Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #8001
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
No, Shero's job is safe, but he does deserve some criticism for the makeup of the team - let's face it, it isn't a good one. There's only so much the HC can do in that situation - he's trying to fit players into roles that they really aren't used to playing. And yes, some of the players tuning MT out didn't help either Overall, it just isn't a good situation and unfortunately, MT had to be the one to take the fall. But if you do decide not to renew your half of the season tickets, I'll understand.

EDIT: From what I've been reading, it looks like you are correct in your assumption - basically, The Brass caved to the players and fired MT because they weren't responding to him anymore. Crosby and Malkin, however, didn't seem to have any issues with him.
I really haven't decided 100% what I'm going to do, but I may just renew my seat and sell it each game - I'll take care of that. I'm fit to be tied right now that this organization - an organization I have supported with not only my hard earned dollars since the 70's, but with my heart - could cave into a bunch of disgruntled primadonnas (Sid and Geno as exceptions) who had a beef with a HC who coached them into the Stanley Cup finals last season. They sure didn't have a problem with him then did they? These players are paid handsomely to give 100% each and every game - they OWE it to us - the people who are paying their freakin' salaries.

I just heard Shero on a telephone interview from New York and he got the slipper treatment - both of 'em. Yeah, Shero - it was Therrien who was out there on that ice last night in Toronto and gave up a 2-0 lead.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #8002
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I really haven't decided 100% what I'm going to do, but I may just renew my seat and sell it each game - I'll take care of that. I'm fit to be tied right now that this organization - an organization I have supported with not only my hard earned dollars since the 70's, but with my heart - could cave into a bunch of disgruntled primadonnas (Sid and Geno as exceptions) who had a beef with a HC who coached them into the Stanley Cup finals last season. They sure didn't have a problem with him then did they? These players are paid handsomely to give 100% each and every game - they OWE it to us - the people who are paying their freakin' salaries.

I just heard Shero on a telephone interview from New York and he got the slipper treatment - both of 'em. Yeah, Shero - it was Therrien who was out there on that ice last night in Toronto and gave up a 2-0 lead.
Actually many of the players didn't like him last year either, most notably Ruutu and Orpik, but they were winning, so you didn't hear much about it. Funny how that works, huh? Plus, the chemistry in the room was MUCH better last season - it was much more tight-knit and everyone played for everyone else. That has not been the case this season, and in fact there has been a lot of finger-pointing by players accusing others of not pulling their own weight, when they haven't been themselves. You also probably remember MT getting pissed earlier in the season when there was arguing on the bench during games. So yeah, the players themselves should be taking a LOT of heat for the problems this season.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #8003
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I'm not liking this move even though I kinda understand it. They should have just fired Yeo and Savard.
How could you possibly even consider liking this move, Eric? Shero fired a PROVEN winning coach!!!!

I was just listening to Pompeani's Nightly Sports Call and people are just outraged! Pompeani said that Shero is more to blame because he allowed some of our key pieces to the puzzle to leave - Malone, Ruutu, Hall, Laraques and spent way too much time trying to keep Hossa who screwed him (and us) in the end. Pompeani feels strongly that if the Pens don't turn this around under this new coach, Shero's neck is on the chopping block. Pompeani is totally against this move.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #8004
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
How could you possibly even consider liking this move, Eric? Shero fired a PROVEN winning coach!!!!

I was just listening to Pompeani's Nightly Sports Call and people are just outraged! Pompeani said that Shero is more to blame because he allowed some of our key pieces to the puzzle to leave - Malone, Ruutu, Hall, Laraques and spent way too much time trying to keep Hossa who screwed him (and us) in the end. Pompeani feels strongly that if the Pens don't turn this around under this new coach, Shero's neck is on the chopping block. Pompeani is totally against this move.
You might also remember that Therrien was not even Shero's guy. He was brought here when CP was still roaming the GMs office. But Shero did the right thing last year letting him come back. I just can't believe he left him go.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #8005
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

WOW Shocked. Ok Therrien fired when he led us to the finals last season and had a pretty good record here. During the middle of the season!? Making the coach of the Baby Pens the interem, gosh i hope he is not permanant. Who is in the market for a coach?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #8006
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:

I didn't say I did like it - I never like in-season coaching changes, especially this late in the season. I always felt that IF they were going to fire him, it wouldn't be until the end of the season if they didn't make the playoffs.

I do agree that Shero deserves blame but the decision to pursue Hossa goes straight to the desk of Mario Lemieux. He's the one who pushed for the deal to bring him here, and he was the one who pressed Shero to try to re-sign him in the off-season, and thus losing vital pieces of the puzzle on top of losing out on Hossa. I have to think if Mario fires Shero if they don't make the playoffs, then that is almost as unfair as firing Therrien.

