Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #971
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
You have to wonder how many times they actually have watched him play?
You have to wonder if these people have ever actually ever saw Sid get his teeth knocked out by Hatcher on a cheap hit or a spear by Blake or NUMEROUS clutchings by players who can't hang with him. But that's not the case. They do not watch him every night on FSN and see what this kid puts up with night after night. They see what they see on Canadian TV. GO FIGURE.

Like I said, it's jealousy. That's all it comes down to in my book. I wonder if these people would be singing the same tune if Crosby was wearing Leaf Blue and white or Canadien Red/Blue/White. I strongly doubt it.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-11-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #972
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I could say the same thing about your view of Crosby that you say about my comments on Ovechkin. But I won't. I happen to be a fan of Ovechkin - great player, and definitely deserved the Calder last season. I don't go around hating on him for some warped reason. And please, comparing Crosby to a jackass like Darcy Tucker is like comparing Hines Ward to Chris Henry in terms of character. An absolutely ridiculous comparison.

I do think it's funny that so many Canadians bash Crosby for being a whiner, but worship the ground that Wayne Gretzky walks on. He was a whiner and a diver during his heyday - but I guess that's OK because it's Wayne the God.

Yeah, I'm pretty damn bitter about this "Crosby is a whiner" sentiment - I don't deny that, especially when I see idiots actually wishing someone broke his neck and ends his career. I normally don't engage people because it really doesn't do any good - no one's minds are going to be changed. I just couldn't stand it anymore this morning so I had to speak up, but this is likely going to be my last post on this subject. Feel free to hate him all you want.
Bravo XT!

Quote:
I do think it's funny that so many Canadians bash Crosby for being a whiner, but worship the ground that Wayne Gretzky walks on. He was a whiner and a diver during his heyday - but I guess that's OK because it's Wayne the God.
Isn't that the truth?

I, too, am tiring of hearing the incessant whining about Sid. Not only is it a load of hooey, it reeks of sour grapes.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #973
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Bravo XT!

Isn't that the truth?

I, too, am tiring of hearing the incessant whining about Sid. Not only is it a load of hooey, it reeks of sour grapes.
Exactly right. And this story I'm sure will add to the hate and jealousy that many of these fans feel:

Crosby's points lead impressive to teammates

By Karen Price
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 12, 2007

Sidney Crosby's teammates are used to seeing him accomplish mind-boggling feats on the ice, whether it's scoring a highlight goal or making the perfect pass through traffic.

"Yeah, I think everybody's amazed and impressed by him every day," goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury said. "There are still times when we say 'Holy (expletive), how did he do that?' It's good to have him on my side."

But what the 19-year-old center's doing now -- running away with the NHL scoring race -- has even his teammates in awe. Crosby, who became the youngest player ever to break the 100-point mark in the NHL last year with 102 points in 81 games for sixth in the NHL, has 87 points in 52 games this season.

Going into Sunday's games, he led the Washington Capitals' Alexander Ovechkin, the Atlanta Thrashers' Marian Hossa and the Tampa Bay Lightning's Martin St. Louis by 15 points in the scoring race.

Last season, he had 59 points through the same number of games, and is on pace to top 120 points this season for what could be his first of many Art Ross trophies for the league's top scorer.

"It's incredible," forward Colby Armstrong said. "I think his attitude and the way he approaches every game is key to that. He's ready to play every night and he's focused. He just takes it a game at a time. He never gets caught up in anything, and I think that's the key to his success. I think a lot of people can learn from how he handles himself."

San Jose Sharks center Joe Thornton won the Art Ross last season with 125 points. It was the highest points total since Jaromir Jagr had 127 in 1997-98.

Like last year when the hardware in question was the Calder Trophy for rookie of the year, Crosby will tell anyone who asks that he isn't thinking about trophies except, of course, the Stanley Cup. But his teammates would like to see him win the scoring title, nonetheless.

"He's the ultimate team guy," Armstrong said. "He's always about the team, never about his individual awards. All the success he has, it's great to see because he's such a great guy."

