Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #5201
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Jordan Staal Goal!!!

3-1
Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #5202
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

there we go!

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #5203
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

yea baby 4-1 we win! 3-0 in the series now!! GO PENS!!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #5204
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

WOW!!!! What a tremendous game by our Pens!

Everyone had a hand (stick) in that win and Hossa finally got his goal! That guy has given 150% since coming back from his injury and I was so happy to see him finally get one past the Gerber baby.

My game puck goes to Marc Andre Fleury. That young man has been HOT, HOT, HOT and again made some crucial and mind-blowing saves. He actually played the puck fairly well tonight, too - props to Gilles Meloche for the great job he has done in helping to mold MAF into one helluva netminder.

I don't think I realized until tonight's game just how DIRTY the Sens are. It was absolutely sickening to watch them trying to bludgeon our stars and the Gerber baby is a douchebag too with his cheap shots. Their fans are just as classless throwing garbage on the ice after the 4th goal.

WAY TO GO PENS!!! Let's take this series on Wednesday night on their ice and shove it up their hineys once and for all.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 04-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #5205
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

My game puck goes to Marc Andre Fleury. That young man has been HOT, HOT, HOT and again made some crucial and mind-blowing saves.
definitely, that guy impresses me even more each game. he's a big part of our success, and a big reason for keeping the pens in the game, just like today, 1-1 most of 2nd and fleury neutralizes many of the sens chances, then comes the 3rd and the offense starts firing,

if the offense can' t get it done fleury keeps them in the game, simply amazing

Quote:
I don't think I realized until tonight's game just how DIRTY the Sens are.
yeah, I noticed it too, but well...our players weren't hurt so they're only hurting their image

Quote:
WAY TO GO PENS!!! Let's take this series on Wednesday night on their ice and shove it up their hineys once and for all.
lol, you can say that again

get it done, 4-0, right in their house!!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #5206
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Fluery i'd say is the best goalie in the league right now

Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #5207
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Quote:
I don't think I realized until tonight's game just how DIRTY the Sens are. It was absolutely sickening to watch them trying to bludgeon our stars and the Gerber baby is a douchebag too with his cheap shots. Their fans are just as classless throwing garbage on the ice after the 4th goal.
This isn't a secret. Leafs fans have known this team to be dirty for years with the number of stick incidents in the last decade. There is why Daniel Alfredsson gets booed and It's not because he is a good player (this stupid trend of booing the other team's top player lately is tiresome and lame). But rather than from a pitch fork to a Leafs player in a playoff game in which he shrugged off as being no big deal. Since that game, Leaf nation has had a huge hatred for that fairy.

And Hossa isn't a saint either. It was him in a Senators uniform that that clipped Bryan Berard and almost took his eye out , caused damage to his vision and basically ruining a promising career.

And then there is Chris Neil. Man, I can't stand this walking pile of chicken crap.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #5208
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

A near-perfect way to stick it to the Sens after last year.

First time in as many years to experience excitement for Pittsburgh sports that doesn't have the Steelers involved. Even the Pirates are doing something good...for now. Came back to beat LA tonight. Above .500!

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:32 AM   #5209
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
WOW!!!! What a tremendous game by our Pens!

Everyone had a hand (stick) in that win and Hossa finally got his goal! That guy has given 150% since coming back from his injury and I was so happy to see him finally get one past the Gerber baby.

My game puck goes to Marc Andre Fleury. That young man has been HOT, HOT, HOT and again made some crucial and mind-blowing saves. He actually played the puck fairly well tonight, too - props to Gilles Meloche for the great job he has done in helping to mold MAF into one helluva netminder.

I definitely agree on Fleury - without his play in the first period, the Sens are off and running. Instead, he slammed the door on them, kept the Pens in the game and our stars a chance to shine in the end. He has been rock-solid ever since he came back from his injury, and looks like a completely different goaltender than he was even at the start of the season. I agree with Therrien that he has been the best goalie in the league over the past 6 weeks. And what about Max Talbot? This guy has such a knack for scoring big goals in big moments, and he did it again tonight. The Sens score first and has a little bit of momentum, and then like a damp rag over a match, he snuffs it out with his goal 4 minutes later. We hold them off, get the 2 quick goals to start the 3rd - game over. And maybe now that Hossa has finally scored a goal, maybe the bandwagon fans will get off his back a bit. It's not like the guy has been invisible - he does a lot of the little things that helps you win games. There's more to hockey than scoring goals, which is something that's completely lost on those fans.

Yeah, the Sens are a dirty team, but in the playoffs, you can expect a little extra shot here and there. That doesn't really bother me. But for a career stiff like Gerber Baby to start taking cheap shots is just insane. It's not like he's earned that right like Brodeur or Hasek or Kiprusoff. We got the last laugh on them and got the W, and that is all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesburgh66 View Post
This isn't a secret. Leafs fans have known this team to be dirty for years with the number of stick incidents in the last decade. There is why Daniel Alfredsson gets booed and It's not because he is a good player (this stupid trend of booing the other team's top player lately is tiresome and lame). But rather than from a pitch fork to a Leafs player in a playoff game in which he shrugged off as being no big deal. Since that game, Leaf nation has had a huge hatred for that fairy.

And Hossa isn't a saint either. It was him in a Senators uniform that that clipped Bryan Berard and almost took his eye out , caused damage to his vision and basically ruining a promising career.

