Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #5901
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

I found this video which I think you all will enjoy! It's a shame that Colby Armstrong can't share in this experience, but I think the Pens got the much better end of that deal with Hossa and Dupuis!

P.S. Thank you, Ty Conklin. Without your stellar play, the Pens wouldn't be where they are!

[YOUTUBE]ksjH6HURLIs[/YOUTUBE]

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #5902
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Conklin definitely deserves all the credit in the world for helping to keep the team afloat when Fleury was out. He did an outstanding job. I hope the team takes care of him - he's earned it.

Well, we know it's Pens vs. Wings for the Cup, so here's a little breakdown of where I feel the teams stack up against each other:

Offense: Edge Penguins
Defense: Edge Wings (their D corps top to bottom is better)
Goaltending: Draw
Special Teams: Draw
Grit: Edge Penguins
Coaching: Draw

If the Pens are to win, they must neutralize the Wings' top unit of Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom, because after them, there's very little secondary scoring. Johan Franzen being out really hurts them in that department. Staying out of the penalty box would also go a long way toward keeping that line in check. Offensively, they have to find a way to get shots on Chris Osgood - he has not been tested very much at all so far in the playoffs, facing about 21 shots per game. Of course, when you are facing such offensive juggernauts as Nashville, a depleted Colorado squad and the Dallas Stars, it's no wonder. He has not faced a team with the offensive skill that the Penguins have, and if they can break through the Wings' left-wing lock system to generate offense, they should be able to score some goals on him. In the end, though, it's going to come down to the Pens' youthful exuberance vs. the Wings' experience. Whichever one gains the upper hand will win the series.

It's really a tough series to call - I think it can go either way. But my official prediction is the Pens in 6 games.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 05-20-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #5903
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Conklin definitely deserves all the credit in the world for helping to keep the team afloat when Fleury was out. He did an outstanding job. I hope the team takes care of him - he's earned it.

Well, we know it's Pens vs. Wings for the Cup, so here's a little breakdown of where I feel the teams stack up against each other:

Offense: Edge Penguins
Defense: Edge Wings (their D corps top to bottom is better)
Goaltending: Draw
Special Teams: Draw
Grit: Edge Penguins
Coaching: Draw

If the Pens are to win, they must neutralize the Wings' top unit of Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom, because after them, there's very little secondary scoring. Johan Franzen being out really hurts them in that department. Staying out of the penalty box would also go a long way toward keeping that line in check. Offensively, they have to find a way to get shots on Chris Osgood - he has not been tested very much at all so far in the playoffs, facing about 21 shots per game. Of course, when you are facing such offensive juggernauts as Nashville, a depleted Colorado squad and the Dallas Stars, it's no wonder. He has not faced a team with the offensive skill that the Penguins have, and if they can break through the Wings' left-wing lock system to generate offense, they should be able to score some goals on him. In the end, though, it's going to come down to the Pens' youthful exuberance vs. the Wings' experience. Whichever one gains the upper hand will win the series.

It's really a tough series to call - I think it can go either way. But my official prediction is the Pens in 6 games.
nice ill pick pens to win in seven for all the same reasons u said. we gotta find ways to get QUALITY shots on goal. not necessalry a lot, we dont need that many shots to score with our fire power especially against aging and small goaltender Ozzy. Detroits puck possession game will def be tough to get use to they are one the best at it, when the Pens cant enter the zone we tend to jus dump and chase, detroit literaly turns around and skates around the neutral zone until the opportunity arises. it helps to have two of the top 3 quarterbacks on defense in Rafalski and Lidstrom

Like i said great series what you want out of the two best teams in the league and PENS IN 7!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #5904
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Ok so here's my breakdown for the Finals!

1) We can't have lazy passes like we did against the flyers. The redwings had a few short handed break aways and goals because of the stars lazy passes.

2) The wings seemed to head hunting vs. playing the puck. I'm not saying that they're hits were illegal I'm saying they seemed to want to play a little more physical hockey in the other team's zone trying to disrupt the offense.

3) The Pens third line is going to have to play just as well as they did in this last series if not better.

4) Fleury will have to be top of his game ala game 5 vs. the flyers for the entire series.

5) Look for a split in Detroit a sweep in Da' Burgh and then home and home with the Pens taking it in Game 6.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #5905
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Great assessments guys!

I pretty much agree with everything said, but I have believed and continue to believe that the Pens fire power is going to be way too much for the Wings D to handle, though their D has been stellar for the majority of the season and playoffs. We have not only 1 line capable of putting the puck in the net - all 4 lines have proven that they can get the job done. I do expect the Wings to bring a physical game and as the Pens proved against the Cryers, they can handle that style of play as well.

I am not all that impressed with Osgood. If the Pens barrage him with shots early and often, I see him getting shaky and giving up some garbage goals. I'm sure Therrien and Yeo are working on their cookbook full of recipes to neutralize the Wings top line (or at least limit their activity) and get their offensive game plan in order.

Fleury is playing at the top of his game now and I can see that continuing. The kid exuberates confidence and that is an excellent quality to have in a goaltender going into the Cup finals. Our D needs to keep playing as strong as they have and keep the Wings out of the middle and away from the front of the net.

Last but not least, as said above, the Pens need to stay out of the sin bin and limit the Wings' chances as much as possible.

Give us what ya got Wings - we'll be ready for ya!

I have all of the confidence in the world in our young Pens and feel that hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup this season is their destiny. Pens in 6.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #5906
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

One other thing I noticed about the wings is that they tend to drop their defense back closer to the goal - not exactly you want to be doing when the Pens have some rocket shooters coming down the ice...so detroit will have to determine what they want to do - protect the net from the short range shooters or come out and challenge the long range missiles!!!

PENS IN 6!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #5907
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

as bad as it sounds i am hoping for it to go to a game 6 or 7 and we win it at home, i will then be in town and able to watch!

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #5908
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

I think the key for the Pens will be to shutdown Detroit's top line which features Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Staal has been our shutdown guy all year. I'd like to see a line of Ruutu - Staal - Talbot face them. I think that line can shutdown the Zetterberg/Datsyuk.

That leaves Laraque - Hall - Kennedy for our 4th line. This juggles the lines a little but I think it will work

The redwings dont have great scoring depth. This way we can stack up our 3rd line and still have a competent 4th line to eat up some minutes

Last edited by Lord Stiller; 05-20-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #5909
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

A Split in Detroit is the best-case scenario for the Penguins. All they need is to win one game there and they're in good shape.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #5910
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
A Split in Detroit is the best-case scenario for the Penguins. All they need is to win one game there and they're in good shape.
Agreed. That takes away home ice. This is certainly going to be a battle of the heavy weights----neither team has seen the likes of the other in the playoffs.

The teams are fairly evenly matched, but I have a firm belief in the Pens young legs and unfailing WILL to WIN. Pens in 6!
Closed Thread