Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #1441
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
They game wasn't on here. Can someone post Sid's first goal please?

Here you go, Larry. It's the first on the highlights clip. It was a work of art - enjoy!

http://pittsburghpenguins.com/multim...r.php?rep=1975

It was one helluva game and if the Pens had stayed out of the sin bin, the Habs wouldn't have scored at all. Great effort by the guys again - here's hoping they can continue in like fashion against the Sens tomorrow. LETS GO PENS!

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 03-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #1442
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

To keep it short and sweet.....now they are putting 60 minutes together and getting solid goaltending. If they continue to play like this I would not want to be the team to face them in the first round.

Sid with the unbelievable goal.

Malkin with the beautiful saucer pass to Omelette.

Omelette played a good game. Even if he didn't score he was hustling non-stop. Something I hardly ever notice. From the drop of the puck to the final horn.

Erik Christensen played another great game. Proving what he can do when you actually play him along side talent (Malkin).

Defense playing solid overall even though Melichar still scares the hell out of me. When Eaton returns it will only make that defensive unit that much better. That's if Eaton can stay healthy for a straight week. That is starting to concern me just a bit.

Bring on Ottawa!!

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-17-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #1443
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Goaltenders are a good 1-2 punch on and off the ice
Sunday, March 18, 2007

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Marc-Andre Fleury already had his pads off and was unlacing his skates yesterday at Southpointe when Jocelyn Thibault lumbered by in full gear, fresh off the ice. Fleury extended an arm and got a knuckles-to-blocker greeting.

The two goaltenders smiled and began chatting in their native French. It's like that most days after Penguins practice.

Fleury, the young starter, and Thibault, the veteran backup, have developed a strong rapport.

"He's such a good off-ice guy. He's always there for me. He always tries to help me out," said Fleury, 22, who will start tonight against Ottawa but probably will sit out tomorrow night on the road against the New York Rangers while Thibault makes just his 16th start of the season.

A big brother. That's the way Penguins coach Michel Therrien describes Thibault's relationship with Fleury.

Thibault, 32, doesn't disagree, but he's not so altruistic that he's willing to be a quasi-coach to Fleury first -- the Penguins have assistant Gilles Meloche for that -- and a goaltender second.

"I think Marc-Andre is a great kid. I treat him almost like my brother. He's very receptive," said Thibault, whose playing time is increasing late in the season.

"Obviously, I'm here to do a job. If I don't play well, they won't keep me around just to be with Marc-Andre. I have to perform and do my thing. But if I can perform and do my thing, and I can help him out a little bit, great."

A little bit is about all that Thibault has been asked to do most of the season as the team grooms Fleury, the first overall pick in the June, 2003 draft, to be its No. 1 goaltender for years to come.

This season, his first full term in the NHL, Fleury is 34-14-8 with four shutouts, a 2.92 goals-against average and a .902 save percentage. He is tied for fourth-most wins in the NHL.

Although Thibault won't take credit for it, he sees positioning -- particularly squaring up on opponents -- as Fleury's biggest improvement over the course of the season.

"We can talk about technique a lot," Fleury said.

Thibault is 6-7-2 with a 2.84 goals-against average and a .907 save percentage and is coming off of a 3-0 shutout of New Jersey Wednesday.

He came into this season mostly hoping to regain his form after hip injuries and the season-long NHL lockout wiped out most of three seasons. He's done that, and then some.

"I think I've improved as the year's gone along. I feel much better now," Thibault said. "I kind of feel lucky to be a part of this team. We have a special chemistry. It's very refreshing for an old guy like me to be with those kids every day. We're really having fun and working hard.

"The last couple of years have been kind of hard, tough mentally, for me. This year, I'm really enjoying my year."

Even if that means playing sparingly at times and adding the role of mentor for Fleury.

Fleury was nearly Martin Brodeur-like much of this season. He started the team's first 11 games -- with Thibault playing in just 29 minutes, 37 seconds in one relief appearance during that time.

Through Feb. 16, Fleury had 47 decisions in the Penguins' 56 games. Thibault had appeared in 12 games.

It has been a little different the past month. With 17 games in March and the team pushing for a favorable playoff position, Thibault's value and ice time have increased. Tomorrow night would mark his seventh start in 14 games. That's fine with Fleury, who likes to play a lot but understands the demands of a stretch like the Penguins are in now.

