Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #5911
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
Agreed. That takes away home ice. This is certainly going to be a battle of the heavy weights----neither team has seen the likes of the other in the playoffs.

The teams are fairly evenly matched, but I have a firm belief in the Pens young legs and unfailing WILL to WIN. Pens in 6!
I would disagree in that I think the Pens have met more physical teams in the playoffs and they have continued to out skate their opponents. While I don't think the Pens have faced such a potent offense as the Redwings, I truly believe the Redwings have not faced such a well rounded team as the Pens.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
Old 05-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #5912
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I would disagree in that I think the Pens have met more physical teams in the playoffs and they have continued to out skate their opponents. While I don't think the Pens have faced such a potent offense as the Redwings, I truly believe the Redwings have not faced such a well rounded team as the Pens.
Sorry--when I said heavyweights I meant the most talented teams in the league---not necessarily the most physical--sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #5913
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
A Split in Detroit is the best-case scenario for the Penguins. All they need is to win one game there and they're in good shape.
yeah. the home streak can't be broken though, if they lose at home it could get even more difficult

lets go pens! expose the wings
Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #5914
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
A Split in Detroit is the best-case scenario for the Penguins. All they need is to win one game there and they're in good shape.
They have even done that in the early parts of the series prior to this one. I wouldn't be stunned if it happens again.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #5915
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I think this is a pretty good summation of the upcoming series:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=363887

No. 1 Detroit Red Wings vs. No. 2 Pittsburgh Penguins
NHL.com Staff May 20, 2008, 9:20 AM EDT

SERIES BREAKDOWN:

THE SKINNY

Both these teams managed to finish at or near the top of the NHL standings in 2007-08 despite injuries to key players. Detroit hit some bumps in the road during the second half of the season without captain Nicklas Lidstrom and offensive defenseman Brian Rafalski, while Pittsburgh played a large chunk of its season without captain Sidney Crosby and No. 1 goalie Marc-Andre Fleury due to ankle injuries.

"This is why we're moving on -- it's a total team effort. Everybody was talking about how Pav (Datsyuk) and Hank (Zetterberg) have to dominate a hockey game, and the one thing we kept saying is, 'We know they're going to do that. We just need some secondary scoring.' That's when we're at our best." - Detroit center Kris DraperSeveral weeks into the playoff journey, two hockey-crazed cities will duke it out through the two weeks to determine who will be the 2008 Stanley Cup champion. As a hockey fan, you truly couldn't ask for much more than this.

Truth be told, this series pits Goliath vs. Goliath. Both teams possess superstar forwards, as Crosby is joined by Evgeni Malkin and Marian Hossa. On the opposite side of the ice, the Red Wings counter with phenomenal two-way forwards Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk, who combined for 189 points during the regular season and are finalists for the Selke Trophy as the NHL's top defensive forward.

Both teams have also dominated their opponents in the postseason. The Penguins stormed through the first three rounds, going undefeated at Mellon Arena en route to a 12-2 record. They took a 3-0 series lead on the Philadelphia Flyers in the Eastern Conference Finals, lost Game 4 and then eliminated any doubt with a 6-0 drubbing of their in-state rivals on home ice in Game 5 to advance to the final round.

"It's nice to have an Eastern Conference championship, but I don't think it means much. I don't think when we started the Playoffs we were like, 'Hey, let's win the East.'" - Pittsburgh center Maxime TalbotDetroit also took a 3-0 series lead in the Western Conference Finals before dropping Games 4 and 5 to the Dallas Stars -- their first two losses after a franchise-record nine-game winning streak. But just like Pittsburgh, the Wings enjoyed a convincing win in the clincher, coasting past the Stars 4-1 in Game 6 at Dallas' American Airlines Center.

CRYSTAL BALL

Detroit will win if -- The Red Wings skate with the Penguins. Unlike previous rounds, the Penguins' skill level won't be miles ahead of their opponent. Detroit must enter the series believing it can go toe-to-toe with Pittsburgh and get the proper matchups against Crosby and Malkin, who will do everything they can to keep goalie Chris Osgood busy. Detroit could help itself by finding a way to win at Mellon Arena -- something Ottawa, the New York Rangers and Philadelphia were unable to accomplish in the first three rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. While the Red Wings have home-ice advantage in this series, they'd certainly do themselves a service by picking up a win or two in the Steel City.

Detroit will also be counting on All-Star netminder Chris Osgood who replaced Dominik Hasek as the go-to guy in the middle of Round 1 to continue his solid play. The 35-year-old allowed just nine goals in four games against Colorado.

Pittsburgh will win if -- Jordan Staal continues to play an offensive role, which would take some pressure off the shoulders of Crosby and Malkin. While Staal only scored 12 goals during the regular season, the 19-year-old center has picked up his offensive game considerably in the playoffs with six goals in 14 games.

Also, Marc-Andre Fleury -- who has a 1.70 goals-against average this postseason -- must be as reliable as he's been through the first three rounds. Fleury made a couple of huge saves against the Flyers early in Game 5 before the Penguins pulled away. Pittsburgh has clearly fed off the momentum its goaltender has provided. Fleury has three shutouts this postseason.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #5916
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

well i get to be at game 1 saturday at the joe..(yea me!!!!) the wings fans are already crying about how the refs will be calling penalties if the wings so much as look at crosby. could you guys please win the first two games at the joe so you can shut up those annoying red wing fans..(my son included..lol)

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #5917
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
well i get to be at game 1 saturday at the joe..(yea me!!!!) the wings fans are already crying about how the refs will be calling penalties if the wings so much as look at crosby. could you guys please win the first two games at the joe so you can shut up those annoying red wing fans..(my son included..lol)
Good for you.

Gee - for you not being a hockey fan or having any team affiliation, you've been hittin' the Wings playoff games.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #5918
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Good for you.

Gee - for you not being a hockey fan or having any team affiliation, you've been hittin' the Wings playoff games.
only b/c the guy i am seeing has season tickets. other than that i would staying at home with the kiddies..lol. but i am not going to turn down a chance to see your pens take down the might red wings

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #5919
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
only b/c the guy i am seeing has season tickets. other than that i would staying at home with the kiddies..lol. but i am not going to turn down a chance to see your pens take down the might red wings
So - it's safe to assume that you will be cheering for the Pens at the Joe? Whose shirt you gonna wear?

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #5920
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
So - it's safe to assume that you will be cheering for the Pens at the Joe? Whose shirt you gonna wear?
after listening to the red wing fans all day on the radio, its very safe to assume i will be cheering for your pens saturday night. i will even give a big yell for you . that is a good question? can i get by with wearing my steelers jersey???

Closed Thread