Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #5411
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=3375123

Yep. Avery is hospitalized with a lacerated spleen. done for the playoffs, and perhaps the season. But I'm not gonna relish in it, even though he's a 110% douchebag.

Get well, Sean...you clown...
Old 04-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #5412
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=3375123

Yep. Avery is hospitalized with a lacerated spleen. done for the playoffs, and perhaps the season. But I'm not gonna relish in it, even though he's a 110% douchebag.

Get well, Sean...you clown...
yeah, the spleen is nothing to mess with---just look at Chris Simms and Ryan Clark
Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #5413
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
You (and the world) know how I feel about Fagomir the Pork Chop, but I have to give props to him for playing hard tonight - he seemed to be the only guy for the Rangers out there trying to make plays on offense. I so wanted to see Sid kick his ass when the two of them were jawing at each other - LOL!

Great game by the Pens and especially our D and our PK units killing off 5 Rags' PP's! Fleury made some outstanding saves once again - he's been on fire basically since the day of his return.

Way to get 'er done Pens! Let's get that broom ready for the sweep on Thursday night!
He looked like the only guy who gave a darn other then Drury and maybe Avery. Once they tied it at 3, they died.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #5414
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodt View Post
man i am hoping philly wins there series . a pitt vs philly eastern final would be great.
I'm with you on that Dodt. If the Pens win their series and the Flyers win theirs against the Habs, the Pens retain home ice advantage which is a huge bonus.

I was very sorry to hear about Avery and wish him well. Though I have no respect for him as a player/opponent, I don't wish any ill will on him or any other opponent.

I just heard on KDKA Sportsbeat that Max Talbot injured his foot last night and is wearing a boot and did not practice today. He is listed as "day to day". Gary Roberts completed a full practice this afternoon and may play tomorrow night, though Therrien is still saying "we'll see".

EDIT: Story and link below:

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/bl...=KDKA_Penguins

Talbot Hurt?
Posted by joryrand

So a couple interesting developments here at MSG this morning. First, and most important, the NY Daily News is reporting Sean Avery of the Rangers was found unconscious and unresponsive in his room last night and was rushed to the hospital at 3am. Imagining the worst here, what could this mean for this series? (Update: TSN is reporting Avery suffered a lacerated spleen and is on a respirator.) I'll try to get more on this. The Rangers don't practice here at the Garden, they're at a rink up in Westchester, so it's a bit difficult finding anything out from the team, but we'll find out more on this.

As for the Pens, Max Talbot was reportedly in a boot today after taking a shot off the foot last night. We're trying to get word from the team on his status, but I'm guessing that won't come until Michel Therrien's press conference after practice.

Gary Roberts is skating this morning, and if Max can't go you'd have to think he would be the replacement.

This is an optional skate. Here's who decided to make it out: Sidney Crosby, Roberts, Adam Hall, Tyler Kennedy, Georges Laraque, Kris Bech, Jeff Taffe, Pascal Dupuis, Jarko Ruutu, Hal Gill, Daryl Sydor, Ryan Whitney, Kris Letang, Ty Conklin and Dany Sabourin.

Quote:
Anyone see Laraque kiss Dan Potash at the conclusion of his interview between periods??? Classic!
I saw that and cracked up! Laraque is a trip without the acid - LOL!

The Anti-Wahoo

Last edited by HometownGal; 04-30-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #5415
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Even the injuries are working in the Pens favor now. What would Gary Roberts do on Thursday night ?? That was going to be a minor problem I think, sitting Roberts that is. Hall has been playing great against his former team, you have to keep him in there.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #5416
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

Lets continue the winning streak

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #5417
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Flyers leading Habs 3-2 with a little over 3 minutes left in the game. I believe the Pens would beat either team, but I want that home ice advantage, so (and God forgive me for saying this) I'm pulling for the *cough* *cough* *choke* Flyers.

On another note, what a BUNCH OF

Michel Therrien isn't even one of the three finalists for the Adams Trophy!!!! Putting aside my hometown bias, Therrien should have been the clear-cut winner considering the Pens successes this season and particularly during a very long span without Sid and Fleury!!!!

Boudreau???? Are they freakin' kidding? The ONLY reason the Caps won the Southeast Division title is because the Canes tanked in the last 10 games of the season.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Adams Award finalists announced
NHL.com Staff Apr 30, 2008, 8:46 PM EDT

Mike Babco ck of the Detroit Red Wings, Bruce Boudreau of the Washington Capitals and Guy Carbonneau of the Montreal Canadiens are the three finalists for the Jack Adams Award, presented to the coach who has "contributed the most to his team's success," the National Hockey League announced Wednesday.

