Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #2101
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

I missed the game! AGGH!

I am so sorry Penguins and everybody else for missing them when it mattered. I am completely ashamed.

Great, Exciting win today for our young Penguns. They did more than just win, they have matured and gained a lot of experience. On the road in the playoffs in front of a hostile Canadian Crowd, down 3-1, and they storm back and win. Totally awesome.

Mellon Arena is going to be awesome tomorrow. A chance to go up 2-1.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:54 PM   #2102
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Great game! I though Fleury looked stellar at certain points of the game--certainly at the end when it was really important.

How about Jordan Staal and Gary Roberts? Good decisions were made to keep one up and acquire the other by the FO.

And Crosby---he still amazes me every night----he was giving some good hits tonight.

I thought Malkin played better too.

LOVED IT. Go Pens!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #2103
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
Great game! I though Fleury looked stellar at certain points of the game--certainly at the end when it was really important.

How about Jordan Staal and Gary Roberts? Good decisions were made to keep one up and acquire the other by the FO.

And Crosby---he still amazes me every night----he was giving some good hits tonight.

I thought Malkin played better too.

LOVED IT. Go Pens!
Fleury has been good in both games, really - he kept the game from being 6-0 in the first period on Wednesday. But today, I agree - he played very well and that save at the end on Fisher was a 10-beller if there ever was one.

Jordan Staal to me looks unfazed by the playoff atmosphere. He goes out and plays his game, and as usual, plays it well.

Sid was outstanding as well, and though he'd never say it in public, his game and that goal had to be sweet satisfaction for him - silencing the crowd and his critics for one game, anyway.

The Pens need to find some way to keep Roberts on the team next season. Fly his daughter and fiancee in or give him his own private jet to go back and forth to Toronto...I don't care. Just sign him!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #2104
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I was listening to the game on the radio until I got home to see the last 5:00 minutes. My poor heart can take only so much ...... I swear my eyes saw the puck get past Fleury a couple of times in the last minute.

Great Game

Go Pens, take over the series tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #2105
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07104/778161-100.stm

Penguins win Game 2 vs. Senators, 4-3

Saturday, April 14, 2007
The Associated Press

OTTAWA -- Sidney Crosby will have better memories of his second playoff goal than his first.

Crosby scored his second in two playoff games 11:44 into the third period to lift the Penguins to a 4-3 win against the Ottawa Senators today, evening their first-round series at one win apiece.

Crosby, who scored a late power-play goal in Wednesday's series-opening 6-3 loss, scored the Penguins third goal of the third period at 11:44. The Penguins tied it twice in the final frame before the 19-year-old NHL scoring champion gave them their second and final lead.

The league's youngest Art Ross Trophy winner drove the net and planted his stick on the ice to redirect Mark Recchi's cross-ice pass beyond goalie Ray Emery.

Penguins counterpart Marc-Andre Fleury stopped Mike Fisher's shot from the slot with 13.1 seconds remaining to seal the win. Fleury, who left after allowing all six goals Wednesday, made 34 saves as Ottawa outshot Pittsburgh 37-21 overall, including 20-5 in the second period.

Gary Roberts and Jordan Staal scored tying goals earlier in the period and Crosby assisted on Ryan Whitney's power-play goal early in the first.

Daniel Alfredsson and Jason Spezza each had a goal an assist in the second to give Ottawa a 2-1 lead. Chris Kelly put Ottawa up 3-2 when he scored for the second straight game 6:18 into the third.

The Senators have never led a playoff series 2-0. Ottawa lost for the seventh straight time after winning the first game.

Staal drew Pittsburgh even for the second time in the third when was left wide open in the slot to beat Emery at 9:34.

Roberts, who tied it at 2 with a power-play goal at 2:04, checked defenseman Wade Redden off the puck behind the net. Michel Ouellet passed the puck out front to Staal, who was alone and scored with a low shot that tied it at 3.

Spezza got Ottawa even at 2 during 4-on-4 play 8:28 into the second after Ottawa's Antoine Vermette and Penguins defenseman Josef Melichar were given penalties following a skirmish behind the Penguins' net.