And then there is Chris Neil. Man, I can't stand this walking pile of chicken crap.
Let's also not forget that it was Alfredsson who deliberately shot the puck at Scott Niedermayer in the Finals last year, which was also predictably shrugged off as no big deal. He's a great player, but he does have a history of cheap shots. Martin Havlat is another noted cheap shot artist - as I'm sure you know, as a Senator he got suspended for kicking another player in a scrum, which obviously is extremely dangerous when you have skates on. I do remember the Hossa/Berard incident, but I've never actually seen it. I can't see it being deliberate because Hoss isn't that kind of player, but you still have to be responsible with your stick.

Don't even get me started on Chris Neil. The guy is a piece of crap, and I've been hoping that Laraque would beat the hell out of him before this series is over. I found it funny, not to mention hypocritical, that Sens fans got all butt hurt when Bell obliterated Alfredsson with a CLEAN HIT, but defended Neil when he blind-sided Chris Drury last season and Jeremy Reich this season, and all of his other cheap shots. Typical of Sens fans, I guess.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #5210
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Very nice read on Marc Andre Fleury.

http://postgazette.com/pg/08106/873405-61.stm

Matured Fleury is the key
Tuesday, April 15, 2008

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

OTTAWA -- The big, noisy, hostile Scotiabank Place crowd didn't shake Marc-Andre Fleury this time. The emotional return of Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson from your typical hockey playoff injury -- unspecified, of course -- didn't get to him. Not even the goal he gave up to Nick Foligno in the second period, which gave the Senators their first lead of the series, threw him off his game.

Fleury stood tall through it all last night.

As a result, the Penguins need just a win here tomorrow night to sweep the Senators into next season and move on to Round 2 in their pursuit of Lord Stanley's Cup.

The Penguins' 4-1 win in Game 3 long will be remembered for the goals Sidney Crosby and Jordan Staal scored in the first 90 seconds of the third period. But Fleury gave them a chance -- especially early -- by stopping everything the Senators threw at him, including Alfredsson, who was playing for the first time in the series.

"Our leader," they called Alfredsson during a stirring first-period video tribute in honor of his 100th career playoff game.

"Their captain, their heart and soul," was how Penguins coach Michel Therrien described Alfredsson.

Well, Fleury made sure Alfie was no factor.

None of the Senators were, really.

It was no shock that the Penguins were outshot, 9-3, in the first nine minutes, not considering the Senators' desperation after losing the first two games at Mellon Arena. But it also wasn't shocking that Fleury turned back everything in that first period.

"That's when you need your goaltender to make a difference," Therrien said. "He made some key saves for us. He kept us in the game ..."

Therrien paused, before making his final point.

"I'm not surprised," he said. "He was the best goaltender in the NHL the last 15 games and has been the best goaltender in the playoffs. Look at his save percentage, his goals against. He's got the best record."

Much was made before the series of how much the Penguins have grown and matured since their quick playoff exit against the Senators last spring. It seems obvious now that no one grew and matured more than Fleury.

What a difference there was between this game and Fleury's first playoff game here last spring, which just happened to be his first playoff game, period. It took the Senators only 97 seconds to score last spring -- a goal by defenseman Andrej Meszaros -- when Fleury caught his skate on his goal post and tumbled. Ottawa made it 2-0 five minutes later when a shot by winger Chris Kelly snuck between Fleury's legs.

The Penguins never recovered -- going out in five games -- even though Fleury played better as the series progressed.

Clearly, the Senators wanted to swarm Fleury the same way last night. They thought they had figured him out in Game 2 when they scored three times in fewer than 18 minutes after he had stoned them for more than 90 minutes, including a 4-0 shutout in Game 1. The Penguins still won Game 2, 5-3, but it was an eager Ottawa bunch that took the ice for Game 3.

Fleury was up to the challenge. This time, there was no tripping and falling. There were no cheap goals.

"He's just so comfortable in net right now, so confident," Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "That makes all of the rest of us confident."

Thanks to Fleury, the Penguins went to the first intermission, 0-0.

"That was definitely their best period," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "Someone said it in here, 'That's the best they've got.' We came out of it, 0-0. That felt pretty good."

The Senators did beat Fleury on Foligno's goal at 1:11 of the second period for a 1-0 lead, but Whitney said it deserves an asterisk. Foligno batted the puck out of the air and past Whitney to soar in alone on Fleury.

"Put that one on me," Whitney said. "I should have played the body, but I was convinced the puck was going to the corner. That was my bad. Fleury had no chance."

The Senators certainly didn't get into Fleury's head because of that goal. He would not be beaten again, finishing with 33 saves. In the three wins, he has stopped 86 of 90 shots.

That Senators' lead lasted just 4:28 before the Penguins' Max Talbot scored. When Crosby and Staal got their goals early in the third period, the game was over.

Maybe the series, too.

Fleury wasn't picked as one of the three stars. The Penguins' Marian Hossa was No. 1 with a goal and two assists, Crosby was No. 2 and Foligno was No. 3, thanks to some home cookin'.

Fleury had a right to complain but passed. And why not? His teammates' respect is more important, isn't it?

"He was big for us early and really shut the door at the end," Whitney said. "He got us the win."

Three of 'em in this series, actually.

The way Fleury is playing, many more are ahead.

The Anti-Wahoo
Closed Thread