Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 AM   #111
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Randy Moss To The Patriots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I said they sold their souls for another championship. So far, it really does look like they have sold their souls. Lots of teams have signed deals with the devil, but very few of those deals have panned out. One doesn't sell his soul cheap. And the Pats have built a mold that some of these new players don't fit into.

I think my statement is perfectly logical and justified. We'll all have to wait and see how it works out. But I can say that if the Steelers made these same moves, I would not be happy. I want the Steelers to play fair, and win or lose, be good character guys.
A mold that seemed to fit Bryan Cox, Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillon you mean?

Its a media created impression that we only employ the whitest of the white, what they actually do is recruit the guys who are willing to do what it takes, putting personal ego's on hold or whatever, to make the Patriots a better team.

You better believe that the hardcore vet presense in the Patriots locker room wont allow any destructive behavior to start.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #112
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

As much as it pains me to say this, it looks like the Pats are a shoo-in for title #4. I can't see anyone standing in their way now.

Excuse me while I go and puke...
Old 05-01-2007, 12:37 AM   #113
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,098 Times in 4,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
As much as it pains me to say this, it looks like the Pats are a shoo-in for title #4. I can't see anyone standing in their way now.

they do have offense but i will still take my chances with ike on moss, mcfadden on stallworth (who will likely be out with a hamstring by the time we play), deshea on washington, or whatever other 3rd wr they throw out there and smith and polamalu to cover watson/brady/maroney/faulk or the other wr's they send out. if you hit or sack brady 3 times before halftime, he throws interceptions, regardles of whos wr. (ike is faster than moss if he wants to just chuck it up.)
Old 05-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #114
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

But I also said "It's one thing to take one player at a time and try to reform them, but maybe the Patriots bit off more then they can chew this time?"

There is no sense arguing. It either works for them, or it doesn't, and nobody will know until next season starts, anyway.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #115
silver & black
Team Owner

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines0wnz View Post
The biggest issue with him is that his HCs are always looking over their shoulder. How do you expect to be successful knowing you are on a short leash from a naive "managing partner" (I'm aware of his status in the organization, thank you very much) or owner? He pissed away the best coach the Raiders have had since John Madden in Jon Gruden. And he fired Shanahan only to have his Broncos kick the Raiders tail every year. The he hires a young OC from USC?? Even Pete Carroll doesnt want to HC in the NFL anymore but money talks. It seems sometimes he doesnt know if its 2007 or 1967. This isnt the AFL and his PA should tell him that at least once a day. I respect the hell out of the man but honestly, is he an owner/managing partner that you are proud of? Maybe 15 years ago he would be but not now. The Raiders are a laughing stock and its a damn shame.
I would agree that Al Davis' time has passed. Many of us Raider fans feel that way.

I would also say that this draft showed a loosening of the reigns on Al's part. This draft was damn near all Kiffin. The decision to be rid of Moss was also Kiffin's. Al has said many times since hiring Kiffin that he reminds him of himself in a lot of ways. I think we are going to see this coach have a lot more power than any have had so far... it already is quite apparent that he does.

As far as being proud of Al Davis... no. I have much respect for him, but as I said, I think his time has passed. He was/is a great football man. He has done a lot for pro football. I respect and admire him for that.

John Gruden was not "pissed away", as you say. He and his agent pulled some shady shit in order to get more money... it backfired. The way Gruden paraded himself around on national television with his inuendos of going to Notre Dame or Ohio State while under contract to the Raiders was childish and disrespectful. If he was that unhappy with the money he signed a contract for, he should have been man enough to keep it private between Al and himself and out of the spotlight. what he did was basically the same thing Moss pulled. That turned out the same way.

Gruden isn't so great now, is he? Yeah, he beat us in the Superbowl, or more correct, Dungy did.When you stop and think about it, he should have. He built that Raiders team... he knew every move they would make, every player's strengths and weaknesses... everything about them. How is he doing since Dungy's team is not there anymore?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #116
silver & black
Team Owner

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post

Are you writing the Colts off? If the Colts' D keeps it's playoff form during the 07 season, I think they have an excellent chance of repeating as Superbowl champs.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #117
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts

hey litp,whats the reaction like in patsie land?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #118
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
theyve already pulled out them stupid assed duckboats and are parading them around town.

...oh wait. im not litp

carry on!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #119
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
95% of fans are pumped about the acquisition.

Most of us think that the contract is water tight and low risk - the 1 year nature means that, even if you don't buy into the 'New Randy Moss' talk, he will at least be motivated to put up a good performance to earn his next and probably last big contract.

Most fans are very confident that the FA pick ups, including Moss, have put us over the top in terms of challenging for the SB this year - its nice for Brady to have some genuine quality to throw to this year.

The New England (mostly Boston) media reaction has been typically scathing of the move and has led to alot of angry Patriots fans - I don't think I know of a single group of reporters who are more determined to take the negative outlook on everything their 'home' FO does.

Most of us think that Kraft/Pioli/Belichick have earnt a little breathing room when it comes to personnel decisions.

The NY media has been hilarious, big article yesterday about how the Patriots FA moves have been made because of the pressure of hearing the 'Jets footsteps' creeping up behind them in the AFCE (apperently the Moss move was made because they drafted Darrell Revis - despite it being on the cards for months)

Of course, some fans want to give us the SB ring right now - but thats just over excitement.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:42 AM   #120
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
95% of fans are pumped about the acquisition.

what i find conspicuously odd is the lemming like approach of those 95% of patfans. last year they wouldve been vehemently opposed to such a move. yet as soon as the deal has been struck it turns into another brilliant stroke of genius by pioli and belichick. what is odd is that his services are actually needed less this year than it was last with the upgrades to the passing game with stallworth.

and on the flipside is the steelerfans who act like its a sin for even mentionning bringing moss in. even colbert admitted it was never even a consideration. like i said before, the patriots dont sweat it much if their players smoke pot or were busted on roids in the past (im all for 2nd chances). steelerfans seem like they would rather lose and be "classy".

what gets me is this false image the media portrays of the patriots always targetting "character" and "team" guys. its really a false misrepresentation. the patriots are like the bengals in many regards. they will take the players they feel has the best shot of leading them to wins, regardless. the only difference is the pats always gamble "smart" and their risks have generally paid off. they also have the leadership from the top that allows that.

i think moss has a chance to revive his career with the pats, which is why i started this thread in the 1st place. if he were going to the bengals i would simply laugh and expext the same downward production he found with the raiders.

and while i was off on what the pats shoulda traded for him last season, i really wasnt too far off. the pats traded the 1st from seattle to sf, traded their 2nd to miami, and dont have cassell in their plans anytime soon. all were pretty much disposable pieces. the pats did well by holding off, although i believe they probably woulda had homefield advantage and another sb berth with moss last year.