Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #21
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Penguins Reject Cuban/Marino Group

Just like I said before, Mario is going to sell us out. Unbelievable. So much for his love of Pittsburgh and the fans - just like so many others in pro sports today, his allegiance is with the almighty dollar. I am praying that Isle of Capri wins the slots license, because that would guarantee that the team stays here, and this jackass who wants to move them to KC will just have to suck it up and bust.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #22
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Personally, I'm not blaming 66 for the entire ordeal. The pens move if they can't get the arena, simple as that. Even if one of the new owners wants "deep down" to move the pens to KC, it won't happen if the pens get that new arena.

We can be worried when I.O.C. doesn't get the slot license, the pig's plan B crumbles, and then the NHL doesn't block the owner from setting up plans to move the team. Let's just pray that things don't get that far down the line.

Mario has redone his player contracts several times during his career and has taken deferred payments in order to keep himself and the team in Pittsburgh where as he could have played it out, went to NY or Montreal and made a ton of cash and the team would have been long gone by now and we would be Detroit's farm team right now, but he didn't. The man has saved this team on two different occasions. While many were worrying about a new ball field for a single A ball team with ownership who doesn't give a damn and a new convention center, Mellon Arena was and still is decaying.

I'm also keeping in mind that it's not only Mario calling the shots. There are other investors as well that have a say as to what happens with the team. Mario Lemieux is a businessman. At this point I don't blame him for selling the team to the highest bidder. The politicians in this state have screwed him over on a few occasions and I recall people in this city laughing in his face when he stated he wanted a new arena for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Those are the people I put the majority of the blame towards.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-22-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #23
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

These articles are very misleading. Finngold is not looking to move the team to Kansas City. Redneck Heaven is simply a fallback position should the arena negotiations not work out in Pittsburgh.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #24
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Personally, I'm not blaming 66 for the entire ordeal. The pens move if they can't get the arena, simple as that. Even if one of the new owners wants "deep down" to move the pens to KC, it won't happen if the pens get that new arena.

We can be worried when I.O.C. doesn't get the slot license, the pig's plan B crumbles, and then the NHL doesn't block the owner from setting up plans to move the team. Let's just pray that things don't get that far down the line.

Mario has redone his player contracts several times during his career and has taken deferred payments in order to keep himself and the team in Pittsburgh where as he could have played it out, went to NY or Montreal and made a ton of cash and the team would have been long gone by now and we would be Detroit's farm team right now, but he didn't. The man has saved this team on two different occasions. While many were worrying about a new ball field for a single A ball team with ownership who doesn't give a damn and a new convention center, Mellon Arena was and still is decaying.

I'm also keeping in mind that it's not only Mario calling the shots. There are other investors as well that have a say as to what happens with the team. Mario Lemieux is a businessman. At this point I don't blame him for selling the team to the highest bidder. The politicians in this state have screwed him over on a few occasions and I recall people in this city laughing in his face when he stated he wanted a new arena for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Those are the people I put the majority of the blame towards.
You are, of course, correct about people and city officials - namely ex-Mayor Murphy the Moron - screwing him over and laughing at him when he wanted an arena. I still maintain to this day that the money they wasted on the convention center should have been earmarked for a new arena, which the Pens have and do deserve. Other than Fan Fest, have you ever seen that convention center full a majority of the time? And where are all the massive conventions that it was supposed to draw? $325 million down the drain, and now the Pens have to rely on slots money to get a building and hope that this shady bidder will in fact keep them here. And I do realize that Mario is not calling all of the shots - it's Ron Burkle who's really the one brokering the deal, not Mario, but he still has plenty of input. I really do thank Mario for all he did to save the team twice, and no, I can't blame him for selling to the highest bidder or being upset with local officials, but if he really cares about the city and fans, a condition should have been made that the potential buyer keep the team in Pittsburgh - IMO. All I can do is pray that things end up working out on the arena front.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #25
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
These articles are very misleading. Finngold is not looking to move the team to Kansas City. Redneck Heaven is simply a fallback position should the arena negotiations not work out in Pittsburgh.
Not according to this part of the article:

Quote:
Mr. Fingold has ties to Kansas City, which is looking for an NHL or NBA tenant for its new Sprint Center. As recently as a month ago, he indicated he was bidding for the team with an eye toward moving it to Kansas City, but has since said he thinks it might be viable to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh.
That sure sounds to me like he had every intention of moving the team to KC. The ONLY reason he changed his mind is because of the local bidders and that Plan B "might" be viable - with emphasis on "might." If Isle of Capri doesn't win, I am not convinced that this guy won't reject Plan B even if they agree to negotiate on some aspects of it, just so he can point fingers and have an excuse to move the team out of town. I do not trust him one single solitary bit and will not until he gives me reason to.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #26
Jeremy
Banned

It's not up to him. The NHL has the final say as to where the Penguins will play.

The NHL's bylaws are not public documents, but they contain a passage that defines many conditions that need to be exhausted before a team would be allowed to move, NHL spokesman Frank Brown said yesterday.

Since the Penguins' major problem is its facility, the NHL probably would not approve relocation as long as there is an active plan for a new arena.

Finngold can talk about Redneck Heaven all he wants. But there are still rules to follow before he can do anything.

If you want a good site where it discusses this move in depth, I suggest http://kchockeybuzz.blogspot.com/.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #27
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

A few quotes and articles pertaining to Fingold............

"…I think Kansas City needs an NHL franchise, and I'd love to be the one to do it." - Sam Fingold

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/Kansas.../05/09/1542647

"Sam Fingold, a real-estate developer from Toronto now based in Hartford, Conn., said Friday he plans to make an offer for the Penguins “relatively soon” and reiterated that he would move the club to Kansas City if not assured of a new arena in Pittsburgh.

The Isle of Capri gaming company has promised to fund a $290 million facility adjacent to Mellon Arena if it secures a standalone slot machine parlor in Pittsburgh. But if one of two other bidders for the license is selected by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board sometime before the end of 2006, there would be no assurance for a new arena, freeing the club to move.

Fingold said from what he hears, Isle of Capri’s chances don’t “look all that great. Obviously (that leaves) Kansas City.”"

"Fingold has been in constant contact with Paul McGannon of NHL21, the group in Kansas City dedicated to bringing the NHL to the Sprint Center, and with AEG, which will manage the arena."

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...y/14890726.htm
Old 07-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #28
Jeremy
Banned

Someone needs to tell this idiot that he can't just up and move an NHL franchise.

Hockey will bomb in Kansas City, period. The Rednecks will never understand the game. Hell, they have trouble with baseball out there. Does anyone remember the Kansas City Scouts? No? That's because hockey already failed once in Kansas City and it will fail again.

If Mario sells to this idiot and he does get the NHL's permission to move the team, Mario will go down as one of the biggest villians in the history of Pittsburgh.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #29
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I'm not sure how much faith I have in the NHL to handle our situation.........Winnipeg, Minnesota, Quebec.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:20 AM   #30
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Someone needs to tell this idiot that he can't just up and move an NHL franchise.

Hockey will bomb in Kansas City, period. The Rednecks will never understand the game. Hell, they have trouble with baseball out there. Does anyone remember the Kansas City Scouts? No? That's because hockey already failed once in Kansas City and it will fail again.

If Mario sells to this idiot and he does get the NHL's permission to move the team, Mario will go down as one of the biggest villians in the history of Pittsburgh.
My question.......will it fail in KC? Seems to be doing pretty damn good in Raleigh and Nashville.