period.

The Canadiens went into the game in 11th place in the Eastern Conference but only two points out of the eighth and final playoff spot.

"They're desperate," Crosby said. "There's a lot of teams battling for the last few spots. Every game's going to be like that."

Ouellet made it 5-3 at 13:47 of the third after another nice pass from Malkin, who assisted on Christensen's second goal of the game.

"In the third period, they really pushed us hard," Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau said. "We gave the puck away on the third goal and the fifth goal. When you have a talented team like they have, they make you pay."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_498206.html
Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #1439
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Penguins Notebook: Fans add to playoff pressure for Canadiens

Saturday, March 17, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With less than a month before the end of the regular season, the Montreal Canadiens were on the outside looking in for the Eastern Conference playoff race going into their game against the Penguins last night.

That's an uncomfortable position for a team with one of the richest histories in professional sports. Montreal has won 23 Stanley Cups and has made the playoffs all but 12 seasons since 1917-18.

Since they last won the Cup in 1993, though, the Canadiens have missed the playoffs five times and been ousted in the first round three other times, including last season.

The French-Canadian Penguins know the kind of expectations and emotion Montreal's playoff quest elicits in Quebec province.

"People expect every year that they will make the playoffs," Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury said yesterday. "Sometimes maybe it's more relaxing to play on the road."

Canadiens winger Guillaume Latendresse refuted that last point. He said it's more a case of the fans experiencing each win and loss -- and the cumulative results -- as if they were skating alongside the players.

"They're going to be frustrated for sure [if the Canadiens miss the playoffs]," Latendresse said, "but they know that we work hard every night to try to get in the playoffs."

"I have the French TV at home, with a dish, and it's crazy how much the media and the fans are putting pressure on this team," Penguins winger Maxime Talbot said.

Montreal coach Guy Carbonneau said the parity that has come with a salary cap and rules changes makes it difficult for any franchise to dominate or build a dynasty.

"Look at the two teams that made it to the finals last year -- they're struggling to make the playoffs this year," Carbonneau said.

That would be defending champion Carolina, which was barely above the playoff cutoff in the East, and Edmonton, which was 18 points out of a playoff spot in the West.

Pair of prospects shine

Notre Dame senior goaltender David Brown, an eighth-round draft choice by the Penguins in 2004, was named the Central Collegiate Hockey Association player of the year.

Brown led the NCAA with a goals-against average of 1.64 and tied for sixth with a .928 save percentage for the No. 1 Fighting Irish.

Brown is one of 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Award, college hockey's equivalent of the Heisman Trophy.

Another of the finalists is St. Cloud State goaltender Bobby Goepfert, a Penguins' sixth-round draft pick in 2002.

He had a 2.08 goals-against average.

Spreading the wealth

Going into last night, 10 players had at least one shorthanded goal for the Canadiens, including three defensemen.

Carbonneau said it's just a product of spreading the responsibility of killing penalties.

"We had so many penalties earlier this year that I had no choice but to use a lot more guys," Carbonneau said.

Slap shots

The Penguins scratched defenseman Joel Kwiatkowski and forwards Chris Thorburn, Ronald Petrovicky and Nils Ekman, with winger Georges Laraque returning to the lineup after he missed two games because of back spasms. ... Montreal scratched goaltender Michael Leighton and forwards Sergei Samonsov, Radek Bonk (flu), Alex Kovalev (vertigo) and Alexander Perezhogin.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07076/770312-61.stm
Old 03-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #1440
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857

They game wasn't on here. Can someone post Sid's first goal please?
Closed Thread