Alfredsson put Ottawa ahead with a power-play goal at 16:44 after the Penguins' Colby Armstrong was penalized for goaltender interference when he crashed into Emery after he was stopped on a breakaway.

Alfredsson took Dany Heatley's pass and shot the puck into an open net from the left side of the crease.

Roberts made it 2-2 when he put a rebound into an open left side after Emery stuck out his right pad to stop Sergei Gonchar's shot from the right point.

Kelly restored Ottawa's lead when he took a centering pass from Dean McAmmond and drove the slot before firing a shot over Fleury's right pad at 6:18 to make it 3-2.

Notes: Penguins RW Ronald Petrovicky replaced RW Georges Laraque in the lineup. Petrovicky became the 14th Pittsburgh player to make his playoff debut in the series. ... Roberts, Gonchar, D Mark Eaton, RW Mark Recchi, LW Jarkko Ruutu and backup G Jocelyn Thibault were the only Penguins in the lineup with playoff experience before this series. ... Armstrong and Senators C Mike Comrie fought 4 seconds into the third. They took off their gloves and helmets and went at it after lining up for the opening faceoff. ... Senators LW Christoph Schubert lay on the ice and had to be helped off 9:18 in after an open-ice collision with Ouellet. He strained his neck and didn't return.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 04-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #2106
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Penguins Notebook: Cutting down on penalties Game 3 must

Sunday, April 15, 2007
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

OTTAWA -- With Game 3 of their first-round playoff series scheduled for 6:08 p.m. today at Mellon Arena, the Penguins probably won't have time for an in-depth analysis of the tapes from their 4-3 victory in Game 2 against Ottawa yesterday at Scotiabank Place.

It's probably just as well.

They certainly don't need video evidence that giving the Senators nine power plays, the way they did yesterday, is a high-risk way to operate.

"You're not going to beat that team sitting in the penalty box," left winger Gary Roberts said. "We got away with one [in Game 2], but we've got to be smarter."

The Penguins, who had just three chances with the extra man in Game 2, have been shorthanded 15 times in the series.

"Anytime you take that many penalties, you're playing with fire," defenseman Mark Eaton said. "We need to be more disciplined. With the power play they have, we can't give them too many chances."

Four of those came in the second period yesterday, when the Penguins experienced a near-meltdown.

"When you spend too much time in the penalty box, this is what happens," coach Michel Therrien said. "We were a frustrated team in the second period.

"[The Senators] got away with some calls, but, in the meantime, we can't lose our focus. We can't be undisciplined because they got away with some calls."

Ottawa has scored three times with the extra man so far, although it got just one of those yesterday.

"We can't play that much on the penalty-kill," forward Jordan Staal said. "It's going to hurt us, sooner or later."

One key switch

Therrien shuffled his forward combinations repeatedly in Game 2, but made only one lineup change, replacing right winger Georges Laraque with Ronald Petrovicky.

"When you don't win, sometimes you want to make some changes," Therrien said.

Petrovicky logged 5 minutes, 32 seconds of ice time and was credited with three hits, including one that drove Ottawa's Mike Comrie into the boards face-first in the first period.

"I tried to keep my shifts really short so I didn't get too tired, and just be in the right position," he said.

"I tried to make a couple of hits.

"It worked out well. We won, and everybody's happy."

In addition to Laraque, the Penguins' healthy scratches for yesterday's game were forwards Nils Ekman and Chris Thorburn, and defensemen Alain Nasreddine and Joel Kwiatkowski.

Talbot right at home

Penguins center Maxime Talbot grew up in Montreal, but played junior hockey across the river from Ottawa in Hull, Quebec.

That means the series against the Senators has significance for him that transcends the obvious.

"[Ottawa] is kind of my hometown, too," Talbot said. "My second hometown. I lived [here] for four years. There are great memories. It's a great area. I know a lot of people."

And at least some of them were hoping Talbot could get them tickets to the games here; he managed to come up with 15 when the Penguins visited during the final week of the regular season.

