Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #9521
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Cooke suspended 2 games:

Definitely deserved. Typical Cooke cheap shot. As many know, I don't like the guy and didn't agree with the signing in the first place. This is just one of the reasons why.
Yes it was deserved. Yes it was a cheap shot. Every team has their cheap shot artist and Cookie is ours. Back in the day, teams hated Battleship Kelly and Durbano. A couple of years back, teams hated Kasperitis and in this day and age, teams hate Ruutu. However, when they were wearing Pens unis, we loved 'em. Personally, I like Cookie and his aggressive play - he works hard (when he's not cheaping someone) and when he's on the ice, he's hitting anything that moves out there.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 11-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #9522
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

That definitely was a great game last night, lots of goals for the Pens, and an overall really fun hockey game to watch.

I agree XT about the Ranger's goons. Would love to especially see Avery and his punk ass kicked out of the league. Was even surprised to see a Ranger try to go after Jordan. You'd think with Marc being on the Rangers that his brother would be off-limits, but that's hockey for you.

I loved the Happy Birthday chant for Flower.

I loved Sid's hatty on hat night at Mellon. (I wonder if the maintenance crew were cursing under their breath having to scoop up all those hats. )

I loved seeing the defensive players getting healthy and getting back on the ice.

And I love the fact that we get to see another match-up against them tomorrow night.

Hopefully it will be another ass kickin!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #9523
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Any word on Avery or Brashear?
Neither one got suspended, and honestly, neither of them should have been. They will both be made to answer tomorrow night, at least I'm hoping they are. Of course, Rangers fans think Fedotenko tried to slew foot Avery to justify him being jumped, but of course, that didn't happen. And Brashear...well, what pissed me off more than anything wasn't that he went after Cooke for the hit, it's that he clearly turned down Godard's invitation to fight and wouldn't answer the bell. That is why he gets very little respect from his peers and most fans. Even Rangers fans don't like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Yes it was deserved. Yes it was a cheap shot. Every team has their cheap shot artist and Cookie is ours. Back in the day, teams hated Battleship Kelly and Durbano. A couple of years back, teams hated Kasperitis and in this day and age, teams hate Ruutu. However, when they were wearing Pens unis, we loved 'em. Personally, I like Cookie and his aggressive play - he works hard (when he's not cheaping someone) and when he's on the ice, he's hitting anything that moves out there.
The difference between Battleship Kelly/Durbano and guys like Cooke is that they backed up their cheap shots and outright muggings with their fists. Kasparaitis just made a lot of huge hits and didn't care if you were a superstar or a plugger, and that's why he was hated so much. Lord knows he'd be suspended every week if he played today, with the way he hit guys back in the day. Ruutu has done a whole lot of cheap shit in his career, but again, he's willing to throw down. While Cooke did do the honorable thing and fight Callahan last night, it is NOT the norm for him. I don't like him, but I've accepted that he's wearing the skating penguin on his chest and acknowledge that when he isn't being cheap and dirty, he is an important part of the Pens' 3rd line. But I have to admit that I would not be sad if the Pens decide not to give him another contract after this season. I'd rather them try to sign Steve Ott away from Dallas - same kind of player, but is good for 10+ fights per year and regularly answers the bell for his dirty play.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #9524
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Speaking of suspensions, I agree and accept that Cooke should have been suspended for what he did. But does it chap anybody else's ass that Ovechkin never gets reprimanded for his antics and cheap shots?

He recently was ejected from a game for his crappy sportsmanship and thuggish behaviour, which is something, but the league needs to finally make a stance and show him he's not above the rules and his continued disregard for them. He needs to be suspended for his actions just as the rest of the players in the league. I say sit his ass like any other player behaving in the same manner, and quit coddling his ass just because he's a "superstar".
Old 11-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #9525
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Speaking of suspensions, I agree and accept that Cooke should have been suspended for what he did. But does it chap anybody else's ass that Ovechkin never gets reprimanded for his antics and cheap shots?

He recently was ejected from a game for his crappy sportsmanship and thuggish behaviour, which is something, but the league needs to finally make a stance and show him he's not above the rules and his continued disregard for them. He needs to be suspended for his actions just as the rest of the players in the league. I say sit his ass like any other player behaving in the same manner, and quit coddling his ass just because he's a "superstar".
People have been complaining for years about the clear double-standard the league has when it comes to handing out discipline. Ovechkin has repeatedly hit guys from behind and taken out guys with knee-on-knee hits, but because he's a superstar, he gets nothing more than a nod and wink. In his second season, he nearly killed Danny Briere with a hit from behind while Briere was with the Sabres. Got a major for boarding and a game misconduct. Briere missed several games with a concussion. Was Ovechkin suspended? No, of course not. We all remember the dirty knee-on-knee hit on Gonchar in the playoffs, for which he got a fine and a "stern talking-to" from the league, who said that if he did something like that again, he'd be suspended. Well, he recently slew-footed a player and got yet another boarding major and gamer against the Sabres last week, which you referenced. He got fined for the slew-foot; nothing at all for the board. Way to talk out of both sides of your mouth, NHL. He does anything he wants out there, even injure players, and he knows that the league will never suspend him because of who he is. Give me a break. No player is above the rules, whether it's Ovechkin or Crosby or Malkin.

I think this flowchart says it all about how the league thinks when it comes to suspensions. You may think this is a joke, and in some ways it is, but sadly, it is usually dead-on:

Last edited by X-Terminator; 11-30-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #9526
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

GOOOALLLLL!!! The next shift less than 30 seconds after a Gaborik goal Crosby with a huge backhander to tie the game up and give the momentum back with the Pens and shut this crowd up!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #9527
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

GOOALLLLL!!!! A set faceoff win by Staal and great pass to Rupp and another good back hander in the net to give the Pens a sweet 2 to 1 lead.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #9528
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

I'm watching the game on the MSG-tream, and they just showed a pair of interesting out-of-town highlights

#1 - Meunky smacked an opponent knee-on-knee, both players are hurt, but Meunky drew a 5 minute major and a game-misconduct

#2 - after surrendering a goal, Panther goalie Vokoun was on his knees when a frustrated defenseman swung his stick at the pipe, striking Vokoun in the head/neck, and he was helped off the ice

Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #9529
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Someone rip the stick out of Gaborik. He's the only reason why the Rags seem to be even in this game.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #9530
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
I'm watching the game on the MSG-tream, and they just showed a pair of interesting out-of-town highlights

#1 - Meunky smacked an opponent knee-on-knee, both players are hurt, but Meunky drew a 5 minute major and a game-misconduct

#2 - after surrendering a goal, Panther goalie Vokoun was on his knees when a frustrated defenseman swung his stick at the pipe, striking Vokoun in the head/neck, and he was helped off the ice

#1 - Now I want to see what the league does to the Caveman this time. That's his second major and gamer in less than a week. They almost have to suspend him now - they will look like absolute tools if they don't, at least more than they already are.

#2 - I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head at the sheer stupidity of Keith Ballard KOing his own goalie. That is NOT going to go over well in the locker room or the front office.