Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #6831
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I have never agreed with having Malkin at the point precisely for the reasons you described. Even though they're young, put Letang and GoGo at the points - at least they are defensemen who know when to pinch/jump into the play and when to back off. I wouldn't be all that comfortable with GoGo at the top of the umbrella though simply because he panics at times when he's pressured and is prone to turning it over. At this point I'd take that chance. And Staal absolutely should be in the middle and in front of the net - you'd like to think after 2 years of watching Malone and Roberts, he'd know exactly what to do and how to use his body to cause havoc in front of the goalie. They have to do something, because what they're doing now clearly isn't working.

As for Gill being down...ugh. They're going to have 2 rookies and a 2nd-year D-man playing major minutes. That spells disaster. It definitely looks like they're going to get pretty close to the number of man-games lost due to injury that they had last year.
hopefully Whitney will be back by next week to give us a little more experience on the blue line (wow, never i thought id say that).

the only reason i thought GoGo should be at the top so than we can use Letang's right-handyness for one timers. if Boucher were healthy i would say put him at the top or shooting position and move Gogo to the second PP. Letang would be ideal for the top of the umbrella because of his defensive abilities but without another right hander we would be limited to our shooting angles to one side. with letang on the circle it might make the PKers to spread out cause they have to cover one-timers from both sides of the ice and leave more room for Staal to cause trouble in front of the net
Old 12-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #6832
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Letang is looking good but Eaton sucks.

With the current injuries and the fact that we've got some time before playoff season I don't think it's a bad idea to give Lovejoy a try. I hope they start to give Pesonen a little more ice time too.

We need some more size to the line-up.

Lovejoy
6'2" and 214 Lbs.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #6833
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
BTW, Whitney is supposed to be back next week, and Fleury is 1-2 weeks away from returning. Good, because at this point we need all the help we can get.

And I agree, it's a little ridiculous to start calling for Therrien's head. However, you do have to be concerned about the repeated mistakes and the lackluster PP. Even with Whitney and Gonchar out, you still have the 2 best players in the world out there with a couple of decent snipers. There is no reason why this team isn't in the top 10 on the PP and a 5-on-3 shouldn't produce a goal 90% of the time.
Hallelujah! I am get so irritated of having to watch Sabourin give up easy goal after easy goal. I'm really stunned he hasn't used Curry more often.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 12-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #6834
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Hallelujah! I am get so irritated of having to watch Sabourin give up easy goal after easy goal. I'm really stunned he hasn't used Curry more often.
me too, especially playing 3 games in four days. i could understand him playing Sabo back to back and then rest him for the Ottawa game or just alternating them but to play him 4 times in less than a week is a little weird
Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #6835
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
me too, especially playing 3 games in four days. i could understand him playing Sabo back to back and then rest him for the Ottawa game or just alternating them but to play him 4 times in less than a week is a little weird
Sabu is nothing more then a back up goalie at best. He's not built to be a starter.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 12-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #6836
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Sabu is nothing more then a back up goalie at best. He's not built to be a starter.
ive been saying that since last year, i have complete faith in him coming in once a week or so and give fleury a break but long term im not sold on him
Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #6837
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

its about time

Crosby, Malkin Rank 1-2 in All-Star Voting
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=397191

Quote:
Thanks to a dramatic surge by Penguins fans at the digital ballot box, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin now rank 1-2 in fan voting to start at forward for the Eastern Conference in the NHL All-Star Game Jan. 25 in Montreal.

As of Wednesday morning, Crosby is the top vote-getter among all NHL players and leads Eastern Conference forwards with 638,945 votes. Malkin is second with 567,371, and Saku Koivu of the Montreal Canadiens is third with 560,973. The top three vote-getters will start at forward for the East.

Just one week ago, Crosby and Malkin were fourth and fifth in the voting, trailing three Montreal players. Canadiens players were staked to large early voting leads at all six Eastern Conference positions.

Fan balloting continues through Jan. 2 and results are available in real-time at www.nhl.com. Fans may vote online or by text message. Penguins fans can vote for all Penguins players on the ballot by texting PENS to 81812. Normal text message rates apply.

Malkin leads the NHL in scoring with 45 points and Crosby is second with 41.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #6838
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Justice served. It would have been a complete joke had the Canadiens gotten all 3 forward positions filled with marginal players. Kovalev and Tanguay??? Come on! None of those guys even deserve to start over Alexander Semin, and he hasn't played in over a month.

Speaking of which, it's just as big a joke for Gonchar and Whitney to be so close among defensemen when neither have played a game this season. The NHL seriously needs to take a look at their voting system next season and not include players they know are injured and will be out for at least the first 1/3 of the season.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #6839
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Justice served. It would have been a complete joke had the Canadiens gotten all 3 forward positions filled with marginal players. Kovalev and Tanguay??? Come on! None of those guys even deserve to start over Alexander Semin, and he hasn't played in over a month.

Speaking of which, it's just as big a joke for Gonchar and Whitney to be so close among defensemen when neither have played a game this season. The NHL seriously needs to take a look at their voting system next season and not include players they know are injured and will be out for at least the first 1/3 of the season.
well you have to have at least 20 games played to be able to play in the all-star game. so Gonchar, Whitney and most likely Komisarek will not be able to particpate in the all-star game and they all three are 2,3,4 i think or all in the top 5. even though mike green has missed a couple of weeks he should def be a starter, and maybe even mark streit should be up there too. markov and price are the only two reasonable canadiens up there.

and most leagues voting system are flawed, as all are popularity contest.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #6840
Pittsburghfan
Banned

Member Number: 5129

How does "Consol Energy Arena" sound to you guys?

Like it or not it will be the name of the new arena.
http://kdka.com/sports/penguins/Cons....2.884539.html
Closed Thread