And, while it seems logical that at least some of those people are Senators fans, Talbot believes their ties to him surpass any connection they have to the local club.

"Obviously, they [follow the Senators] because they live so close," he said. "But because they know me, I think they're more Pittsburgh fans."

Loud noise guaranteed

When the Senators and Penguins meet tonight, it will be the first playoff game in Mellon Arena since May 19, 2001, when New Jersey earned a 5-0 victory there en route to a 4-1 triumph in the Eastern Conference final.

Particularly with the Penguins having earned a split in Ottawa, the fans figure to be animated and vocal.

"We've played a couple of times [there] this year, and the crowd has been pretty good," Ottawa defenseman Chris Phillips said. "Lots of energy. That's fun to play in front of."

Whether it will be fun for the Senators remains to be seen, but it should be loud. Therrien pretty much promised that after Game 2.

"We have great fans," he said. "I know people in Ottawa were great for the Senators, but let me tell you something: What we expect [today] in Pittsburgh is going to be pretty unique."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07105/778242-61.stm
Old 04-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #2107
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Senators lament their missed opportunities on power play

Sunday, April 15, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

OTTAWA -- The passes were crisp. The shots came from all over, from the points, from the slot, from close in.

Yet the results the Ottawa Senators got on their power play were ugly.

"Our power play wasn't very good. Understatement," coach Bryan Murray said.

When a team is 1 for 9 with a man-advantage in a one-goal loss at home in the Stanley Cup playoffs, it tends to stand out.

"I thought we had plenty of chances," defenseman and point man Joe Corvo said after Ottawa's 4-3 loss to the Penguins yesterday at Scotiabank Place dropped the Senators into a tie with the Penguins at one win apiece in their best-of-seven, opening-round series.

"We were working it around. It just wasn't going in."

Corvo launched at least three of his five missed shots during power plays. He hit the crossbar once, with the others going wide.

That's the way it went for the Senators.

Their only power-play goal came from Daniel Alfredsson, who took a pass from Dany Heatley and scored from the left edge of the crease into an open near-side of the net after Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury slid to his right.

That gave the Senators a 2-1 lead at 16:44 of the second period, but it came on their sixth power-play opportunity and at a time when they were dominating the Penguins.

Ottawa outshot the Penguins, 25-10, through the first two periods, 19-5, in the second period.

Scoring another power-play goal or two could have made it a much different game.

"Power plays this time of the year are a little tougher than they are during the regular season, but I thought we moved the puck well," center Jason Spezza said. "We were in their end the whole time. We had some good chances. Their guys are playing just as hard as we are, so you've got to do something special to get it by them."

Other than Alfredsson's goal, Fleury stopped the shots that didn't go wide or weren't blocked. The Penguins finished with 11 blocked shots, many from their penalty-killers.

"It's probably a little bit of both," said defenseman Tom Preissing when asked whether it was more Fleury or the penalty-killers that thwarted Ottawa.

"I think we had a lot of good chances, and I think a lot of it was us not really capitalizing on the chances we had.

"We were focusing on trying to beat them on the power play. I think if we can do that, we're going to win the games, for the most part."

Despite having their top line of Alfredsson, Spezza and Heatley on their top unit, the Senators' power play wasn't at the top of the heap in the regular season, finishing 14th overall with a 17.9 percent overall success rate and 21st at home with a 17.1 conversion rate.

But they were going against a Penguins team that has had trouble killing penalties away from home.

The Penguins tied for 27th on the road by snuffing 76.2 of opponents' power plays.

In their 6-3 win in Game 1, the Senators were 2 for 6, but they got away with two failed attempts to score with a 5-on-3 advantage.

"We were better about creating more chances," Alfredsson said of Game 2. "Sometimes, it just doesn't go in -- it bounces just out of our reach for the rebound or sometimes it bounces on your stick.

"Overall, I think we had a good effort from just about everybody. Sometimes, the bounces didn't go our way. Even though we lost the game, we have something we can bring to the next game and keep building on."

