Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #6111
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
HEY OSGOOD I PRESENT WITH MY FIRST................................... OF THE SERIES!
Amen brotha! I give my 1,000th to that big cherry pickin' oaf Holmstrom. What a puss. I loved watching Gill get in his grill all night long.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #6112
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I don't know what Therrein said to the players during that time out in the 1st period, but it worked. The Penguins came alive. Nogood actually had to face some shots this time around, and he blew it. The Red Wings had the early momentum and it looked like it was going to be another easy coasting for them. Crosby's goal opened up everything.

Detroit was getting away with a lot of junk. But we won anyway.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #6113
section514
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1401

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14153839703
Bring your terrible towels to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Wear your white shirts and bring your gold terrible towels!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #6114
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettisFan View Post
That was the most inense 5 minutes of my life! OMG that was crazy!

Not sure about that, but I must say I didn't think I could go that long without breathing at my age.

That was a hella good five minutes of Hockey.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #6115
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

There was a period of about 8 minutes during the 3rd period that was absolutely an awesome display of hockey. No interruptions, no stupid penalties, no refs in the way - just good old fashion up and down the ice hockey!!! That would have made an enthusiast out of anyone.

However, I noticed last night that the wings are being allowed to be more physical than the penguins. Don't get me wrong I'm not whining and not blaming that for the outcome of the games but the refs should call the game equally or not at all. First example, the hit on Fleury in the first period that was a harder hit than what Osgood took in Game 2. The "dive" after the hit in front of the net that lead to a wings powerplay.

Regardless, the Pens still need to come out with more intensity and finish games. They gave the wings too much hope towards the end that they could tie it and win it. They need to forecheck and bring the defense up to the blue line...stop letting detroit set up inside the blue line and start firing away.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #6116
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

that was a good game.. bout time they showed thaqt they are alive.. now lets go out in and tie the series 2-2

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #6117
HometownGal
Living Legend

The Pens still have a tough road ahead of them, but last night's win was a huge boost for this team's psyche and we all know what a confident Pens team can accomplish! Our Pens are back!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_569922.html

Pens' arrival better late than never

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 29, 2008

Now, they can breathe.
Now, it's a series.

For more than 10 minutes Wednesday night, the Penguins seemed intent on turning the Stanley Cup final into a self-obstructing prophecy.

Hours after coach Michel Therrien had once again raised the subject of obstruction following the morning skate, the Penguins found themselves tied with the Detroit Red Wings, 0-0, but being outshot, 9-1, more than halfway through the first period of what for the Penguins was a pivotal Game 3.

The Pens' profound problems in generating any offense in this series already had been personified at that point by Sidney Crosby, who for some reason opted to attempt a pass rather than let one rip from the top of the face-off circle to goaltender Chris Osgood's right halfway through the period.
Not long after that, the light finally went on.

All it took was a mistake by the Red Wings, an unforced error on a Brad Stuart-to-Henrik Zetterberg breakout pass.

The puck hit Zetterberg's skate and then Stuart's skate after Marian Hossa had shot it.

Crosby collected it and did the rest, and suddenly the Penguins were the Penguins again.

Therrien, when he wasn't discussing obstruction, confirmed they'd been less than that in explaining why he replaced rookie defenseman Kris Letang with veteran Darryl Sydor.

The Penguins, Therrien said, could use Sydor's experience "on the ice and on the bench."

Sydor wasn't on the ice when Crosby finally got a puck past Osgood at 17:25 of the first, but the bench was just dandy thereafter.

And on the ice, the Penguins were something to behold.

They hit, skated, shot, cycled, trapped and willed their way past the Red Wings, who, as it turns out, are not the Red Army, 3-2.

The Penguins played the type of hockey that had them deserving of victory in about 95 percent of their wins, in Therrien's estimation, prior to the Cup final.

In the process, they proved to themselves, and perhaps to the Red Wings, that they belong in this series.

There was legitimate doubt heading into Game 3 based on how docile the Penguins had been in Detroit, relatively speaking.

But that doubt was body-checked into oblivion in a much-needed Mellon Arena confirmation that included:

Gary Roberts playing with centers Jordan Staal, Adam Hall, Crosby and Malkin, and dominating whenever called upon.

Defensemen such as Sergei Gonchar, Ryan Whitney and even Hal Gill stepping up into the rush and forcing the offensive issue.

Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury remaining upright upon taking the ice and standing tall long enough to make the timely saves that were necessary until the Penguins found their legs.

Defenseman Brooks Orpik crushing everything in red and white that came near him.

The stat of the night?

The Penguins knocked Tomas Holmstrom's helmet off three times in the first two periods.

That's playoff hockey.

By finally playing some the Penguins finally got to Osgood.

If they can get him moving side to side a little more often or become a little more accurate with the shots they're suddenly willing to take, they'll have a chance to light him up Saturday night.

