Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #451
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Malkin is NHL Rookie of Month for 2nd straight time
Friday, December 01, 2006

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Penguins center Evgeni Malkin has been named NHL Rookie of the Month for November, making him just the second player in the history of the award to win it in consecutive months.

Philadelphia goalie Ron Hextall did it in October and November in 1986, the fourth year the award was in place.

Malkin, 20, put up seven goals and six assists, the most by any first-year player, in 14 games last month. He beat out Los Angeles center Anze Kopitar, Colorado center Paul Stastny and Anaheim defenseman Shane O'Brien for the honor.

Malkin made history in his first game of the month, as the first of his two goals during a 4-3 overtime victory at Los Angeles gave him at least one goal in each of his first six games in the league. That had not been done by an NHL rookie in 89 years.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06335/742776-100.stm
Old 12-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #452
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins' LeClair clears waivers
TSN.ca Staff

12/1/2006 2:07:28 PM

Pittsburgh Penguins forward John LeClair cleared waivers today after being passed by Friday's noon deadline.

If a team claimed LeClair, they would be responsible for what's left of his salary this year. If he is assigned to Wilkes-Barre then comes up on re-entry waivers, a team could claim him and be responsible for only half the salary, while the Penguins would be responsible for the other half.

LeClair is due to make $1.5 million this season, the final year of his contract.

"Hopefully, something will change because it's not a great situation for me," LeClair told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette on Thursday. "You have to make the best of it, but, hopefully, something happens."

LeClair's role with the Penguins has been decreasing over the past few weeks and he was a healthy scratch on Tuesday against the New York Islanders.

The 37-year-old has been playing on the fourth line for the club and averaging just under 12 minutes of ice time a game.

LeClair is the second Penguins player to go on waivers in two days. Forward Andre Roy cleared waivers yesterday and was assigned to Wilkes-Barre. He is now on re-entry waivers.

The 31-year-old Roy, who signed a three-year, $3 million deal in 2005, has played in only five games this season, averaging just over three minutes per game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=186551&hubname=
Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #453
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

2 really bad goals allowed by Fleury tonight, and he gets pulled in the 2nd.

Fleury's been great this year, and sometimes you have an off-night. It happens.

Hopefully the team will bounce back tomorrow with a win (yes, I know I'm posting this after the 2nd period, but the Devils don't blow leads).
Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #454
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Well, the Devils are taking out their road trip aggression on us tonight. 5-2 Devils in the third. You give up five goals against the Devils you might as well call it a night. Oh well. Bounce back against the Isles. Long season and it's not the end of the world.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-01-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #455
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I thought Thibault started tonight??? I guess I tuned in late.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 12-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #456
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I thought Thibault started tonight??? I guess I tuned in late.
Yeah, they pulled Fleury.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #457
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

SCM, it's been a strange night. Seems like the puck had eyes through two periods. Marty gave up two goals tonight which were cheap goals and so did Fleury. One of those nights.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #458
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Oh stinkin well. Hopefully we'll get things rolling tomorrow.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #459
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Oh stinkin well. Hopefully we'll get things rolling tomorrow.
I think we will. Pens/Isles = Bad blood this season. Just a rough and strange night tonight. IMO, the main motive for pulling Fleury early tonight was to give him a rest for tomorrow night. Eitherway, the guy was due for a bad night. He's been pretty damn solid all year long. I'm sure he will be starting tomorrow night on the Island.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-01-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:02 AM   #460
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

LeClair likely is gone for good
Saturday, December 02, 2006

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The Penguins say they aren't ruling out the possibility that John LeClair will play for them again someday.

Their actions say otherwise.

Emphatically.

Not because they put him on waivers Thursday, but because they assigned him to their minor-league team in Wilkes-Barre after he cleared yesterday.

By doing that -- rather than, say, simply having LeClair spend a few days at home while keeping him on the major-league roster -- the Penguins assured that he will have to go on re-entry waivers to return to the NHL.

That means LeClair would be made available to the other 29 NHL clubs for 50 percent of the pro-rated remainder of his salary this season -- the Penguins would be responsible for the other half -- and odds are that some team will decide he is a worthy addition under those terms.

In the unlikely event LeClair happened to make it through re-entry waivers unclaimed, it's a near-lock that he simply would retire rather than rejoin the Penguins, given his unhappiness with the limited role in which coach Michel Therrien cast him.

Precisely what LeClair, who has returned to his home in suburban Philadelphia Thursday, is thinking about his future isn't known, because he did not respond to an interview request yesterday.

"I talked to him [Thursday] afternoon and I'll talk to him [this] morning, and see where we go," general manager Ray Shero said last evening. "I just want to confirm with John what he would like to do, and where we're going."

Shero described the decision to put LeClair on waivers as "mutual."

"He was curious as to what was out there, in terms of any other interest," Shero said. "He never requested a trade, or anything like that. He's been a real good professional."

He also insisted that it's not inconceivable that LeClair could play for the Penguins again.

"I have not closed the door for [LeClair] here," Shero said. "I have not closed the door for anybody here. Once you send a player to the minors ... there are players who go to the minors, they clear waivers and they come back."

Left winger Andre Roy, waived by the Penguins Wednesday, is blazing a trail that LeClair might follow. Roy was sent to the Baby Penguins, but now is on re-entry waivers and eligible to be grabbed by any team willing to pick up half of his $1 million salary for a prorated portion of this season and all of 2007-08.

Having Roy claimed could work to the Penguins' benefit, if they have determined he is not part of their future.

If they opted to buy him out next summer, they would owe him only two-thirds of his $1 million salary, but it would be payable -- and would count against their salary cap -- over two years.

In the second of those years, the Penguins will be on the hook for the first season of Sidney Crosby's next contract, as well as that of goalie Marc-Andre Fleury.

Having Roy completely off their books by the spring of 2008 would give them a little fiscal flexibility that could come in handy then.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06336/743007-61.stm