Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:29 AM   #1601
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Wow---the bitterness in that Caps message board was amazing! thanks for posting Edman.

Go Pens---get sole possession of the Atlantic division tonight!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #1602
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Penguins' Recchi roughs out dry spell

By Karen Price
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 29, 2007

BOSTON - Penguins winger Mark Recchi capped 15 years between winning Stanley Cups -- the second-longest span in NHL history -- when he won with the Carolina Hurricanes last season.

He earned his first Cup, of course, with the Penguins in 1991.

Recchi's gap between goals may be starting to feel almost as long, especially for one of the NHL's top active points (1,329) and goals (506) leaders and the third-leading scorer on the Penguins.

Recchi has gone 18 games without a goal, tying his second-longest goal drought and one short of his career high of 19 games without a goal from Jan. 29 to March 27, 2002, with the Philadelphia Flyers.

It's a stretch Recchi can break tonight when the Penguins meet the Boston Bruins.

Going so long without a goal isn't fun, Recchi admits, especially with the playoffs so close.

At the same time, he said, he's getting chances to score, and if that keeps happening, he knows one will eventually go in.

"Obviously, I want to be part of it, and I want to help, and part of that is scoring goals, and I know that," Recchi, 39, said. "But I know eventually if I keep doing the right things, they'll start going in. I think the biggest thing for me is to keep competing and doing the things that are going to help the team be successful. Everybody goes through this at some point in their career."

Recchi's last big night on the scoresheet was a two-goal, three-assist performance Feb. 19 against the New York Islanders. Since then, he is pointless in 15-of-18 games, with four assists to show for his work.

With the entire team struggling to score goals last week, coach Michel Therrien changed his forward lines. He separated Recchi from Sidney Crosby's line for the first time since before the All-Star break. Recchi (22 goals, 42 assists in 77 games) and Ryan Malone, also a fixture on Crosby's line for some time, played alongside Jordan Staal, who moved back to center. Crosby was flanked by Erik Christensen and Colby Armstrong.

Most notably, however, was Recchi's absence on the top power-play unit Sunday against the Bruins.

The Penguins put Gary Roberts on the unit with Crosby, Malkin, Sergei Gonchar and Ryan Whitney.

The change worked. In the past two games, the Penguins have scored six power-play goals on 11 chances after going 2 for 25 over the previous six games. The top unit has accounted for five of those goals.

Therrien said he isn't worried about Recchi's getting back on track offensively, and he praised his defense and the work he's done to keep pucks out of his own net.

"He's a true leader," Therrien said. "He knows what it takes to win, especially at this time of year. We're counting on our leaders to show the way to the young players how to play and to stick to the system and all of those little things that are important at this time of year.

"He puts his ego aside for the team. He doesn't take high-risk plays to make sure he's going to score. He sticks to the system and sticks to the plan, and you have to give a lot of credit for that."

One of Recchi's best chances lately to score occurred Sunday, when he missed a wide-open net in the second period.

"I don't like going through this, but it's part of it," Recchi said. "I've hit three or four posts, I've missed wide-open nets, I missed an empty netter ... it's not like it hasn't been there. But I know the coaching staff hasn't lost faith in me, and I know my teammates haven't lost faith in me.

"I'm just going to keep working for them, and that's all that really matters to me. I know eventually things will go in."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_500071.html
Old 03-29-2007, 08:59 AM   #1603
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

FSN to show most Pens' first-round games

By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, March 29, 2007

Fans will not have to channel-surf to find the Penguins' opening-round playoff games next month.

Though the playoff television schedule will not be released until April 8, most of the Penguins' Eastern Conference quarterfinal games will air on FSN Pittsburgh.

NBC holds the exclusive right to show a maximum of two Penguins opening-round games on the weekends of April 14-15 and, if the best-of-7 series goes beyond five games, April 21-22. All remaining games will be broadcast locally on FSN Pittsburgh.

VERSUS, the NHL's national cable partner, has no exclusive option to air the Penguins' opening-round games.

If the Penguins advance to the Eastern Conference semifinals, NBC again will hold exclusive rights to air potentially two weekend games. VERSUS then would have exclusive rights to show up to two non-weekend games. FSN Pittsburgh would air all non-exclusive games.

NBC and VERSUS will have exclusive rights to air the conference finals and the Stanley Cup finals.

VERSUS can be found locally on Comcast (channel 17 or 60), Armstrong Cable (channel 485), DirecTV (channel 608) and Dish Network (channel 151).

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_500051.html
Old 03-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #1604
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Pesky Talbot fulfills wish, savors life in NHL

Thursday, March 29, 2007
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BOSTON -- The Penguins have three centers who were chosen first or second overall in the NHL entry draft.

And one who went 234th.

Three who entered the league with impeccable pedigrees, and seemed destined for stardom in this league almost from conception.

And one whose grade-school classmates openly ridiculed the idea that he might play hockey for a living someday.

Three who will get a lot of support when voting for the league's major trophies is conducted in a couple of weeks.