"That's a lot of games, five games in seven nights," Fleury said. "I think it's better to have Jocelyn in net in one or two of those games. Then I can have some rest and come back fresh the next game."

There's every reason to believe Thibault will get into a few more games approaching the playoffs. After this five-in-seven stretch, the Penguins have two open dates, then play their final nine games over 17 days.

"It's nice for the team to be playing every second day," Thibault said. "We're starting to get into the playoff mode, myself included."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07077/770449-61.stm
Old 03-18-2007, 04:06 AM   #1444
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins Notebook: Penguins are happy at home
Sunday, March 18, 2007

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins' record at home -- 22-9-5 for 49 points -- puts them in a five-way tie for seventh-best in the NHL going into last night's games.

Look at what they've done at Mellon Arena since the beginning of January, and it gets more impressive.

Going into their game tonight against visiting Ottawa, the Penguins are on a 13-2-1 stretch at home. Five of their last 11 games are at home.

"The last two months and a half, we're pretty solid," coach Michel Therrien said after practice yesterday at Southpointe. "Early in the season, we were kind of fair. Then we really picked it up. It's important if you want to make the playoffs, to play well at home.

"This is something we did talk about, our home record."

Another big game

The game tonight against the Senators could help determine home-ice advantage in the playoffs, which goes to top four teams in the conference. Ottawa went into its game against Philadelphia last night one point behind the fourth-place Penguins in the Eastern Conference.

Last week, playing the top two teams in the Eastern Conference, the Penguins came away with wins against Buffalo and New Jersey. Therrien expects his team to compete just as hard against Ottawa.

"We always seem to raise our game when the challenge is there," he said. "We proved it against Buffalo. We proved it against Jersey."

Shooting for 100

With 11 games and a potential of 22 points left in the regular season, the Penguins have a shot at 100 points just one year after they finished second-to-last overall in the NHL with 58 points.

The Penguins hit 90 points Friday with their 6-3 win against Montreal.

No language barrier

When the Penguins play Montreal or Ottawa, Penguins leading scorer Sidney Crosby pulls some double-shifting off the ice. He does interviews in English and French.

"I think I do all right," said Crosby, a native of English-speaking Nova Scotia who learned French as a second language when he moved to Rimouski, Quebec, to play junior hockey.

"It's just something that I picked up and am able to do, but I'm not really bilingual to a great point."

From the sounds of it Friday when Montreal and its French journalists were in town, Crosby keeps his answers pretty simple. He said he hopes if he makes a faux pas and something goes wrong in translation, people will understand.

"I don't really think about that a whole lot," he said.

Slap shots

Winger Gary Roberts was given the day off from practice, although he worked out off the ice. ... Defenseman Eric Cairns, who has been on injured reserve since Nov. 22 because of post-concussion symptoms, has resumed skating but has not been cleared to join the team at practice.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07077/770450-61.stm
Old 03-18-2007, 04:07 AM   #1445
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Dave Molinari on the Penguins: A weekly look inside the team, the issues, the questions
Sunday, March 18, 2007

Climbing this hill will prove to be well worth the view (for everyone)

Even those who think Peter Tchaikovsky is a shooting guard from Kiev can appreciate the value of having a world-class symphony in this city.

Just as folks whose only experience with air travel came when they rode off a bike ramp as kids should be able to understand why it's important to have a modern airport.

It's all about maintaining, and ideally improving, the overall quality of life in the region, and retaining the assets that make that possible. Do that often enough and perhaps the population drain that's gone on for more than three decades can be slowed, if not stopped.

That's why last week's agreement that will keep the Penguins here for at least three more decades wasn't good news only for hockey fans. Or even people who are partial to truck pulls, hip-hop concerts or skating shows, for that matter.

The multi-purpose facility that will open near Mellon Arena in a few years won't just be Western Pennsylvania's premier entertainment venue; it will serve as high-profile proof that members of the private sector and elected officials can find creative solutions to complex problems, and forge deals that work to the benefit of all concerned.

