Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #511
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
*return high five to 83*

Definantly a good win. Hey Alexander the worst. BRING IT ON.
Amen to that. Sid's winning that personal and team battle 3-1. We still have time SCM to climb the ladder. As one poster already stated and which is very true, the NHL is a marathon not a sprint.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #512
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

AMEN BROTHER.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 12-10-2006, 08:00 AM   #513
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
You know, I read that article...now I'm just as upset as anyone with the recent skid the Pens have had, but talking about replacing the coach or making trades is just silly. NOBODY expected the Pens to make the playoffs this season, and a solid start does not and should not change that. I've said from day one - even during the good start - that people need to temper their enthusiasm, because there were going to be plenty of growing pains with this team, and putting an undue burden on them does absolutely no good whatsoever. They're the second-youngest team in the league, for Christ's sake - let them grow as a team before we start raising the expectation level around here.

That said, nice win tonight...but they still need to get their asses in gear if they want to make the playoffs. And if they don't, hey...just having a significantly better record than last season is good enough for me.
I"m definitely with you here, XT. I didn't go into this season with overly high expectations, as this is a very young team with a lot of talent and promise who are still "gelling". Why would anyone in their right mind even suggest replacing Therrien? He is, imho, just what this young team needs. I'm going to be patient and like you - if they make the playoffs, great - if they don't - hey - we have an exciting and promising young hockey team here in the Burgh which should provide a lot of excitement and playoff contention for years to come!

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #514
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Dave Molinari on the Penguins: A weekly look inside the team, the issues, the questions
Sunday, December 10, 2006

Look for Versus to play up the Ovechkin Connection before and during tomorrow night's game in D.C.

Evgeni Malkin and Alexander Ovechkin challenged the world as members of Russia's Olympic team last winter.

Today, they'll take on cable TV.

Malkin, the Penguins' first-year center, and Ovechkin, the Washington winger who beat out Sidney Crosby as the NHL's top rookie last season, are slated to tape a joint interview with Versus, the network that will carry the Penguins' game against the Capitals tomorrow at 7:08 p.m. at the Verizon Center.

Good thing they'll be tag-team partners since Malkin doesn't speak -- or understand -- enough English to participate on his own. Consequently, Ovechkin will serve not only as co-star, but translator.

Odds are he won't mind, though, since he and Malkin have become buddies

"We're pretty close," Malkin said through translator George Birman. "When we played at the Olympics, we were roommates. We talked a lot during that time. Now, I still call him and try to keep in touch."

Tomorrow, however, will be the first time they've faced each other in North America.

"It's going to be very interesting," Malkin said.

Ovechkin told the Post-Gazette a few hours before he was awarded the Calder Trophy in June that he fully expected Malkin to win it this season, and word of that prediction made it back to Russia quickly.

"It was nice to hear something like that from him," Malkin said, smiling.

While he and Ovechkin have a lot in common, personality is not one of them. Ovechkin is far more animated and extroverted.

"He's kind of an outgoing guy," Malkin said. "He likes to have a lot of fun everywhere. Myself, I'm a little bit of a different guy. I'm a little bit, maybe, shy. I'm kind of quiet."

That does not mean, however, that Malkin does not admire some aspects of Ovechkin's demeanor. Or that he wouldn't like to emulate them.

"He's a great leader of his team, on the ice and off the ice," Malkin said. "His personality is just, 'Win the games and be the best.' "

The sign on the Igloo still reads Mellon

The city is losing another corporate headquarters, thanks to the Mellon Financial-Bank of New York merger last week, but it will be keeping the name of its arena.

At least for a couple more seasons.

A deal struck in 1999 gave Mellon the right to put its name on what used to be the Civic Arena for 10 years, and Penguins officials said they have no reason to think that will change before the contract expires in 2009.

Bank of New York, by the way, will have the right-of-first-refusal on the naming rights to their current arena's replacement, if one is built.

LeClair proof that character reveals itself in adversity

John LeClair left the Penguins with the same dignity and class which with he comported himself throughout his season-plus with them.

He never uttered a critical syllable about anyone -- no matter how unhappy he was about cuts in ice time, or how much it stung him when coach Michel Therrien stripped him of his alternate captaincy last season -- and set a high standard of professionalism for less experienced teammates.

"He really helped a lot of the younger guys, made a good impression on us," said center Sidney Crosby, who got the "A" that was taken from LeClair. "We have a lot of respect for him, as a player and a person."

And not just because he was nearly as old as some of his teammates' parents.

Consider what happened earlier this fall, when Therrien decided he wanted to have Crosby and Mark Recchi serve as alternate captains for all games, but split the third "A" between LeClair and defenseman Sergei Gonchar.

That LeClair accepted one at all was a surprise, given the way his previous one had been taken away, but he didn't stop there. He suggested that he wear the "A" on the road, and that Gonchar have one for home games.

The reason: LeClair's family remained in suburban Philadelphia, but Gonchar has his wife and daughter here, and LeClair reasoned that seeing Gonchar with the "A" would make his family proud. And perhaps, as a result, cause him to elevate his game.

General manager Ray Shero, by the way, not only spoke of his respect for LeClair and all that he has accomplished in his career, but acted on it.

He did not compel LeClair -- whose minor-league experience consists of eight games in the 1991-92 season -- to join the Penguins' farm team in Wilkes-Barre once he cleared his initial round of waivers (let alone suspend him for not reporting) and put him on re-entry waivers as quickly as possible under the league's collective bargaining agreement.

LeClair was sent to the Baby Penguins again three days ago, and it's possible -- even likely -- that in the very near future, the Penguins will press LeClair to retire or report to Wilkes-Barre, because they continue to be liable for his $1.5 million salary. That isn't necessarily a prohibitive burden, but it isn't prudent for a team with limited resources to keep paying an employee who is voluntarily inactive.

