Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #941
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Personally, I don't want to see a trade of any kind. Why mess with something that's working? We are rolling over four lines beautifully and I really don't see the point in bringing in a goon in order to mess that up. We have a pack mentality.

We don't like players going after Sid? Take out the opposing teams best man. See how they like it. At this point, I wouldn't change a thing. I don't think fighting changes much of anything in the new NHL. Hitting/checking does. Pens vs Habs game. The Habs took liberties. Armstrong laid out Koivu and we end up with a 10 minute PP in which we scored two PP goals. After scoring those two goals I can't imagine many on that Hab roster thinking to themselves "Boy, that was smart of us to go after Sid like that" while also watching their star player laid out on the ice courtesy of Colby Armstrong. I'll take that over two goons punching each other in the head. Don't get me wrong, I love a good fight, but between the pack mentality (fight or crush their best man) and our lethal PP I'll be more than happy to take what we have right now.

Just my opinion but I guess we will see if Shero goes out and picks up a goon in the next 19 days.

well, if someone takes out Crosby.......

getting the goon will say to the other teams....we'll beat you on the board and if you try something cheap you pay for it with your own blood also.

ya gotta protect Crosby.

I also think getting Fedoruk can play a bit also.
get him.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #942
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I like Molinari's take on the issue, along with Savern's and Pompeani's (http://kdka.com/video/?cid=9 go to sports) which are similar....

Q: Why don't the Pens try to pick themselves up a goon before the trading deadline? Andre Roy seemed to fit the role, but was rarely used. How effective could a guy like Derian Hatcher, for example, be to protect our young stars on the ice? I give Jarkko Ruutu, Ryan Malone and Armstrong credit, but they hardly are intimidating. I'm sick of seeing Sid taking punishing blows and nobody seems to be paying for them.

Dave Shetler, Hollsopple, Pa.

MOLINARI: Andre Roy was rarely used -- and eventually waived -- because the Penguins decided he couldn't play well enough to take a regular shift, and they don't have the luxury of giving a spot in the lineup to a guy who isn't able to do that. Very few teams do.

The ability to play four lines regularly has been an important element in the Penguins' recent run, and that wouldn't be practical if they were dressing some troglodyte who couldn't contribute anything more than a hard right cross. While toughness is a terrific asset for any player, with the renewed emphasis on skill in the post-lockout NHL, it has to be combined with ability. Picking up a guy who's an accomplished fighter would be fine, but he has to be able to do more with his stick than shatter it over someone's skull.

Believing that tough guys should be able to play, it should be noted, is not a universal sentiment. There are a lot of people -- many working behind microphones and notepads -- who still think that a splash of testosterone and a shower of fists is the only conceivable response to any show of aggressiveness by an opponent. Imagine how surprised those folks will be when word reaches them that the earth isn't flat.

As for making opponents "pay" for their actions, which of these would have represented a higher cost for Montreal: Having Souray absorb a few punches from some knuckle-dragger in retaliation for his attack on Armstrong, or the two goals the Penguins scored during the seven minutes of power plays Souray's actions gave them?

The answer to that one should be obvious to almost everyone. And the rest presumably will get it if Montreal loses home-ice advantage in the playoffs -- or even fails to qualify -- because of the point it lost when the Penguins scored those goals.

What's more, the referees have to take some responsibility for protecting players. It's not that Crosby, or anyone else, deserves special treatment, but spears and high sticks like the ones he's gotten in recent games are flat-out violations of the rules, no matter who is on the receiving end. If the officials see such infractions, they have an obligation to call them. And if they make a habit of not seeing them, the league has an obligation to steer those guys into another line of work.

Finally, Crosby can count on receiving physical punishment -- sometimes legal, sometimes not -- from opponents for the balance of his career, because of the way he plays. He doesn't just make an occasional cameo appearance in high-traffic areas; he goes there by design, and thrives. He knows he will be challenged, and hit, when he gets around the other team's net, but accepts that as the price that must be paid for goals and assists and victories. Blend that mind-set with his skill level, conditioning and strength, and it becomes easier to understand how he has become dominant at age 19.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07040/760523-125.stm

I also enjoyed Damien Cox's article pertaining to Crosby and the need for "protection"....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ien&id=2758528

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-10-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #943
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Maple Leafs : 0

Jordan Staal: 2
Old 02-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #944
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

That kind of mentality is exactly what's wrong with the game today. They obviously don't understand the difference between a "goon" and an "enforcer." Goons do all of the stuff they point out. Enforcers are there to stick up for their players and make sure that the goons and people like Lapierre who take runs and cheap shots at their teammates pay the price for it. Any self-respecting hockey fan understands that fundamental difference. They also would not be a fan or at least respect a team like the Ducks, who leads the NHL with 52 fighting majors and whose GM is on record as saying that he will never field a team without an enforcer. And the last time I checked, they are at the top of their division with a real chance at winning the Cup. They play the game the way it used to be played, and should be played - speed, skill and toughness in spades. A guy like Fedoruk or Georges Laraque would be perfect for the Pens, because they've both shown that they can take a regular shift and not hurt you out there - hell, Laraque has 20 points and is a +4 for the season while playing on the 4th line in Phoenix. Therrien certainly wouldn't mind that.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #945
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

lol,

Well, we get the two goals and then we take back to back penalties. Gotta stay out of that box. We are playing fine 5 on 5 guys. Let's go!!!

Man Ouellet is so close to scoring. Kid could have had a HT by now. Blown chances (2 in the first, 1 in the second).
Old 02-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #946
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Malkin makes it 3-0 Penguins on the PP assisted by who else? Sid. Nice shot by Geno.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #947
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

And just to hammer home my point, look at what just happened to Colby Armstrong courtesy of Hal Gill. And we don't need an enforcer....riiiiiiiiight....
Old 02-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #948
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

LOL, I LOVE IT.

Colby got a cheap shot by Gill (no penalty) and Colby fought back. Nice. Way to not put up with any **** Army. Hats off brother. Keep scoring those goals boys!!! Beat'em where it counts.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #949
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Uh-oh, somebody breakout the kleenex and diapers, Sundin is upset.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #950
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

3-1 Leafs score. That's fine boys. Bounce back and get it back.

Leafs take a penalty and the Pens are on the PP.