Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #471
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Whoops! My bad. But since the NHL standings change from night to night.........

NYI - 31

NYR - 30

NJ - 30

PITT - 26

PHI - 20
Old 12-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #472
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

haha that's ok 83. Man this is a GOOD Divion.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #473
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

It is, but the Northeast is a better division, with 3 teams currently in (Buf, Mon, Tor) and 2 teams within 3 points of the final spot (Ott, Bos) if the playoffs ended today. But 4 teams in the hunt isn't too shabby.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #474
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
haha that's ok 83. Man this is a GOOD Divion.
Thanks SCM....lol. It is a good division, but I believe if we play our best we are definately capable. Personally, I don't give a shit about others. I'm worrying about ours. LET'S GO PENS!!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #475
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

I'm more worried about playing PENGUINS hockey not OPPONENTS hockey.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:28 PM   #476
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I'm more worried about playing PENGUINS hockey not OPPONENTS hockey.
I'm worried about Penguins hockey and those who play in OUR division.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-03-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #477
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins' goalie needs to bounce back after an off-weekend
Monday, December 04, 2006

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When the NHL updated its all-star balloting results last week, Marc-Andre Fleury of the Penguins led all Eastern Conference goaltenders with 138,151 votes.

And if fans waited until after the weekend games to cast another round of ballots, Fleury's total could go up again.

Perhaps as high as, oh, 138,155.

Assuming a few of his blood relatives decided to get involved in the voting.

Because while Fleury started the week in spectacular fashion, rejecting 33 of 35 shots to make a 3-2 victory against the New York Islanders Tuesday possible -- "What he did with the Islanders in the third period was unbelievable," teammate Max Talbot said -- he ended it in a way that he'll want to forget as quickly as possible.

Even if it requires intense psychotherapy.

Fleury had his worst night of 2006-07 -- and an awful night in any season -- during the Penguins' 5-2 loss in New Jersey Friday night, when he stopped just four of eight shots before being replaced by Jocelyn Thibault.

His 30-save performance during a 5-3 loss to the Islanders Saturday at Mellon Arena was a major upgrade from the previous night, but was ordinary, at best, by the standard Fleury has set through the first two months of the season.

"[Friday] was tough for me," he said. "I didn't play my best game, and I wasn't feeling my best [Saturday]. I felt better, but it's still too many goals [against] for a goalie to have."

Certainly, it's more than the Penguins are used to seeing Fleury give up this season. Even with the hit his personal stats took over the past few days, he remains 11-7-3, with a perfectly acceptable goals-against average (2.97) and save percentage (.907).

Fleury's performance to date isn't the only reason the Penguins speak openly of competing for a playoff spot -- and do it with a straight face -- but it's one of the most important.

"He's been big for us," said center Sidney Crosby, who has made a bit of a contribution himself.

Although goaltending is a key variable for every team -- if a goalie doesn't play well, it usually doesn't matter how the 18 skaters perform -- it's particularly critical for a borderline playoff contender such as the Penguins.

Their chances of getting into the postseason for the first time since 2001 will rise considerably if Fleury and Thibault can limit the number of off-nights they have this winter. Hopefully, what Fleury went through during his past two starts proves to be nothing more than a two-game hiccup.

"He's going to need to come back," coach Michel Therrien said. "I'm sure Marc-Andre Fleury is disappointed to lose those two games, but we win and lose as a team."

That's a valid point because, much as the Penguins have benefited from the consistently strong play they've gotten from Fleury for most of the season, his job has been made a bit easier by an overall improvement in his teammates' defensive commitment and execution.

"We're playing better defensively, overall, and that gives him a better chance to make more saves," defenseman Rob Scuderi said. "He was really good, even last year. We didn't have much of a defensive game in front of him to help him out."

Fleury's game has evolved, too. His positioning is better, and he gets square to shooters more consistently than in previous seasons. That helps to hold down the number of dangerous rebounds he allows, which means Fleury need not rely on sheer athleticism as much as he did in other years.

"He doesn't have to make spectacular save after spectacular save," goaltending coach Gilles Meloche said. "Before, he took himself out of position. Now, he's in the right position, so he's there to recover when there are rebounds."

Recovery is what it's all about for Fleury, and his teammates, as they prepare to face Florida at 7:38 p.m. tomorrow at Mellon Arena. Deflating as the past couple of games have been, dwelling on them isn't an option if the Penguins intend to be more than interested observers in the playoff race.

That's particularly true of Fleury, who seems to recognize that part of maturing into an elite goaltender is learning to cope with the kind of adversity he has gone through lately.

"It's always better when you win, but I'm going to forget about it and get ready for the next game," Fleury said. "I don't have a lot of experience, not so many years, but it's something I've got to do."

If he can, it could do wonders for the Penguins. And it wouldn't hurt his all-star vote total, either.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06338/743387-61.stm
Old 12-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #478
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

LeClair clears re-entry waivers, stays Penguins property
Monday, December 04, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Veteran winger John LeClair cleared re-entry waivers today, meaning no other NHL team opted to pick him up for half of his salary for the remainder of the season. He reverts to being Penguins property.

If LeClair, 37, chooses not to retire, the Penguins must decide what role he will play. That could include keeping him on their NHL roster or assigning him to their Wilkes-Barre farm team.

LeClair's role diminished in his second season with the Penguins, and he was put on waivers last week. No teams claimed him at his full salary, so he was assigned to Wilkes-Barre, then put in re-entry waivers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06338/743496-100.stm
Old 12-04-2006, 04:48 PM   #479
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Pens recall DuPont, Nasreddine from baby Pens

By The Tribune-Review
Monday, December 4, 2006

The Penguins recalled defensemen Micki DuPont and Alain Nasreddine from their American Hockey League affiliate, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
The Penguins have assigned defenseman Noah Welch to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, it was announced today by general manager Ray Shero.

DuPont, 26, has played in 18 NHL games with the Calgary Flames (2001-03). DuPont played for Canada in last year's World Championships, recording one assist in nine games. He has recorded three goals, nine assists and 29 penalty minutes in 23 games this season with Wilkes-Barre.

Nasreddine, 31, has appeared in 24 NHL games, including six with the Pittsburgh Penguins last season. He has played in 19 games this season with Wilkes-Barre, recorded three goals, five assists and 25 penalty minutes.

Welch, 24, has played in 17 games this season with the Penguins. He has recorded one goal, one assist and 20 penalty minutes. Before being recalled to the Penguins, Welch played five games this season for Wilkes-Barre, recorded one goal, two assists and six penalty minutes.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_482625.html
Old 12-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #480
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

hopefully these moves come to fruition soon.

Closed Thread