Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Do You Feel Woman Reporters Belong On The Sidelines?

Although, I know it is not Politically Correct to feel the way I do, I still do not like woman involved in the reporting of the game of football. I feel the only place for a woman, when it comes to football, is at a tailgate party or in the stands as a fan. And I am a woman.

I also do not like a woman doing the nightly news. The women may work in the background but that is a man's job.

No idea why I feel this way but I do:)

Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047
Default Re: Do You Feel Woman Reporters Belong On The Sidelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
Although, I know it is not Politically Correct to feel the way I do, I still do not like woman involved in the reporting of the game of football. I feel the only place for a woman, when it comes to football, is at a tailgate party or in the stands as a fan. And I am a woman.

I also do not like a woman doing the nightly news. The women may work in the background but that is a man's job.

No idea why I feel this way but I do:)

The real politically incorrect but true reply to this would be that it's a predominantly male audience and that's why you have so many beautiful sideline women on TV -- in all honesty, I like a lot of the women better than guys like Joe -- big mouth I had a restraining order slapped on me by Kathy Lee Crosby -- Theismann and Tony --captain of the chess club comb over -- Cornheiser -- anyway -- I'm glad people like you are speaking their mind -- I am not a big fan of political correctness....
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Lyn,

You have a right to your opinion, but I have to respectfully disagree. However, I do think that some female sideline reporters are better than others. I like Pam Oliver on FOX, for example. I think she is very knowledgable. But she is in the minority. It's a sad but true fact that most of these chicks are out there strictly for "eye candy" effect and wouldn't know play formation from their cute little backsides.

Now I do draw the line on women doing play-by-play. Can't see that happening.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphissteelergirl View Post
Lyn,

You have a right to your opinion, but I have to respectfully disagree. However, I do think that some female sideline reporters are better than others. I like Pam Oliver on FOX, for example. I think she is very knowledgable. But she is in the minority. It's a sad but true fact that most of these chicks are out there strictly for "eye candy" effect and wouldn't know play formation from their cute little backsides.

Now I do draw the line on women doing play-by-play. Can't see that happening.
I have no idea if this is true or not because I did not investigate it LOL but I heard that these women have mics in their ear and the men tell them what to say. I find that really hard to believe because some of them say the dumbest things. And you are oh so right on the eye candy thing! It is not enough that we have cheerleaders who are dressed like something out of the Sports Illustrated issue. (bathing suit edition). I think the reason I feel the way I do is because I do not look atr iot as a step up. I look at it as woman being used as sex objects.

Thanks so much for your response!~
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,122 Times in 3,090 Posts

ashleigh banfield with msnbc's 9-11 coverage was sooooo HOT! especially with her 60's style glasses....

Ho Chi momma and the Mihn trail she rode in on!

and as good as lisa guerrero was to look at i do prefer a little more substance, and someone who doesnt proceede every report with "well Al" [michaels]...

michelle tafoya is good. actually alot of them are decent. but noone will top o.j. or swann.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
sumo
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ashleigh banfield with msnbc's 9-11 coverage was sooooo HOT! especially with her 60's style glasses....

Ho Chi momma and the Mihn trail she rode in on!

and as good as lisa guerrero was to look at i do prefer a little more substance, and someone who doesnt proceede every report with "well Al" [michaels]...

michelle tafoya is good. actually alot of them are decent. but noone will top o.j. or swann.
YEAH!! -- bring back OJ -- that will go over great with women everywhere...
Old 10-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I mostly switch off (mentally) when the female reporters appear on the screen during the game - all they bring is statements that fail to go beyond the blindingly obvious - all brought to you with a gossip column delivery.

There is nothing wrong at all with a woman woking the sidelines as long as she can bring a little thoughtful analysis to the party.

As women will never play pro-football they have an uphill task trying to convince me that they actually care enough about football to actually do some research.

Of course, alot of the male presenters are airheads aswell - and they dont even get the eye candy vote.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Personally, I think if a woman really knows the game, does her homework and can hold her own in sports reporting, more power to her, but quite honestly, those women reporters/analysts are few and far between in recent times, imo, other than past and present female Olympiads who color commentate at gymnastics, skiing and figure skating competitions. The only female sports reporter who I feel comes even remotely close to my "qualifications" above is Suzy Kolber. (I'm not sure if Suzy really is a woman - that adam's apple looked quite prominent the last time I saw her on the tube - LOL!)

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I agree with LITP and HTG, it's the substance that matters. There's enough eye candy with the cheerleaders.

I think that what we're seeing is talented women being deliberately marginalized; given a TV football reporting job, but not a good one and not one in which they're allowed any depth. They do the best with what they're given, IMO. I wouldn't mind at all if a woman with some talent and some insight did play by play, or color commentary; that would be cool, I'd think. It couldn't be worse than about 80% of the national announcers.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
sumo
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I agree with LITP and HTG, it's the substance that matters. There's enough eye candy with the cheerleaders.

I think that what we're seeing is talented women being deliberately marginalized; given a TV football reporting job, but not a good one and not one in which they're allowed any depth. They do the best with what they're given, IMO. I wouldn't mind at all if a woman with some talent and some insight did play by play, or color commentary; that would be cool, I'd think. It couldn't be worse than about 80% of the national announcers.

Tom
So it would be no big deal if she looked like saaaay John Madden?