Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #5991
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

well its over guys 3-0 theres 3 minues left

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
Old 05-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #5992
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

4-0 12 seconds left jeez this is just embarrassing now

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
Old 05-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #5993
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Well, we pretty much got spanked tonight from the 2nd period on. Detroit looked very good, and didn't give the Pens any room at all. There's a reason why they're in the final, and they showed it tonight. But other than the PPG at the end, the Wings scored on broken/lucky plays.

But still, it's one game, and I'm confident that the adjustments will be made and the Pens will play desperate hockey, and hopefully take game 2. I know they aren't going to quit regardless, and I'm certainly not throwing in the towel. As good as the Wings looked tonight, they aren't invincible. They can be beaten.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #5994
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Let's forget this pitiful performance and get ready for game 2.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #5995
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Well, we pretty much got spanked tonight from the 2nd period on. Detroit looked very good, and didn't give the Pens any room at all. There's a reason why they're in the final, and they showed it tonight. But other than the PPG at the end, the Wings scored on broken/lucky plays.

But still, it's one game, and I'm confident that the adjustments will be made and the Pens will play desperate hockey, and hopefully take game 2. I know they aren't going to quit regardless, and I'm certainly not throwing in the towel. As good as the Wings looked tonight, they aren't invincible. They can be beaten.
That's the spirit!

Tough loss tonight and maybe the Pens needed to shake off the dingies. As they showed in the first period, they are quite capable of going neck to neck with the Wings.

The Wings D was just awesome for the last 30 minutes - they weren't giving the Pens anything and forcing them out of the middle. I was a bit disappointed that the Pens weren't hitting like they were in the Rags and Cryers series. We also have to start winning more faceoffs!!!!

I haven't wavered one bit in my belief that the Pens can beat this team but it isn't going to be as easy as our first 3 series. This is Cup hockey and the Wings showed tonight they're up to the challenge. I believe Therrien will get these guys fired up to rumble in Game #2 on Monday night and we're going to see a much more energized and fiery lot.

LETS GO PENS!

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #5996
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

It's hard to score when you're playing the last two periods in your own end.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #5997
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
It's hard to score when you're playing the last two periods in your own end.
Yes, and the way you counter that is to get the puck in deep and get the forecheck/cycle going. The Wings aren't going to give you anything in the neutral zone or the middle of the ice because they are so good with stick checks and taking away passing lanes - you are going to have to generate offense down low around the net. Some of the best chances the Pens had tonight came from that area. If there's one adjustment they can and should make, that would be it.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #5998
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

No excuses here. The Penguins were dominated by a team they rarely play. Detroit is a fine team, but the Penguins are better than they showed. MUCH better. They were not smart with the puck at all. Sloppy play all around. They were too busy trying to get over their own SCF jitters rather than overcome the Wings. And despite this, they held their own most of the game until the 3rd period. I will expect (and accept) nothing more than a better effort in Game 2. Detroit is a damned good team, but they're not invincible.

Detroit is in the finals for a reason, but the Penguins are here for a reason as well.

All those of you ready to jump off the bandwagon or place an order for championship T-Shirts (To the Wings fans) because of one game, get over yourselves.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #5999
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
No excuses here. The Penguins were dominated by a team they rarely play. Detroit is a fine team, but the Penguins are better than they showed. MUCH better. They were not smart with the puck at all. Sloppy play all around. They were too busy trying to get over their own SCF jitters rather than overcome the Wings. And despite this, they held their own most of the game until the 3rd period. I will expect (and accept) nothing more than a better effort in Game 2. Detroit is a damned good team, but they're not invincible.

Detroit is in the finals for a reason, but the Penguins are here for a reason as well.

All those of you ready to jump off the bandwagon or place an order for championship T-Shirts (To the Wings fans) because of one game, get over yourselves.
If anyone is jumping off the bandwagon right now, they should turn in their colors and their season ticket plans they bought this season after discovering that we actually have a hockey team. I give up only when we're behind and the final tenth of a second ticks off the clock in the final game. Until then, I believe we can win.