Award winners will be announced in Toronto on Thursday, June 12, as the biggest names in hockey will mingle with stars from the world of entertainment to recognize the top performances from the 2007-08 NHL season at the 2008 NHL Awards Show, airing on CBC and VERSUS.

Members of the NHL Broadcasters' Association submitted ballots for the Jack Adams Award at the conclusion of the regular season, with the top three vote-getters named as finalists. The winner will be announced on June 12 during the NHL Awards Television Special, which will be broadcast live throughout Canada on CBC and the United States on VERSUS from the historic Elgin Theatre in Toronto.

The award was first presented by the NHL Broadcasters' Association in 1974 in honor of the late Jack Adams, longtime coach and general manager of the Detroit Red Wings.

Mike Babco ck, Detroit Red Wings
Babco co posted his third consecutive 50-win season behind the Detroit bench as the Red Wings, leading the NHL with a 54-21-7 and 115 points and capturing the Presidents’ Trophy as the NHL’s top regular-season team. The Red Wings set an NHL record for most first-half victories, posting a 30-8-3 mark through 41 games, and went on to surpass the 100-point mark for the eighth consecutive season — equaling Montreal's record streak from 1974-75 through 1981-82.

Detroit also won its seventh consecutive division title and qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the 17th consecutive season, the longest active streak among the four major pro team sports.

Bruce Boudreau, Washington Capitals
Boudreau brought more than 1,000 games of minor-league coaching experience to his first NHL assignment behind the bench and led the Capitals to one of the most dramatic turnarounds in League history. He replaced Glen Hanlon on Nov. 22 with the Capitals last in the Eastern Conference at 6-14-1, Boudreau led his club to a 37-17-7 mark the rest of the way -- capped by seven consecutive victories to close the season -- and captured the Southeast Division title in the season's final game.

Boudreau became the fastest coach to 20 victories (34 games) and 30 victories (53 games) in franchise history.

Guy Carbonneau, Montreal Canadiens
In his second NHL season behind the bench, Carbonneau guided the Canadiens to a 47-25-10 record for 104 points, their first 45-win and 100-point season in 15 years, first division title in 17 years and first Eastern Conference title in 19 years. Their 25-12-4 road record was the Canadiens’ best in 29 years.

Led by Alex Kovalev's 84-point season -- an increase of 37 over 2006-07 -- the Canadiens were the NHL's highest-scoring club in 2007-08 with 262 goals and boasted the League's top-ranked power-play (90 for 372, 24.2%). Montreal went 25-9following a loss and did not lose more than three consecutive games all season.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 04-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #5418
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

This is BS. Coach T is absolutely the most disrespected NHL Coach. After how they did without Crosby, his name should have already been etched into stone as the Adams winner.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #5419
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

That is the biggest bunch of I have ever seen. Mike Babc0ck? What the hell did he do that was so great this season? He's been the friggin' head coach of one of the best and most talented teams in the league the past 3 seasons! I can't argue Boudreau because of the job he did, and really can't argue too much against Guy Carbonneau considering that the Habs didn't make the playoffs last season. But Michel Therrien should have been one of the finalists, plain and simple. The guy lost his best player and captain, his #1 goalie, #2 defenseman, his top physical forward and several other injuries, and still managed to keep the Pens afloat and guide them to the division title with a bunch of jabronis and curtain-jerkers from WBS. They seriously need to take the voting out of the hands of the sports writers - they're the ones who voted on this. This is a joke and a travesty.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #5420
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

On the injury front - not good news for either team. The Pens may be without both Rob Scuderi and Max Talbot due to foot injuries from blocking shots Tuesday. In the case of Talbot, his foot may be broken, which means he'd be out for a couple of weeks. Darryl Sydor and Gary Roberts likely take their spots in the lineup. The Rangers will be without Sean Avery, who has a lacerated spleen and will miss the rest of the season, which hopefully will be one more game. I don't like to see anyone injured, but I'm sorry, that is karma coming back to kick Avery in the balls for all of the bullshit he's pulled. They may also be without Blair Betts (broken cheekbone) and Chris Drury (upper body injury, rumored to be bruised ribs), 2 of their top 4 centers and penalty killers. If they can't go, it will make it extremely difficult for the Rangers to win. The Pens can insert two proven playoff veterans in Roberts and Sydor into the lineup and likely not miss much of a beat. Who can the Rangers replace those guys with? Plus, like him or not - and I don't - Avery is a big part of the Rags' success, so that is a big, big loss for them. We'll see what happens tonight.