Center Dominic Moore, who played for the New York Rangers last season, believes that Crosby's success is influencing the Penguins' success as a team, and vice versa.

"Last year was his first year and it's clear that he's a lot more comfortable now, a lot more confident now," Moore said. "Last year being on the other side, yeah, I was obviously very intent on stopping him. But to be honest, the team wasn't that effective, so I think that goes hand in hand with it. He feels more confident with his team as well."

When it comes to Crosby, teammate Maxime Talbot said, the sky's the limit.

"I can never imagine what he's going to reach in his career and what he's going to reach the next couple of years," Talbot said. "I guess there's no limit. You can't see where he's going to go. Right now, it's absolutely amazing, though. It's fun to be part of, too, because he's making us win, too."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_492794.html
Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #974
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Coach may soon get more recognition for script behind team's success

By Dave Molinari
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins' better play this season can be accredited to coach Michel Therrien's attention to detail. Here's a look at the team's improvements this year:

The Penguins' 11-0-2 surge lifted the team into a tie with Ottawa for fourth place in the Eastern Conference.

At 29-17-9, the Penguins have won 17 more games than they did at this point last season (12-32-11).

After 55 games, they have 67 points, up from 35 at the same time last winter.

The Penguins have allowed 171 goals through 55 games, an average of 3.1 per game. At this point last season they were giving up 4.04 goals per contest (222).

Goal scoring is up for the Penguins. They have averaged 3.5 goals per game this season compared to 2.76 scores per contest last year at this point.

It was suggested during an NBC broadcast Jan. 13 that Michel Therrien was on the verge of being fired as coach of the Penguins.

It seemed off-the-wall and more than a bit absurd at the time, for a variety of reasons.

Not anymore.

Now, it sounds like the kind of inside information that would come from the business end of a bong.

A few hours after that dire pronouncement about Therrien's future, the Penguins finished off a 5-3 victory in Philadelphia. They haven't lost in regulation since.

So when NBC dispatches a crew here for the game Sunday against Washington, Therrien's job security -- which, in the real world, never was even remotely in doubt -- doesn't figure to come up in the conversation.

But if the broadcasters still want to talk about him, perhaps they could discuss his credentials as a coach of the year candidate. Which are far more valid than some people in the industry might realize.

Although the 11-0-2 surge that has lifted the Penguins into a tie with Ottawa for fourth place in the Eastern Conference is starting to attract attention across the continent -- it's kind of tough to ignore a team that has taken at least one point out of every game for a month -- not much of it has focused on Therrien.

Instead, the talk is of Sidney Crosby, and how he's a serious threat to win his first NHL scoring title and MVP award. How goalie Marc-Andre Fleury has dramatically elevated his game. How the poise and productivity of rookie forwards Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal belie their age and inexperience.

Which, Therrien said, is precisely how it should be.

"I've always been a believer that players deserve the credit," he said. "We write the script, but the actors have to act."

He has a point. Give Tony Dungy a group of awful football players to work with, and you'd end up with a group of well-coached, awful football players.

But it also is true that casting Al Pacino in the lead role won't help if the script is for Bedtime for Bonzo. That's why it's ridiculous to suggest that Therrien and his assistants, Mike Yeo and Andre Savard, have been little more than casual bystanders to what the Penguins have accomplished this season.

"All of them have prepared us to play every game," defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "We still have to go out and do it, but they've told us the way we have to play to win games. And when we've done what they've said, we've won."

When Therrien replaced Eddie Olczyk as coach 14 months ago, he emphasized adding structure, on and off the ice. Practices were demanding, performance critiques tough.

This year, the days off -- like one yesterday -- are more frequent, the decibel level generally lower.

"He's communicated very well with the guys this year," right winger Mark Recchi said. "And he's been very composed in how he's handled things."

That should not be construed as a sign that Therrien is going soft, however.

"He'll still tear a strip off you if he has to," left winger Erik Christensen said.

The fact is, though, that he doesn't often have to, because the players understand what he wants from them.

