Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #891
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

I love this time of year in the NHL. Trade rumors flying around and we actually have the money to spend (not saying we should). For the first time in a long time we are not dumping players. Anyways.....

Trade rumor flying around...

"Adrian Aucoin: Will be traded. To who? Pittsburgh. For what? Brooks Orpik, and a 4th rounder. He's a solid defensive player, and will help a team like Pittsburgh alot. Pittsburgh can afford him, actually probably 5 or 6 Aucoins, but they don't need that many."

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/mod......le&sid=8132
Old 02-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #892
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

TOP 25 AVAILABLE PLAYERS FOR TRADE

With the trade deadline quickly approaching (Feb. 27, 2007), TFP outlines some of the top names rumored to be available for trade.

As part of TFP's Trade Deadline Coverage, this page will be updated daily and TFP's Panel of Experts will offer ring in regularly, offering their two-cents.

1. Peter Forsberg, C (PHI)

Now that Forsberg has waived his no-trade clause, the biddings are have begun. Many teams will trying to acquire him, and the rumors will increase on a daily basis.
Salary: $5,750,000 | Age: 33 Speculated Teams Showing Interested: Anaheim, Montreal, Detroit, NY Rangers, Toronto, Vancouver, Colorado, Nashville, Atlanta, San Jose, Carolina NOT YET TRADED

2. Todd Bertuzzi, LW (FLA)

A UFA this summer, Bertuzzi will draw some interest before the trade deadline. Despite being currently injured, teams would love to get their hands on him for a playoff run.
Salary: $5,269,080 | Age: 31 --- NOT YET TRADED

3. Ladislav Nagy, LW (PHX)

Various reports suggest Nagy isn't interested in re-signing with the Coyotes this summer, prompting speculation that he'll be dealt to a Cup contender.
Salary: $3,000,000 | Age: 27 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Montreal, NY Rangers, Toronto NOT YET TRADED

4. Shane Doan, RW (PHX)

Despite the Coyotes offering Doan a new contract, he's still attracting interest from many clubs across the league.
Salary: $3,382,000 | Age:30 Detroit NOT YET TRADED

5. Keith Tkachuk, LW (STL)

TK has a no-trade clause, however it's believed he'd be willing to waive it in order to go to a Cup contender.
Salary: $3,800,000 | Age: 34 Dallas, NY Rangers, Carolina NOT YET TRADED

6. Brad Stuart, D (BOS)

Reports claim the B's are having a tough time trying to re-sign Stuart to an extension. If the two sides do not agree to a new deal by the deadline, he'll likely get moved.
Salary: $2,400,000 | Age: 27 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Edmonton, Carolina, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Vancouver, Calgary NOT YET TRADED

7. Bill Guerin, RW (STL)

Like his teammates, Tkachuk, Guerin is set to be a UFA this summer and also has a no-trade clause. The Blues' lone All-Star could fetch a decent return if dealt.
Salary: $2,000,000 | Age: 36 NY Islanders, Vancouver NOT YET TRADED

8. Adrian Aucoin, D (CHI)

The Blackhawks are supposedly shopping their top defenseman and want some youth in return. His high salary, though, might prevent a deal from going down.
Salary: $4,000,000 | Age: 33 Montreal NOT YET TRADED

9. Mats Sundin, C (TOR)

The Leafs are expected to pick up the team option on Sundin's contract, and if they do, rumors should stop. Ducks GM Brian Burke flat out denied having any interest in Sundin.
Salary: $7,600,000 | Age: 35 --- NOT YET TRADED

10. Eric Brewer, D (STL)

Brewer's very popular lately, as many teams have called the Blues asking about his availability. With the Blues' recent surge, though, the team may try to re-sign him.
Salary: $2,014,000 | Age: 27 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Edmonton, Atlanta, Boston, Carolina, Nashville NOT YET TRADED