And one who might never contend for any award except the one given to his team's unsung hero.

Striking as the differences between them are, however, Maxime Talbot clearly doesn't begrudge teammates Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal the acclaim they have earned or the success they have enjoyed.

Mostly because he's too busy savoring the opportunity to live his dream of playing in the NHL.

"Even now, sometimes it's hard for me to believe that I made it," he said.

There are a lot of people, many of them scouts, who understand that feeling. Talbot was a smallish late-bloomer when he was part of the 2002 draft class, a combination that didn't prompt anyone to project him as the capable checking-line forward he has become.

"He's gone against the odds," Penguins coach Michel Therrien said. "He's a small guy playing a defensive role. He's not the type of player you look at for that [role]. Usually, they're big, they're strong.

"He's a gamer. He's a guy who works so hard. That's the reason he's in the NHL, because of his work ethic and his courage."

Talbot is 5 feet 11, 190 pounds, so he doesn't overpower many opponents. He can out-think and outwork them, though. And annoy them quite a bit in the process.

"I can be scrappy," he said. "I can distract people. I like to bring that to my game, so it's hard to play against me."

Crosby played against Talbot in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and allows that it would not be incorrect to suggest that Talbot was "a little bit dirty" in those days.

"He was pretty chippy," Crosby said. "He played hard. He's a guy you hated to play against, but you want on your team."

Especially if you need someone willing to do the dirty work, like killing penalties. Talbot has filled that role effectively, joining Colby Armstrong on one of the two pairs of forwards Therrien routinely deploys when the Penguins are down a man.

Talbot has scored four short-handed goals, tying him for the third-most in the NHL, and has generated decent numbers -- he enters the Penguins' game against Boston at the TD Banknorth Garden at 7:08 tonight with 11 goals and 11 assists in 70 games -- for someone whose job description says very little about offense.

While his ability to put up points is not what got him to this league, it won't hurt the chances of him hanging around for the next decade or so.

"I think I can score 20," Talbot said.

That won't get him into contention for an Art Ross Trophy, but would be a pretty fair achievement for a guy who scored more than 25 goals only once during four seasons in the QMJHL.

Then again, the kids he grew up with in Montreal probably can't believe he made it to that league, let alone onto Canada's world junior squad or an NHL roster.

"In sixth grade, when my teacher was asking what I wanted to do later, I was always saying, 'Play hockey,' " Talbot said. "Everyone was laughing at me, but that's all I wanted to do."

And now, he's doing it. And doing it very well.

That would explain the ever-present, 50-megawatt grin. The one that no elbow or high stick can knock off his face for more than a few seconds.

"I always have a big smile on my face because I feel fortunate and happy," Talbot said. "It's all I ever wanted to do and, when you do it, you're like, 'Wow, this is the best job you could have in the world,' because I love what I do."

Scouting Report

Matchup: Penguins at Boston Bruins, 7:08 p.m. today, TD Banknorth Garden.

TV, radio: FSN Pittsburgh, WXDX-FM (105.9).

Probable goaltenders: Marc-Andre Fleury for Penguins. Joey MacDonald for Bruins.

Penguins: Have dropped five consecutive games in Boston, including 5-4 shootout loss Jan. 18. ... LW Ryan Malone has six goals in 10 career games against Bruins. ... Power play has scored six times in past two games after going 0 for 15 in previous three.

Bruins: Have earned at least one point in 10 of past 11 games against Penguins. ... D Zdeno Chara has plus-minus rating of minus-6 in past seven games. ... Are being outscored, 151-115, while playing 5-on-5.

Hidden stat: Penguins are 28-6-4 when D Sergei Gonchar gets at least a point.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07088/773478-61.stm
Old 03-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #1605
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

2 things:

1. I remember that hit by Malkin that knocked Kobasew on his ass on Sunday - Malkin got called for roughing, which was a completely bogus call, because all he did was put his shoulder into Kobasew after he saw him coming. It's only fitting that he got hurt as a result.

2. I didn't even think the Pens had clinched at least 5th in the conference on Tuesday, but it's cool that they did.

Penguins Notebook: Roberts (sore knee) likely scratch

Thursday, March 29, 2007

BOSTON -- Sidney Crosby says he didn't think he could shoot the puck hard enough to hurt someone.

Gary Roberts can testify to the contrary.

Roberts took a Crosby shot on the right knee during the second period of the Penguins' 4-3 victory in Washington Tuesday and has a bone bruise and severe swelling to prove it.

Because of his injuries, Roberts did not go on the ice for the Penguins' practice at Conte Forum on the campus of Boston College and has been all but officially ruled out of their game against Boston at 7:08 tonight at the TD Banknorth Garden.

"Obviously, if I can't skate, I can't play," he said.

Ronald Petrovicky appears to be the front-runner to take Roberts' spot in the lineup, although assistant coach Andre Savard said Nils Ekman also is a possibility.

The Penguins were on a power play with Roberts in his customary spot near the opposing team's net when Crosby's shot hit him.

"You don't like to hurt your own player," Crosby said. "But he's in that area, and I guess sometimes that's what happens."