The Senators' power play ranked better on the road in the regular season, tied for eighth at 18.8 percent. But the Penguins were more efficient at killing penalties at home, third in the NHL at 87.8 percent.

That makes special teams one of the emerging story lines this series.

"They did a real good job of checking, and Fleury made some big stops," Murray said. "It's not that we didn't have a number of chances. Either he made a big stop or our point shot was missing the net or getting blocked. That's what hockey is. There are nights when things go in for you, and there are nights when it goes for the other team.

"We had a lot of power-play chances, and we didn't capitalize. Bottom line is, that's the game."

And if the Penguins continue to kill penalties, it could be the difference in more games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07105/778240-61.stm
Old 04-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #2108
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Ottawa Notebook: No time to think much about loss in Game 2

Sunday, April 15, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

OTTAWA -- The Penguins had two off days and all morning yesterday to think about their 6-3 loss to Ottawa in the first game of the teams' opening-round playoff series. They responded with a 4-3 win to tie the series.

The Senators have much less time to digest their loss yesterday.

It was just around 6 p.m. when the players talked to reporters about the loss.

It will be just around 6 p.m. when the teams face off for Game 3 today at Mellon Arena.

"There's no time to dwell on it," defenseman Tom Preissing said, looking at the clock and pointing out the 24-hour span.

Ottawa center Jason Spezza was more succinct.

"You deal with it the same way you would if we won," he said. "You think about the game for [last night], and then you've got to park it.

"When you play in back-to-back games, that's what you've got to do. You've got to move on."

Nothing spectacular

Spezza scored an important goal -- the Senators' first of the game, at 8:28 of the first period, to tie it -- when he backhanded in a short rebound of Daniel Alfredsson's shot.

Spezza didn't count it among his more spectacular accomplishments.

"There was a rebound sitting there," he said. "I just kind of whacked at it. A playoff type goal."

Rear-end collision

Ottawa forward/defenseman Christoph Schubert left the game at 9:18 of the first period after he collided with Penguins center Maxime Talbot at center ice and lay motionless for several seconds before being helped up.

Senators coach Bryan Murray immediately was incensed -- it was Schubert who tripped up Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin in Game 1 with a knee-on-knee move the Penguins thought could have caused an injury to Malkin -- but replays seemed to show that Schubert ran into Talbot, who bent over to avoid the blow. Schubert rolled over Talbot and landed on his back.

"I didn't see exactly what happened, but I was told Schubert ran into Talbot from behind," Murray said after the game.

Schubert did not return to the game and was listed as having a neck strain. It wasn't clear what his status is for today.

Early starts suit Alfredsson

If the series goes at least six games, three will be played at early start times -- Game 2 at 3:08 p.m. yesterday, Game 3 tonight at 6:08 and Game 6 at 1:08 p.m next Sunday at Mellon Arena.

That's just fine with Alfredsson.

"I like them," he said of earlier games.

"Restaurants are still open for dinner [afterward], and there's still some left of the day."

Yesterday was just the fourth daytime playoff game in the Senators' history.

Scratch that

Alfredsson said Friday that whichever team won Game 2 would have a lot of momentum going into Game 3 the next day.

Asked after the loss if that means the Penguins have an advantage, he smiled.

"I lied," he said.

Slap shots

The Senators are 2-2 in daytime playoff games. ... Ottawa has been in playoff games on back-to-back days three previous times and is a combined 3-4 after losing yesterday -- 1-3 on the first day, 2-1 on the second. ... The Senators are 11-34 in the playoffs when the opponent scores first. ... Ottawa scratched defenseman Lawrence Nycholat and wingers Brian McGrattan and Oleg Saprykin.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07105/778236-61.stm
Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 PM   #2109
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Pens 4, Senators 3: Inside the Game

By The Tribune-Review
Sunday, April 15, 2007

Penguins breakdown

Hit of the game: A thousand choices here, but we'll go with Gary Roberts and Michel Ouellet double-teaming Senators defenseman Wade Redden deep in Ottawa's end and knocking him to the ice midway through the third period to set up Jordan Staal's game-tying goal. Ouellet got the first hit to keep the play alive. Roberts finished off Redden, allowing Ouellet to pass to Staal in the slot.

