Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:40 AM   #191
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
They played together during camp and looked good...according to the team. But I'd much rather see Staal on that line - time to give the kid a shot with the big boys. I think he's earned it.
I was at least hoping they would put somebody on the line with him that at least has some speed and who is actually playing good hockey at this point in time. Ekman or Staal would have been my choices. Oh well. Hopefully that line will be broken up in the near future. I'm still curious to see what this team will do when Cairns and Petrovicky come back. If they decide to send Staal down to the fourth line I hope they just send the kid down to juniors because putting him on the 4th line would be pointless.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #192
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalke View Post
One of my favorites was big #33, Jim McKenzie. I don't know why exactly, but I LOVED watching that dude play.

uh-oh...feeling the urge to pull out all the old hockey fight tapes. must...resist...urge...to...transfer...all...vhs.. .fight...tapes...to...dvd....
I still remember the Marty McSorley and Bob Probert fight. One of the better fights in the Igloo.

One guy beat a guy over the head with a hockey stick and the other was arrested for bringing powder over the Canadian/US border while having an alcohol problem. When those two powers meet, the result was that fight. A classic.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 10-18-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #193
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Good write-up on Malkin and his debut tonight at Mellon Arena.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...SECTION=SPORTS

Recchi compares rookie Malkin to Lemieux

By ALAN ROBINSON
AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Mark Recchi dares to mention Evgeni Malkin in the same sentence as the one player in Pittsburgh Penguins history to whom almost no one is ever compared. Yes, No. 66.

Malkin won't play his first shift, take his first shot, make his first pass until the Penguins face the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday. That didn't prevent Recchi and Sidney Crosby from bringing up the same name - Mario Lemieux - when they were asked how good the 20-year-old Russian center is.

"He's really good. He's going to be scary good," Recchi said Tuesday. "I hate to bring up this comparison, but I don't think we've seen anybody with his size who can skate like him and do as much as him. He's as close to Mario as we're going to see for a long time."

Recchi wasn't suggesting the 6-foot-4 Malkin will threaten to score 200 points in a season or average nearly 2 points per game for his career as Lemieux did before retiring in January for the second time.

Rather, it is how Malkin plays the game that, to Recchi, makes him resemble Lemieux. The uncanny ability to see a play develop before it occurs. To put a pass directly onto a stick through heavy traffic. To improvise and create a goal when there seems to be no possibility of doing so.

"Obviously, some people have tried to pass that torch along to other people, but the way he skates and sees the ice, he's the whole package," Recchi said.

Maybe a slightly taller version of Crosby, who had 102 points in his rookie year at age 18 last season?

"He's going to surprise people with how good he is," forward Colby Armstrong said. "He's got confidence with the puck, he's a smooth skater, he makes things happen with the puck, he can score. It seems like he scores every time he shoots on net (in practice)."

Malkin's NHL debut was delayed nearly a month by a dislocated left shoulder that occurred when he and teammate John LeClair collided behind the net during a Sept. 20 exhibition game. Malkin's recovery time was slightly faster than expected, and the Penguins have gone 2-2 without him.

They expect to be better now that he is playing, though there will be some nervousness on their part until Malkin shows he can take hits on his left shoulder without reinjuring it.

"My arm is in good shape, so everything is good. I just want to play hockey," said Malkin, speaking through an interpreter, defenseman Sergei Gonchar.

For now, Malkin will center the No. 2 line with Ryan Malone at left wing and Recchi on his right.

Crosby and Malkin likely will play together on the power play, where the Penguins are 12th in the NHL with a 19.2 percent conversion rate.

"I'm thinking selfishly, but I can't wait to play with him," Crosby said. "When you get a chance to play with someone like that, it's like it was with Mario - you don't know what's going to happen, but you know you're going to create something. With a creative mind like that, you don't know what to expect and it makes for an element of surprise."

Malkin was the No. 2 pick in the 2004 draft, one spot behind fellow Russian star Alexander Ovechkin. Malkin played last season for Magnitogorsk of the Russian Super League, but sneaked away from that team in August and made his way to the United States so he could play in the NHL.

Gonchar, who played with Ovechkin and Malkin on Russia's Olympic team last winter, said it is difficult to compare the two because their games are dissimilar. Ovechkin was the rookie of the year last season with 106 points for Washington.

