Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #41
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Penguins Reject Cuban/Marino Group

That's how much this whole thing pisses me off. I'm damned sure not going to be a KC Penguins fan. In the words of Will Smith.....that's just stupid.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:18 AM   #42
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I'm curious to why the only person who has claimed it offered 170 million was Murstein. Why does he get all of our trust as being the honest boyscout?

This is the same guy that has failed atleast once (probably more if reports are more correct.) at buying sports franchises.

It's not just about the money He can offer 270 million and still be turned down. Because once you start looking into his group you find out he doesn't have the money to make that type of offer.

People are ready to run Mario out of town but at the same time they need to realize in the real world it won't be a 5 million dollar difference. Maybe in their offers it's 5 million but in reality it could be 55 million because Murstein's group can't come up with the funds.

Again, Murstein has failed before in trying to buy a sports franchise. He got Cuban not as an investor but as a publicity ploy to try and force Mario to give a hometown discount. Why trust this guy and take his word as gospel?

It's all very shady at this point in time. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions and screaming bloody murder a little premature?
Do you honestly think Murstein would make this offer, bring in powerful local investors AND pledge to keep the team here, and then say F you to the public ? I don't think so, and that's why I trust him and would trust Finacci over the guy from Hartford and certainly over Fingold. All I'm asking for is a solid commitment to keeping the team here or at the very least, seriously consider Plan B and negotiate if necessary - I see room for compromise in the deal. Murstein's group would have done that. Fingold has given no indication that he will.

Bottom line is that there are some shady dealings going on here, and I'm not liking it one bit.

Jeremy - I'll do you one step further. If the Pens end up moving, I will never watch or attend another NHL game, and all of my Mario stuff will go into the dumpster.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #43
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Pisses me off just as much. This is coming from a long time Penguin season ticket holder (long before Lemieux was even drafted) but I could never bring myself to root for the Flyers. I guess I wouldn't root for anybody.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #44
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602

yeah, the flyers suck. i'd rather root for what used to be the penguins B team...aka the senators.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #45
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
Do you honestly think Murstein would make this offer, bring in powerful local investors AND pledge to keep the team here, and then say F you to the public ?

Personally, I don't ever recall Murstein pledging he would keep the team here.

If Murstein and his group want to swallow their pride and get overly aggressive with the Pens then they can but I really doubt they will. They gave Cuban and Marino paychecks in the hopes that they wouldnt have to get into a high bidding war. I doubt they will do that now. I am surprised they went to 170!!! in fact I doubt they really went that high.

When I first found out of Cuban's involvement with Murstein, I was very ecstatic about it - I thought it would be a done deal because Cuban wouldn't strike out with the Pens again as he did in 1999. That coupled with the fact that he was also interested in buying the Pirates, the Blues, *AND* the Chicago Cubs, it seemed to me like he would not let this latest opportunity pass by.

This does call into question other statements by Murstein, like "we won't have the highest bid, but we'll be competitive." Fourth-highest is competitive?

That's not to mention what it does to Cuban's whole "I'm in this to make sure the team doesn't leave Pittsburgh" nonsense.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #46
Jeremy
Banned

Well at least we know what's what now.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #47
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Well at least we know what's what now.
lol, we do?

All I know is that we have two final bidders that would love to move this team. Details of this whole deal are still very shady.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:40 AM   #48
Jeremy
Banned

Yeah, we do.

Mario wants to make a little dough off of this deal and it willing to send the team to Redneck Heaven to do so.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #49
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

It's all just making me sick to my stomach.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #50
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Yeah, we do.

Mario wants to make a little dough off of this deal and it willing to send the team to Redneck Heaven to do so.
lol, I'm not going to bother repeating myself on the whole "Hang Lemieux, it's all his fault" topic. Already commented twice on that topic.

In my opinion, the situation is still very shady and the details are still questionable.