EDIT: Some names that have come up as a possible replacement - Bylsma, Pat Quinn, John Tortorella and Peter Laviolette. If they go with anyone, I'd take Quinn or Torts. Torts would be interesting because his style isn't any different from Therrien's. He's a VERY demanding coach - I mean, the guy stripped Vincent Lecavalier, his franchise player, of the C in 2003 and gave it to Dave Andreychuk. He and Laviolette have also won Stanley Cups as HCs, and Quinn has several SCF apperances.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 02-15-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #8007
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
You might also remember that Therrien was not even Shero's guy. He was brought here when CP was still roaming the GMs office. But Shero did the right thing last year letting him come back. I just can't believe he left him go.
I knew MT was not Shero's guy, but Therrien did a helluva job during his time here and the screw job he got was not only unwarranted, imho, but downright DIRTY POOL. I hope he is successful wherever he ends up and I can almost guarantee he will have a job - if not by season's end - next season.

XT - again, I'll have to disagree with you on Shero. He may have been relentlessly pursuing Hossa at Mario's direction, but he is still responsible for letting key pieces to the Pens successful puzzle last season walk away. While they were playing pattycake with Hossa, they lost opportunities to go after other good players who they may have been able to secure. God knows - I love Mario and respect the man tremendously, but mark my words - both he and Shero are going to regret this decision at some point. I still agree with Pompeani and a lot of the call-ins tonight - Shero's head will roll if this rookie HC doesn't turn things around.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #8008
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
I knew MT was not Shero's guy, but Therrien did a helluva job during his time here and the screw job he got was not only unwarranted, imho, but downright DIRTY POOL. I hope he is successful wherever he ends up and I can almost guarantee he will have a job - if not by season's end - next season.

XT - again, I'll have to disagree with you on Shero. He may have been relentlessly pursuing Hossa at Mario's direction, but he is still responsible for letting key pieces to the Pens successful puzzle last season walk away. While they were playing pattycake with Hossa, they lost opportunities to go after other good players who they may have been able to secure. God knows - I love Mario and respect the man tremendously, but mark my words - both he and Shero are going to regret this decision at some point. I still agree with Pompeani and a lot of the call-ins tonight - Shero's head will roll if this rookie HC doesn't turn things around.
Well, I can't really argue that. Shero absolutely does deserve blame for allowing those guys to leave when they were so important to the team. The only one I could have lived with was Laraque, because he hasn't given much to the Habs this season to justify his $1.5 million salary. Godard does a good job filling the enforcer role. He also tried to replace Adam Hall with Mike Zigomanis, which was working out great until he got hurt. But he absolutely could not afford to lose Malone or Ruutu. That has really, really hurt this team. They never replaced Malone and Matt Cooke can't make a hair on Ruutu's ass.

Got this from another site - pittsburghsportsinsider:
Quote:
Dave Molinari: Ray, Why did you decide a change was in order today?

Ray Shero: "didn’t like direction the team was headed. Watched for significant weeks and just didn't like the direction we were going. That is why change was made"

DM: Did the Outcome of last night's game have any decision on firing Therrien?

RS: Shero said it wasn't the score of the game but it was the direction they were going. Quite Frankly he didn't like the direction of the team. Shero met Therrien around 6:30 and told him that he was making a change

DM: Why did you pick Bylsma?

RS: Shero indicated he sees Bylsma as one of the best young coaches in the game

DM: Where did it go wrong?

RS: Shero was not sure, said he can’t pinpoint an exact reason. Shero indicated Michel Therrien was very loyal to him and he was thankful for it considering everyone said the two couldn't co-exists when Shero was hired.

Criag Tuscan The SportingNews: Did you feel Michel Therrien lost the team?

RS: "Hard to say" said he can’t pinpoint that. Shero indicated he just has a feeling now is the time for a change.

Craig Tuscan – Sportingnews - Were expectations too high?

RS: “Hard to say”

Bill Phillips WPXI: Ray, is this a young team that can be jump started now?

RS: “that is the ultimate goal right now” Shero indicated this is a resillant group and has confidence Dan can rally the troops and the team can turn it around. Shero believes now is the time to move forward. Dan is demanding of his players according to Shero but is fair. "Stresssed fair"

Mike Prisuta - Tribune-Review: How much accountability on the players?

Ray Shero: "Everyone is accountable" Shero also stated he is accountable and it starts with him. He takes responsibility for the teams failures.

Mike Prisuta: Can Dan Bylsma earn full time status or is this just on a interim basis?

Ray Shero: Shero indicated he doesn't even know what the interim status means. Seems like he is going to see how things go and go from there.

Gene Collier: Did any players come to the front office asking for the coach to be fired

Ray Shero: First part, "Absolutely no", Second part: doesn't change any personnel moves and he will try to make any changes if needed

Scott Burnside: why didn't you go to a proven NHL coach

RS: Believes Dan is the right fit right now. Knows the organization, knows the players.

Bylsma speaking to the media

Bylsma wants to play an aggressive system and says he is in a tough position with no morning skate tomorrow. Bylsma will meet with the players in the morning. He is really stressing speed right now. Seems like we are going to see an agressive system which Ray Shero has been stressing for the past couple months.

Shero will meet with his players at 10:00 p.m.
Apparently this decision was Shero's and the players had nothing to do with it.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #8009
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:

Coach T sure did. I'm just upset to see how it all ended.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 02-16-2009, 12:25 AM   #8010
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Talk about a Stanley Cup window closing in a hurry.

From Stanley Cup Runner-up to rebuilding in a matter of months. Geez. It's this type of personnel mismanagement that killed the Pirates in the 90's.
Closed Thread