Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #9491
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
I gotta admit, I'm a bit jealous that you and HTG get to go to so many games, X-T. I would love to be in Pittsburgh and to be able to go to Pens games on a regular basis. Heck, I'd be in heaven just to be able to see one game live, since I've never seen them play in person.

Hopefully, Sid has a huge game since the Habs were his idols during childhood. Maybe it will add some umph to his game and he will find a way to light it up big time. Make sure to wear a Pens cap, maybe Sid will have a hat trick, never know.

Again I'm jealous, would love to be at Mellon to toss a cap after a hatty. Especially one last time at the arena that holds so many memories. I bet if I was there I could fling a cap like nobody's business.

Enjoy the game, I'll be watching from home and hoping it's a thriller knowing you both will be there.
We'd love to throw a hat on the ice after a HT, but we're too far away, unfortunately. I'd probably get to B level, but that's about it Sid had a hat trick in the first Habs game, which we attended - maybe he can do it again tomorrow night!

We've shared a half-season ticket plan since the lockout (hard to believe that this is our 5th season together as STH's - where has the time gone?), and I'm glad we did - it is so much better and so much more fun going to games with your best friend rather than by yourself, which I did the first 5 seasons I was a STH.

Anyway, that sucks that you've never seen them play live - the experience is awesome when the fans really get revved up (probably won't be Wednesday though - crowds for games around the holidays tend to be quiet for whatever reason). Don't know where you live, but I hope you're able to get to a game before Mellon closes its doors for good. We're going to miss the old barn - lots of memories in there - but at the same time, we're looking forward to moving into the new digs across the street next season.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #9492
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

I live in California, and unfortunately I've never made it to Pittsburgh, yet, in my lifetime.

Makes me sad to say that I also won't be making it to Pittsburgh in time to experience a game at Mellon arena before the doors close on an arena that holds so many memories. To me it's a concrete and steel memory keeper, even though I've only experienced it through television. I fell in love with hockey in that arena years ago and it makes me sick that I'll never know the feeling of being there in person. I know I'll always regret that even though I know I won't make the same mistake with the new arena. I will be there one day, Heinz field too.

And god I can't wait til that day comes. I'll be so giddy I won't know what to do with myself. I can't wait until I make it home to be among my teams and my people!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #9493
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

..... we just got back from Sunrise (Miami) after last evening's game, after staying at a Hawthorne Suites hotel (very-nice, king-size bed, non-smoking room, w/pooche, for $119, out-the-door)

Pens were out-played badly thru 2 periods of play, looking very tired, although Flower looked good

Bank Atlantic is a nice place, on the edge of the Everglades, and easy to get into (free parking) and out-of following games:
no 'character', but fan-friendly

Talbot's timing looked-off, as it should be, missing so-much time..... did he, or Dupuis, get the initial goal?

Penguin jerseys out-numbered Panther sweaters outside the rink, but once inside, I think there were more Florida gear worn

Guins' D-men allowed Florida to penetrate the zone easily, and rarely stepped-up while defending the blue-line:
Gonch made an exception to this in the 3rd period with a poke-check, causing an off-sides whistle, and my fiancee said "that was a nice play..... is that what you mean by 'stepping-up' "

When the Guins tied the score, the Pittsburgh faithful in the crowd came to life, and made as-much noise as the Panther fans had earlier:
the Panthers have the LAMEST set of cheer-leaders in the League, barely showing enthusiasm or moving during their routines

Vokoun stood on his head, robbing Malkin twice

comfy seats at Bank Atlantic, and ours were 5' behind the goal-line to Fleury's Left in the 1st & 3rd periods:
never had a fan sit behind me, talking feverishly about the game in Spanish before.....

Pens were lucky to be in the game, but their domination in the 3rd was enough to force OT, then fortunate to win in extra-time
Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #9494
Shea
Head Coach

http://22minutes.com/index.php?page=video#header

Gotta scroll down to see Sid's video. Poor guy, looked like he didn't know what to make of this guy or the situation.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #9495
Shea
Head Coach

3-1 Pens win!
HTG and XT - hope you both enjoyed the game tonight at Mellon.

Was glad to see Gonch get a goal since he seems to be HTG's favorite. And Sid's assist on that goal was a beauty.

Was a bit bummed that XT's favorite, Skoula , didn't find the net though. I do believe he had an assist in the game, so that's something. Ah well, there's always next time.......
Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #9496
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
3-1 Pens win!
HTG and XT - hope you both enjoyed the game tonight at Mellon.

Was glad to see Gonch get a goal since he seems to be HTG's favorite. And Sid's assist on that goal was a beauty.

Was a bit bummed that XT's favorite, Skoula , didn't find the net though. I do believe he had an assist in the game, so that's something. Ah well, there's always next time.......
We did enjoy it, as always! Very businesslike effort from the team tonight - nothing fancy, just played Penguins hockey for 60 minutes and wore the Habs down. The Habs didn't really have much despite their goal, but they were really dominated in the 2nd period. After Guerin scored, the Pens took the game over.

Yes, Gonchar is HTG's favorite, and yes, she went nuts when he scored. She even called his shot, so to speak, before the game

Skoula got an assist on Gonchar's goal...dammit! Seriously though, he's played pretty well over the past several games and maybe his struggles were due to not playing at all at the beginning of the season and getting acclimated to Bylsma's system since he was signed at the end of training camp. Hopefully he keeps it up - we need him playing well since it's still about 2-3 weeks until all of our regular D-men are healthy.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #9497
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Habs had nothing - I thought they were better than this. Fleury was just showing off his glove hand.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #9498
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Very businesslike effort from the team tonight - nothing fancy, just played Penguins hockey for 60 minutes and wore the Habs down.
I was listening to the Guins when the Toronto @ Tampa Bay game went to break on TV, and heard the Ol' 2-Niner say that a few times, late in the game

Old 11-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #9499
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Habs had nothing - I thought they were better than this. Fleury was just showing off his glove hand.
To be fair, the Habs were missing Andrei Markov, Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez, Andrei Kostitsyn and Hal Gill, so they were playing with a lot of minor leaguers, though they were unbeaten in their last 4 before last night.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #9500
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Matinee game today @ 2:00 in NY against the Isles. Last year the Pens were not very good in afternoon games, and this one could be the perfect storm for a less-than-optimal performance coming off the holiday and a big game against the Rags tomorrow night. Hopefully I'm wrong, and they will take care of business the way they did Wednesday night.