I believe you will see a much better effort in game 2 than you saw tonight. They know they can't win the series unless they win a game there, so they will come out with everything they've got. Michel Therrien won't accept anything less, I know that.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #6000
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

http://postgazette.com/pg/08146/884823-61.stm

Red Wings dominant, but not unbeatable
Sunday, May 25, 2008

By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DETROIT -- Ten days ago, I wouldn't have given the Penguins or the Flyers or the Rangers or even a best-of compilation of all three even a puncher's chance to beat the Red Wings in this Stanley Cup final.

The presumptive Western Conference champions were playing such a pristine game of keep-away with the puck, coupled with their devoted defensive posture and the swelling confidence of their veteran goalie, Chris Isgood, that it was clear only a team that could dominate in the faceoff circle -- not exactly a description of the Penguins -- could hope to even endure.

But that was before Dallas extended the Wings to six games, before the Penguins buried Philadelphia just as easily as their prior victims.

More than that, it was before last night, when despite long stretches of atypical incompetence, the Penguins found in Joe Louis Arena not only the expected worthy Cup finalist, but a team they can beat in a long series.

Detroit's awfully good, but unbreakable?

"No, I don't think so, that's for sure," said Tyler Kennedy in the minutes after the Wings skunked the Penguins, 4-0, in Game 1. "We played a little bit of our game in the first period, but we got away from it. We just have to keep it simple."

The Penguins skated a blistering first 10 minutes, but seemed to wilt when they couldn't put one biscuit past Osgood on four first-period power plays.

"We didn't come in here expecting an easy series," Sidney Crosby said after his final baptism. "They're a very tight checking team and that's to be expected; that's playoff hockey."

If there were a significant surprise about last night, it was that the Penguins did not exactly come out flying in the final period, when their young legs are supposed to make a difference, as manifested in the playoff fact that they'd outscored everybody after the second period by a total of 21-7.

Make it 21-10.

All three third-period goals went into the Penguins' net, the back-breaker coming from Mikael Samuelsson again, this one due to carelessness in front of Fleury, specifically by Evgeni Malkin, who put the puck on a platter 10 feet in front of the net one second before Samuelsson made it 2-0.

"Definitely our worst performance of the playoffs," said a clearly displeased coach Michel Therrien. "We didn't compete the way we're supposed to compete. It's a good lesson. They played a really great game. They deserve a lot of credit, but in the meantime, we didn't play our game."

The Penguins spent an exceedingly uncomfortable second period, and not just because it was lowlighted by Samuelsson's icebreaking wraparound goal, the one that put the Red Wings ahead, 1-0, and made you wonder how anyone could carry the puck all the way from the red line, into the zone, get on the merry-go-round past Rod Scuderi, and still generate enough closing speed to beat Fleury across the goal mouth.

But it wasn't until that point, 13:01 of the second, that Detroit's immense reputation for puck management seemed self-evident. For the rest of the second period, the Penguins had trouble getting through the neutral zone, had trouble completing more than one pass at a time, and for the first time in Game 1 appeared to have trouble as their only friend.

The Wings outshot the Penguins in the middle period, 16-4. One of those shots, Kris Draper's wicked wrister off a mishandled rebound, hit not one but both posts, and somehow stayed out of the net.

"I thought we had a good first period," Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik said on CBC's second intermission interview. "We just didn't get a goal on one of those power plays. But after the second, it's like they're just outworking us. They never turn the puck over at the blue line and they make it tough on us because they keep getting behind us."

The puck went into the net only once in the first period, and that was judged to be the result of Detroit's Tomas Holmstrom putting his stick between the legs of Fleury and rendering him unable to react to Nicklas Lidstrom's bullet from the left faceoff circle.

That's what was apparent to referee Dan O'Halloran at any rate, and it made him the object of a spirited verbal assault from Red Wings coach Mike Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter. Holmstrom went off for goaltender interference, introducing the fourth Penguins' power play of the first period.

That the Penguins took an 0 for 4 was more than a bad omen, it was a colossally wasted opportunity from which they would not recover.

But Game 1 wasn't a total waste for the Penguins, who learned that they're merely up against an awfully good hockey team, not some impenetrable monolith.

"We can compete with these guys," Hal Gill said confidently afterward. "We were just a step behind here, a step behind there, and it cost us. We'll work on some things and be better on Monday."

"We always bounce back," Therrien said. "And I expect us to."

The Anti-Wahoo
Closed Thread