11. Darcy Tucker, LW (TOR)

Tucker and the Leafs are negotiating a contract extension. He'll be a UFA this July and says he wants to remain a Leaf. Nevertheless, the rumors continue.
Salary: $1,596,000 | Age: 31 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Calgary, Edmonton, Dallas, San Jose NOT YET TRADED

12. Craig Conroy, C (LA)

The Kings have been dangling Conroy for some time. His experience could benefit many playoff-bound teams.
Salary: $2,394,000 | Age: 35 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Calgary, Montreal, Atlanta TRADED TO CALGARY
(Jan. 29)

13. Gary Roberts, LW (FLA)

Reports out of South Florida claim Roberts is willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to a contender.
Salary: $2,250,000 | Age: 40 Toronto, Dallas NOT YET TRADED

14. Bryan Smolinski, C (CHI)

The Hawks are shopping this veteran center and there appears to be a few teams interested. Many scouts have appeared at Chicago's latest games.
Salary: $1,520,000 | Age: 35 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Montreal, Atlanta, Anaheim, NY Islanders, Carolina NOT YET TRADED

15. Nick Boynton, D (PHX)

If the Coyotes fall out of playoff race, the team could really clean house. Not only could they move Doan and Nagy, but Boynton's an option, as well, who is drawing much interest.
Salary: $2,950,000 | Age: 28 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: San Jose, Nashville NOT YET TRADED

16. Martin Rucinsky, RW (STL)

Rucinsky is among the few Blues players signed into next season. The Rangers keep knocking on St. Louis' door, hoping to reunite him with Jaromir Jagr.
Salary: $1,750,000 | Age: 35 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: NY Rangers NOT YET TRADED

17. Marco Sturm, LW (BOS)

The Bruins could opt to deal Sturm rather than risk losing him for nothing via free agency.
Salary: $2,100,000 | Age: 28 --- NOT YET TRADED

18. Aaron Miller, D (LA)

The Kings are expected to clean house and Miller could be the next to go. He would bring solid value and experience to a Cup contender's blueline.
Salary: $2,280,000 | Age: 35 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Atlanta, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Dallas NOT YET TRADED

19. Jason Blake, C (NYI)

The Isles say they want to keep him and sign him to an extension, but rumors continue to suggest otherwise.
Salary: $1,558,000 | Age: 33 --- NOT YET TRADED

20. Jozef Stumpel, C (FLA)

This veteran's experience could help a playoff-bound team down the stretch and the Panthers are supposedly shopping him.
Salary: $1,750,000 | Age: 34 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Atlanta NOT YET TRADED

21. Brent Sopel, D (LA)

Sopel is among the available defensemen surfacing around the NHL and could bring the Kings a solid return. He's also set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
Salary: $2,400,000 | Age: 30 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Pittsburgh, Dallas NOT YET TRADED

22. Fredrik Modin, LW (CBJ)

Modin, who can become an unrestricted free agent this summer, is being shopped by the Blue Jackets, according to reports.
Salary: $2,204,000 | Age: 32 --- NOT YET TRADED

23. Joe Corvo, D (OTT)

Reports out of Ottawa suggest the Senators are shopping Corvo in hopes of swapping him for another defenseman.
Salary: $2,500,000 | Age: 29 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Edmonton NOT YET TRADED

24. Richard Zednik, LW (WAS)

Zednik will be an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Capitals are trying to move him.
Salary: $1,976,000 | Age: 31 --- NOT YET TRADED

25. Sergei Samsonov, LW (MTL)

Samsonov's salary (and horrible season) could prevent a deal from happening, however the Habs are trying to package him for a top-level player.
Salary: $3,525,000 | Age: 28 Speculated Teams Showing Interest: Chicago, Philadelphia NOT YET TRADED