Turning point: Coach Michel Therrien's decision to put Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin together in the third period didn't pay immediate dividends -- the two were on the ice for an Ottawa goal on their first shift together -- but paid off handsomely when Malkin and Mark Recchi assisted on Crosby's spectacular game-winner at 11:44.

Numbers game: The Penguins set a tone early, with 19 first-period hits. They outhit the Senators, 37-32, for the game. ... The Penguins dominated the faceoff circle, winning 36 draws and losing 25. It was the first time in six meetings this season that the Penguins won the faceoff battle.

Highlight reel: Tic-tac-toe. Malkin started the winning play, passing to Recchi on the fly down the left wing. Recchi's pass to Crosby at the goal mouth never touched the ice, but Crosby deflected it with the shaft of his stick.

Save of the game: Fleury stuck out his left pad to stone Mike Fisher from point-blank range with 13.1 seconds left and the Penguins clinging to a 4-3 lead.

Three Stars

3. Sidney Crosby. How many guys bat that puck in?

2. Gary Roberts. Goal, assist, monster hit.

1. Marc-Andre Fleury. Pens outshot, 37-21.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_502849.html
Old 04-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #2110
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Malkin assists on 2 of the Penguins' final 3 goals

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, April 15, 2007

OTTAWA - The Senators' power play was nearly as quiet as Evgeni Malkin through two periods in Game 2 of this Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.

Malkin came to life in the third period, though. Ottawa's power play did not.

As a result, the Penguins, according to Senators coach Bryan Murray, "(did) what they wanted to do" and departed Canada's capital with a come-from-behind, 4-3 victory Saturday that secured them home-ice advantage.

"They didn't touch the puck for two periods," Murray said. "They had a great third period, though."

Malkin, a non-factor through five periods of this series, assisted on two of the Penguins' three late goals. The Penguins erased deficits of 2-1 and 3-2 over a game-time span of nine minutes and 40 seconds.

"We know, going in, they can strike quick. We don't underestimate them," Ottawa center Jason Spezza said. "We expect them to be good."

Malkin hardly played "good" in Game 1 or over the first 40 minutes in Game 2. He still has yet to record a shot in the series.

He and league-leading scorer Sidney Crosby struggled to find open space until Penguins coach Michel Therrien paired them on a line to start the third period yesterday.

From that point, the Penguins went from dormant to destructive.

"(Malkin) probably realizes that the message to us is to create more offense," Crosby said. "It does open up things for me."

That was evident on the Penguins' winning goal.

Malkin led a rush flanked by veteran ring Mark Recchi to his left. After a sharp feed to Recchi in the offensive zone, Malkin drew the attention of two Ottawa players, which allowed Crosby room to work towards the net.

Recchi delivered a pass that Crosby tipped behind Ottawa goalie Ray Emery with the shaft of his stick, and the Penguins owned a lead they wouldn't relinquish.

"The line was real good," Murray said of the Malkin-Crosby-Recchi unit. "I have to really give them credit."

Murray was far less impressed with an Ottawa power play that converted just 1-of-9 chances on the man-advantage.

"Our power play wasn't very good -- that's an understatement," Murray said.

Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson tallied his club's lone power-play goal late in the second period to give Ottawa a 2-1 lead.

However, that goal was all the Senators could do to take advantage of the foul-happy Penguins.

Even though Alfredsson shrugged off Ottawa's poor power-play performance as a result of his club fielding "bad bounces and not getting any breaks," Murray credited the Penguins' penalty-kill units.

"They did a real good job of checking, and (goaltender Marc-Andre) Fleury made some good stops. Either he made a good stop or our point shot was missing the net," Murray said. "That's hockey. There are nights when stuff goes in for you, and there are times the other team does some good things."

A good thing for the Penguins was Malkin and Crosby, their two centerpiece stars, seemingly getting comfortable when their team most needed them.

"Their good players are good for a reason," Spezza said of Malkin and Crosby. "We have to shut them down, and it isn't going to be easy."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_502815.html