"It's not a matter that I've mellowed," Therrien said. "They know what the standard is. They know what the standard of our work ethic is. They know the standard for competing. They know the standard for being disciplined. They know what I'm expecting from them."

And the players know what to expect from Therrien: A well-conceived, thorough game plan built on a framework designed to take full advantage of their speed and skill.

"He's brought a system that works so well when it's done right," Christensen said.

Earlier in his career, Therrien had a reputation for being hardwired to coach defensive hockey, for treating it as his alpha and omega. But while that remains the cornerstone of his philosophy, Therrien doesn't shackle the Penguins' gifted players by turning them into one-way automatons.

"We have a plan when we don't have the puck," he said. "And we have a plan when we have the puck."

And a plan for just about everything else. Therrien has an eye for detail, and little tolerance for those who ignore them.

The Penguins might lose games because other teams are more talented or experienced or sharper, but not because those clubs are better-prepared.

"He's done a real good job of realizing what it takes for us to win," Whitney said, "and showing us how to do it."

If that doesn't change, the members of the NHL Broadcasters Association who vote for the Jack Adams Award might begin to take notice, although Therrien insists that's a non-issue for him.

"Honest to God, I don't think about those things," he said. "I'm thinking about the big picture with our team, where we want to be at the end of the year. Where we want to be in a few years."

It will be up to others to realize how far the Penguins have come. And who has helped to lead them there.

Assuming, of course, that it doesn't all go up in smoke.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07043/761344-61.stm
Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #975
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Penguins confident they're the real deal

Canadian Press

2/11/2007 1:29:53 PM

TORONTO (CP) - Pity the team that faces the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

By now it should be clear to everyone in the hockey world that Sid the Kid and the rest of the kids on his Penguins squad will almost surely make the post-season. The question now is just how far they'll go.

"We believe if we play the right way we can beat anybody right now," said veteran Penguins winger Mark Recchi, the lone greybeard on his club. "That's where our confidence is."

That confidence is oozing out of the dressing room of the Eastern Conference's youngest club thanks to an 11-0-2 run in their last 13 games. The Penguins (29-17-9) sit fourth in the Eastern Conference with 67 points, and could even give the New Jersey Devils (74 points) a run for first place in the Atlantic Division.

"We're playing some pretty good hockey," said sophomore superstar Sidney Crosby. "Everyone is contributing. We don't want to look too far ahead, we're just trying to feed off the confidence that we're building."

It's just too tempting to compare this up-and-coming team to the Edmonton Oilers teams of the early 1980s when Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier and Paul Coffey formed a young nucleus that would go on to dominate the decade and win five Stanley Cups.

Now it's Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal - all under the age of 21 but growing by leaps and bounds.

The sky seems to be the limit right now for these flying Penguins.

"It's not like a ****y confidence or anything, it's just that when we come into a game and follow our game plan, we're going to play Penguin hockey," said third-line winger Colby Armstrong.

Penguin hockey is fast and furious. And it's more than Crosby. When his top line with Recchi and Ryan Malone was largely shut down Saturday night by Toronto - Crosby limited to one assist - the second line of Malkin between Staal and Michel Ouellet picked up the slack in a 6-5 overtime win. Staal's first career NHL hat trick, including the OT winner, took the heat off Crosby.

"Last year Sid had a great year but now we have a 1-2 punch and it seems to be working," said the 18-year-old Staal, who has 23 goals. "Evgeni is a great hockey player, he sees the ice so well, I just try to get open and it seems to be working."<

Few people in and around hockey had the Penguins sitting fourth in the East by mid-February given their 29th-place finish in the 30-team league last season.

"The one thing we talked about the first meeting at training camp was changing the attitude here in this organization," said the second-year Armstrong. "(GM) Ray (Shero) came in and brought in some new guys. We started fresh with a new system and everybody jumped on board. It took a little while but we learned together."

The key, says the 39-year-old Recchi, who played on Pittsburgh's first Cup-champion team in 1990-91, is not to feel satisfied now. The most important hockey of the season is still ahead.