Notable mentions rumored to be on the trade block

Sean Avery (LA) TRADED TO NYR
Anson Carter (CBJ)
Pascal Dupuis (MIN)
Radek Dvorak (STL)
Chris Gratton (FLA)
Martin Lapointe (CHI)
Ryan Malone (PIT)
Brendan Morrison (VAN)
Vaclav Prospal (TB)
Petr Prucha (NYR)
Geoff Sanderson (PHI)
Mike York (PHI)
Jassen Cullimore (CHI)
Derian Hatcher (PHI)
Andrew Hutchinson (CAR)
Ken Klee (COL)
Derek Morris (PHX)
Janne Niinimaa (MTL)
David Tanabe (CAR)
Mike Van Ryn (FLA)
Ossi Vaananen (COL)
David Aebischer (MTL)
Robert Esche (PHI)
Mathieu Garon (LA)
Jose Theodore (COL)

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade.../topnames.html

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-06-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #893
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Maybe we can get people for Malone if they decide that his time in Pittsburgh is done. I hope they keep Malone though. It would be nice to see one of the youngest Pittsburgh born hockey products win one with the Penguins.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 02-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #894
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Maybe we can get people for Malone if they decide that his time in Pittsburgh is done. I hope they keep Malone though. It would be nice to see one of the youngest Pittsburgh born hockey products win one with the Penguins.
I would love nothing more than to see a Pittsburgh born player prosper in the NHL, but Malone has been playing on that top line for how long now (if not on one, then on two) and he's still not producing on the level in which I believe the Penguins were expecting. The kid is on the rumor block year after year it appears that this year is no different.

Toronto and Boston are the two teams I keep hearing about who have interest in Malone. We shall see SCM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #895
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I would love nothing more than to see a Pittsburgh born player prosper in the NHL, but Malone has been playing on that top line for how long now (if not on one, then on two) and he's still not producing on the level in which I believe the Penguins were expecting. The kid is on the rumor block year after year it appears that this year is no different.

Toronto and Boston are the two teams I keep hearing about who have interest in Malone. We shall see SCM.
We Shall See is right. No Doubt about that 83.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 02-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #896
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
XT - I know. Yes - Ouellet has put up decent numbers and as I said, I have no problem with his performance, especially most recently. I didn't have unreasonable expectations of him going into the season and as long as he is doing his part, which I believe he is - he is a-OK in my book.

Yes, it was a very tough loss, but they had to have a bit of a letdown as good as they've been playing. I wonder if we'll see Thibault tomorrow night in goal against the Predators?
My guess is that Therrien comes back with Fleury against Nashville - Sunday's game notwithstanding, he's been one of the hotter goalies in the league the past couple of weeks and the Pens have the best chance of beating the Preds with him in goal. However, with the Pens' schedule about to get more grueling, Thibault will be called upon quite a bit in order to give MAF some rest before the final playoff push. In fact, I see him in goal vs. Philly on Thursday night, then MAF back in between the pipes in Toronto on Saturday night.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:33 AM   #897
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

GM Shero's former team is running at full speed

Tuesday, February 06, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With Nashville hitting town, Penguins general manager Ray Shero invited his former boss, Predators general manager David Poile, out to dinner last night, wives included.

"I didn't tell them how cold it was here. Buyer beware," Shero said slyly yesterday.

By all accounts, the two have a long and warm relationship. Shero spent the previous eight seasons as Poile's right-hand man with the Predators. That doesn't mean they will be sharing team secrets in advance of their game tonight at Mellon Arena -- not that they could tell one another much they didn't already know.

Shero worked closely with Poile, who has built Nashville from a fledgling expansion club in 1998-99 to a speedy, solid team that took over the top spot in the NHL standings nearly three weeks ago.

The Predators are an amalgam of their draft picks and players acquired through free agency, trades and waivers.

Although their leading scorer, winger Paul Kariya, is 26 points behind NHL leader Sidney Crosby of the Penguins, the Predators have eight players with 10 or more goals and are second in the NHL with 186 goals and an average of 3.44 per game. Yet they are stingy enough defensively to rank seventh at 2.50 goals against per game.

