Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #6011
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
It obviously isn't the reason why the Pens lost the game, but it is interesting to note that the Wings don't have that problem on their runway. Just some food for thought.
no it definately wasnt the reason. it is very interesting that the home team didnt have a problem but the visiting team did.. wonder if the wings contacted the pats on how to mess with the opposing team???? just a thought..lol.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 05-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #6012
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Simply put, we got outplayed last night. I was disappointed that the refs were calling some weak penalties early in the game (both ways). I was hoping they would let the teams play a little harder than that!!!

Now that game 1 is in the books, I feel confident that the Pens will regroup and explode in game 2 to head back home and take 2 there!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
Old 05-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #6013
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
It obviously isn't the reason why the Pens lost the game, but it is interesting to note that the Wings don't have that problem on their runway. Just some food for thought.
I say you, me and TMB go up to Joe Louis Arena and spread motor oil down that run way.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 05-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #6014
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I say you, me and TMB go up to Joe Louis Arena and spread motor oil down that run way.
i am game if you two are???...

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #6015
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Very interesting. Therrien is going to shuffle the lines around for Game #2. Gary Roberts will play with Laraque sitting this one out. Might be just the jump start the Pens need!

http://kdka.com/sports/Penguins.Red.Wings.2.732600.html

Penguins Shuffle Lines For Game 2 Vs. Red Wings

DETROIT (AP) ― The Pittsburgh Penguins put forth their best effort of the Stanley Cup finals opener in the first period, and all it got them was a stalemate with the Detroit Red Wings.

Might the kids from the East finally be in over their heads?

"If we played our best game and they dominated us, I might say yes, but there's a lot more we can do," said defenseman Rob Scuderi, who was burned for the first of Mikael Samuelsson's two goals in Detroit's 4-0 win Saturday night. "There's definitely no lack of confidence."

The Penguins held their first regular practice at Joe Louis Arena on Sunday, returning to the scene of what coach Michel Therrien called the team's "worst performance of the playoffs."

It was hard to argue that assessment.

Pittsburgh has lost only three times in the postseason, but its road record is 4-3.

Two of the defeats have been by shutout.

The Penguins are in an unfamiliar role of trailing in a series. In the first three rounds, Pittsburgh raced to 3-0 leads against the Ottawa Senators, New York Rangers, and Philadelphia Flyers - needing no more than five games to advance.

Therrien isn't wasting any time against the Red Wings, and appears set to juggle his forward lines in an attempt to get more going in Game 2 on Monday.

He preached effort and desire on Sunday.

"We were kind of sitting back and kind of watching them move the puck," center Jordan Staal said. "We have the speed to pressure them and make them make mistakes. We didn't do that in the second and we started doing it in the third.

"We just have to play a better game all-around. As long as we play a full 60, I think we'll be fine."

Detroit's top line of Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom shut down Sidney Crosby in a matchup that Therrien said he didn't mind going into Game 1.

The Red Wings will still have the last line change playing at home in Game 2, but Pittsburgh will provide them with a little different look.

Crosby will center a trio with wingers Marian Hossa and newcomer Ryan Malone. Pascal Dupuis will drop down to the No. 2 line alongside Staal and Tyler Kennedy.

Struggling center Evgeni Malkin, who has one goal and one assist in the past five games, will play between Maxime Talbot and Petr Sykora.

"Maybe the lines will match up better against their team," Staal said. "Obviously, we want to shake it up and get a new look from different players. Hopefully it does the job."

The Penguins generated eight of their 12 shots in the scoreless first period during four power plays - totaling just over 6 minutes - and recorded five drives on goalie Chris Osgood during one advantage.

Pittsburgh had only seven shots and one power-play chance the final 40 minutes.

"It could've been a different game ... but they killed the four power plays, and the momentum was on their side," Dupuis said. "It's just effort and attention to details. If you want to beat these guys, you've got to play hard. You've got to want it more than them. We didn't want it bad enough, I guess."

Perhaps the addition of 42-year-old forward Gary Roberts will change that. Roberts is coming off a difficult season in which he endured several injuries to his legs and a bout with pneumonia in the East finals against Philadelphia.

He felt healthy enough to play Saturday, but was held out on a coach's decision.

He was miffed by the benching and didn't enjoy watching the game on what he said was a 21-inch television in the upper reaches of the arena.

"I'm focused on what I need to do to help the team win," Roberts said. "Any time you lose a game it's tough, but this team has bounced back before. There is a lot of character in here and there's no reason we won't bounce back.

"I'm excited. For me, bringing some emotion, some intensity. I'm obviously not going to change my game at this point. I know what I need to do to be successful. This team we're playing against is really smart.

To make room for Roberts, Therrien said enforcer Georges Laraque will sit out Game 2. Roberts will likely be on Pittsburgh's fourth line with Jarkko Ruutu and Adam Hall.

"It's about rewarding players," Therrien said. "When we told Gary that he was not playing, we've got to make sure he's got the right attitude and make sure he's ready to play. I had confidence that he was going to be back in our lineup.

"When you take somebody who is not playing and bring him into your lineup, somebody has to get out. We evaluate all different options, and we decided it's going to be Georges."

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #6016
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I just hope Malkin gets out of his slump. The Pens will need to turn up their game. Maybe this line change will help.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #6017
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

about 4 hrs until the game starts.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #6018
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
I just hope Malkin gets out of his slump. The Pens will need to turn up their game. Maybe this line change will help.
It can't hurt having a scrapper on each of the 4 lines now. Therrien is usually right on the mark when making changes, so I'm going to trust in him on this one.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #6019
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Penguins still sleeping from Game 1, and it's showing. They have no answers. Detroit is outhustling them and out hitting them. The Wings are doing whatever they want unopposed and Pens are just standing there like statues.

6 shots on goal. All on Power play. You can't do that. You'll lose every time. Passive play will not work against Detroit.

I'd hate to say it, but it looks like this series is already over before it even started. The Penguins are just out of their league. Until I see anything resembling life from this team from next period on, my opinion will not change. Wake the hell up, Penguins!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #6020
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

I honestly think it is nerves. If they settle down I really think they can hang with Detroit.

~ 3 Doors Down

Closed Thread