"We want to keep pushing forward here," Recchi said. "We're still growing as a team, we're still learning how to win. Now our biggest challenge is to stay consistent, stay focused and make sure we don't have any letdowns in the next little while."

If they play Penguin hockey, the wins will keep coming.

"When we skate like we can, we make it very hard on other teams," said Recchi, won a Cup with Carolina last spring. "We actually haven't been at our best lately but we're finding ways to win and we're learning from that."

Added Staal: "It seems like this team never wants to give up and that's what good teams do. We're never satisfied without a win."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=195852&hubname=nhl
Old 02-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #976
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Coach may soon get more recognition for script behind team's success

By Dave Molinari
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins' better play this season can be accredited to coach Michel Therrien's attention to detail. Here's a look at the team's improvements this year:

The Penguins' 11-0-2 surge lifted the team into a tie with Ottawa for fourth place in the Eastern Conference.

At 29-17-9, the Penguins have won 17 more games than they did at this point last season (12-32-11).

The Penguins have allowed 171 goals through 55 games, an average of 3.1 per game. At this point last season they were giving up 4.04 goals per contest (222).

Goal scoring is up for the Penguins. They have averaged 3.5 goals per game this season compared to 2.76 scores per contest last year at this point.

It was suggested during an NBC broadcast Jan. 13 that Michel Therrien was on the verge of being fired as coach of the Penguins.

It seemed off-the-wall and more than a bit absurd at the time, for a variety of reasons.

Not anymore.

Now, it sounds like the kind of inside information that would come from the business end of a bong.

A few hours after that dire pronouncement about Therrien's future, the Penguins finished off a 5-3 victory in Philadelphia. They haven't lost in regulation since.

So when NBC dispatches a crew here for the game Sunday against Washington, Therrien's job security -- which, in the real world, never was even remotely in doubt -- doesn't figure to come up in the conversation.

But if the broadcasters still want to talk about him, perhaps they could discuss his credentials as a coach of the year candidate. Which are far more valid than some people in the industry might realize.

Although the 11-0-2 surge that has lifted the Penguins into a tie with Ottawa for fourth place in the Eastern Conference is starting to attract attention across the continent -- it's kind of tough to ignore a team that has taken at least one point out of every game for a month -- not much of it has focused on Therrien.

Instead, the talk is of Sidney Crosby, and how he's a serious threat to win his first NHL scoring title and MVP award. How goalie Marc-Andre Fleury has dramatically elevated his game. How the poise and productivity of rookie forwards Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal belie their age and inexperience.

Which, Therrien said, is precisely how it should be.

"I've always been a believer that players deserve the credit," he said. "We write the script, but the actors have to act."

He has a point. Give Tony Dungy a group of awful football players to work with, and you'd end up with a group of well-coached, awful football players.

But it also is true that casting Al Pacino in the lead role won't help if the script is for Bedtime for Bonzo. That's why it's ridiculous to suggest that Therrien and his assistants, Mike Yeo and Andre Savard, have been little more than casual bystanders to what the Penguins have accomplished this season.

"All of them have prepared us to play every game," defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "We still have to go out and do it, but they've told us the way we have to play to win games. And when we've done what they've said, we've won."

When Therrien replaced Eddie Olczyk as coach 14 months ago, he emphasized adding structure, on and off the ice. Practices were demanding, performance critiques tough.

This year, the days off -- like one yesterday -- are more frequent, the decibel level generally lower.

"He's communicated very well with the guys this year," right winger Mark Recchi said. "And he's been very composed in how he's handled things."

That should not be construed as a sign that Therrien is going soft, however.

"He'll still tear a strip off you if he has to," left winger Erik Christensen said.

The fact is, though, that he doesn't often have to, because the players understand what he wants from them.

"It's not a matter that I've mellowed," Therrien said. "They know what the standard is. They know what the standard of our work ethic is. They know the standard for competing. They know the standard for being disciplined. They know what I'm expecting from them."

And the players know what to expect from Therrien: A well-conceived, thorough game plan built on a framework designed to take full advantage of their speed and skill.