They are deep enough that their second line consists of Steve Sullivan, whose 10-game points streak has tied the franchise record he set last season; center Jason Arnott, who has a four-game goals streak and seven-game points streak; and J.P. Dumont, who has a career-high 32 assists, including five over his past six games.

"They look really legit," Penguins defenseman Rob Scuderi said. "The conference is so much better and they're still dominating, so that says a lot."

Finding and developing the right players helped Nashville finish above .500 for the first time and make the playoffs in 2003-04. The Predators won a franchise-best 38 games last season and again made the playoffs.

Although Nashville had disappointing first-round exits each of the past two springs, the improvement is unmistakable.

It's a model Shero, nine months into his first GM job, envisions for the Penguins, who are solidly in the playoff hunt and, at 8-0-2 in their past 10 games, are playing their best hockey in years.

"The way I wanted to try to build this team is through every avenue," Shero said. "You look at Nashville or Anaheim, that's the way it's done. You utilize everything you can.

"Nashville has speed up front, a good puck-moving defense and they're getting good goaltending. They've got the most points for a reason."

Barry Trotz, the only coach Nashville has had, said Shero deserves some credit for that and can be expected to help create the same sort of rise with the Penguins.

"I think Ray within the organization had a big hand in it with David Poile," Trotz said.

"I think a lot of the things that he's instituted in Pittsburgh are things that we've done here. I think he's done a great job finding a balance of young guys."

The Penguins, who canceled practice yesterday after playing three games in four days and four games in six days, aren't at Nashville's level yet, but they will get a chance to see how they stack up against the NHL's best club.

"We'll play simple," Penguins winger Mark Recchi said. "We know they have a lot of speed. They have very well-balanced scoring, and they have some good young [defensemen], so we're going to have to be ready."

The Penguins have a bit of an advantage in Shero, who can offer some insight on the Predators.

"I would expect him to trade some secrets to his coach and to the people there because he's very competitive," Trotz said.

Shero admitted he would help out as much as he can, but he's confident the Penguins can handle things without the inside information.

"I think we match up well with any team," he said. "Hopefully, part of our success is not worrying about the other team but worrying about ourselves."

Shero doesn't have to worry about divided loyalties very often. With the NHL's schedule parameters, the Penguins of the Eastern Conference and Predators of the Western Conference play just two games over three seasons. This is their only meeting this season.

"It's great to see they're having such a good year," Shero said of Nashville. "With due respect to all my friends there, I'm cheering for one team [tonight], and that's Pittsburgh."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07037/759763-61.stm

Sadly, I see the Pens getting handed tonight - Nashville is too tough a team for them to play against right now.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:44 AM   #898
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

No reason Pens shouldn't make the postseason

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The Penguins are not going to go 8-0-2 in every 10-game segment the rest of the way, but nor are the Penguins going to go away.

Barring a catastrophic injury to an irreplaceable player -- and there seem to be more of those emerging each week -- the Penguins are a playoff team as we speak.

Experience the evolution?

They've evolved.

There remains a tremendous potential upside waiting to be realized, and that isn't about to happen this spring. So it isn't time to position Ray Shero on an aircraft carrier in front of a banner just yet.

But reaching the postseason this year is an attainable goal, to the extent that the Penguins ought to feel as if they've let something slip away in the event they aren't playing beyond the first week of April.

And that couldn't be said with any degree of certainty or credibility back in October.

The reasons it can be uttered aloud now include, in no particular order:

• The growth of goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury from a prospect who had a frustrating habit of playing just well enough to lose by either a 2-1 or 6-5 count into a professional capable of making the key save no matter the circumstances.

• The emergence of Sidney Crosby as the NHL's best player, Evgeni Malkin as the NHL's best rookie and Jordan Staal as potentially the top goal-scoring rookie not named Evgeni Malkin.

• The re-emergence of Mark Eaton as a role-playing difference-maker on the blueline and as the perfect complement to Sergei Gonchar.