Savard suggested that Roberts could play when the Penguins visit Toronto Saturday, although it's safe to assume no one will be looking to rush him back into the lineup.

"I don't want to risk getting hit there or having further damage," Roberts said. "I have to make sure it's close to 100 percent before I play, and hope that's only a couple of days away."

Extra motivation

The Penguins' primary incentive for wanting to win tonight -- to improve their standing in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference playoff races -- is obvious, but beating the Bruins would accomplish something else: It would give them 100 points for the fourth time.

While they can't match the team record of 119 set by the group that won the Presidents' Trophy in 1992-93, they still could surpass the total of 101 earned the following season or the 102 picked up by the 1995-96 squad that reached the Eastern Conference final.

Fond memories

Practice was a homecoming of sorts for defensemen Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi, both of whom played at Boston College.

"There certainly are fond memories of the good times, and all the good teams we had," Scuderi said.

The best, he said, probably came in the wake of the Golden Eagles' national championship in 2001.

"We all had to get up the next morning and take a team picture," he said. "Everyone wasn't exactly in the best [condition], to put it lightly. It was kind of funny, trying to get that picture together."

Aftershocks

Boston's 5-0 loss at Mellon Arena Sunday was one of the low points of the Bruins' season, a point coach Dave Lewis reinforced with a 45-minute workout that included lots of skating -- and no pucks -- in Ottawa the next day.

"The effort has not been there consistently," he told The Boston Globe. "It's my job to get that out of them. One way or another, they're going to work."

The Bruins' punishment did not end when they left the ice. After the workout, Lewis and his assistants returned to the team hotel, while the team stayed behind at Ottawa's practice rink to sit through the tape of the loss to the Penguins.

"They can figure it out on their own," Lewis told The Boston Herald. "And that's what I want. I want them and the leadership group to watch and evaluate. They've heard us critique video. Now it's time for the group to do it because they're the ones who play, and one thing about video, you can't hide."

The next night, the Bruins had no reason to hide because they stunned the Senators -- who had lost just once in regulation during their previous 21 games -- at Scotiabank Place, 3-2, allowing the Penguins to pull even with Ottawa for fourth place in the East.

Slap shots

The Penguins didn't just clinch a playoff berth Tuesday. Their victory in Washington, combined with various other results involving Eastern teams, assured they will finish no lower than fifth in the conference. ... Bruins forward Chuck Kobasew sat out the Ottawa game because of post-concussion syndrome, the result of a hit by Penguins center Evgeni Malkin in the first period Sunday. He is not expected to play tonight.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07088/773477-61.stm
Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #1606
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
Wow---the bitterness in that Caps message board was amazing! thanks for posting Edman.

Go Pens---get sole possession of the Atlantic division tonight!
I don't really care what Caps fans think, nor do I care about the Caps in general. They've been bitter and jealous of the Pens ever since the early 90s and I'm certain it's worse now because of the media-manufactured Crosby vs. Ovechkin "rivalry" (which Crosby leads 7-1, btw). They've been our whipping boys for years, just like the Bungles have been to the Steelers, and you see what's happened there with their fans. Screw 'em - their team sucks, and they'll just have to get used to it.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #1607
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Were Craps always this bitter about our Pens?
Well we have booted them out of the playoffs five times since 90-91. To make it worse for Cap fans, it's the fashion in which we booted them. In 91-92 they had a 3-1 series lead over us and we came back, forced a 7th game and won it. The same occured in the 94-95 season. They jumped out to a 3-1 series lead and blew it.

It's safe to say Capital fans hate us.

With Ovechkin and Semin they have a bright future if they can get all the pieces together.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #1608
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

So much for Petrovicky getting the nod tonight. Ekman better step up his game tonight. If not I'm sure somebody will find an excuse for his lack of scoring production while playing on a line with the best player in hockey earlier in the season. I'll leave it up to Bob Pompeani or Mike Lange.

Ekman to start tonight for Penguins
Thursday, March 29, 2007

BOSTON -- Nils Ekman will replace Gary Roberts in the Penguins' lineup for their game against Boston tonight at 7:08 at the TD Banknorth Garden.

Roberts is being held out of tonight's game because of a bruised right knee he received when he was struck by a Sidney Crosby shot during the Penguins' 4-3 victory in Washington Tuesday.

Coach Michel Therrien said after the morning skate, during which Roberts went on the ice for the first time since being hurt, that there's "a good possibility" Roberts will play when the Penguins visit Toronto Saturday night.

Therrien said he chose Ekman to replace Roberts because "we want to give Nils a chance. ... We like Nils' attitude, and you have to reward attitude about work ethic and being prepared and not feeling sorry that he's not in the lineup. He's been a good teammate."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07088/773539-100.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-29-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #1609
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Wow, is this a shootout or what?

Pens - 3
Bruins - 2

1st p
Old 03-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #1610
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Evgeni Malkin makes it 4-2 Pens - WOO HOO!!!!!!

The Anti-Wahoo
Closed Thread