The way Shero has dealt with LeClair not only speaks to how he feels about him, but could add a little luster to Shero's reputation in his first general manager's job. If so, that could only work to the Penguins' advantage in the future.

Treat players with respect and dignity, the way Shero has LeClair, and word will get around. Alone, it might not be enough to, say, convince a free agent to sign with the Penguins, but it's could be a tiebreaker for guys choosing between two or more teams they see as being roughly equal.

From the flightless bird: Don't tread on me

Great to see the Penguins join the long list of NHL teams that have implanted a logo on their locker-room floor, then threatened to fine any unfortunate soul who dares to step on it.

Just one question: If the Penguins -- or players for Ottawa or Tampa Bay or any other club that has made its crest part of the carpeting -- are so horrified by the thought of it being walked on, shouldn't it have been placed on a wall or ceiling instead of the floor?

The going rate for violators in the Penguins' dressing room, by the way, is $100. With luck, offenders who are on the team payroll but earn less than the league minimum for players will be allowed to make payments on an installment plan.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06344/745009-61.stm
Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #515
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704

Staal is better off getting more Ice Time in the minors than being in Pittsburgh playing 4th line minutes.

I was watching a TV show up here and they were asking about the future of Therrien and they were saying that Mike Keenan would be a great fit in Pittsburgh.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #516
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
Staal is better off getting more Ice Time in the minors than being in Pittsburgh playing 4th line minutes.

I was watching a TV show up here and they were asking about the future of Therrien and they were saying that Mike Keenan would be a great fit in Pittsburgh.
One problem, we can't send him to the minors (age restrictions). We had two options in the beginning of the season when it came to Jordan Staal.

1) Keep him here.

2) Send him to juniors.

My first comments dealing with that particular situation was that the kid deseves to stay up on this roster ONLY if he plays on one of the top three lines. IMO, he had nothing to gain in juniors. I still stand by my opinion.

As for Keenan. If Keenan became this teams HC I would strongly debate taking the Fort Duquesne Bridge. I can't stand Mike Keenan. Personally, I don't feel Therrien should take complete blame for the way this team has played as of late. It's not his fault Ryan Malone can't score on a open net. It's not his fault Melichar plays horrible defense. It's not his fault Ouellet, Recchi, Talbot, Ruutu and Ekman can't seem to find the back of the net.

At the same time, I don't agree with his line management. The Recchi-Sid-Malone line is just not cutting it in my book. Personally, I would put Armstrong back on that line. Putting Staal on the 4th line is even worse. Eventually he's going to have to set the lines and let these kids play together for a longer period of time. The majority of players (John Cullen during an interview at the Atlanta game) will tell you it's not easy playing on team where the lines are switched up night after night. Especially with a young team. You can't mold.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-11-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #517
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins vs Capitals tonight on Versus at 7:00 PM.

This is a pretty scary game. While we dominated the Caps for the most part last season, they have won five of their last six games, including games against the Stars, Sabres, and Sens. On top of that they have been playing with some high intensity. I'm sure they will send that bum Brashear out to jump on Malkin and Crosby, we will need Thorburn, Ruutu and Petro to do the same to Ovechkin.

Going to be a close one in my opinion. 5-4 PENS.

Quick notes:

Penguins are 1-5 in past six games at Washington. ... RW Michel Ouellet does not have a goal in seven games. ... Road power play ranks eighth in NHL, with conversion rate of 18.4 percent.

Capitals have gone 7-6-2 at home. ... Ex-Penguins RW Matt Bradley has three goals, all unassisted. ... Are 8-3 against opponents who had 100-plus points last season.

Hidden stat: Capitals have outscored their opponents, 10-4, during the final minute of periods
Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #518
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Crosby leads NHL all-star voting
Monday, December 11, 2006

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

WASHINGTON -- Penguins center Sidney Crosby continues to be the top vote-getter among Eastern Conference players in fan balloting for the NHL All-Star Game Jan. 24 in Dallas.

Crosby has 532,068 votes; Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller is second in the conference with 339,086.

Updated totals were released this afternoon. They show Crosby, Washington left winger Alexander Ovechkin (289,470) and Sabres center Daniel Briere (284,131) to be leading Eastern forwards, while Toronto's Bryan McCabe (332,221) and Buffalo's Brian Campbell (329,564) rank first and second among defensemen.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06345/745326-100.stm
Old 12-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #519
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

LeClair unsure about reporting to Wilkes-Barre
Monday, December 11, 2006

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

WASHINGTON -- Veteran left winger John LeClair, waived by the Penguins nearly two weeks ago, said today he hasn't "really put any thought into" whether he would accept an assignment to their American Hockey League affiliate in Wilkes-Barre.

He also said he doesn't know if general manager Ray Shero, who had hoped to have the matter resolved by early this week, will try to bring the issue to a head by suspending him.

LeClair, who returned to his home in suburban Philadelphia after being put on waivers, said as mid-afternoon approached that he had not spoken with Shero, but that he thought he might before the day ended.

If LeClair declines to join the Baby Penguins, the Penguins have the right to suspend him and stop making payments on his $1.5 million salary.

He seems like a longshot to play in the minors, but did not categorically rule it out.

LeClair, unhappy with the reduced role he had been given by the Penguins, had hoped that another team would claim he when he was put on waivers.

"We took a shot to see if waivers would produce something, but nothing materialized," he said.

LeClair later cleared re-entry waivers; if he had been claimed then, his new team would have been responsible for only half of his salary, with the Penguins picking up the rest.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06345/745324-100.stm
Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #520
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

This is just sickening

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Closed Thread