"My personal feeling is Ovechkin is going to be like Pavel Bure, who's going to score a lot of goals and shoot the puck a lot," Gonchar said. "Evgeni, I see him as a Sergei Fedorov who plays well in both ends of the ice and kills penalties. He can do it all. He can score. He can create offense. He'll be there for you in an every-game situation. So it's really hard to say who is better."

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 10-18-2006, 07:54 AM   #194
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

In other hockey news, NJ fans have proven once again why they suck. Between their shitty attendance even when their teams are winning cups and now this.......

Brodeur booed

Martin Brodeur has led New Jersey to three Stanley Cups and, tonight, could become the third goalie in NHL history to record 450 victories. But Thursday, he was booed by the home crowd after allowing five goals during the second period of a 7-6 shootout victory against Toronto.

Brodeur shrugged off the indignity, telling reporters that fans who pay $90 for seats are allowed to boo if they want. His counterparts with the Penguins, however, seemed genuinely taken aback yesterday upon learning how the New Jersey fans had turned on him, even if it was during the worst home period of his career.

"He's done so many great things for that team, that organization," Marc-Andre Fleury said. "He's been there his whole career. He's one of the best goalies in the world. I don't care what happens, [booing him isn't justified]."

"I'm really surprised," Jocelyn Thibault said. "He's one of the best who's ever played. I guess Patrick Roy has been booed -- all those really good players have been booed once in their careers -- so I guess he's no different."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06291/730891-61.stm

And we might lose our hockey team?!?!?!?!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #195
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

A few thoughts and opinions....

The Good:

Fleury. Minus the amount of rebounds he gave up, he played another great game. First period "save" was beautiful.

Malkin. Better than advertised. Not much else to say. Give him somebody to play with.

Eaton. Proving that is the most reliable defenseman on this roster.

More shots on net. Nice to see us shooting the puck. Brodeur is just too damn good. He ultimately won that game for them.

The Bad:

Since when do we play two goaltenders at the same time? Defense needs to pick up a man instead of standing next to Fleury in the crease and playing goalie. Our lack of physical defenseman is not helping this team.

We like to dump the puck, but we don't like to chase. We might as well help the opposing team break out while we are at it.

Between John Madden and Marty Brodeur, Crosby never had a chance last night. Both played an excellent game. Madden always plays us strong. At the same time, our wingers on the first two lines need to step it up. Army and Ekman are not helping out Sid all that much. On two different occasions I saw Sid crack his stick against the boards during a line change. He's frustrated and understandably so. If Crosby is getting blanketed by the oppositions top D Men (which is going to continue to happen), his wingers need to start generating offense themselves and they can't. It's either Crosby or nothing on that 1st line.

As expected (for me at least), Malone and Recchi looked horrible. Nothing new or surprising. I'll take Stone, Staal or Talbot on the first or second line. It's better than watching Malone and Recchi.

Letang. Still young, but that first goal was all on him. I would not be surprised to see him sent down to juniors. He still has much to learn and in time I think he will turn out to be a pretty solid defenseman.

The Refs. I normally don't jump on the refs, but this game was a little shaky when it came to the officials.

LeClair. Minus him parking his butt in front of the net on the PP, he's becoming a liability. It's painful to watch him skate.

Here's to hoping we will turn it around against the Isles tonight.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #196
HometownGal
Living Legend

I agree with most of your comments, 83, but I felt Gonch also had a pretty good game overall. He has never been pegged as a physical defenseman - he is more of a positional D-man, though several times last night, I did see him taking a Devil into the boards. He has been pretty consistent in his play, imho, and I like his pairing with Eaton. What I don't understand, though, is why the hell Melichar is still here??? On the Devils' second goal, he was standing right beside Fleury like a statue instead of playing his man (who scored the goal). The Pens' penalty kill was damned good - something we aren't used to. Brodeur was just outstanding last night and the officiating sucked. The holding and interference calls they overlooked on the Devils was pathetic.

It was great being there to see Malkin get his first NHL goal! Congrats Evegni!

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 10-20-2006, 12:18 AM   #197
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

And for an encore performance, Malkin gets his second goal tonight that tied the game at 3! The things this kid can do with the puck is amazing for a guy his size, and he can create so much room out there for himself. And he obviously has very soft, very fast hands - only a few players could have put that puck in. When he starts feeling more comfortable out there and gets in his groove, he's going to start filling the net and become a fixture on the highlight shows.