For now, the chance to even the series in Game 4 is more than enough.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #6118
HometownGal
Living Legend

Just like the game announcers last night on NBC, this jackass refuses to give credit to the Pens for stepping up and playing a wow of a game. "No biggie"? We'll see if it's another "no biggie" when the Pens beat the Wings again in Game #4 on Saturday night. They've got their mojo back - look out Detroit.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08150/885796-61.stm

Red Wings: First loss in series not major setback

Thursday, May 29, 2008
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

What, Detroit worry?

The playoff-wizened Red Wings last night reacted to their first armor chink, their first goal against and their first loss in this Stanley Cup final with a collective shrug.

No biggie.

"[The Penguins] came out like they did before," offered winger Mikael Samuelsson, meaning badly. "And we came out like we did before, too. Probably even a little better."

True, the Red Wings gathered a whopping 9-1 advantage in shots to break open this Game 3. But none of those shots eluded Marc-Andre Fleury.

So the Penguins scored first, after a 137-minute, 25-second series wait, then scored second -- both by Sidney Crosby -- and also scored fourth.

Yet to hear the visitors tell it, this 3-2 Penguins survival test of a victory was less a credit to the home side and more the fault of Detroit.

"It was us," defenseman Brian Rafalski said. "First goal was a turnover. Second goal was a power play. Third goal was a bad bounce."

Yeah, off goaltender Chris Osgood's right rear flank, on a shot from behind the net by a Penguins gent hardly known for goal scoring from any ZIP code let alone such a celebrated playmaker's territory, Adam Hall.

That winning goal was, indeed, downright cheeky on the night of consecutive Mellon Arena sellout No. 66, which seems to be a magical franchise number, right? That goal was not, however, considered a harbinger by the Red Wings, who proudly lug a 2-1 series lead back into this same venue Saturday night for Game 4.

"We're still on top," defenseman Andrea Lilja said. "If we can pull one out in the next game, we'll be in good shape."

They're not fretting over Osgood, the veteran netminder who saw both his stick and his shutout streak get broken by Crosby with barely 21/2 minutes left in the first period, snapping a 154:58 shutout streak. Not even the Hall goal overtly bothered them.

They're not concerned about the final 6:20 of the first period and the 9:08 overall in which they went without a shot, nor the 15-minute span when they mustered just two. They're not fearful about awaking a heretofore quiet Crosby -- "He's a good player; everybody knows that," Samuelsson said -- or a slumbering Penguins offense.

"They had their part of the game, we had our part of the game," Samuelsson added, referring to Detroit's third-period flourish -- they had 16 shots in all -- and his goal near the end.

They're not openly sweating about much of anything. However, coach Mike Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter faulted Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk for trying to "do too much" and, referring to himself, added, "I thought the coach played them too much."

Funny, but Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar, at 26:45, played two minutes more than Zetterberg and four more than Datsyuk.

"We can't expect to win four-nothing," Samuelsson said of the series. "We knew it was going to be really, really tough in this building."

Brad Stuart's turnover arranged Crosby's first goal. Niklas Kronvall's penalty set up Crosby's second. Osgood's muff behind the net, and off his behind into the net, transformed Hall into a Mario Lemieux. So it wasn't a stellar night in the Detroit defensive zone. Not that it caused the Red Wings any extra consternation.

"They came out harder than we expected," Samuelsson said.

EDIT: I must have had a brain fart when I posted this - I could have sworn this article was written by a Detroit sportscaster. Geez - haven't had peroxide on my head for years! LOL!

The Anti-Wahoo

Last edited by HometownGal; 05-29-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #6119
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

I just got done watching the third period (had to DVR it because I had to leave for work), and all I can say is WOW. Best period of hockey I've seen so far in the playoffs, no question about it. That 5 minute stretch was awesome, and had everything - great skating, scoring chances galore, big hits (Orpik with 4 hits in 10 seconds!), big saves, a couple of posts...you name it. The Pens really looked good all night and I'm happy they came away with the win. They certainly earned it. And I'm going on record right now to say that the Pens WILL win Game 4 and go back to "Hockeytown" all square at 2-2. At that point, it's a best of 3, and anything can happen.

I'd also like to give a nice to the crowd last night. They were loud and into the game from start to finish. I had my worries that they would sit on their hands most of the night, but they didn't, and it was great to see!

As for the above article, that was a nice job of Chuck Finder to cherry pick some quotes and deliberately take them out of context in order to get Pens fans fired up. If you go over to NHL.com and read some of those same quotes and the questions that were asked, it wasn't as bad as he made it look. In fact, Babc0ck, Osgood, Draper and Maltby all gave the Pens and especially Crosby credit for the way they played last night.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 05-29-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #6120
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

I am so pumped we got this guys

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
Closed Thread