Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #211
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I'd love to see why the man piled up 124 PIMs last season, but I don't want to see 124 PIMs. Not with this defense. I love old school hockey, I've been going to games since I was four years old. I enjoy the hard hits and when the gloves come off. At the same time, I don't want to watch this team killing penalties with a mediocre defense on a regular basis. We can play a physical game and not take dumb penalties.

As for the way the game is being called. I guess we agree to disagree. I personally have no problem with the way the game is being called. It's nice to see that the clutching and hooking is finally being called. I enjoy seeing what a Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Gionta can do when they don't have to carry a player on their back. Do I catch myself saying "Oh!! That's a weak call!!"? Sure and at times they are weak calls. It happens. But then I think back to the days when Lemieux and Jagr were practically getting raped on the ice and not a whistle blown.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad that they are cracking down on the clutching and grabbing. I was one of the fans screaming the loudest for changing or enforcing the rules to open up the game. But I believe they went overboard, to the point where it's taken a lot of the aggressiveness and physical play out of the game. Players are afraid to hit or finish their checks for fear of getting a penalty, many of the hooking calls are totally bogus, and defensemen are at a complete disadvantage in front of their own net. Plus, they need to get rid of the misconduct penalty for instigating - enforcers can't enforce nor can players stick up for their teammates like Malone did if they know they're going to sit in the box for 17 minutes. There has to be a happy medium, where the offensive players can shine while the defense can still do their jobs. Hopefully the players will adjust to the rules to bring that medium, but right now, offense rules.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #212
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Malone out 4-6 weeks with a broken arm:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_476225.html

Quote:
Monday, October 23, 2006

Ryan Malone paid a high price for deciding to fight Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Rostislav Klesla in the Penguins' 5-3 victory Saturday night at Mellon Arena.

The Penguins' forward will miss 4-6 weeks because of a broken left forearm sustained when he made contact with Klesla.

Malone was coming to teammate Sidney Crosby's defense at 12:51 of the second period after the star center was knocked down by Klesla. Malone was sporting a cast after the game, and the Penguins confirmed yesterday that the forearm was broken.

Malone had gotten off to a slow start this season. In seven games, he had just one assist and no goals, and his minus-4 was tied for worst on the team. He also had a team-high 19 penalty minutes.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #213
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

That's too bad for Malone, getting hurt while sticking up for Sid. He showed some heart there and did what Andre Roy should be doing.

As a result, Staal moves up to 2nd line center between Ekman and Recchi, and Crosby and Malkin will be linemates, which will no doubt give Devils' coach Claude Julien a bad case of indigestion

Also, Noah Welch has been recalled from WBS, likely a move to see what they have in him before deciding whether or not to send Kris Letang back to juniors, and Fleury will get the start tomorrow night.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 10-24-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 AM   #214
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

While I obviously never want to see a player get injured (Darcy Tucker maybe) let alone a Penguin player, Malone going down could be a blessing. Time to watch Staal play where he is supposed to be playing.

As for Malkin on the first line. I wish we had a good solid winger to put on the other side of Sid. Ekman is not exactly living up to his San Jose status. Army is quiet. Recchi is Recchi. Malone, when healthy was Malone of the first half of last season. While it's a thing of beauty to watch those two play next to each other, I would much rather see the talent spread out over two lines.

In my opinion, over the last three games I think it's evident where Letang belongs, in juniors. That's not a diss on Letang, but he's young and inexperienced. As for Noah Welch, he looked good last season when he came up but the last game he played this season in the NHL he looked horrible. Hopefully he can step it up this time around and prove to the team he can play at the NHL level.

Malkin to first line article: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06297/732432-61.stm

Welch called up; Letang awaits decision article: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06297/732441-61.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 10-24-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:01 AM   #215
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

In Ekman's defense, he's been playing with a slightly strained hamstring much of the season, so that may have been affecting his performance. Hopefully he'll start picking up his game - he's shown signs of it the past 2 games.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:13 AM   #216
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

If that is the case with Ekman, then he should have asked Therrien for a few games off to let the hamstring heal. That's if it was bothering him. Eitherway, hopefully he steps up and starts netting some goals. Relying on Gonchar, Malkin, Sid and Ouellet (on the PP only it seems) for goals is not going to cut it.

It doesn't happen often, but here's to hoping Brodeur has an off-night.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 10-24-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 AM   #217
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602

dude, he's a hockey player. ain't no way he's asking for time off. especially if he ever wants to play for therrien again. that's just something you don't do, man. if he can walk, he'll lace up the skates and try to play, that's what being a hockey player is all about.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #218
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalke View Post
dude, he's a hockey player. ain't no way he's asking for time off. especially if he ever wants to play for therrien again. that's just something you don't do, man. if he can walk, he'll lace up the skates and try to play, that's what being a hockey player is all about.
To heal a supposed injured hamstring? If a player asked Therrien to rest a hamstring or play hurt and put the team in jeopardy I think Therrien would understand. Winning is his first priority. On top of that, what would be the repercussions on Ekman? Therrien would bench him? Please, with the lack of scoring from our wingers as it is already?

I don't think it would be the end of Ekman's career as he know's it if he asked to nurse a hamstring which has the potential of becoming worse over time. If we were fighting for a playoff spot or actually in the playoffs I could understand. We are eight games into the season....lol. I think it's safe for Ekman to state that instead of not being able to play to his full potential and the chance of the injury worsening, that he would like to sit a game or two while it only being the month of October.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 10-24-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #219
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins recall Maxime Talbot
Tuesday, October 24, 2006

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins today recalled center Maxime Talbot from their American Hockey League affiliate, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

The Penguins will be without center/winger Ryan Malone for several weeks because of a broken arm.

Talbot, 22, leads Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with four goals in five games and leads the team with three game-winning goals, the game-winners coming in Wilkes-Barre's last three games. Talbot also has posted a plus-1 rating with two penalty minutes.

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound native of Lemoyne, Quebec, appeared in 48 games with Pittsburgh last season, recording five goals and eight points, with 59 penalty minutes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06297/732502-100.stm
Old 10-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #220
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602

as a player, you never, ever ask a coach for time off. especially if you're a mediocre player, which ekman is. you always let the trainers, etc handle that for you. the trainer will go to the coach and tell him 'dude needs to rest his hamstring, give him a couple games off'. the player will always put himself in skates given his choice.

your statement is not illogical at all. just the opposite, what you said makes the most sense. but, that ain't reality, either.

this is hockey and hockey players play. always. guys play through injuries all the time. what if paul coffey asked for time off for his jaw to heal? no stanley cup for us that year, i guarantee it.

therrian's old school. he doesn't want to hear a player whining about letting his leg heal up. he wants guys who want to play no matter what. that's why the trainer is so valuable on a hockey team, especially.