• The development of Ryan Whitney into the combustible offensive defenseman the Penguins envisioned when they drafted him fifth overall in 2002.

• The discovery by Mark Recchi along the way to 500 goals that 39 is apparently the new 29 on ice. The stat sheet will attest to that.

But these Penguins have also achieved significant advances intangibly, which have become components as integral in their metamorphosis as their fourth-ranked power play.

Their camaraderie has inspired a heightened sense of competitiveness.

Their togetherness has spawned a much-improved team toughness.

And their coaching staff, through trial and error, has discovered the right buttons to push to help allow it all to come together ahead of schedule.

These Penguins will need all of the above to finish the job, particularly in March when they cash in their games-in-hand on the rest of the Eastern Conference while playing an agonizing 17 times in 31 days.

They might even need the juiced-up offensive contributions from Ryan Malone and/or Colby Armstrong they've been waiting on to survive that gauntlet.

Then again, they might not.

If the first 52 games have revealed anything, it's that the Penguins have proven to be as resourceful as they are resolute.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491884.html
Old 02-06-2007, 01:58 AM   #899
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Here you go, HTG - a good article expanding on the point I made about Fleury's recent play...

Confident Fleury behind Penguins' recent streak

By Karen Price
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Marc-Andre Fleury smiles sheepishly when asked about his outstanding play in recent weeks.

The Penguins' goaltender is his usual attention-deflecting self, turning praise toward his teammates for clearing rebounds and blocking shots to make his job easy, then says he's just taking it one game at a time.

"The most important thing is to win," Fleury said. "That's what we want."

Thanks in large part to Fleury, the Penguins have been doing a lot of that lately.

Although they lost to the Montreal Canadiens in overtime Sunday to end their season-high winning streak at six games, the Penguins still have points in 10 consecutive games (8-0-2) dating to Jan. 13. By collecting 18 out of a possible 20 points, the Penguins have catapulted from the outside looking in to sixth place in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

The Penguins have 30 games remaining, beginning with tonight's home game against the NHL-leading Nashville Predators.

Fleury, 22, has played in nine of those 10 games, compiling a 7-0-2 record and allowing 22 goals on 293 shots for a .924 save percentage. The Penguins were outshot in all but two of the nine games.

"He's been unbelievable," Penguins rookie center Jordan Staal said. "He's kept us in every game, and that's what good goaltenders do. When we scored three goals, he tried to keep them at two. He's been there for us, and that's why we're winning."

Fleury's 24 wins this year tie him with the Buffalo Sabres' Ryan Miller, the Atlanta Thrashers' Kari Lehtonen and the Toronto Maple Leafs' Andrew Raycroft for seventh-most in the NHL. The New Jersey Devils' Martin Brodeur leads the league with 32 wins.

The No. 1 pick overall in 2003, Fleury also has played in 43 games this season -- seven fewer than all of last year -- but he already has 11 more wins. Entering the season, he was 17-41-8 in 71 career NHL games.

Fleury doesn't feel like he's doing anything different lately. He said he's full of confidence and relaxed on the ice, and that he stays calm even after he gives up a goal.

Still, teammate Ryan Malone, one of the few holdovers on the team from when Fleury made his debut in 2003-04, has noticed some differences in the goaltender this year.

"I think he always had confidence, but I think when he first came in the league he was almost too quick," Malone said. "The more he's played the more he's gotten used to speed of the puck. He almost had to slow down. He was a great goalie, but he maybe had to get better at reading the plays. He's a lot more patient, and he's making the saves when he has to. He's going to be a great goalie."

He's certainly getting there.

Since the Christmas break, in the most consistent stretch of his young career, Fleury is 10-3-3 with a 2.20 goals-against average, a .928 save percentage and three shutouts in 16 games.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, his goals-against average and save percentage are both sixth-lowest among goaltenders who've played at least 10 games over that same period, his three shutouts are tied for third most and his 10 wins are tied for fourth most.

