Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-23-2005, 11:39 AM   #51
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109
Default Re: Patriots are lucky!!!

Didn't want to get things stirred up, but wanted to check another stat with you NE fans. Heard a NE fan(??was looking forawrd to another SB win and greatest dynasty ever label) on the radio say he was upset because a couple of years ago Troy had redone his contract for the good of the team and his money was pushed toward the end of the contract. Team this with the fact they didn't end up giving him the bonuses plus saying he wasn't the same player cause of age or injury(even though he played extra downs on both sides), and I still say it was a bad move. Just wanted that second source on if he gave up money for the good of the team. If so, he must really love the Pats and in my opinion is getting abused.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #52
Dirtywater
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
Didn't want to get things stirred up, but wanted to check another stat with you NE fans. Heard a NE fan(??was looking forawrd to another SB win and greatest dynasty ever label) on the radio say he was upset because a couple of years ago Troy had redone his contract for the good of the team and his money was pushed toward the end of the contract. Team this with the fact they didn't end up giving him the bonuses plus saying he wasn't the same player cause of age or injury(even though he played extra downs on both sides), and I still say it was a bad move. Just wanted that second source on if he gave up money for the good of the team. If so, he must really love the Pats and in my opinion is getting abused.

Ironcity, IMHO you are making way to big a deal of this. It's not like Troy is paying the Pats to play. It's a game. He gets a healthy salary over the average Joe who works for a living to play a game he loves.

In NE, this is a non-issue. You can't pay and be loyal to everyone. You just can't. Again, hate the system, not the ones who have to abide by the system if that makes sense. It's kind of funny how obsessed you are with this. It was an issue for a day or two once he was cut. Belichick still refers to Brown as the best leader he has ever had. Selfless player who will do anything for the team. Doesn't mean he is the best player, but he exeplifies what a player should be. There is only so much money in the pot. If we want to keep winning, hard choices need to be made. Once he re-signed, it wasn't even thought of.

I learned my lesson after the Celtics Big 3. We kept them due to loyalty and as a result we are still suffereing to this day for those bad decisions. Yes in a Candyland/Puppy Dog kind of way it would be nice to pay everyone the max amount, but it is just not possible. Not only that, but Brown had a chance to make more money if that what was so important to him but it wasn't. Every team will face these decisions and you just can't keep everyone. It is a business. Because of his salary, we cannow sign other players who may make an impact on our way to a 4th ring. To Troy, that is more important than the personal goal of more cash. He also makes up a lot of money in endorsments in NE. He is going to be a figure here, making plenty of acsh, for years to come as a fan and media favorite. You need to consider that as well.

This is not meant to anger you, just to again remind you of the situation at hand. When I speak to Troy I'll let him know that the Ironcitychef is concernened about him. I'm sure he'll get a smile. :)
Old 07-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #53
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Dude, take it easy and read the post again. Didn't want to ruffle just wanted to know if you had anything that said "Brown redoes contract for betterment of team" showing that money was to be postponed then Brown ends up getting the short end. I was not aware of this as a Steeler fan. So I made a post to you all as NE fans. Now if you want me to pull up an article on how the Steelers don't redo contracts in the middle then redoing Tommy's contract fine, I'll do that. But since I only asked for one little bit of homework, as you all are the authority on all things NE, then don't bust my chops cause I just wanted to double check whether you promised the money to Troy or not. Not obsessed, just thought it was a new angle that we might have been able to discuss in a rational way. Maybe since I tried to involve a NE fan that makes it impossible.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #54
Dirtywater
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Dude, take it easy and read the post again. Didn't want to ruffle

You know what sucks about message boards? The true tone of a poster can never be put through. I really wasn't upset over your post at all. Sorry if it came across that way. If anything, it was more laughter on my part based on your "obsession." :)
Old 07-26-2005, 02:13 AM   #55
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Was hoping so cause I've been busy and can barely keep up on all new posts let alone a battle in the BF.:) Anyway, Troy aside just wanted to discuss it as a case study type thing cause we have asked some Steelers to restructure deals but I don't think we have cut any yet...combined with TO's stance on his contract I kinda just wanted lean this thread toward players vs. management in the NFL versus say you and your boss in the outside world. Say if you got promised money and didn't get it would you stay loyal? Two things, I guess just asking to watch other players deals and restructures versus the teams return commitment to them in future years(maybe in the modern cap era stuff like this becomes the new norm?), and two just wanted to know if Troy really did restructure the first time to save NE some room as the fan on the radio said(like to know all my facts, the real me can't sleep not knowing). If you come across anything it would be great on a personal "obession" note. Thanks DW.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #56
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywater
You know what sucks about message boards? The true tone of a poster can never be put through. I really wasn't upset over your post at all. Sorry if it came across that way. If anything, it was more laughter on my part based on your "obsession." :)

thats why we love emoticons! :D :)
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #57
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

This is what intrigues me about this is it could set the tone for NFL in the future. NHL brought the players to their knees(granted they needed it), the NBA is starting age limits, and the MLB is buried in drug talks. The NFL had it good but considering its contracts are not sure money, it could be important to watch how these cap games start to take effect on labor negotations with more players sitting out, Drew representing them with a hard line, just the business side of football playing itself out. Has made the offseason intersting to me.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:42 AM   #58
Dirtywater
Draft Prospect

Quote:
This is what intrigues me about this is it could set the tone for NFL in the future. NHL brought the players to their knees(granted they needed it), the NBA is starting age limits, and the MLB is buried in drug talks. The NFL had it good but considering its contracts are not sure money, it could be important to watch how these cap games start to take effect on labor negotations with more players sitting out, Drew representing them with a hard line, just the business side of football playing itself out. Has made the offseason intersting to me.

Well that is for the NFLPA to fight. It's their deal. The thing that is different about the NFL is the 53 man roster, high risk of injury and the guarenteed signing bonuses. There is no way they are going to get guaranteed contracts. This will be Rosenhaus' lost fight.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:54 AM   #59
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

"Alright then as a Pats fan, what is your take on asking Troy to do double duty, then leave him hanging come contract time? Who deserves the money more than Troy on your team?"

Troy Brown did his thing and the Patriots did theirs, and when all was said and done they got back together. It's just that simple. As far as double duty, if he's asked, he'll do it. That's just the way he is. I hope he isn't asked though. I think he has another good year at WR in him if they'll just use him situationaly. He can still get open.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #60
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

to my NE buddies...I am watching the H. Ward talks as of late and I will be ready with an apology or similar statement of dissapointment if Ward must go elsewhere. Don't think it will happen, but the fact we didn't get it done on the first try leaves us open for involvement on this "lucky" thread if he does resign his contract. Lets just hope we don't have to cut him later, too.:) Also thanks for your input on my offseason "project" of players and their loyalty vs. salaries.