Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #881
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
And yes we should. LOL.
Just don't insult Ouellet and Therrien will love you.

You will also have to buy suits that don't match.

J/k. I like Therrien, but those suits are almost as bad as Stan's and the love affair with Ouellet is just a tad bit overbearing. I will expect to see you behind the bench on Tuesday.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #882
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Just don't insult Ouellet and Therrien will love you.

You will also have to buy suits that don't match.

J/k. I like Therrien, but those suits are almost as bad as Stan's and the love affair with Ouellet is just a tad bit overbearing. I will expect to see you behind the bench on Tuesday.
Just waiting for Therrien to give me the call.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #883
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Actually, I think Ouellet has played rather well ever since he's been put with Malkin and Staal - scored the game winner against Florida. He has 30 points in 44 games, which isn't bad for a guy who's played most of the season on the 3rd line.
I have no problem with Ouelett's production. It's not like anyone expected him to be a 50 goal scorer or anywhere near the calibre of Crosby, Malkin or Staal. He has seemed to play a lot better since being put on that 2nd line. All 4 lines seem to be contributing and as long as they continue to do so, I can't complain.

Very exciting game in Montreal yesterday afternoon. I had hoped we would pull it off in OT, but I'll gladly take the point and enjoy holding firm in second place in the East.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #884
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

LOL.......

* More than once on Sunday against the Montreal Canadiens, Sidney Crosby wanted a penalty called but the referees either didn't see the infraction or didn't agree. The greatest example of that came with just more than five minutes left in regulation when defenseman Francis Bouillon high-sticked Crosby behind the Canadiens' net. Crosby's head snapped back and he dropped to the ice but wound up skating to the bench checking his face for blood with no call on the play. He was booed by many of the 21,273 in attendance every time he touched the puck after that. "I grew up liking this team," Crosby said. "My like for the team has probably changed since then. But they're passionate fans. It's a road game."

* Quotable: "He told me not to go down. I said, 'If you get a stick in the face we'll see how tough you are. See if you don't go down.' It's funny, you get a high stick and you're not supposed to go down anymore." Crosby, on a conversation with Canadiens winger Aaron Downey after Bouillon's high stick.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491768.html
Old 02-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #885
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I have no problem with Ouelett's production. It's not like anyone expected him to be a 50 goal scorer or anywhere near the calibre of Crosby, Malkin or Staal. He has seemed to play a lot better since being put on that 2nd line. All 4 lines seem to be contributing and as long as they continue to do so, I can't complain.

Very exciting game in Montreal yesterday afternoon. I had hoped we would pull it off in OT, but I'll gladly take the point and enjoy holding firm in second place in the East.
That's the problem though - some fans expect him to be a 50-goal scorer and won't accept anything less than that. But the guy has put up solid numbers this season - 11 goals, 19 assists, 30 pts. and is just a -1 for the season, again, despite playing most of the year on the 3rd line. OK, so he's scored 8 of his goals on the power play, but they count just the same. I even said that he had no business being on the 3rd line, that he was being totally misused and that if he was put with more talented players, he would perform much better. So long as Therrien keeps him with Malkin and Staal, I can see him getting close to 20 goals and 45-50 points when it's all said and done. I'll certainly take that.

It was a tough loss yesterday, but hey, you and I both predicted that they'd hit a snag up there. Every point they get is precious, as we head down the stretch toward the playoffs.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #886
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Anyways....

Good read SCM on the month of March for the Penguins. While it's only Feb. 5, hopefully the young guys step it up late and keep those legs moving come March. Tough schedule coming up in March.

Grueling March schedule will test Penguins

By Guy Junker
FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 5, 2007

Mark Recchi turned 39 last Thursday, which is young for many things in life but not for playing professional hockey.
Yet, Recchi seems to have found a fountain of youth this season. The question is, how effective will he be when the Penguins' schedule becomes absolutely brutal in March?

The Pens begin the month with eight games in 14 days. In mid-month, they play five games in seven days. That stretch comes in the middle of playing 11 games in 19 days.

That will be hard on a veteran like Recchi, and young players such as Jordan Staal and Evgeni Malkin haven't endured the grind of an 82-game schedule. Staal played 66 and 68 games the past two seasons in Peterborough, and Malkin has averaged only 43 games the past three years in Russia -- or 59 games per year if you count international play.

Young legs can fatigue as easily as old legs. Plus, both goaltenders will have to be used to stay fresh. Jocelyn Thibault could become a crucial player.

That's why if the Penguins are going to make a playoff run, they need to be in a good position before they play 17 games in March. It will be harder to play as well then as they are now.

* One NHL statistic I'd like see is penalties drawn. Before Sunday's games, the Penguins were third in the NHL in power-play opportunities and their power play was fourth best in the league. The combination is great. They get plenty of chances and convert often.

Sidney Crobsy draws a lot of penalties, and it really puts the opposition in a dilemma. They either have to stop him legally, which is impossible to do for long. Or, they must face a lethal power play.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491776.html
Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #887
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
That's the problem though - some fans expect him to be a 50-goal scorer and won't accept anything less than that. But the guy has put up solid numbers this season - 11 goals, 19 assists, 30 pts. and is just a -1 for the season, again, despite playing most of the year on the 3rd line. OK, so he's scored 8 of his goals on the power play, but they count just the same. I even said that he had no business being on the 3rd line, that he was being totally misused and that if he was put with more talented players, he would perform much better. So long as Therrien keeps him with Malkin and Staal, I can see him getting close to 20 goals and 45-50 points when it's all said and done. I'll certainly take that.

It was a tough loss yesterday, but hey, you and I both predicted that they'd hit a snag up there. Every point they get is precious, as we head down the stretch toward the playoffs.
XT - I know. Yes - Ouellet has put up decent numbers and as I said, I have no problem with his performance, especially most recently. I didn't have unreasonable expectations of him going into the season and as long as he is doing his part, which I believe he is - he is a-OK in my book.

Yes, it was a very tough loss, but they had to have a bit of a letdown as good as they've been playing. I wonder if we'll see Thibault tomorrow night in goal against the Predators?

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #888
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #889
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
lol, I hear ya. Scary.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #890
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

*pin drops*....

Mario Lemieux? Governor Rendell? Mr. Burkle? You guys still there?