Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #4981
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

That just sucked! Come on! Well we will have to wait.... Thats just weak!

Lets hope the Pirates win! 4-4 top of the 8th!

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #4982
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

oh well, atleast we got a point

Fleury is playing great (no way he could see that shot in OT)

if it wasnt for that BS 5-3 he would have had a shutout
Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #4983
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Now you know I'm glad we got the point. BUT...

- We went 0-for-MSG this season.
- We gave up 2 more PPG on the road. Granted, they were on a 5-on-3 and a 4-on-3, but that adds to our pathetic road PK numbers.
- Our PP continues to struggle - 1 for 30 since Crosby came back. When is Therrien going to finally wake up and split up the units? Having so many playmakers on the same unit does NOT get the job done. We need another shooter in the middle and start getting more shots from the point. Speaking of that, the one thing I have to get on Gonchar for is that he is missing the net way too much from the point. He has to improve that, because that certainly does not help our numbers.
- MORE SHOTS!!!! They are not getting nearly enough shots on goal.

Other than that, we had another solid defensive effort and Fleury was great again.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #4984
Lord Stiller
Banned

yeah, the only big concern i have is getting our PP in order other than that i am confident heading into the postseason
Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 PM   #4985
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

tough game to watch tonite. fleury played awesome again no chance on the OT winner.

i heard somewhere that we have 13-14 upcoming Unrestricted Free Agents does any1 have a link to where i could find look at the contracts of the players?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #4986
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
yeah, the only big concern i have is getting our PP in order other than that i am confident heading into the postseason
Unless they get it fixed, I'm not so confident. They have too much talent out there to be struggling this badly. It's hard to believe that the PP is actually WORSE with Crosby in the lineup than without, but the numbers speak for themselves. The Flyers and Habs have 1/2 the talent we have, but have more effective PPs. Being able to score on the PP can be a big difference in wins and losses in the postseason.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #4987
Lord Stiller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Unless they get it fixed, I'm not so confident. They have too much talent out there to be struggling this badly. It's hard to believe that the PP is actually WORSE with Crosby in the lineup than without, but the numbers speak for themselves. The Flyers and Habs have 1/2 the talent we have, but have more effective PPs. Being able to score on the PP can be a big difference in wins and losses in the postseason.
Im not so worried. it's up to Therrian to fix it. Malkin cant play the point right now and we have to separate Malkin, Crosby and Hossa that is just too many playmakers

Sykora is damn good on the PP. We need to make 2 top lines as so:

Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Staal - Crosby - Hossa

with Gonchar and Whitney on the point. Gonchar is one of the best in the league on the point in the PP
Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #4988
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
Im not so worried. it's up to Therrian to fix it. Malkin cant play the point right now and we have to separate Malkin, Crosby and Hossa that is just too many playmakers

Sykora is damn good on the PP. We need to make 2 top lines as so:

Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Staal - Crosby - Hossa

with Gonchar and Whitney on the point. Gonchar is one of the best in the league on the point in the PP
That's what I would go with, but it's obvious Therrien is hell-bent in putting all of his best players/playmakers on the same unit. Is it any wonder why the PP struggles when you have guys always looking for the pretty play? Plus, the way they run it is so predictable that it's easy to stop. Everybody knows the puck is going to Crosby and that he and Malkin always line up on the same side, so the other team just funnels their PK'ers to that side, pressure them and take away their passing lanes. If they would move Crosby and Malkin around more, maybe rotating either of them behind the net at times, while using the pointmen to get shots on goal, they can open up the box and get some shots/passes through. That said, there is no reason why they can't split them up and have a shooter/playmaker/guy in front of the net on both units. You have to do whatever it takes to win. If they score just ONE PPG last night, they win the game. They didn't, and ultimately lost the game.

And yes, Gonchar is one of the best PP pointmen in the league, no question. But he still needs to get his shots on goal. What good is having a great shot if you consistently miss the net?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #4989
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
And yes, Gonchar is one of the best PP pointmen in the league, no question. But he still needs to get his shots on goal. What good is having a great shot if you consistently miss the net?
In last night's game, the Rags were blocking just about every available lane on the PP - they were excellent on the PK, unfortunately. Quite possibly, he is hoping to set up a rebound because he doesn't always have a clear shot on goal.

43 of Sarge's 62 points this season are on the PP - what more do you want from the guy??

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #4990
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
In last night's game, the Rags were blocking just about every available lane on the PP - they were excellent on the PK, unfortunately. Quite possibly, he is hoping to set up a rebound because he doesn't always have a clear shot on goal.

43 of Sarge's 62 points this season are on the PP - what more do you want from the guy??
He's been missing the net even when he's had clear lanes to shoot. I don't know if he's off-balance when he shoots or what, but he's missing a lot more now than he did earlier in the season. I'd just like to see him hit the net more often with his shots - that's all. It doesn't always have to be the big slapper, it can be a little push shot or wrist shot, the latter of which he is very good at. Just get it to the net where it can be deflected or get a nice rebound. I'm not taking anything away from the season he's had, just noting something I've been seeing over the last month.