I saw some very encouraging things tonight out there. First of all, they showed a lot of moxie to come from behind to win this game after giving up 3 goals in less than 2 minutes at the end of the second period - I don't believe they won a game last season when down after 2 periods. They would have either self-destructed and given the game away in the 3rd or found a way to lose in OT/shootout if it ever got there. Their PK really came up huge in the third when the game was on the line, a FAR cry from the past 2 seasons. Other than the Ranger game and the 2 PPG allowed tonight, this unit has been really solid thus far. It was nice to see Ekman and Gonchar finally get goals, and Gonchar couldn't have picked a better time for his first goal of the season. They also got over 30 shots for the second straight night - 36 SOG tonight after getting 38 last night - very nice. And once again, Fleury was solid in between the pipes. But they still need to sure up their defense - the Islanders were getting way too much room to skate through the neutral zone tonight. 37 more shots allowed tonight - at this rate, Fleury is going to be worn out before the end of the year. Of course, staying out of the penalty box would go a long way toward getting the shots down. And as much as I love Sid, he needs to stop embellishing every time he gets touched. He already has the reputation around the league as being a diver, and that does nothing to help him. Eventually the refs are going to start putting away the whistle and he won't get nearly as many calls. All in all, it was a nice win and we've moved ahead of the Rangers into second place in the division.

Next up, Columbus at home Saturday night. Would be nice to snap our 3-game home losing streak! Also, expect Thibault to get his first start of the season to give Fleury some well-deserved rest.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 10-20-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:38 AM   #198
HometownGal
Living Legend

Twas quite a good game! I agree, XT - the defense needs to step it up a bit and stop allowing opponents to have a free skate in the neutral zone. I continue to be very impressed with the PK. Recchi played his ass off last night and I like him on the line with Malkin - some good vet leadership and he can still shoot that puck. What else can be said about Malkin - he's awesome! It is difficult to see on TV exactly how well this kid performs - I focus on him when he is out on the ice at the arena and am just awed how fast and skilled he is with the puck. In fairness to Sid - he had his neck twisted several times last night and didn't go off like he did last season which is a good thing. He seems to have matured some and is keeping his composure. Fleury was, yet again, stellar in goal even though the Isles scored 3. And of course, my guy - Gonch - scored the game winner! 'Grats Pens on a well deserved win!

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 10-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #199
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Minus our lapse in the second period, I thought we played a good game overall.

The Great:

Crosby. Sid was on a mission from God last night. From the drop of the puck until Gonchar’s OT goal he was on fire.

Malkin. He played a great game once again. Goal, assist and a screen.

The Good:

Fleury. A few lucky bounces the Isles way, but played a good game (3rd period in particular).

Therrien. For making the decision to play Fleury. I was expecting Thibault to start last night. Thankfully Therrien made the right decision and went with the hot hand.

Gonchar. Nice to see him find the back of the net. Played a solid game overall. Hopefully he can keep it up for a full season and not fall back on his last season showing. Still would like to see better decision making on his part.

Malone. On the PK he looked like he actually wanted to play hockey for the first time this season. Good hustle. Now if he can only find the back of the net.

So/So:

LeClair. Hustled his butt off last night. Good forecheck.

Staal. Great on the PK. Good hustle.

Ouellet. Knows his role and is playing it very well. Is not afraid to take a beating in front of the net. It’s worth noting that 67% of his goals in the minors were on the PP.

Ekman. Nice to see him net one. Need more of that from him.

Recchi. See Malone minus the PK. Was actually noticable for the first time this season.

The Bad:

The defense in general during the second period. Had problems clearing the crease and picking up a man around the net. I’m still not comfortable with the way this defense plays. Ryan Whitney in particular played a pretty bad game.

Ted Nolan for making idiotic post game comments. Sour grapes.....

"I think for a world class player, for a guy of his caliber, he's diving every time someone touches him," Islanders coach Ted Nolan said. "No question in my mind, he should have been called for a slash before Yashin had a chance to hook him.

"I'm not saying Yashin's wasn't a penalty, I'm just saying there should have been a penalty before. If Yashin maybe acted like Crosby and dove, maybe he would have gotten that call."

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...062007&gtype=2

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 10-20-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #200
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Nolan obviously went to the Mike Holmgren school of sour grapes. I read that last night and thought the same thing - what an idiot. No wonder he couldn't get another NHL coaching job until this year.

Also, Ouellet needs to be on the top PP unit to have that right-handed shot on the left side. He'd easily net 15-20 PPG with Crosby and Malkin feeding him pucks all season.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 10-20-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Closed Thread