That's a critical message to convey to the young people who will be the future of this area and who, coincidentally, make up a growing portion of the Penguins' fan base. Having a pro hockey team isn't as important as having a quality job, but it is a significant part of the puzzle for a lot of twenty- and thirty-somethings who might be looking to put down roots.

The Penguins, like the arena in which they will play, are an asset for a region that has lost far too many of them in recent years. The steel industry all but vanished, numerous corporate headquarters relocated and even USAirways, the company for which the aforementioned airport was built, downgraded Pittsburgh from a hub to a "focus city."

(The literal translation of "focus city," by the way, is, "Fly non-stop to anywhere you want, as long as it's Philadelphia.")

That's why the arena deal is a victory for everyone in the city and region, whether they realize it, or not. It doesn't matter if they've been to a hockey game, or ever plan to go to one.

Or even if their interest in sports is confined to wondering whether Tchaikovsky can still make a 3-point jumper.

As Eaton goes, so goes Gonchar

There's still no firm word on when Mark Eaton will be back in the Penguins' lineup.

He has been skating for a while, so it's obvious that his sprained knee is improving, but he hasn't set a target date for being back in uniform.

That's no big deal; it's far more important that Eaton recover completely and get a few games in to regain his edge before the playoffs than it is for him to rush back and risk reinjuring his knee.

Eaton's value probably isn't as great as the Penguins' 19-6-1 record in the 26 complete games in which he has appeared might suggest -- if it is, he's a candidate to receive the highest salary allowed by the league's labor agreement in his next contract -- but the success they've had with him in the lineup isn't entirely coincidental, either.

And it's not a fluke or quirk that Sergei Gonchar has played most of his best hockey this season when he has had Eaton for a partner, which is why it's imperative that they be reunited for the playoffs.

That pairing was broken up during the Penguins' 5-1 loss in Tampa Feb. 25, a reasonable reaction to a pretty miserable showing by both players. Then again, if that game against the Lightning had been used as the sole criterion for making major decisions about the franchise, it probably would have been disbanded the next day.

And the Tampa Bay game aside, Eaton has consistently helped to bring out the best in Gonchar, who can be among the NHL's better defensemen when he's on top of his game.

The Penguins will enter the playoffs fully expecting Eaton to give them solid defense and quality penalty killing every time he plays. Gonchar's performance, meanwhile, will be one of the key variables that will go a long way toward determining how long their run lasts.

Gonchar has the talent to be a true difference-maker. Playing him with Eaton gives him the best chance to prove it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07077/770384-61.stm
Old 03-18-2007, 04:08 AM   #1446
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Smizik: Like former owner, Penguins can finally move on
Sunday, March 18, 2007

By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The final page of the Penguins' eight-year nightmare was turned last week and the team and its fans finally can look to the future with hope instead of grave concern. With agreement on construction of a new arena and the 30-year lease that comes with it, the team's prospects on and off the ice are excellent.

It was a long and despairing slog that began with bankruptcy in 1998 and proceeded through a serious shortage of funding, a season-long work stoppage, four consecutive last-place finishes and horrific personnel decisions, often, but not always, forced by financial reasons.

The person most responsible for this eight-year long misadventure has understandably become, beyond doubt, the most reviled man in the history of the franchise. No player, coach, general manager or other owner stands close to Howard Baldwin in the Penguins hall of infamy. His reckless overspending propelled the team to bankruptcy court, which led to the plethora of other tribulations.

Baldwin was on the phone the other day, recalling what went wrong with the Penguins and talking about what he's doing today. He hasn't exactly gone underground. His unsound and unsafe business practices with the Penguins did not make him a pariah in other fields.

Baldwin dabbled in "B" movies in his days with the Penguins. Who can forget "Sudden Death," with Jean-Claude Van Damme, which was partly filmed at Mellon Arena and included some members of the Penguins? He's gone well beyond that. He has achieved a level of success and respect in the film industry that he never approached in hockey.

It's hard to imagine another person who can put this on their resume: owner of Stanley Cup champion; Oscar nominee.

Baldwin was one of the producers of "Ray," the story of Ray Charles, that was nominated for the best picture Oscar in 2004. If Ray had won, -- "Million Dollar Baby" did -- and it had a chance, Baldwin would have been on stage delivering the acceptance speech.