"He's brought a system that works so well when it's done right," Christensen said.

Earlier in his career, Therrien had a reputation for being hardwired to coach defensive hockey, for treating it as his alpha and omega. But while that remains the cornerstone of his philosophy, Therrien doesn't shackle the Penguins' gifted players by turning them into one-way automatons.

"We have a plan when we don't have the puck," he said. "And we have a plan when we have the puck."

And a plan for just about everything else. Therrien has an eye for detail, and little tolerance for those who ignore them.

The Penguins might lose games because other teams are more talented or experienced or sharper, but not because those clubs are better-prepared.

"He's done a real good job of realizing what it takes for us to win," Whitney said, "and showing us how to do it."

If that doesn't change, the members of the NHL Broadcasters Association who vote for the Jack Adams Award might begin to take notice, although Therrien insists that's a non-issue for him.

"Honest to God, I don't think about those things," he said. "I'm thinking about the big picture with our team, where we want to be at the end of the year. Where we want to be in a few years."

It will be up to others to realize how far the Penguins have come. And who has helped to lead them there.

Assuming, of course, that it doesn't all go up in smoke.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07043/761344-61.stm

Wow - what an excellent read, XT. It is great to hear the guys talk about Therrien in the positive way they do and know up front what he demands from them. I have respected Therrien from day one and though the Pens have a plethora of talent, I believe a good amount of the credit for their successes this past season can rightfully be attributed to Therrien.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #977
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704

I'm not jealous of Crosby. I've stated numerous times that I think the guy has talent coming out the wazzoo and the best is still yet to come BUT he does whine. IMO....now IMO!!! he's in the class of Darcy Tucker when it comes to whining...not in talent, whining.

I've seen Crosby play hockey when he played in the QMJHL. Lapierre played in the "Q" also....they go back against one another for a few years now.
I've watched TONS of his games.

and about the posts about Crosby's teammates......what did you guys really expect them to say? lol.

Sorry for disagreeing with you guys about Crosby. I really should of known that saying something negative about him would cause such a reaction.
My bad.

I'll not talk anymore in the Crosby "Shrine".

LOL.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #978
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
I'm not jealous of Crosby. I've stated numerous times that I think the guy has talent coming out the wazzoo and the best is still yet to come BUT he does whine. IMO....now IMO!!! he's in the class of Darcy Tucker when it comes to whining...not in talent, whining.

I've seen Crosby play hockey when he played in the QMJHL. Lapierre played in the "Q" also....they go back against one another for a few years now.

and about the posts about Crosby's teammates......what did you guys really expect them to say? lol.

Sorry for disagreeing with you guys about Crosby. I really should of known that saying something negative about him would cause such a reaction.
My bad.

I'll not talk anymore in the Crosby "Shrine".

LOL.
Hey skid - you are entitled to your opinion around here just like everyone else, so please - don't stop those opinions from coming. Us Pens fans may not agree with you on Sid the Kid, but that doesn't mean we can't engage in respectful debate!

On this subject - I think Sid has held his composure extremely well considering he has been subjected to a lot of abuse and cheap shots since he came into the NHL last season. He is very mature for a 19 year old young man and is at a place most players his age (and even older) would love to be in at this point in their careers.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #979
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
This leads me to believe that you are making judgments about his attitude NOW on how you saw him as a juniors player. Is that fair? Wouldn't you expect him to learn and mature? Would you allow yourself to see him, at 19, as a developing personality rather than as a fully formed adult? Most rookies are in their early 20s; most stars are in their mid 20s to mid 30s.

I think you're being hard on the guy. He's learning to let his scoring do the talking, and to let his team back him up when things get hard-nosed.

And; Gretzky was a whiner.

Tom
Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #980
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,011 Times in 3,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Petrovicky vs Newberry Fight: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4nttgE3RUA8

great link. i was hoping to see it again. i only caught it once on the highlights. he was already holding him limp like a coat before that final right hook. beautiful indeed. too bad it took a streacher to get him off the ice. poor dude "you got knocked tha fuhgout!!!
Closed Thread