Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #21
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109
Default Re: Patriots are lucky!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywater
At least do 1 minute worth of fact checking before you make a weak arguement.
Why don't you catch up on the posts already on our board before assuming everyone wanted Plax. Again you never answered why he(Brown) deserved a paycut. At least we were honest with Jerome about what we expect and what we would pay.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:52 AM   #22
Dirtywater
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
Why don't you catch up on the posts already on our board before assuming everyone wanted Plax. Again you never answered why he(Brown) deserved a paycut. At least we were honest with Jerome about what we expect and what we would pay.

Let's play catch up, shall we? Did you read what I wrote:

Quote:
Well, I used to frequent other Steelers forums before here, and they sure let me know how 'awesome' and 'great' Plax was.
I didn't think reading comprehension could be so hard.

As for Brown, he didn't deserve a pay cut. Who ever deserves a pay cut? Facts are facts. Troy's time as a WR on our team diminished with the emergence of Branch and Givens. Add at the time Patten, and Troy was facing being a 4th or 5th WR if you factor in Bethel Johnson.

Going into this season, the Pats added Tim Dwight and David Terrell. Subtract Patten and he faced falling to 5th if Dwight makes the team. So, his playing time could have potentially fallen even more. We added players, cap numbers go up and well, it wasn't cost effective to have his original cap number. Those are the facts. You can't live in Candyland, where it's all puppy dogs and ice cream. Belichick still repsected the man, but he knew in order to keep him he would have to take a pay cut. Did he deserve it? No. But this is a business, and you don't win championships in the salary cap era by constantly rewarding past performance with every player. It's impossible.

We, you and every other team faces the same issues each season. It's how you deal with it that seperates the winners and losers. And finally, like I said, it obviously didn't bother him that much as he turned down both more money and more of a role to play in New Orleans.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:17 AM   #23
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

NO ? or NE? Let me see? What the Hell, I`d go to NE to, if that were my choices.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #24
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Im amazed at how consistently that posters on this forum seem to have absolutely no concept of the salary cap and how its works.
Maybe this is because alot of you still rooting for the 70's Steelers?!

The patriots are running an extremely efficient organisation. They look after the needs of the team & franchise before the needs of a single player.

Ill agree it seemed harsh to dangle Troy out in the cold, but this is a business - the business of winning Superbowls.

Maybe I can find a link to a site where the whole concept of salary cap is explained point by point to help to the slower of you guys.

Regards

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:25 AM   #25
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

I have a fair understanding of the cap my friend. Enough to know that you didn't just drop his salary a notch like a regular employee who has to tighten his belt cause the budget is tight. You cut him off the entire team! And when you go from a few million to a couple hundred thousand, I would want to stay where I wouldn't have to buy a new house and move my family too. Not to mention its was NO. Just want to see how a team who prides itself on not being selfish responds to a "corporate" decesion that was nothing but.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #26
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

You really still dont grasp the salary cap despite your protestations otherwise IRONCITYCHIEF.

Quite simply - for a team as succesful as the New England Patriots there isnt enough salary to go round in order that everyone is paid what they are worth.

The Pats admin would have said to Troy - Well done on an excellent season, you are part of Patriots folklore - however he is getting on in years and the only thing the administration really care about is the UPCOMING years performance....not some wishy washy sentimental pay-off.

The bottom line is that the Pats were nothing but fair with all their players - they give them the figure they are willing to pay them for their services - if the player wants it - he takes it...simple.

If he doesn't - he can take the Lawyer Milloy/ Ted Washington option and go for the pay day at the expense of a realistic shot at another ring.

It just goes to show what very little ammo you have to shoot our way when you keep moaning and whining about a player we have actually re-signed.

Regards and Never-ending Patience

NM
Old 07-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #27
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Not getting testy are you? Just wanted to know from a NE fan if you thought Brown was treated "fairly". Guess you are okay with it...as long as you keep winning so we'll see how it turns out . Speaking of little ammo, did you typically surf Steelers boards when you were the laughing stock of the league or just cause you won the last Super Bowl?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #28
Dirtywater
Draft Prospect

Quote:
I have a fair understanding of the cap my friend. Enough to know that you didn't just drop his salary a notch like a regular employee who has to tighten his belt cause the budget is tight. You cut him off the entire team!
Guy, I have no doubt you are an intelligent man, but again, you have the story wrong. We offered to restructure his existing deal at the end of the season to make cap room. He refused and knew by refusing he would be cut. Pretty common practice in the NFL, no? The picture you painted above is deceiving at best and a lie at worst.

Last edited by Dirtywater; 07-16-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Dirtywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #29
Dirtywater
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Not getting testy are you? Just wanted to know from a NE fan if you thought Brown was treated "fairly". Guess you are okay with it...as long as you keep winning so we'll see how it turns out . Speaking of little ammo, did you typically surf Steelers boards when you were the laughing stock of the league or just cause you won the last Super Bowl?

And there it is. the real ironcitychef comes out. When backed into a corner of his own bad logic, he spits out the only line he can think of. One that is both irrelevant and wrong.

Let's see. The majority of the forums for football became popular around maybe '99, give or take a year in either direction. So, two things. First off, our team wasn't playing great at that time (Hello Pette Carroll, lol) so why would we talk smack. I guess that is something you would do? Again, bad logic. Second, where would we have posted if that was the case?

Your inference that we have bad fans has now become pure comedy. Label us all you want fella, it's all good. As a die-hard fan, I learned around age 10 that all teams have good and bad fans. Again, common sense. Should we even begin to talk about all those empty seats at Heinze during our playoff game once your team faced adversity? Not worth it IMHO cause I'm adult enough to know that the true fans stuck with their team no matter what.

Man, sometimes it's OK to admit you were wrong. I've done it here. Clevestinks pointed out my error in the Plax situation on this forum and I took it like a man. Clevestinks did the same in the Ty Law thread. Admitting you are wrong is a bitch, but we'd all actually think more of you. No need for the cheapshots when your argument goes south.

I know you're used to dealing with pushovers when it comes to Pats fans, but you've picked on the wrong guy.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:03 PM   #30
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
I dont believe that the internet was that popular a tool back then.

Speaking of tools........