His latest projects show just how far he has come. He's involved with a movie about Jackie Robinson in which Robert Redford will play Branch Rickey; He's making "Atlas Shrugged," the Ayn Rand classic, into a movie that will star Angelina Jolie; he has Keira Knightley ("Pride & Prejudice" and "Pirates of the Caribbean") starring in "1:30 Train."

Baldwin is a major Hollywood player. He's busy with his movie projects but keeps an eye on the Penguins and was pleased the team's troubles had a happy ending. As always, he was courteous and classy.

"I'm thrilled the team is staying. The fans support always has been great."

It bothers Baldwin that his tenure is remembered with such disgust. "I am proud of what I did there," he said. "We were in an economic environment that I couldn't afford. I'm not a big money guy."

Baldwin, though, did not allow that to stop him from paying high salaries and placing the Penguins at or near the top of team payrolls in the NHL. To cover payroll he wheeled and dealed -- spinning off one revenue stream after another to cover his expenditures. Not unexpectedly, such financial maneuverings caught up with him.

At one point, Baldwin had Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr both under more than $40 million contracts, when, in truth, he could barely afford one such deal.

"In hindsight, one of the dilemmas we had was the unpredictability of whether Mario would play from year to year. We knew we couldn't afford both Mario and Jagr. But how do you, with Mario maybe not playing, not sign Jagr? We were kind of trapped and we ended up signing both."

Baldwin wasn't just a poor businessman, he was too nice a guy. He hated to displease anyone, least of all his superstars. It was a time when tough decisions had to be made and Baldwin couldn't make them.

But let's not be so quick to denigrate Baldwin. He is easily the most successful owner in Penguins history. His teams made the playoffs and had a winning season every year of his tenure -- 1991-98. The team's ownership history is so convoluted that it's hard to tell, but it's possible he is the only owner with an overall winning record.

No one, not the media, not the fans, complained when Baldwin was signing all those future Hall of Famers and All-Stars. We loved it when year after year the Penguins were a leading contender to win the Stanley Cup. The 1992-93 team, the two-time defending Stanley Cup champions which lost in a stunning upset to the New York Islanders in the playoffs, had a franchise-best 56-21-7 record and was poised to deliver a third title. Baldwin's team made it to the conference finals a third time in 1996 before losing to Florida.

It was a fun run, one in which an almost laughable franchise turned into one of the best in the NHL.

"I felt my position was misunderstood," Baldwin said. "It's long behind me. You get on with your life."

Baldwin has done just that. And, at long last, so have the Penguins.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07077/770515-194.stm
Old 03-18-2007, 04:09 AM   #1447
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins' Christensen boosts production

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, March 18, 2007

With three goals in his past two games and five in his previous seven, second-year center Erik Christensen is seemingly catching fire at the right time for the Penguins.

Prior to this stretch, he had averaged just 2.35 shots per game. However, over the previous two games, in which he has recorded three or more shots, Christensen has posted two-goal games.

"'Get it and shoot it whenever you can!' I hear that all the time," Christensen said. "In minor hockey, you're trying to be accurate all the time. But last year, I got some great advice from Joey Mullen. He said, 'It's not always how accurate your shot is but how quick it is.' And he's right. If you just put it on net, you never know what can happen. I probably need to do that a little more."

Mullen scored 502 goals in the NHL, and such a total was reason enough for Christensen to seriously listen.

"You're going to take advice from somebody like him," Christensen said. "It's not like anybody can argue with what he accomplished."

Christensen, with one of the quicker releases in the league, credits his recent strong play to thinking less when he's on the ice.

"There's definitely times when you overthink and grip your stick too tight, and I've definitely gone through that," Christensen said. "If you're trying to accomplish too much, you won't have as much success as you can. For me, it's just doing the simple things: Get it, shoot it, and do what I can."

Behind the numbers

Only five teams in franchise history have amassed more regular-season points than the Penguins' 90 this season. Of course, not one of those teams went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Then again, in terms of regular-season success, these Penguins actually closely resemble the Cup-winning clubs.

The Penguins earned 88 points in 1990-91 and 87 in 1991-92. Both of those totals were achieved over the course of an 80-game regular season.

These Penguins will play 82 games. They have also earned 13 points not available to the Cup-winning clubs due to teams earning a point for overtime losses and shootout victories under the current league rules.

