Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #301
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

other players like Malkin DON'T come along. This guy is a helluva player.
Best is yet to come from him. He's got that thing that all the greats have. I think he should hit the weights get some size up top.

BTW I'd love to see Crosby in Montreal and you can bet Montreal will offer him the Max.
Koivu would become our 2nd line C and it would strengthen us considerably (well duh).

We all have to keep an eye on what the cap number will be.

Keep an eye on Attendance also. NJ, Wash, NYI are having probs....I'm sure there are more.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #302
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Give Shero some time to evaluate the roster. He's already shown he's not shy about pulling the trigger on trades.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #303
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
If we lose a Malkin, other players come along.
whoa...we haven't had a malkin around here since...83. this kid is the real deal. gotta lock him in.

to me, that's like saying jarri kurri or mark messier weren't important to wayne gretzky.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #304
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
other players like Malkin DON'T come along. This guy is a helluva player.
Best is yet to come from him. He's got that thing that all the greats have. I think he should hit the weights get some size up top.

BTW I'd love to see Crosby in Montreal and you can bet Montreal will offer him the Max.
Koivu would become our 2nd line C and it would strengthen us considerably (well duh).

We all have to keep an eye on what the cap number will be.

Keep an eye on Attendance also. NJ, Wash, NYI are having probs....I'm sure there are more.
I'm not denying Malkin's talent. But this is the new NHL. Some players you just can't keep. That's why you either draft or trade for other players who may not be at the same level as a Malkin, but can net goals and help win a cup.

I'm sure every franchise in the NHL would love to have Sidney Crosby. At the same time, that's one player on this teams roster who will be locked up and on this team for a long, long time.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #305
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalke View Post
whoa...we haven't had a malkin around here since...83. this kid is the real deal. gotta lock him in.

to me, that's like saying jarri kurri or mark messier weren't important to wayne gretzky.
Once again, not saying he's not the real deal, but if it comes down to either keeping Malkin or Crosby, I'm taking Sid. It's not going to be easy to keep both of those on our roster while staying solid in other areas (not counting Fleury and Staal). Personally, I'm not having a heart attack over this situation because I have faith in Shero and I care about what's going on right now, not three or four years down the road.

I'd love to be able to lock up Crosby and Malkin for the long term while being good in other areas (defense, more than one scoring line, ST's, goaltending), I'm just not sure if it's going to be possible.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-09-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #306
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704

Remember...Crosby grew up a Habs fan. IF he becomes a RFA don't be surprised to see him in Montreal.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #307
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
Remember...Crosby grew up a Habs fan. IF he becomes a RFA don't be surprised to see him in Montreal.
I understand that. It's been made clear. He's an habs fan. Many players in the league past and present are Habs fans.

From all indications (interviews) he seems pretty content here in Pittsburgh. Let me rephrase that, he has stated on a number of occasions that he is comfortable in Pittsburgh. He enjoys the privacy, the city and the fans. He stressed (along with Lemieux) the privacy factor. If the price is right and he's surrounded by talent, I see no reason why he would leave.

Lemieux was an Habs fan....big deal. He came here when we were a complete joke, he couldn't speak the language and didn't have a role model (like Sid does) to live with and show him the ropes. Complete culture shock for the most part. Lemieux is now a city icon and lives comfortably in Sewickly with a wine cellar that I would kill to own.

Sidney Crosby "In My Own Words" on FSN Pittsburgh. If you ever get a chance, watch it.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-09-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #308
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Both Crosby and Malkin will be retained. I don't know why anyone would think they wouldn't be, especially with a new arena on the horizon. Sid's rookie deal ends after next season and Malkin's the following season, and the Pens already plan on giving Sid a long-term deal for the max salary. If anyone might be let go, it'll be Staal.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #309
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I'm really looking forward to the Pens game tonight. XT and I will be there screaming our lungs out.

I'm not at all surprised that Sid's jersey is the top seller - he's quite a phenomenem to watch, as is Malkin. My next jersey will be a #37 - hopefully Santa will be good to me this year. (Psssst - XT - you're chummy with Brett - put a bug in his ear, will ya? LOL!)
I'm working on it, don't you worry - that jersey will be under your tree on Christmas morning!

I wasn't really expecting much out of the team last night - it was their first game back home after a long road trip, and those are always tough, especially when they had only one day off after flying back from LA. I'm happy with the point they got out of the game and it keeps them within striking distance. Besides, they're such a young team - why would anyone realistically think they would be consistent all season long? I know I didn't. They are going to have ups and downs and growing pains, and fans are going to have to understand that.

I will say though that the loss of Eaton is really going to hurt this team - big time.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #310
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Tonight should be interesting. We have an Ottawa team coming into Mellon Arena riding a 0-4-1 slump with a 5-8-1 record overall.

I'm just hoping they do not decide to break out of that little slump tonight against the Penguins. With players such as Heatley, Alfredsson and Spezza, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

Worth noting: Let's try and get the first goal tonight. Ottawa is 0-5 when allowing the first goal. While Ottawa has the second worst PP in league, let's not test it tonight and lay off the amount of penalties we have been taking lately. Also, how about some of our wingers step up tonight? Army? Recchi?

Let's Go Pens!!

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-10-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Closed Thread