Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:45 PM   #801
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
I never been much of a hockey guy, but after whatchin the last couple games I'm starting to get into it.

Go Pens!

----
PS -
this might sound dumb, but here it goes...
a couple years ago the Pens colors were black and gold, I noticed a few years ago the changed it.....still black and gold, but more like the saints B&G.....why?
A question even I can't answer.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 01-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #802
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I don't think there really is a reason. Eitherway, I like them and I think they look pretty sharp.

Personally, I would like to see them sport the powder blues as an alternative jersey.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #803
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
looking forward to tonight's game against the Coyotes.
So was I...unfortunately I fell asleep before the game started and woke up just in time to miss Sid's goal in the 3rd period

Still though, it was great to see the Pens get all 4 points on the road. With the way the schedule is now, there isn't as much importance on the interconference games since you only play 10 of them a year, so all you really want to do is get as many points as you can. Picking up all of them is just gravy, IMO. Another 4-point night for Sid and 3 more points for Recchi - he's really been playing well of late and is showing that he's still got it for a guy who is going to be 39 on Wednesday. I see that Ruutu had another good game - a goal and an assist - he definitely seems to love playing against the West as Bob Errey mentioned. The team overall looked great in the 3rd period, and I really love the way they have been forechecking - aggressive while under control, and pressuring the other team into mistakes. If they can keep it up, the sky's the limit for this team.

Next up - Florida. Hey guys, would you mind beating them for once, please? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #804
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Gretzky knows Crosby is for real
Sunday, January 28, 2007

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Amid all the 17- and 18-year-olds who were projected as first-round draft picks that year, newly retired Wayne Gretzky picked out a 14-year-old working in their midst at a player agency camp.

"At that time, I said he was the best player on the ice," Gretzky, now coach of the Coyotes, said last night before Phoenix played the Penguins. "You could just see at that young an age that he could see the ice better than anybody else and played as hard as anybody else and played fearless.

"The next day I jumped on the ice with him. I wanted to be able to skate with him."

That player, of course, was Sidney Crosby, who has proved that Gretzky has a keen eye for talent. Crosby, 19, leads the NHL in points and is coming off an All-Star week in which he constantly was compared to Gretzky.

Last night, Gretzky and Crosby were at Jobing.com Arena, making the comparisons seem more vivid.

"That's the way sports is," Gretzky said. "When Bobby Orr came in, there were a lot of comparisons to Gordie Howe. And then Guy Lafleur came along and guys like Mike Bossy. And then I came along. Then, Mario [Lemieux] came along.

"The ironic thing about it is that time quickly goes by and, before you realize it, they're comparing some young guy to you. It won't be too much longer that it will go from comparing Sidney to me to comparing somebody to Sidney."

Not that Crosby is within sight of being over the hill. He hasn't reached his peak.

Gretzky said Crosby handles his role as a hockey ambassador and the pressure to perform well every night well.

"It's tough," he said. "Every city you go to, people want to see you and, more importantly, they want to see you play well."

Crosby often says there will never be another Gretzky, 46, who essentially rewrote the record book. He also downplayed their meeting last night.

"You can compare and all those things, but I think we all grew up watching him and idolizing him," Crosby said. "Any time you get to play against someone like that, whether it's on the ice or as a coach, it's special."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07028/757544-61.stm
Old 01-28-2007, 07:37 AM   #805
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Something I like about Gretzky, he respects his opponent whether he's a player or coach.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #806
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
So was I...unfortunately I fell asleep before the game started and woke up just in time to miss Sid's goal in the 3rd period

Still though, it was great to see the Pens get all 4 points on the road. With the way the schedule is now, there isn't as much importance on the interconference games since you only play 10 of them a year, so all you really want to do is get as many points as you can. Picking up all of them is just gravy, IMO. Another 4-point night for Sid and 3 more points for Recchi - he's really been playing well of late and is showing that he's still got it for a guy who is going to be 39 on Wednesday. I see that Ruutu had another good game - a goal and an assist - he definitely seems to love playing against the West as Bob Errey mentioned. The team overall looked great in the 3rd period, and I really love the way they have been forechecking - aggressive while under control, and pressuring the other team into mistakes. If they can keep it up, the sky's the limit for this team.

Next up - Florida. Hey guys, would you mind beating them for once, please? Thanks!
Last night's game was a great all-around effort by the Pens. Having their Dads in attendance for the last few games seems to have given them that extra umph - LOL! Thibault played well in goal and everyone played top-o-the-line. I was hoping to see my favorite bad boy punk another opponent, but he behaved last night, though he got some good hits on a couple of Coyotes and had a 2 point night. What I'm really enjoying is that all 4 lines are contributing and that is a definite plus for any team. I just have the feeling the Pens are going to continue on their roll and beat the Panthers.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 01-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #807
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Sidney Crosby goal against the Coyotes: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y4o6M7zO4s4

Simply amazing.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #808
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

One of the best goals I have ever seen.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #809
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
I never been much of a hockey guy, but after whatchin the last couple games I'm starting to get into it.
When you watch Sid score these goals it's kind of a hard not to be completely blown away. What that kid is doing goes beyond hockey.

On that note, at least you admit your not a big hockey fan instead of jumping on the wagon when things are looking up and stating you've been there all along. I can't count how many new "fans(?)" I've seen at Mellon since the start of last season. While it's good for the game, it's pretty sad and pathetic in a way.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #810
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Last night's game was a great all-around effort by the Pens. Having their Dads in attendance for the last few games seems to have given them that extra umph - LOL! Thibault played well in goal and everyone played top-o-the-line. I was hoping to see my favorite bad boy punk another opponent, but he behaved last night, though he got some good hits on a couple of Coyotes and had a 2 point night. What I'm really enjoying is that all 4 lines are contributing and that is a definite plus for any team. I just have the feeling the Pens are going to continue on their roll and beat the Panthers.
I thought it was great that the Pens decided to bring the players' dads along for the trip - it looks as if everyone really enjoyed it! Carolina did it last season and it was a big hit for them as well. It may have given the team an incentive to play well, if for no other reason than so they wouldn't have to face Dad if they stunk - LOL! I do agree about their ability to roll over 4 lines - if they can get consistent contributions from the 3rd and 4th lines, they will be a very difficult team to beat. And it's looking as if putting Malkin with Staal and Ouellet is turning out to be a good decision by Therrien - that line has been solid and has been making things happen since they were first put together. Things are definitely looking good right now, but it seems that they always struggle with the Panthers no matter how bad they are. One win against them is all I ask for!