By adjusting the Penguins' point total to exclude points received from overtime losses and half the total of shootout victories, this team would be on pace to earn 89 points under the old league format.

Instead, under the current system, they are on pace to record 104 points, a total that would be the second most in franchise history, behind the 119 earned by the President's Trophy-winning Penguins of 1992-93.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_498316.html
Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 AM   #1448
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Scouting the Senators

By The Tribune-Review
Sunday, March 18, 2007

Today's game

Ottawa Senators (42-23-7, 91 points) at Penguins (34-26-10, 90 points)

When, where: 7:30 p.m. -- Mellon Arena

TV/radio: FSN Pittsburgh/WXDX-FM (105.9)

Probable goaltenders: Penguins: Marc-Andre Fleury (34-14-8, 2.92 GAA); Senators: Ray Emery (29-14-4, 2.49 GAA)

Notable: The Penguins have split two games against the Senators this season. They lost, 6-3, on Nov. 10 at Mellon Arena and won in a shootout, 5-4, on March 6 in Ottawa. The Penguins have won just twice at home against the Senators since the 2001-02 season. The teams meet again in Ottawa on April 6 -- the Penguins' penultimate game of the regular season. ... Center Sidney Crosby has recorded just an assist and is a minus-3 against Ottawa this season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_498317.html
Old 03-18-2007, 04:15 AM   #1449
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins battling for fourth playoff spot

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, March 18, 2007

Over their previous 21 playoff appearances, the Penguins have held home-ice advantage for 19 series. They have made successful use of it 12 times.

In other words, Mellon Arena to the Penguins has not exactly resembled the old Montreal Forum to the Canadiens. In fact, the Penguins have won just two of six decisive Game 7s played on their home ice.

Despite that lack of home dominance in the playoffs, there is no place the Penguins would rather begin the upcoming Stanley Cup playoffs -- but not necessarily because they have won 10 of their past 12 games at Mellon Arena.

"Obviously, we have played well at home," defenseman Sergei Gonchar said of the Penguins, whose 22 home victories rank third in the Eastern Conference. "But in the playoffs, every little thing is important. When you are at home, the routine is more comfortable."

For Gonchar, sleeping at home as opposed to a hotel counts a lot at this point in a long hockey season.

Also, for every Gonchar, Mark Recchi and Gary Roberts -- veterans with proven playoff pedigrees -- there are Ryan Whitney, Jordan Staal and Sidney Crosby, to name a few key components, who have never skated in a pressure-packed postseason environment.

Before the first puck drops in the playoffs, the media scrutiny will intensify. A faceless mass of reporters rarely seen by the Penguins' young core of Crosby, Staal, Whitney, Evgeni Malkin and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury will turn locker room space into a prized commodity.

"It's different, that's for sure," Recchi said. "But our guys have been getting a lot of attention all year. The kind that comes with the playoffs won't faze them."

Perhaps not, but as Gonchar said, "You never know how you're going to handle the pressure until you experience it for yourself."

To that end, the Penguins have turned their focus from merely qualifying for the playoffs to at least securing home-ice for the first round -- if not longer, pending whether they can catch Atlantic Division-leading New Jersey.

A win at Mellon Arena tonight against the Ottawa Senators, who also are contending for fourth place in the conference, would make the home-ice advantage the Penguins' to lose with 10 games left.

"It would definitely help," Crosby said of the home-ice possibility. "You want to start off well in any playoff series, obviously, and being at home would help. We really feed off our crowd and play with a lot of energy at home.

"Usually when teams are on the road, they simplify things more. When we're at home, we kind of open it up. And we've had success doing that. I'm sure other teams have noticed."

The Penguins have averaged 3.39 goals-per-game at Mellon Arena. However, the statistic that truly speaks to the advantage that home-ice has provided them is goal-differential: At Mellon Arena, the Penguins' are a plus-1.28; the league average is plus-1.11.

"The way we've played at home ... it'd be a plus to start there," Recchi said. "But the bottom line is that you're probably going to have to win on the road at some point if you're going to win the series.

"If we don't get the home ice, we still feel as though we can win. But we're definitely looking at it, because it would certainly help."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_498315.html
Old 03-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #1450
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Tied at 1.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Closed Thread