"He's always had some great games; it was just a matter of putting a lot of them together," Malone said. "He's definitely stepped his game up. I think that everyone on the team is trying to take their game to the next level."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491882.html
Old 02-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #900
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

GM Shero's former team is running at full speed
Tuesday, February 06, 2007

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With Nashville hitting town, Penguins general manager Ray Shero invited his former boss, Predators general manager David Poile, out to dinner last night, wives included.

"I didn't tell them how cold it was here. Buyer beware," Shero said slyly yesterday.

By all accounts, the two have a long and warm relationship. Shero spent the previous eight seasons as Poile's right-hand man with the Predators. That doesn't mean they will be sharing team secrets in advance of their game tonight at Mellon Arena -- not that they could tell one another much they didn't already know.

Shero worked closely with Poile, who has built Nashville from a fledgling expansion club in 1998-99 to a speedy, solid team that took over the top spot in the NHL standings nearly three weeks ago.

The Predators are an amalgam of their draft picks and players acquired through free agency, trades and waivers.

Although their leading scorer, winger Paul Kariya, is 26 points behind NHL leader Sidney Crosby of the Penguins, the Predators have eight players with 10 or more goals and are second in the NHL with 186 goals and an average of 3.44 per game. Yet they are stingy enough defensively to rank seventh at 2.50 goals against per game.

They are deep enough that their second line consists of Steve Sullivan, whose 10-game points streak has tied the franchise record he set last season; center Jason Arnott, who has a four-game goals streak and seven-game points streak; and J.P. Dumont, who has a career-high 32 assists, including five over his past six games.

"They look really legit," Penguins defenseman Rob Scuderi said. "The conference is so much better and they're still dominating, so that says a lot."

Finding and developing the right players helped Nashville finish above .500 for the first time and make the playoffs in 2003-04. The Predators won a franchise-best 38 games last season and again made the playoffs.

Although Nashville had disappointing first-round exits each of the past two springs, the improvement is unmistakable.

It's a model Shero, nine months into his first GM job, envisions for the Penguins, who are solidly in the playoff hunt and, at 8-0-2 in their past 10 games, are playing their best hockey in years.

"The way I wanted to try to build this team is through every avenue," Shero said. "You look at Nashville or Anaheim, that's the way it's done. You utilize everything you can.

"Nashville has speed up front, a good puck-moving defense and they're getting good goaltending. They've got the most points for a reason."

Barry Trotz, the only coach Nashville has had, said Shero deserves some credit for that and can be expected to help create the same sort of rise with the Penguins.

"I think Ray within the organization had a big hand in it with David Poile," Trotz said.

"I think a lot of the things that he's instituted in Pittsburgh are things that we've done here. I think he's done a great job finding a balance of young guys."

The Penguins, who canceled practice yesterday after playing three games in four days and four games in six days, aren't at Nashville's level yet, but they will get a chance to see how they stack up against the NHL's best club.

"We'll play simple," Penguins winger Mark Recchi said. "We know they have a lot of speed. They have very well-balanced scoring, and they have some good young [defensemen], so we're going to have to be ready."

The Penguins have a bit of an advantage in Shero, who can offer some insight on the Predators.

"I would expect him to trade some secrets to his coach and to the people there because he's very competitive," Trotz said.

Shero admitted he would help out as much as he can, but he's confident the Penguins can handle things without the inside information.

"I think we match up well with any team," he said. "Hopefully, part of our success is not worrying about the other team but worrying about ourselves."

Shero doesn't have to worry about divided loyalties very often. With the NHL's schedule parameters, the Penguins of the Eastern Conference and Predators of the Western Conference play just two games over three seasons. This is their only meeting this season.

"It's great to see they're having such a good year," Shero said of Nashville. "With due respect to all my friends there, I'm cheering for one team [tonight], and that's Pittsburgh."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07037/759763-61.stm