Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #4111
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
it was a great win but let's not get too excited because the Pens were getting dominated for over 2 periods by the Panthers.

Even though Whitney scored on that lucky goal, he played HORRIBLE. He needs to be traded
whitney is still young and he is already one of the top scoring defense in the nhl. the defense will come. u dont jus trade someone with this much promise.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #4112
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Eaton is done for the year. Whitney and Sydor are big liabilities on the blue line. If we dont get help there, we will lose in the first rd of the playoffs
I know Eaton is out for the season. I was simply saying that with Sid, Roberts and Eaton out of the lineup at the same time, the Pens weren't really given a shot at keeping pace by quite a few fans and the sports media.

I'm not willing to give up on Whitney just yet. He's sporting a +3 and he's young - he's got a lot of potential imho.

On another note - isn't this a vision to behold?

2. A. Ovechkin WAS 78
3. V. Lecavalier TAM 76

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #4113
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
u dont jus trade someone with this much promise.
if you can get someone better in return, you always make the trade
Old 02-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #4114
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

IMO, Letang, Whitney and as of right now...Orpik (our only physical defenseman) are the defenseman I would keep on this team and let grow together. I would have no problem trading the likes of Sydor (who costed us the second goal last night) or Gonchar for the right price.

Whitney is still young. It's not like the guy is a ten year vet making defensive mental errors. Last season I thought he rounded out his game very well. This season he is not playing as well when it comes to his defensive game, there is no doubting that. Next year, that could be Letang instead of Whitney.

With our defense, I would rather dump age and cap money over young talent that is still a little rough around the edges, like Whitney, another former #1 pick.

On another note, hats off to Ryan Malone. This year he is finally playing the way he should be playing. Using his big frame and taking it to the net and causing havoc in front of the net. Maybe he can teach Staal a thing or two when it comes to driving the net and being a disturbance in front of the net.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-20-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #4115
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
IMO, Letang, Whitney and as of right now...Orpik (our only physical defenseman) are the defenseman I would keep on this team and let grow together. I would have no problem trading the likes of Sydor (who costed us the second goal last night) or Gonchar for the right price.

Whitney is still young. It's not like the guy is a ten year vet making defensive mental errors. Last season I thought he rounded out his game very well. This season he is not playing as well when it comes to his defensive game, there is no doubting that. Next year, that could be Letang instead of Whitney.

With our defense, I would rather dump age and cap money over young talent that is still a little rough around the edges, like Whitney, another former #1 pick.

On another note, hats off to Ryan Malone. This year he is finally playing the way he should be playing. Using his big frame and taking it to the net and causing havoc in front of the net. Maybe he can teach Staal a thing or two when it comes to driving the net and being a disturbance in front of the net.
Sydor wouldn't be a stunner to me either if he ends up going. Gonchar is near the end.

Whitney has picked up his game since being called out and will only continue to get better. Sky is the limit for him.

I'm also in your boat. Just make sure we get guys who can fill that roll.

I have to agree with this one 100%+ because Malone has finally played how he should and has been big in key rolls. He has finally shown what he can truely do and he his in fact a great piece to a Stanley Cup Puzzle.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 02-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #4116
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Whitney has picked up his game since being called out and will only continue to get better. Sky is the limit for him.
LOL. are you serious? Did you watch yesterday's game? and actually pay attention?

Orpik and Letang are 2 guys we can build around but I'd still like to get a top shutdown defender

WHITNEY IS SOFT!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #4117
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Speaking of defenseman, how about the Flyers grabbing Modry for a 3rd round pick? Modry is having an off year, but giving up a #3 pick in hockey is nothing for Modry. Then again, the guy is 36 years old.

Eitherway, it's fun watching the Flyers hit the wall that they hit every year around this time. I remember a good number of Penguin fans were having heart attacks after they picked up Briere, Biron, etc. etc...now look at them.

F-Philly.

And in other divisional news, Andy Sutton is out 4-6 weeks with a torn hamstring and the Flyers told Gagne to sit out the rest of the season with his injury. HA!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #4118
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
LOL. are you serious? Did you watch yesterday's game? and actually pay attention?

Orpik and Letang are 2 guys we can build around but I'd still like to get a top shutdown defender

WHITNEY IS SOFT!
No, but he has gotten better. Last night was blah.

and 83, this just in, Philly just was named 5th most miserable city. lol.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #4119
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:

WHITNEY IS SOFT!
There are 6 years and 24 million reasons why Whitney will not be traded. It's simply not going to happen. Yes, he's soft, and yes, he's underachieved this season, but you simply do not give up on a young defenseman like him at this stage of his career. I didn't see anyone rushing to demand he be traded after last season when he put up big offensive numbers. Bottom line is that it takes defensemen longer to develop their all-around game at the NHL level. Look at a guy like Chris Pronger, for example (and no, I'm not saying Whitney is the next Pronger). For the first couple years of his career he struggled mightily, and many people wondered if he'd ever develop into the defenseman most thought he would be when he was drafted by the Hartford Whalers 2nd overall in 1993. They gave up on him and ended up trading him to St. Louis (for Brendan Shanahan), where he developed into the All-Star defenseman he is today. Sorry, but I'd rather not see that happen to the Penguins with Whitney. He and Letang are the future of our defense corps.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #4120
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
No, but he has gotten better. Last night was blah.

and 83, this just in, Philly just was named 5th most miserable city. lol.
I wouldn't say he has gotten better. If anything, he has played a pretty bad defensive game this year. He took a step backwards this season.

All it boils down to in my book...

I'm not expecting Whitney to come out and lay people out night after night, but I do expect him to eventually play a solid and smart defensive game. That should be expected from every well-paid defenseman in the league. If Whitney goes the rest of the season without scoring a goal I wouldn't give a damn. Last season he was scoring goals, that was nice, but I respected his defensive game and how he rounded out that aspect of his game more than his offensive abilities. After this season, Whitney should watch film on Larry Murphy.

Lindy Ruff said it best when it comes to a defenseman... "You can't lose focus on being a defender first. ... You defend first, then you take your options after that.".

Thankfully, Ryan Whitney still has time to round out his game and become a very solid two-way defenseman. He will not be traded. I'm not ready for another Sergei Zubov (reminds me of Letang if anybody) for Kevin Hatcher trade. Another one of Craig Patrick's brilliant trade moves from the past.

FWIW, I remember when we traded for Zubov. Many Penguin fans who jumped on after our two cup wins were having heart attacks. Gave up an aging veteran defenseman like Ulf Samuelsson who won two Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh and Luc Robitaille for a younger Sergei Zubov and a younger Petr Nedved. Gave up the aging good to get the better. Patrick had the right idea with that trade (trading old for new), but unfortunately he eventually screwed it up by giving Zubov away for free.

And yes SCM, Philly sucks. The city sucks (although I like South Philly), the fans suck and the teams suck.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-20-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Closed Thread