Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts
Default Cowher: Reid will return punts and kicks Sunday

Coach Bill Cowher said today that rookie Willie Reid will be active and return punts and kickoffs when the Steelers play at the San Diego Chargers Sunday night.

Also, Cowher said cornerback Ricardo Colclough will not play against the Chargers because of a neck injury that could sideline the former No. 2 pick for a longer period of time. The decision came after Colclough underwent tests this morning to determine the severity of his injury.

Reid, a No. 3 draft pick who has not dressed for any of the first three games, will split the punt-return duties with rookie No. 1 Santonio Holmes, who will continue to handle punts near the goalline. Reid and Holmes will also be paired together on kick returns

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06278/727711-100.stm

I suppose Coclough's injury could have shown up 10 days after a game but it looks suspicious. As long as it gets Coclough off the return team I don't care if it is a real injury or not.

If that is the excuse that is needed to cover for the previous mistake of waiting until Coclough cost the team a game, so be it.

Let's hope Reid delivers on our expectations.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,808 Times in 4,471 Posts
Default Re: Cowher: Reid will return punts and kicks Sunday

lets hope reid doesnt fumble the first time he gets clobbered by a real nfl coverage unit in his 1st action in a game that matters. i dont think he will, and im thinking he better focus on looking the ball into his hands and then worry about running upfield.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

Quote:
PITTSBURGH - Barring any changes between now and Sunday's 8:15 p.m. kickoff in San Diego, Santonio Holmes will take over as the Pittsburgh Steelers' primary punt returner.

That means the rookie wide receiver out of Ohio State, drafted by the Steelers with the 25th overall pick of the first round, will have a chance to "get some touches" as a punt returner, kickoff returner and pass catcher.

On the Steelers' latest depth chart, Holmes is listed as the No. 1 punt returner. Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson is the backup.

Advertisement

For the Steelers' first three games, Holmes and cornerback Ricardo Colclough took turns returning punts.

Rookie wide receiver Willie Reid, a third-round pick out of Florida State, isn't listed on the punt return team's two-deep depth chart. So it's unlikely he'll dress Sunday when the Steelers (1-2) play the Chargers (2-1) at Qualcomm Stadium.

"I guess (the coaches) have trust in me to be that guy," Holmes said after practice Wednesday.

"I'd like to think of myself as someone who can make great decisions with the ball. I'm a guy who likes to have the ball in my hands. I don't like putting the ball on the ground. When you put the ball on the ground (with a fumble), that hurts your team and it hurts your confidence."

Colclough lost his job as a punt returner when he fumbled a fourth-quarter punt in the Sept. 24 home loss to Cincinnati. The Bengals, trailing 17-14 at the time, took the lead for good one play after Colclough's muff.

As a senior at Ohio State, Holmes led the Buckeyes with 53 catches for 977 yards and 11 touchdowns. He also averaged 12.8 yards on 11 punt returns and 21.7 yards on 11 kickoff returns.

So far this season for the Steelers, Holmes has caught five passes for 51 yards as the Steelers' No. 4 wideout behind starters Hines Ward and Wilson and No. 3 receiver Nate Washington. He's handled five punts - three fair catches included. He's averaged 8.0 yards on the two punts he has returned. He's also averaged 22.2 yards on five kickoff returns.

At his weekly press conference Tuesday, coach Bill Cowher said he was satisfied with Holmes' progress.

"Every time I see (Cowher), he just says 'Keep up the good work and continue studying your play book,' " said Holmes, the only wide receiver taken in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

"My job is to become an impact player with this team. So every time I get an opportunity, I'll try to make things happen."
Not sure if Reid is going to be the back-up PR, or what the deal is. This is from today's Beaver County Times.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts

The Post-Gazette story went online this afternoon. Beaver County-Times reporter apparently guessed wrong or was given bad information (given all the self-serving quotes from the #1 draft pick, sounds like his main source was Holmes).
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Well Santonio certainly doesn't lack confidence.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I say he returns on this week....
Old 10-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06278/727711-100.stm

Let's hope Reid delivers on our expectations.[/QUOTE]

I'll leave the cyanide at home until after the KC game. All I want out of Reid is a special teams TD late in the third quarter and 130 yards receiving.

Okay seriously. Confidence and ball control with just 'flashes' of good things to come in his career is the most I'm really expecting. Anything else is icing on the cake.

70,000 people shouting on a Sunday night on national television is a fair amount of pressure for a rookie. I'll be holding my breath.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

After last week, I just want him to catch the damn ball.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #9
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lets hope reid doesnt fumble the first time he gets clobbered by a real nfl coverage unit in his 1st action in a game that matters. i dont think he will, and im thinking he better focus on looking the ball into his hands and then worry about running upfield.
Well said. It seems like Santonio is too anxious to show what he can do after the catch, and Coclough, well, that goes without saying. Hopefully Reid will at least give us a solid performance, and maybe show a few flashes of his potential.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i think if he fumbles 1 time then santonio holmes will start